/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How to write poetry

'Abd-al Latif
11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Peace be upon the seekers of truth.

Does someone know how to write poetry? I'm so rubbish at this stuff and I need some serious help!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
11-13-2007, 05:02 PM
:sl:

Let the words flow. Write whatever is on our mind. Don't think twice. Do that when you are reviewing what you've written.

:w:

AhlaamBella
11-13-2007, 05:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Liúyú de Lian

Let the words flow. Write whatever is on our mind. Don't think twice. Do that when you are reviewing what you've written.

Exactly. I just write and write then go through it with a theosaurous (sp??) and a rhyming dictionary

IbnAbdulHakim
11-13-2007, 05:07 PM
you just write what you feel
forming words, make a meal
think not twice, place a seal
set a standard others desire to steal

literally 8-9 seconds...

sis liuyu gave good advice mashaAllah

assalamu alaikum

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
'Abd-al Latif
11-13-2007, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
you just write what you feel
forming words, make a meal
think not twice, place a seal
set a standard others desire to steal

literally 8-9 seconds...

sis liuyu gave good advice mashaAllah

assalamu alaikum
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool mashAllah

chacha_jalebi
11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
yup take the above advice

and just pay particular attention to a certain subject and just go with the flow

Re.TiReD
11-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Ok here was a two minute job...

We think we gonna live forvever
pilin up the dough and leather
workin day and night we're mad
jus to buy that classy jag

but did it ever cross our minds
each soul has its appointed time
none can choose when it will go
but all will leave thats for sure

--> OK, in order to write a poem, you gotta feel strongly about the subject if you dont...where you gonna find the words and emotion from? just pick something that gets you going...and let it out Insha'Allah. Salaam

P.S @ all members...am on a smiley strike, not gonna use smilies from now Insha'Allah, jus gimme a kick if I ever do lol

Whatsthepoint
11-13-2007, 09:27 PM
Poetry.
What is it?
It is writing poems.

Done.:sunny:

Fishman
11-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Remember, a good poem does not have to rhyme, and a rhyme is not always a good poem. It's the meaning behind the words and how you express that meaning that is important.
Just my opinion, I'm not exactly the best poet, most of the 'poetry' I've written is about how bad cows are...

Re.TiReD
11-13-2007, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
Remember, a good poem does not have to rhyme, and a rhyme is not always a good poem. It's the meaning behind the words and how you express that meaning that is important.
Just my opinion, I'm not exactly the best poet, most of the 'poetry' I've written is about how bad cows are...
Why are cows bad? Can you show us an example please brother?

Fishman
11-14-2007, 07:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
Why are cows bad? Can you show us an example please brother?
Don't get me started about those evil space-invader rainforest burning fascist cows...

AhlaamBella
11-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Don't get me started about those evil space-invader rainforest burning fascist cows...

I'm not even going to ask lol

The best advice I can give is to find a subject your passionate about. Let the words come out. Don't think about them. Then re-draft it but be careful not to lose the true meaning you wrote to begin with :)

snakelegs
11-14-2007, 09:38 AM

you better stay away from india! ;D

IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM

been having nightmares bro? lol

wa alaikum ussalaam wa rahmatullah

------
11-14-2007, 09:49 AM
:salamext:

Personally, I think that a true poet can't 'learn' to write poetry. It has to come from within them, all poets will know what I mean. :D

IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2007, 09:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Personally, I think that a true poet can't 'learn' to write poetry. It has to come from within them, all poets will know what I mean. :D
you mean poetry is a talent? lol
i always thought it was a skill?!
to be honest i have seen some pretty awful poetry, i think it happens when people try too hard..

Assalamu Alaikum

------
11-14-2007, 10:01 AM

Exactly, no matter how hard people try to write poetry or to understand it, if they haven't got it within them then the poetry won't be 'true' LOL if u get me...

Abdul-Raouf
11-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Thank HIM!
Thank HIM!
Oh Brother!
Water Your Beards,
With Your Tears.
Thank HIM! Oh my Brother,
Thank HIM!
- Abdul-Raouf

This is my first poetic quote...in my life... just got enthusiased to write.. after seeing this thread...

(Ya its for my brothers...)

Thank u Thread Starter......

IbnAbdulHakim
11-14-2007, 10:09 AM
^ mashaAllaah :)

beautiful message, we should indeed water our beards with our tears

assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah

Al-Zaara
11-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Selam aleykum,

lol I believe writing poetry is a gift... Although some aren't aware they actually posses it.

To write poetry you gotta have a good vocabulary. :D And if you don't have, like me here, you gotta read some dictionaries... lol I'm serious. imsad

And as someone said, it doesn't have to rhyme. Like think about something wonderful or beautiful, and try to explain it with beautiful words and metaphors... As I said, use new interesting words, even from another language one or two, or even more.

Ummu Sufyaan
11-18-2007, 10:06 AM
well, i completely suck at poetry. the best i can do is: Roses are red, violets are blue, sugar is sweet, and so are you. and pffft what do you know, they arent even my own words.
wait, i'll give it a go. its going to sound so stupid. it wont even make sense.

hello there.
im sure ya sitting in chair.:D
staring at a computer screen
looking so glum and green
wishing you were doing some type of ibaadah
preparing for yawm al-qiyaamah.

thats it for now.:hiding:

Al-Zaara
11-18-2007, 10:13 AM
^^ That was so cute, haha. MashaAllah.

Umar001
11-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I think writing poetry is easy but requires alot of time if you are not naturally talented towards it.

When I used to write songs, I'd have to immerse myself in that envioiroment, but since as muslims we shouldnt waste too much time on suchthings its been harder for me to write. Though I've nearly finished the knowledge song wohoooo.

But just think of ideas, and then give them a flow, it doesnt have to rhyme, but flow in a certain way! Rhyme is just a way it can flow. Other methods can be used too!

Ummu Sufyaan
11-18-2007, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
^^ That was so cute, haha. MashaAllah.
lol...jazakallahu khair.

:hiding:

sadia faisal
12-04-2007, 07:17 PM
I think poetry is a gift that everyone has...different people express it in different ways...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.