/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Missing prayers or being late for them

Esther462
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm asking, is it wrong to miss prayers or preform them later than planned?

As a new Muslim, I'm missing most of the dawn prayer because I over sleep my alarm and before I know it my 2nd alarm is going off for me to get up for college. I am not good in the mornings. I all ways pray before I leave for college.
When I am at college, I'm always missing the noon prayers as I'm too scared to go to the prayer room at college.
Now the clocks have gone back in the UK, I am missing the afternoon prayer as it's at a time which is in the middle of a lesson but I do pray it as soon as I get home.
Is this all ok or not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
islamirama
11-07-2007, 06:11 PM
The best deed is prayer on time. You should not be a scared of going to the prayer room at college and you should sleep early so you don't miss the dawn prayer. You don't have to get up super early bro, just long enough to prayer b4 sun comes up.

Inshallah visit here to read on topics of prayer.

http://islamqa.com/index.php?cref=267&ln=eng

Umm Hurairah
11-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Asalaamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatu,

Alhamdulillah that you've accepted Islam.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

The Prophet (SA) said:

"A person neglecting his salaat (even though he makes it up later) shall remain in Hell for a period of one Haqb. A Haqb is equal to eighty years of three hundred and sixty days each and a day in the Hereafter shall equal to one thousand years of this world."

Hadhrat Jabir bin Abdullah (RA) narrates that he heard the Prophet (SA) saying:

1. "To discard salaah is to be linked with Kufr."

2. "To discard salaah is to be linked with Kufr and Shirk"

3. "To discard salaah is the only partition between Imaan and Kufr."

The Prophet of Allah (SA) said: "Prayer is the first matter that will be judged on the Day of Resurrection - if it is accepted then the rest of our actions will be accepted, and if it is rejected then the rest of our actions will also be rejected."

The Prophet (PBUH) said, "The five stated prayers erase the sins which have been committed during the intervals between them if they have not been mortal sins."

Jabir bin 'Abdullah (RA) saying, 'I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace and blessings be upon him) observing this,' "Between man and polytheism and unbelief is the abandonment of salat."

MustafaMc
11-08-2007, 12:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
I'm asking, is it wrong to miss prayers or preform them later than planned?

As a new Muslim, I'm missing most of the dawn prayer because I over sleep my alarm and before I know it my 2nd alarm is going off for me to get up for college. I am not good in the mornings. I all ways pray before I leave for college.
When I am at college, I'm always missing the noon prayers as I'm too scared to go to the prayer room at college.
Now the clocks have gone back in the UK, I am missing the afternoon prayer as it's at a time which is in the middle of a lesson but I do pray it as soon as I get home.
Is this all ok or not?
Sister, I can relate to your difficulty as the ritual prayer was one of the more difficult adjustments for me when I became a Muslim. I hesitate to say that what you are doing is OK, but I think that that is better than giving up and abandoning Islam. I believe that a good starting point is having the intention to say your prayers on time and to ask Allah for forgiveness when you miss them. As a brother has said, going to bed earlier will help getting up for fajr. If you are studying late at night, then you can shift somewhat to studying after fajr and before going to school. As your faith grows, the fear of Allah will override your hesitancy to go to the prayer room and your fear of what others think. I encourage you to persevere in your journey and continue to try your best with reading the Quran and associating with other Muslims as much as possible.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MinAhlilHadeeth
11-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Delaying prayer until night-time because of work

Question:
Many workers delay Zuhr and ‘Asr prayers until night-time, giving the excuse that they are too busy at work or that their clothes are najis (impure) or not clean. What advice can you give them?

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

It is not permissible for a Muslim man or woman to delay an obligatory prayer beyond the proper time, rather every accountable Muslim man and woman is obliged to perform the prayers on time as much as they can.

Work is not an excuse for delaying prayer, neither is impurity on clothes or clothes being dirty. None of these are acceptable excuses.

People should be excused from work at prayer times; at the time of prayer a worker has to wash the impurity from his clothes, or change into clean clothes. As for regular dirt (as opposed to impurities), this does not prevent one from praying in those clothes, so long as that dirt is not impure and does not have an offensive smell that would bother other worshippers. But if the dirt or its smell will bother others, then he has to wash it before praying, or change into clean clothes so that he can pray in congregation.

It is permissible for those who have legitimate shar’i excuses, such as those who are sick or are travelling, to combine Zuhr and ‘Asr at the time of either of them, and to combine Maghrib and ‘Isha’ at the time of either of them.

This was narrated in the saheeh Sunnah of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). It is also permissible to join prayers when there is heavy rain or mud, which cause difficulty for people.

Fataawa Muhimmah tata’allaq bil-Salaah by Shaykh Ibn Baaz, p. 19

Source

islamirama
11-08-2007, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umma Wasat
:( What if you dun have a break (12-7) and Esha here is just after 5 :o

And the closest prayer room is the multi cultural room :o| which is years away, so instead of going there, you just go home, making them even more late.. :hmm:

:eek:

All the best Esther, May Allah (Subhana wa ta'ala) bless you. Ameen (say Ameen)
The mod answered the question. No excuses will be accepted except those allowed in shari'ah. And your work should give you "reasonable accomdation" by law for religious practices. As for class, i don't think there is any class that goes from 7hrs straight non stop, Even if it was so, one can alway excuse themselves to go do salah and then come back.

Look at it this way. If death wont' wait for you to take a break from your busy life, then nor should salaah. One will take you from this duniya and other will take you to the next duniya.

format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth
what abt being like 10 mins late?
If its time for the next salah, then regardless of how late you are cuz the next salah started and the time for the previous salaah passed. Is there any way to argue against that?

kelamsa
11-17-2007, 12:37 AM
:sl:
I heard that it's possible to read two salats together if we are out and aren't able to pray. for example, if i am out and cannot pray dhuhr, then i can come home and pray dhuhr and asr together. Is that ok? I always pray when I go out no matter where I am anyway, but I'm going to start track next week inshallah...The time will conflict with Maghrib prayer, and I was confused on whether I can come home and pray it along with Isha prayer...?^o)
Jazakallah,
Asma.

Umm Yoosuf
11-17-2007, 03:09 AM
Thread merged.

Insha Allah refer to this post:

http://www.islamicboard.com/prayer/5...tml#post855875

Noor 13
11-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I know how hard it can be to ge up for Fajr prayer. I used to get up alwyas when I became a new muslim but lateyl I do have some problems due to having a baby and the fact that I have to get up several times during night to take care of her. May Allah forgive me I know it is not an excuse for not getting up but sometimes I just don't hear the alarm. InshAllah it will get better once my daughter sleeps longer stretches at night.

Dr.Trax
11-24-2007, 11:35 AM
Salam Alaikum!

One question:
What if I forget to pray salah and missed it on time?Is it an excuse for that(forgot)?
Thanks for your answer!

Peace!

princessz
11-24-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't meant to go off topic a bit here, but what if I miss my zuhr prayer because men has access (the keys) to the only room possible that I can use to pray. Men actually walk into the ladies washroom freely, so I have absolutely no privacy to take off my hijaab and make wudhu. Once I was fixing my hijaab and he just walked in on me, didn't really care though.
I feel bad missing my zuhr, but I don't want a man to walk in on me again, ever ever..

islamirama
11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Try there

Rulings on prayer

lewcow
11-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know the Hadeeth sources for these, I run into so many questionable ones that I think that I must check the ones that seem most relevant to my current situation so as not to be missled (#'s please):

"A person neglecting his salaat (even though he makes it up later) shall remain in Hell for a period of one Haqb. A Haqb is equal to eighty years of three hundred and sixty days each and a day in the Hereafter shall equal to one thousand years of this world."

The Prophet (SallAllahu alaihi wa sallam) said,

“The Pen has been lifted from three; the one who is sleeping until he
awakes, the one who is insane until he gains his sanity, and the small
child until he reaches puberty.”

UmmSqueakster
11-27-2007, 08:27 PM
lewcow, as a new muslim, please be careful when studying ahadith. Throughout our history, muslims dedicate years of study before they were able to gain the knowledge make rulings and determine if hadith were applicable to certain situations or not. There are so many out there, and a person of knowledge should know more than just their sources to see if they apply.

At this point in your studies, find a good scholar (or 2 or 3 or 12, lol) and find out their opinions on matters. inshaAllah later you can delve deeper into hadith sources, if something is saheeh or not, and whether or not it's applicable to your situation.

If you're looking for a neutral website that provides rulings with their reasoning and sources, I like http://www.islamonline.net.

There are two basic opinions on missed prayers - you can make them up, or you can't. The majority of scholars hold to the first opinion. Scholars such as ibn Taymiyyah and ibn Hazm believe that you cannot. How is it that they come to a different opinion? They're all working from the same sources. It's because of how they interpret the sources they have, based on their intellect, knowledge and experience.

What's my point? Umm, lol, I kinda rambled on, but in the end - the greatest scholars of our ummah had a great deal more training and knowledge then we do. Until we attain their level of knowledge, we should be very wary about creating rulings for ourselves without the guidance of someone with knowledge, especially when we're new to Islam. And even when we do have knowledge, scholars differ in their opinions.

- Qatada -
11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
:salamext:

Here's a good source for info on prayers and the details simplified insha Allah (God willing):

http://islamtoday.com/show_sub_secti...5&sub_cat_id=0

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.