/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Clothing

andrea44
11-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Are women forced to totally cover up if they chose to convert or is it a personal decision?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ummzayd
11-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Hello Andrea, peace to you.

The verses of covering in the qur'an are clear. It is a requirement for a believing Muslim woman to wear hijab, which is a scarf covering the hair and long loose clothing covering the rest of the body.

However there is no specified punishment in the shariah for not covering.

Because there can be a certain stigma attached to hijab, many converts find it difficult to start wearing it. In these circumstances it is usually advised to take things one step at a time. Pressuring a woman to wear hijab when she doesn't feel comfortable with it could be disastrous.

Like many women who become Muslim, it took me nearly a year before I started covering properly. It was a gradual process, first wearing longer skirts and long sleeves without hijab; then wearing a scarf sometimes only. Eventually I wore a scarf every time I went out.

At no time did anyone ever try to force me. I guess if I had ever buttonholed any Muslim and told them hijab isn't necessary they would have argued back that it certainly is necessary. but as a new Muslim, other things were always emphasised to me more than hijab - prayer, tawheed (oneness of Allah) for example.

peace

andrea44
11-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I dress and act very conservative anyway ,so I wondered why I needed to do more.

What do you think is the first step?

I am mainly uncomfortable with wearing any covering because I guess I feel its being negative toward women.

Malaikah
11-05-2007, 07:41 AM
Hi,

It isn't negative at all :). It is in fact an elevation of status, a sign of respect and modesty. It is a protect from those men who are perverted or see women as objects, or who might mean well but have little self control.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
11-05-2007, 07:42 AM
hi,
I am mainly uncomfortable with wearing any covering because I guess I feel its being negative toward women.
please dont look at it in that sense. the covering is what makes the msulim women respeceted and seen as a human, not as an object. if you follow the gaze a man who sees a women half dressed, trust me, he aint looking at her becuase of respect. lol...try it, you'll now what i mean:okay:
:sunny:

andrea44
11-05-2007, 07:48 AM
i get looked at badly by guys daily- and i hate it...

i understand the reasoning for the clothing-but i think i also have a difficulty getting into learning about islam because there isnt anyone near by to teach me.

andrea44
11-05-2007, 07:50 AM
what i meant by "i get looked at badly daily" is that some men-yea all they think about are sexual stuff-and i have such a hard time finding a decent man.

i understand that its respect for women and all, but-i guess i second guess things like that because in the beginning of learning about islam, all i knew were the negative things that america "teaches".

Al-Zaara
11-05-2007, 08:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
hi,

please dont look at it in that sense. the covering is what makes the msulim women respeceted and seen as a human, not as an object. if you follow the gaze a man who sees a women half dressed, trust me, he aint looking at her becuase of respect. lol...try it, you'll now what i mean:okay:
:sunny:
She says she dresses conservative, and trust me, many woman who don't have the hijab are also respected. There are lots of non-Muslim women who rarely dress in a provocative way (ia half naked, short skirts, tops etc) and men don't look at them with 'that eye'. :D Beauty is more than just skin-deep.

Andrea, it took me a little time to be strong enough and wear the hijab, as I was so young and afraid of being 'rejected' by people. No one can deny I didn't dress very conservative before and when I started the hijab not many were too shocked. Elhamdulillah, it wasn't that difficult after all! If you feel unsecure, try out hijab styles and see how it looks like. Don't be too negative on yourself, and I do believe it will fit you. Buy some scarves etc, get yourself prepared kinda. Be around some Muslimahs who observe the hijab and you'll see how they have it, don't be afraid to ask questions.

First step is to revert to Islam. Most important is your intentions (niyaah). When you believe, you'll gradually start to understand things better.

You know most men I've met in my life, they have long sleeved jackets and long pants on, and actually most is covered. Then if you'd take a guy with a bare chest and shorts on to stand beside the other guys, you see the difference. With the 'covered' guy, you might feel more comfortable, 'cause let's admit; Most of us don't want to see a man's hairy feet. :giggling:

In Islam, the female AND male body is something you must be careful with. Think about it, what do you need your hair for, in sense to show it? Seriously, is it really just freedom? My opinion is most people will admit, hair makes one attractive, sometimes it could be fatal if the person is considered pretty. You want to show off, in a way or another. Human nature I guess. Using fitting clothes and so, you ARE maybe not begging, but wanting attention. Some say 'I do it for myself', yeah, you can do that! But you can't be that ignorant, believing it still counts as ONLY doing it for you, when you mingle with other people! Mostly, we want people to have a good impression of oneself, and being beautiful is considered often a good impression (?). So you think how you can make yourself attractive to other people.

As I said earlier, beauty isn't skin-deep. We say true beauty comes from inside, and sometimes the shell kan decive. True strength comes from within, you're problem is you gotta find it. I'm not saying you gotta look like trash now or something, so you won't cause attention. I'm saying think again why you see the hijab as negative. Is it because of what the media says about Muslim woman in for example, Afganistan? Or what? I recommend to learn more about Islam first, to be sure of one's decision inshaAllah (god willingly).

I'm sorry for the loong post. :hiding: Take care!

ummzayd
11-05-2007, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by andrea44
what i meant by "i get looked at badly daily" is that some men-yea all they think about are sexual stuff-and i have such a hard time finding a decent man.

i understand that its respect for women and all, but-i guess i second guess things like that because in the beginning of learning about islam, all i knew were the negative things that america "teaches".
yes I can understand that. A few years before I became Muslim I too believed that covered women were oppressed in some way. That's what we are all encouraged to believe by the media.

The truth is that covering entirely including the hair forces people to relate to you as a human being not a sex object or a 'pretty little thing'.

There has been some good advice to you already. I would just say that at this stage it is important to study Islam, learn about Allah and His divine attributes, learn about worship and begin to worship Him as He wishes you to. Insha'Allah as you increase in knowledge your desire and determination to wear hijab proudly and confidently will become irresistible....

peace

Ummu Sufyaan
11-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Edit

Esther462
11-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Andrea

I've been a Muslim for all most 3 weeks now. The advices the others are giving you is brillent.
I personal has settled into covering up really quickly. All the clothes I wear is mostly what own before I became a Muslim. I wear long sleaves tops under my t-shirts and I wear legging under skirts that are too short. I just make sure that my skin is not showing when I'm out and about. I did that over my 1st 2 weeks after I convernted.
With wearing the Hijab, I was wearing it my home and when I prayed after I converted. I was very nervios about wearing outside my house for the 1st time. As I've been weaing it for a week now all the time, it would feels strainage not wear it outside my home.
I feel a lot happier and I feel safer as a person when I'm outside my home.
That is my own expeances and I'm still very new to the faith.
As the others said, you just need to take things in your own time and you do things when you feel happy to take the next step with your clothes and personaly.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-05-2007, 02:23 PM
the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam said that the wives are the garments of the husband and likewise the husband the garments of the wives...

women are like pearls... they should be hidden, and only shown to who they r meant 4...

the feelings inside of self-hate should be enough to show which path is correct..

UmmSqueakster
11-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I didn't put a scarf until about 6 months after I converted. It was something that grew on me as time progressed. No muslim pressured me into it. The more I read, the more I felt that it was an act of worship, and that by putting it on, I provided a good example to society of what a muslim woman is - someone who is not oppressed, who goes to school, works, is friendly, smart, etc etc etc.

Iprofess is an excellent site for those interested in Islam. Check the section on women, which includes a section on hijab.

As for learning about Islam, my yahoo is always open. I think it's in my profile, and if not, I'll add it. My husband works evenings, so I'm online quite a few times during the week.

Al-Zaara
11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
:sl:
yes, and i didn't say that she didn't.
Aleykum selam,

I was actually more generally speaking.

unfortunatley men who see women half dressed look beyond that factor.....
So? I wasn't thinking about the men. I was thinking about her. A hijab doesn't "cover/destroy" her beauty if she or anyone would 'fear' that, 'cause beauty is also from within.

andrea44
11-05-2007, 07:28 PM
thanks for all of your replies!

i think i need to start learning about the religion through reading stuff first before jumping into anything.

for me, personally, i have already stopped doing all the "bad" stuff like sex, drinking, etc-
i have totally stopped all of that and am very committed to waiting and finding a good worth while guy instead of rushing-at least im trying not to rush.

so that part i am conservative about now-

and i already wear long sleeves and all and thats bc i naturally dont go around wearing "****ty' stuff- bc its degrading

ummzayd
11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by andrea44
thanks for all of your replies!

i think i need to start learning about the religion through reading stuff first before jumping into anything.

for me, personally, i have already stopped doing all the "bad" stuff like sex, drinking, etc-
i have totally stopped all of that and am very committed to waiting and finding a good worth while guy instead of rushing-at least im trying not to rush.

so that part i am conservative about now-

and i already wear long sleeves and all and thats bc i naturally dont go around wearing "****ty' stuff- bc its degrading
Hi, I think that's a good decision. I hope you will look up the websites that others have pointed you towards, there's a lot of really good stuff there.

It sounds like you have consciously made a lot of changes to your life, that's really great. :sunny:

May God bless you and guide you towards the straight path, and bless you with a good and pious spouse who was worth waiting for ameen. :D

peace

Intisar
11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Hello, well it is an obligation (fardh in Arabic) for a woman to cover herself up completely. It is said repeatedly in the Quran, and this is for the reason that believing women are free from harm and annoyances. Men will be forced to look at your personality, and not your outward appearance.

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful. Soorah Al-Ahzaab 33.59"

It is also used as a distinction between believing women and non-believing women (as said in the Ayat from the Quraan). Hope I was of benefit. :)

ummzayd
11-05-2007, 08:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
Hello, well it is an obligation (fardh in Arabic) for a woman to cover herself up completely. It is said repeatedly in the Quran, and this is for the reason that believing women are free from harm and annoyances. Men will be forced to look at your personality, and not your outward appearance.

"O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e.screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And Allah is Ever OftForgiving, Most Merciful. Soorah Al-Ahzaab 33.59"

It is also used as a distinction between believing women and non-believing women (as said in the Ayat from the Quraan). Hope I was of benefit. :)

Unfortunately it is not clear that the quotation you provided from qur'an is giving an opinion, it doesn't actually mention eyes or one eye to see the way in the actual quranic verse. It might be a little misleading to a non-Muslim. I think when quoting qur'an it is important to stick to the actual words of qur'an.

:w:

Ummu Sufyaan
11-06-2007, 05:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
She says she dresses conservative, and trust me, many woman who don't have the hijab are also respected. There are lots of non-Muslim women who rarely dress in a provocative way (ia half naked, short skirts, tops etc) and men don't look at them with 'that eye'. :D Beauty is more than just skin-deep.
sorry sis, get ya drift now....
but i do disagree,:D because even if she is slightly uncovered, he will still look at her. and yes, he may respect her, but what garuntees that he's not thinking about her. :sunny:

Al-Zaara
11-06-2007, 06:23 AM

sorry sis, get ya drift now....
but i do disagree,:D because even if she is slightly uncovered, he will still look at her. and yes, he may respect her, but what garuntees that he's not thinking about her. :sunny:
Aleykum selam (lol you've got many selams)

It doesn't mean he's not thinking about her (we can't stop that factor completely, whatever we may do), but what about her can differ a lot. Also, as a hijabi myself I've gotten the look often. They stare at me, but of course I cannot guarantee what they are thinking (and God forbid I do not wanna know). See, some body parts are "less sexual" than the others... Or so I have heard. And if like half her arms are bare, only that, and then the hair for example, then I would be surprised if he had sexual thoughts just by looking at her for a brief moment. (if he's not in love or just a random pervert)

lol But I do understand you too. And I think the sister got us too. :D

Also, I agree 100% with ummzyad's above post.

Ma'salam

Ummu Sufyaan
11-06-2007, 07:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Aleykum selam (lol you've got many selams)

It doesn't mean he's not thinking about her (we can't stop that factor completely, whatever we may do), but what about her can differ a lot. Also, as a hijabi myself I've gotten the look often. They stare at me, but of course I cannot guarantee what they are thinking (and God forbid I do not wanna know). See, some body parts are "less sexual" than the others... Or so I have heard. And if like half her arms are bare, only that, and then the hair for example, then I would be surprised if he had sexual thoughts just by looking at her for a brief moment. (if he's not in love or just a random pervert)

lol But I do understand you too. And I think the sister got us too. :D

Also, I agree 100% with ummzyad's above post.

Ma'salam
They stare at me, but of course I cannot guarantee what they are thinking (and God forbid I do not wanna know).
are u sure that they stare at you in that sense? they could stare at you simply because you are dressed differently.:sunny:
And if like half her arms are bare, only that, and then the hair for example, then I would be surprised if he had sexual thoughts just by looking at her for a brief moment.
you may be suprised....lol:okay:

Al-Zaara
11-06-2007, 03:01 PM

are u sure that they stare at you in that sense? they could stare at you simply because you are dressed differently.:sunny:
Aleykum selam,

Hun, I think I'm old enough to understand some stares. :) But see my point was, can you know for sure? No, not 100% and actually, as I said, I wouldn't want to know in case it could be a bad thought. :)

And if like half her arms are bare, only that, and then the hair for example, then I would be surprised if he had sexual thoughts just by looking at her for a brief moment.
you may be suprised....lol:okay:
Same goes for the ones covered, sadly. Just the face or the fact you pass by, can for some... :uhwhat That's why it's better not to be so naive and not think about it too much, but yeah covering does help, elhamdulillah.

Ma'salam

thydavidcome
11-07-2007, 04:49 AM
It is quite rediculous to say the least. It is all culture, this rule of covering your hair and what not was made in arabia, which has a huge precent of sexual harassment and rape EVEN with the Nijab, As you can see its a failing system. It is used to oppress women. The Quran mentions "And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments . . . that they should draw their KHIMAR over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands. . . . " If you find hair beauty, then you SERIOUSLY need HELP. Its about the female body's shape.

But, hair can still be considered beauty in the eyes of some people. So my next point showing that the Hijab can actually be considered a bad thing the further you are from the Equator.

For all of you who doubt harming one self, or exposing to harm is haram here is some quotes for ya
You shall not kill yourselves. (4:29) He also says: Do not expose yourselves to ruin. (2: 195) The Prophet (pbuh) said: "There shall be no inflicting of harm on oneself'. Similarly, it is not permissible to a Muslim to expose himself to the risk of illness or injury in any way or form. The Prophet (pbuh) said: "No believer may humiliate himself'. When he was asked how any person would humiliate himself, he said: "By exposing himself to risks with which he cannot cope".
The Hijab/Nijab as we know covers the body completely with the exception of there eyes(face for hijab). Thats the FLAW. The clothing (especially if its black, which it is) Blocks the skin's ability to absorb Vitamin D3 and Calcium from the SUN. (also giving a whiter complexion). Of course this does nothing at first but as women get older we all know osteoporosis begins to set in. In an egyptian study, the women who wore the Hijab, and ESPECIALLY the Nijab all had the worse case of osteoporosis. If that isnt long term harming your self I don't know what is.

Once again if you disagree do it, but dont be rude.

ummzayd
11-07-2007, 07:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by thydavidcome
The clothing (especially if its black, which it is) Blocks the skin's ability to absorb Vitamin D3 and Calcium from the SUN. (also giving a whiter complexion). Of course this does nothing at first but as women get older we all know osteoporosis begins to set in. In an egyptian study, the women who wore the Hijab, and ESPECIALLY the Nijab all had the worse case of osteoporosis. If that isnt long term harming your self I don't know what is.

Once again if you disagree do it, but dont be rude.
if you have some kind of academic study proving this could you give us all the details cos otherwise you're just blowin hot air.

having face and hands exposed is plenty enough to absorb all the vitamin D you need from the sun. and as for women wearing niqab, they don't wear it in their houses and I don't know any house that hasn't got any sunlight coming into it at all.....unless they live in dungeons or summat.

One more thing - every heard of SKIN CANCER.....even here in northern Europe it is killing people whose skin is exposed to the sun. once global warming takes a hold methinks the safest thing for everyone is to wear burkhas outside!

peace.....hope I wasn't rude insha'Allah

aamirsaab
11-07-2007, 10:18 AM
I studied psychology at A level; I know what attributes of men and women constitute as sexy

Women: Hair, body shape (hourglass figure is seen as sexy due to excellent child-bearing size), eyes, mouth/teeth.

Men: size (bigger the better), muscle and overall body shape (wedge shape is seen as sexy due to it relating to physical strength thus meaning that men are seen as protectors) teeth and mouth to some extent.

Therefore, the clothing (in womens case, hijab and in mens case, covering neck to ankles) is to cover up the sexy attributes of the two genders to PREVENT people from commiting Zina of the eyes.

Bish, bash bosh, Wam bam strawberry jam.

p.;s there are cultural as well as non-physical attributes too; the ones I gave above are those that are innate/global physical attributes.

The Hijab/Nijab as we know covers the body completely with the exception of there eyes(face for hijab). Thats the FLAW. The clothing (especially if its black, which it is) Blocks the skin's ability to absorb Vitamin D3 and Calcium from the SUN. (also giving a whiter complexion). Of course this does nothing at first but as women get older we all know osteoporosis begins to set in. In an egyptian study, the women who wore the Hijab, and ESPECIALLY the Nijab all had the worse case of osteoporosis. If that isnt long term harming your self I don't know what is.
1) you can get different coloured hijabs such as white.
2) You'd have to be in the sun for several hours to be affected THAT adversely, whilst wearing hijab.

thydavidcome
11-07-2007, 12:46 PM
2) You'd have to be in the sun for several hours to be affected THAT adversely, whilst wearing hijab.
[/quote]

Oh it has to be 1 extreme or the other? How about we follow what the prophet said, and do the moderate way, sometimes with the Hijab other times without.

If you seriously consider all that sexy you are sexually deprived. For example I live in florida, beaches are everywere. Shorts, and short sleaves is considered moderate, the adverage temperature is 98 degrees (summer) with 85% hummidity. It would be tourcher to wear the hijab in that wether. I look at a girl in shorts and short sleaves and I don't get sexually excited at all, why? Because
1. Im not a pervert
2. I see it all the time

Also the Quran mentions to lower your gaze, but doesn't mention any punishment for not lowering your gaze. Therefore its a suggestion not an actual rule. God knows that Humans can stare, sometimes not even on purpose, and to punish all the people that stare wouldnt be merciful.

aamirsaab
11-07-2007, 01:48 PM

Oh it has to be 1 extreme or the other? How about we follow what the prophet said, and do the moderate way, sometimes with the Hijab other times without.
I mentioned no extremes. Moderation does come into it obviously, but the whole point of keeping yourself covered is to retain basic dignity; otherwise, we might as well all run around completely naked.

If you seriously consider all that sexy you are sexually deprived.
What are you talking about?!

For example I live in florida, beaches are everywere. Shorts, and short sleaves is considered moderate, the adverage temperature is 98 degrees (summer) with 85% hummidity. It would be tourcher to wear the hijab in that wether.
Obviously, but common sense would kick in; ''I'm wearing a hijab, surrounded by semi-naked people and it is really hot. Maybe I should go inside?"

If she is in an environment where there are no men, then quite simply she can take the hijab off - it's main purpose is to prevent the unlawful gaze of a non-mahram male.

I look at a girl in shorts and short sleaves and I don't get sexually excited at all, why? Because
1. Im not a pervert
2. I see it all the time
1. Neither am I, but I would still try to look away
2. That doesn't make it right. An unlawful gaze is an unlawful gaze.

Also the Quran mentions to lower your gaze, but doesn't mention any punishment for not lowering your gaze. Therefore its a suggestion not an actual rule. God knows that Humans can stare, sometimes not even on purpose, and to punish all the people that stare wouldnt be merciful.
Who mentioned anything about a punishment? I was refering to basic dignity. Yes you have eyes and yes you use them to look. But, does it mean you stare at every women who walks by?

The whole point of these islamic rulings is to control both body and mind - do that and then you (plural) have permission to preach to me.

thydavidcome
11-07-2007, 08:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

I mentioned no extremes. Moderation does come into it obviously, but the whole point of keeping yourself covered is to retain basic dignity; otherwise, we might as well all run around completely naked.

What are you talking about?!

Obviously, but common sense would kick in; ''I'm wearing a hijab, surrounded by semi-naked people and it is really hot. Maybe I should go inside?"

If she is in an environment where there are no men, then quite simply she can take the hijab off - it's main purpose is to prevent the unlawful gaze of a non-mahram male.

1. Neither am I, but I would still try to look away
2. That doesn't make it right. An unlawful gaze is an unlawful gaze.

Who mentioned anything about a punishment? I was refering to basic dignity. Yes you have eyes and yes you use them to look. But, does it mean you stare at every women who walks by?

The whole point of these islamic rulings is to control both body and mind - do that and then you (plural) have permission to preach to me.
we might as well all run around completely naked.
Again with the extremes

Typical oppression towards women, lets all stuff them inside so that men can't look at them. Prehaps we should stuff the men inside for looking eh? Women have things to do. Shop, Go to school, etc. Dressing up as a Mummy in a VERY hot area is ridiculously.

An unlawful gaze is an unlawful gaze.
Looking at a womens hair or face or w/e in not an unlawful gaze, staring at someones butt would be. If you have proof to say otherwise please post it

I did, if its "unlawful" to look at everyone who walks by then there would be a punishment. Covering your self head to toe doesnt increase your dignity in parts of America. In places like Florida (the south) it makes you look silly, and out of touch with reality. Especially with high amounts of racism wearing the Hijab has caused many women to be attacked (A pregnant women was beaten to critical condition because the teens thought she was a terriorst)

These ruling were made by arabs 100s of years after the prophets death. The Hijab doesn't control the body nor the mind. In Saudi Arabia rape and sexual harassments rates are VERY high. In parts of America wearing the Hijab makes you a target. Countless cases of women coming to me after getting beaten in school, harrased, cars stoned, houses egged, hate crimes (someone sent a picture of a quran being peed on to a sister VIA cell phone) and the list doesnt end.

I am not preaching if you want to hear me preach come to my Masque.

aamirsaab
11-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Again with the extremes
I don't need someone to put words into my mouth; I can do it myself.

Typical oppression towards women, lets all stuff them inside so that men can't look at them. Prehaps we should stuff the men inside for looking eh? Women have things to do. Shop, Go to school, etc. Dressing up as a Mummy in a VERY hot area is ridiculously.
If covering up is oppression then let us run wild naked. That is the point I was making before but you for some odd reason see that as extreme but not your comments. In short; you have your wires crossed.

Looking at a womens hair or face or w/e in not an unlawful gaze, staring at someones butt would be. If you have proof to say otherwise please post it
Looking at the opposite gender (who fall into non-mahram category) IS an unlawful gaze.

if its "unlawful" to look at everyone who walks by then there would be a punishment.
I'm saying at least try to avoid looking and staring.

Covering your self head to toe doesnt increase your dignity in parts of America. In places like Florida (the south) it makes you look silly, and out of touch with reality. Especially with high amounts of racism wearing the Hijab has caused many women to be attacked (A pregnant women was beaten to critical condition because the teens thought she was a terriorst)
That is not the hijab's fault. It is the fault of the ignorant teens who beat her up and racism in general.

These ruling were made by arabs 100s of years after the prophets death. The Hijab doesn't control the body nor the mind.
Indeed it doesn't but the concept of it is to control yourself.

In Saudi Arabia rape and sexual harassments rates are VERY high. In parts of America wearing the Hijab makes you a target. Countless cases of women coming to me after getting beaten in school, harrased, cars stoned, houses egged, hate crimes (someone sent a picture of a quran being peed on to a sister VIA cell phone) and the list doesnt end.
Again, that is not the fault of Islam or the hijab - human corruption and society's general inability to comprehend anything 'slightly different' are to blame. Also, saudi arabia can hardly be called Islamic when it is run by a King.

I am not preaching if you want to hear me preach come to my Masque.
Thanks for the offer, but I think I will pass.

P.s; I myself don't mind if musim women wear hijab or not. In fact I honestly don't care how you dress, just as long as you are retaining some basic dignity (i.e you are wearing some clothes). I understand that not everyone follows the Islamic rulings 100% and I also understand that they have their reasons. What I do honestly care about though is people who change the Islamic rulings to fit their purpose. The points I made with regards to hijab in this post and the previous are relating to those who do wear it. In simplest terms: if you are going to follow the teachings of Islam, then follow them properly. You cannot pick and mix.

Nicro
11-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Dress of women isnt bad. And it is not meant to make you hot. Look in the Middle east where it get 135 degrees in the summer and women AND men are covered. The dress helps to actually keep you cool.

snakelegs
11-08-2007, 03:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nicro
Dress of women isnt bad. And it is not meant to make you hot. Look in the Middle east where it get 135 degrees in the summer and women AND men are covered. The dress helps to actually keep you cool.
you are correct. people going out in the desert are advised to be covered - it sets off the bodies natural cooling system.

IB-Staff
11-08-2007, 03:08 AM
I think the thread starter's question has been answered, therefore, the thread's purpose has been served.

If the thread starter would like to have this thread re-opened, please PM me.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.