/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Other religions section?

Fishman
11-03-2007, 07:59 PM
:sl:
Do you think it would be good if there was a sub section of comparative religion where people can just talk about their different beliefs and compare them to each other? Like the current comparative religion section, but without the debates. For example, somebody could post their religion's opinion on a theological or social issue, and then somebody else could say 'that's interesting, its the same as what I believe' and go on to explain, or, if they believe something different they could tell everybody what they believe about it and why. It would all be conducted politely and non-heatedly in a respectful manner, so that people can learn about what others believe.

What do you think? I think it would be a good change to the usual Christianity vs. Islam debates on the main part of comparative religion.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
11-03-2007, 08:36 PM
what you are proposing is to make the comparative religion section really be comparative religion rather than "mine is better" "the reason why yours really stinks" "all of you are idiots - there is no god!" etc etc.
i'm all for it!

Fishman
11-03-2007, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
what you are proposing is to make the comparative religion section really be comparative religion rather than "mine is better" "the reason why yours really stinks" "all of you are idiots - there is no god!" etc etc.
i'm all for it!
Yup. Pretty much. But if we improve the existing section rather than making a new one the people who want to argue mindlessly will just stay on. A separate place would probably be better...

And why am I completely obsessed with ending my posts with '...' ?

NoName55
11-03-2007, 09:38 PM
one comparative forum is more than enough

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
snakelegs
11-03-2007, 11:58 PM
i agree - 2 comparative religion sections would be dreadful. if there were a way to change what we have now, to make it really comparative religion, that would be cool. but no, i wouldn't want to see 2 of them either.

sevgi
11-04-2007, 05:56 AM

i think the current comparitive religion section is meant to be the way you have described it to be...we just keep on debating!!!

the mods do try to keep the debates at a low...its sort of inevitable that their arise some neagtive air in comparitive religion...people tend to get immensely defensive and it is where bias shines...not everyone is as open minded as some others...

perhaps it would be better to suggest that the 'debate' rules be tightened...lol..i dno how, but thats where the mods start scratching their heads.

its nice of you to be concerned...inshallah a solution can be found.

aqsakhan
11-16-2007, 08:22 AM
u mean to get agreed at certain point which is common between the two talked about religions?

sevgi
11-17-2007, 04:57 AM
sorry....is that directed at me????

Jayda
11-17-2007, 05:02 AM
hola

i don't think it is possible to have civil conversations like as you are proposing... there is too much vitriol and polemics. besides comparitive religion is a meaningless phrase... it's just a euphamism for proselytism.

que Dios te bendiga

sevgi
11-17-2007, 05:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
hola

i don't think it is possible to have civil conversations like as you are proposing... there is too much vitriol and polemics. besides comparitive religion is a meaningless phrase... it's just a euphamism for proselytism.

que Dios te bendiga
i beg to differ.

'comparitive religion' is a means of putting two beliefs side by side and drawing out similarities and diffrences.

if this LEADS to prostelytism then thats wonderful(depending one whos view u look at it from)...it implies a deeper understanding of the 'other'- to the extent which one has become in totally sync with the beliefs of the other and chooses to adopt those diffrences and similarities.

i hope i have been able to show u how very difrent these are...it is quite wrong to think that all people who are out there to build interfaith relations and understanding rather than tolerance are out to convert...

comparitive religion and interfaith work come from humans.
conversion comes from God.

peace:)

barney
11-17-2007, 05:13 AM
Comparative religion is ALWAYS going to be a hot potato!

The idea that we can all go in there and say "oooh thats interesting, heres what i think" is lovely, but we are Human and we all have inflexible fixed beleifs in theology, so even the most well meaned debate is at some point going to escalate.
the point it always escalates at is when someone hasnt got a answer for a question and kneejerks into an attack on a persons culture or religion, but most commonly a personal attack on that person. "Immature" "Limited capacity for reason" "Mindless drivel"" no command of English". it's often phrased in a smarmy self rightious way and unfortunatly cuts the debate dead, the general reaction to such attacks is retaliation, and then the thread gets locked or removed, just as the major issues are being dealt with. I'm guilty I admit of some or all of the above.
:)

I think that the OP has a good point. Lets be able to hold a good, lively, thought provoking discussion, which at times is going to say things we really dont like to hear, and be able to say "Meh...So what". It's fine to bail out of something your losing a arguement on without losing face. just let it drift down your subscribed threads until it vanishes!

Jayda
11-17-2007, 05:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
i beg to differ.

'comparitive religion' is a means of putting two beliefs side by side and drawing out similarities and diffrences.

if this LEADS to prostelytism then thats wonderful(depending one whos view u look at it from)...it implies a deeper understanding of the 'other'- to the extent which one has become in totally sync with the beliefs of the other and chooses to adopt those diffrences and similarities.

i hope i have been able to show u how very difrent these are...it is quite wrong to think that all people who are out there to build interfaith relations and understanding rather than tolerance are out to convert...

comparitive religion and interfaith work come from humans.
conversion comes from God.

peace:)
gracias sumeyye, perhaps i am too sweeping in my statement :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.