/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the forum rules

The Ruler
11-14-2007, 04:36 PM
:sl:

I found these two rules on a general forum:

• Your posts should be legible, meaning using captelization, periods, correct spelling and correct grammar.
  • Posts that are hard to read in terms of grammar, and sentence structure will simply be deleted.

And I quite strongly believe that those rules should be enforced here too.

:w:
Please do not remind me of my old posts, for by trying to read them yesterday, I was surprised at how pathetic they sounded.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
11-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Me too. However, for a lot of our members, English is not their first languag and so make gramatical or spelling erros etc.

To combat this, we have czgibson's english thread here

piXie
11-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by liloo
for by trying to read them yesterday, I was surprised at how pathetic they sounded.

The Ruler
11-14-2007, 05:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Me too. However, for a lot of our members, English is not their first languag and so make gramatical or spelling erros etc.
That is entirely different as compared to 'slang' typing.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tomtomsmom
11-14-2007, 07:09 PM
I understand that english isn't the first language for many members here so spelling and grammatical mistakes happen. But I do agree that the "slang" type is not needed. Many posts get ignored because of it. Personally, I skip over posts that are like that. Not to mention that for the members who aren't strong in english, I am sure they can't figure it out at all!

Isn't there already something in the rules of LI that slang type talk isn't allowed?

------
11-14-2007, 07:12 PM
:salamext:

I don't think they should. Basic simplified language can be read by people, e.g.

i dont tink they shud b deletd

Get me?

NoName55
11-14-2007, 07:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab

To combat this, we have czgibson's english thread here

or you could just make them obey rule # 7 ".... incomprehensible text speak are not allowed to be used in your posts"

aamirsaab
11-14-2007, 07:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Liúyú de Lian
That is entirely different as compared to 'slang' typing.

Alrighty.

format_quote Originally Posted by NoName55

or you could just make them obey rule # 7 ".... incomprehensible text speak are not allowed to be used in your posts"
We could and we should.

Ok, from now on if I see anyone typing in text speak, I'll remove that post. Unless of course, you are using it in a sarcastic tone.

wilberhum
11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
As one who is ”Linguistly Challenged”, I try to never put down anyone for improper English.

My spelling is so atrocious that I conceder “Spell Check” my best friend.

But the slang and texting short cuts are just junk and drive me up a wall.

------
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM

HELLO

format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

I don't think they should. Basic simplified language can be read by people, e.g.

Get me?

Intisar
11-14-2007, 08:28 PM

I found these two rules on a general forum:

• Your posts should be legible, meaning using captelization, periods, correct spelling and correct grammar.
  • Posts that are hard to read in terms of grammar, and sentence structure will simply be deleted.

And I quite strongly believe that those rules should be enforced here too.

Please do not remind me of my old posts, for by trying to read them yesterday, I was surprised at how pathetic they sounded.
:w: That's funny, wanting to implement a good grasp of the English language and yet they made a mistake themselves. I believe it is 'capitalization' (or s, depending on which nation you go by). Just thought I'd point that out.

Like aamirsaab said though, English is not the first language of many people who are on this forum (since this is open to everyone, and represents the entire Ummah). I think it should be encouraged, I don't think it should be forced. As long as you get the jist what they're trying to say then it's all good right?

:)

Silver Pearl
11-14-2007, 08:46 PM
:wasalamex

I'm all up for good post with good grammar and no spelling mistakes or atleast minimal spelling mistakes but this board is diverse, so are its members. Not everyone has had the pleasure (or misfortune) of growing up speaking proper English and it may be in alot of cases that people actually do talk the way they write (cockney....I need not to say anymore surely). I know it is frustrating at times but it is not hard to suss out text language or 'standard' slang. Also people learn with time, I think everyone should be given the joy of learning through their errors. Members who were the biggest criminals of text language and slang last year are now putting Cambridge students to shame.

But the rule is needed so that this board doesn't turn into chav town for good I suppose :muddlehea.

p.s-You have a rocking name Liuyu! blimen lengendary I tell you!

Re.TiReD
11-14-2007, 09:30 PM
:salamext: On the main forums I try to make sure my posts are grammatically correct etc etc hmmm actually I dont try, it comes naturally ;D anyway, sometimes I just feel like typing the way I speak, according to my accent, get meh? I dun tink derz anyfin rong wid dat tho dyu? And I usually only type that way If the person the post is directed to will understand...get meh? :D

chacha_jalebi
11-14-2007, 09:54 PM
i think ive improved my typing:D

dont you lot think:p

its just trying to type fast or people are lazy innit

i havent got a prob, if some one abbreviates like - goin, instead of going or ppl = people. as long as its readable then woo hoo all the way

because at the end of the day we are here to learn/timepass/bored/havent got a life:p so the last thing people pay attention to is spelling

as long as everyone can read it, its kool

Re.TiReD
11-14-2007, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
i think ive improved my typing:D

dont you lot think:p

its just trying to type fast or people are lazy innit

i havent got a prob, if some one abbreviates like - goin, instead of going or ppl = people. as long as its readable then woo hoo all the way

because at the end of the day we are hear to learn/timepass/bored/havent got a life:p so the last thing people pay attention to is spelling

as long as everyone can read it, its kool

:salamext: you missed the 'elo ello', :D buh yes I am quite inclined to agree with the above post! :D

snakelegs
11-14-2007, 10:08 PM
[MOUSE]:thumbs_dodown with capitalism!!:thumbs_do[/MOUSE]
i am politically,spiritually, religiously, mentally, emotionally, psychicly anti capital letters!!!!
don't make us do capital letters - it might just do me in! :muddlehea

H4RUN
11-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Wat d hek! Am shur ya'll can read dis wit ot ne probz, standard! :p And yh im shur ur shur, das how shur...i'm shur. Na wa im sayin?! [cos i dont :p]

So basically we gotta give the laa dee daa stuff a rest. Hence forth one must learn to teach one self to type in this manner at all times, i say, it's not that bad...

Yh RlY :p
:w;

chacha_jalebi
11-14-2007, 10:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
:salamext: you missed the 'elo ello', :D buh yes I am quite inclined to agree with the above post! :D
lol, cause this meant to be them proper english threads, if i typed "elo ello" someone would have said thats not proper english :mmokay:

ooooh the discriminacism:p its not my fault english isnt my 1st language, its not my fault i werent born in good old buckingham palace lol

on a serious note, jus type so every1 can make out what you say,otherwise you'll be ignored

H4RUN
11-14-2007, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
[MOUSE]:thumbs_dodown with capitalism!!:thumbs_do[/MOUSE]
i am politically,spiritually, religiously, mentally, emotionally, psychicly anti capital letters!!!!
don't make us do capital letters - it might just do me in! :muddlehea
Peace

YES i Do AGREE, i MEAN WHY do IT!
:D

H4RUN
11-14-2007, 10:12 PM
lol, cause this meant to be them proper english threads, if i typed "elo ello" someone would have said thats not proper english :mmokay:

ooooh the discriminacism:p its not my fault english isnt my 1st language, its not my fault i werent born in good old buckingham palace lol

on a serious note, jus type so every1 can make out what you say,otherwise you'll be ignored

Alright fella!

Man, you must get ignored a lot! :p

Re.TiReD
11-14-2007, 10:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN

Wat d hek! Am shur ya'll can read dis wit ot ne probz, standard! :p And yh im shur ur shur, das how shur...i'm shur. Na wa im sayin?! [cos i dont :p]

So basically we gotta give the laa dee daa stuff a rest. Hence forth one must learn to teach one self to type in this manner at all times, i say, it's not that bad...

You shur you shur? :mmokay:

I say, I say! I really do! Cor blimey! I must agree writing as though one has swallowed a dictionary almost as large as the Queens pay is rather interesting and gives one the status of an intellectual even though one may in reality be a complete dunce :)

chacha_jalebi
11-14-2007, 10:19 PM
iqramy the rules apply to typin not smileys :D

Alright fella!

Man, you must get ignored a lot! :p

anyway:p

enough discussion, everyone understands:shade:

harun hows your visa application goin:D

Re.TiReD
11-14-2007, 10:21 PM
edit

H4RUN
11-14-2007, 10:21 PM
iqramy the rules apply to typin not smileys :D

anyway:p

enough discussion, everyone understands:shade:

harun hows your visa application goin:D
:p LOL you rascal:p Not bad i say my good man, how's life back in ye ol' country after being deported? :D

tomtomsmom
11-14-2007, 11:19 PM
I don't think the problem is capital letters or spelling mistakes. It is laziness! You have a full keyboard so use it!!!!!! For instance.....what the heck is innit supposed to mean anyway?

Re.TiReD
11-14-2007, 11:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
I don't think the problem is capital letters or spelling mistakes. It is laziness! You have a full keyboard so use it!!!!!! For instance.....what the heck is innit supposed to mean anyway?
:) innit...or innay literally means 'isnt it?' :) it is usually used by lazy teenagers seeking confirmation from their peers, hope that helps!

snakelegs
11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
i actually don't have much of a problem with slang, though i did when i first came here. by now i am used to it.
more important than spelling, slang, capital letters (may we be spared and protected from such an atrocity!) i would like to see:

no one can post an image unless he has at least 50 posts - 100 might be better.
if some one posts offending material, which is so clearly wrong as to be above argument (this has happened), any mod should be able to delete it immediately and not have to wait for the mod who is assigned that section.

H4RUN
11-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Peace:D

Innit! That's what i'm thinking aswel!
You should come to Luton, the word 'innit' is in between every other word 'init'...

It derives from 'aint it'...So take this example..'Pass me the water init' < typical phrase...
Now that would mean..."pass me the wait aint it' Better still if we go back even more...'Pass me the water is it not'
:p
Where's the sense in that !

Innit
Peace:D

tomtomsmom
11-14-2007, 11:26 PM
Ain't isn't a word! Is typing isn't so much harder than typing innit? I think not!!

I agree with Snakelegs! Any mod should be able to delete offensive pictures or posts even if it isn't "their" section!!!

Re.TiReD
11-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Ain't isn't a word! Is typing isn't so much harder than typing innit? I think not!!

I agree with Snakelegs! Any mod should be able to delete offensive pictures or posts even if it isn't "their" section!!!
Hi, what do you mean? offensive pictures or posts? for example? are you talking about slang still? :playing:

tomtomsmom
11-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Hi, what do you mean? offensive pictures or posts? for example? are you talking about slang still? :playing:
Sorry sis, should have quoted. Scroll up an read Snakelegs post. It isn't about the slang. More of a bigger issue tormenting LI.

H4RUN
11-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Peace

I do think i mentioned where the 'aint it' part came from...'IS IT NOT' :D

You could well be right, but try saying the two. Isn't saying 'innnaaay' a whole lot easier on the tongue than isn't it :D Lazy we are
I do apologise for being brought up in te City of Luton

Peace

Re.TiReD
11-14-2007, 11:34 PM
:) innit...or innay literally means 'isnt it?' :) it is usually used by lazy teenagers seeking confirmation from their peers, hope that helps!

There you go sis tomtomsmom! :) much better than his explanation! :) and yes, I understand what you mean now :)

tomtomsmom
11-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Peace

You could well be right, but try saying the two. Isn't saying 'innnaaay' a whole lot easier on the tongue than isn't it :D Lazy we are

Peace
Well hey, I speak redneck but if that is the way I type nobody would understand me. Sometimes it sneaks through and I throw a yall or something in and people go :?. So I try no to so everyone can understand my posts. Otherwise I would be like other members who simply get ignored because very few can understand what they are trying to say!

In joking type threads I am not bothered by it so much. It is serious threads that it really ticks me off. It is hard to have a real discussion with someone when the posts are all screwy and you can't read them.

The Ruler
11-15-2007, 09:19 PM
That's funny, wanting to implement a good grasp of the English language and yet they made a mistake themselves. I believe it is 'capitalization' (or s, depending on which nation you go by). Just thought I'd point that out.
Difference between the American and the British style of spelling.

Get me?
Oh, but that's what gives them advantage.

Jayda
11-15-2007, 09:28 PM
  • Your posts should be legible, meaning using captelization, periods, correct spellingand correct grammar.

:giggling:

Pk_#2
11-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Peace

Peace
It's a town baby bro..

I don't see the big deal, i think everyone understands 'inay' and what not,

If you don't I'll invite you around Lu'on for 2 weeks and you'll soon pick up inshaAllah wa ta'ala,

H4run you take the brothers!

Sorted.

Intisar
11-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Difference between the American and the British style of spelling.
:sl: No, it's spelt completely incorrect. 'Captelization' is not a word. :muddlehea

aqsakhan
11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Assalam-o-alaikum w r w b,
I need to b cautious in the near future when i post anything.
but this rule have its a little bit problem for those members who are very much inroduced and used to slang language.
Inshahallah i will try my best to do it

The Ruler
11-16-2007, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sister-Ameena*
:sl: No, it's spelt completely incorrect. 'Captelization' is not a word. :muddlehea
I shall contact that forum admins to change their spelling in their rules since it makes it rather hypocritic. I copied and posted.

I need to b cautious in the near future when i post anything.
but this rule have its a little bit problem for those members who are very much inroduced and used to slang language.
Inshahallah i will try my best to do it
Dear sis, why don't you browse over my previous posts?

Re.TiReD
11-16-2007, 11:46 AM

Just a little input from me Insha'Allah, I think it would be a good idea for members to refrain from using microscopic font sizes whilst typing, it seems as though they dont want their posts read and most often than not they probably arent. Also, colours such as this and --> that are probabaly not sensible for a post, unless you have good reason to of course.

IbnAbdulHakim
11-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullaah

I would further like to ask that people avoid using this color, the color white because whilst you may be attempting to hide your message and view it for a specific people, it can almost be guaranteed that every person will highlight the text and read clearly each word hoping to grasp the message thus wasting a lot of their time by not only reading the text but also highlighting it, just as you have highlighted this and wasted a precious amount of your own time.

Re.TiReD
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

I would further like to ask that people avoid using this color, the color white because whilst you may be attempting to hide your message and view it for a specific people, it can almost be guaranteed that every person will highlight the text and read clearly each word hoping to grasp the message thus wasting a lot of their time by not only reading the text but also highlighting it, just as you have highlighted this and wasted a precious amount of your own time.
Wa'Alaykum salam warahmatullah

Nah, my time wasnt wasted because I laughed and laughter is good for you, just out of curiosity, was that white? white usually shows doesnt it? Anyway, using white whilst attempting to hide your message is a good idea, its better than PM'ing which is a waste of time and such a message can ensure that nothing silly is going to be said as the poster is aware that everybody else will read the message, understand?

aqsakhan
11-16-2007, 11:55 AM
it cant b read brother ibn abdulhakim and jihad un nafs i think the font color is somewhat i mean i cant understand

IbnAbdulHakim
11-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Wa'Alaykum salam warahmatullah

Nah, my time wasnt wasted because I laughed and laughter is good for you, just out of curiosity, was that white? white usually shows doesnt it? Anyway, using white whilst attempting to hide your message is a good idea, its better than PM'ing which is a waste of time and such a message can ensure that nothing silly is going to be said as the poster is aware that everybody else will read the message, understand?

However had my message not made you laugh surely it would have been a waste and thus coloring it white would have only added to the aggravation of the reader of the text thus resulting in possible outlash which could cause harm to a certain individual. We wouldnt want that now would we !

Re.TiReD
11-16-2007, 11:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aqsakhan
it cant b read brother ibn abdulhakim and jihad un nafs i think the font color is somewhat i mean i cant understand
Brother IbnAbdulHakim has gone barmy sis, it doesnt matter, his post wasnt important :D

(Ima die laughing, somebodys swallowed the dictionary)

:)

IbnAbdulHakim
11-16-2007, 12:01 PM

forgive me but i must add one last comment, all this white font looks as merry as the beautiful white snow flakes of winter, i must say if everyone used this font it would give a warmth to the heart whilst viewing LI , it could also possible cause some damage to the eyes but thats not important seeing as we have that warmth of the heart, eh what?

Re.TiReD
11-16-2007, 12:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

forgive me but i must add one last comment, all this white font looks as merry as the beautiful white snow flakes of winter, i must say if everyone used this font it would give a warmth to the heart whilst viewing LI , it could also possible cause some damage to the eyes but thats not important seeing as we have that warmth of the heart, eh what?
La Akhee, the font does not look as merry as the beautiful white snowflakes of winter, how can it 'look' a certain way when it cannot be seen anyway?

Back to topic: Reading a post with green, pale blue and pink font is not very enjoyable, no matter how beneficial the thread in question may be. just my 2000 rupees worth :)

------
11-16-2007, 12:05 PM

:lol: Ur worse than me bro :ooh: :D

aqsakhan
11-16-2007, 12:08 PM
dear brother i really respect your thoughts about peace and that beauty but the post could be read also i m sorry if i sound a bit rude also.
Assalam-o-alaikum w r w b

IbnAbdulHakim
11-16-2007, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aqsakhan
dear brother i really respect your thoughts about peace and that beauty but the post could be read also i m sorry if i sound a bit rude also.
Assalam-o-alaikum w r w b
Wa alaikum ussalaam wa rahmatullah

your not being rude at all mashaAllaah, very polite

if you simply highlight the white text you will be able to read it perfectly inshaAllaah !

Ummu Sufyaan
11-16-2007, 12:18 PM
La Akhee, the font does not look as merry as the beautiful white snowflakes of winter, how can it 'look' a certain way when it cannot be seen anyway?

Back to topic: Reading a post with green, pale blue and pink font is not very enjoyable, no matter how beneficial the thread in question may be. just my 2 rupees worth :)
yeah sis, i hurts my eyes. i dont even read them. i read like the 2 first words if that, than im like pffft, tuned out lol..

aqsakhan
11-16-2007, 01:52 PM
ok i will surely try to highlight the one and read it

*charisma*
11-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

This thread is hilarious lol.

The problem isn't the slang/ bad grammar usage around here, it's when its used. I think it's gotten a lot better over the past couple of years. In the halal fun section, I wouldn't care how you wrote, nothing is serious over there anyhow lol. In other sections, I would prefer LIers to write more formally, especially if its of significance to everyone.

It's true that not everyone's first language is English, but it doesn't have to be. You can tell the maturity level of anyone just by reading what they write. Also, what better way for nonEnglish speakers to learn English than for them to read it properly, its the slang and the shortcuts that make it harder for them; if it is used in other places where its more appropriate, then it will show how laxed/comfortable members are around here and thats what would help bring in members. We don't have to be black and white on the subject. Just be smart about it.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

The Ruler
11-16-2007, 04:53 PM

Laughter really is good for you. It strengthens the immune system. That reminds me of white blood cells, and the font's white. Hah! I've just made a connection which would possibly serve as a reason for white font.

In the halal fun section, I wouldn't care how you wrote, nothing is serious over there anyhow lol
Halal fun is still a section of this forum and nonEnglish memebers still visit it. So I believe that the rule should apply there too. :-)

*charisma*
11-16-2007, 05:06 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

The content of the thread should be in proper English, yea, but the replies shouldn't matter unless they're somewhat beneficial to the readers.

For example, "Lol, datz funi sis :D" as a reply,

I don't see a problem with that, we have to be laxed in our writing somewhere if people aren't allowed to do it elsewhere in the forum.

I'm going to add though, its better if everyone wrote properly, for some it may be hard, but as Muslims, we shouldn't look dim or too informal.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

The Ruler
11-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Let me enter the field of emotions here:

Those type of replies are skipped. Believe it or not, I read every single reply regardless. And typing like that may infact create emotions of dislike towards that particular person in many. Thus resulting in ---> Hatred *doo doo doo dooom* :-D

*charisma*
11-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

;D true, but you can't stop everyone. It used to be so annoying to me too, but I don't care as much anymore. I think this thread is good though, to know where people generally stand on that topic.

Inshallah all will go well, and the change will be to everyone's benefit. Either way, it is best to write in proper English. I don't get picky about it though unless its a serious topic lol. That's just me though.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

IbnAbdulHakim
11-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Laughter really is good for you. It strengthens the immune system. That reminds me of white blood cells, and the font's white. Hah! I've just made a connection which would possibly serve as a reason for white font.

Halal fun is still a section of this forum and nonEnglish memebers still visit it. So I believe that the rule should apply there too. :-)

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah

Taking such stances may lead one to start thinking of you as a bit of a scrooge, eh what?

*resumes smoking pipe*

Important Note: Smoking is Haram, i abhor, detest, find repulsive, mallignant, terrible and sickening.

I conclude with, whats halaal let it be, the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam was kind and caring, but when people had fun in halaal ways he didnt stop them, rather he smiled along with them, Alhamdulillaah.

The Ruler
11-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Taking such stances may lead one to start thinking of you as a bit of a scrooge, eh what?
I'm not too worried. There's a freedom to judging. You may deduce of me whatever you wish.

I conclude with, whats halaal let it be, the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam was kind and caring, but when people had fun in halaal ways he didnt stop them, rather he smiled along with them, Alhamdulillaah.
Sometimes halaal causes become harmful as regards to the situation in hand.

I do not wish to elaborate on this, and hereby leave the decision onto the moderators/admins.

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-26-2007, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu Alaikum

This thread is hilarious lol.

The problem isn't the slang/ bad grammar usage around here, it's when its used. I think it's gotten a lot better over the past couple of years. In the halal fun section, I wouldn't care how you wrote, nothing is serious over there anyhow lol. In other sections, I would prefer LIers to write more formally, especially if its of significance to everyone.

It's true that not everyone's first language is English, but it doesn't have to be. You can tell the maturity level of anyone just by reading what they write. Also, what better way for nonEnglish speakers to learn English than for them to read it properly, its the slang and the shortcuts that make it harder for them; if it is used in other places where its more appropriate, then it will show how laxed/comfortable members are around here and thats what would help bring in members. We don't have to be black and white on the subject. Just be smart about it.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
Assalam o Allikum
i complete agree with charisma, but i would also like to add that vulgar slang should not be tolerated, especially on an islamic forum, having slang words with multiple meanings and ones that are actually more known to be sexually orientated should be screened like the little stars we see as thus *****. Its quite offensive to see such words when viewing qoutes from The Quran and Hadith, i just feel thats disrespectful.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.