/* */

PDA

View Full Version : school blues

lewcow
11-16-2007, 12:51 AM
Salaam.

I have a bit of a problem. I just converted and am a senior at a christian liberal arts college. To make matters worse, I am a religious studies major and most of my profs are secular and/or christian. I am concerned for I am required to take at least one more Christian based course.

One other thing is that there are a some arrogant profs here; and I am concerned about having one giving me 'orders', as I am not to have any other 'lords'. I highly doubt there will be a prof that will say, "please have your assignments to me by tuesday, Insha'Allah."

Ma Salaama,

Lewis

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nicro
11-16-2007, 12:57 AM
Assalamu Alaykum,

I say trudge through it. How bad could it be? Just thank Allah for guiding you!

*charisma*
11-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

Taking other religious courses can become an advantage to you seeing as you're a muslim. The more someone knows about other religions, the better he is able to communicate with those of other faiths. It helps strengthen your da'wah (call to Islam) skills.

As for getting ordered around, don't do anything that will belittle you or your beliefs, ever. Do the very best you can on all your assignments so that they don't have a reason to get arrogant on you.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

lewcow
11-16-2007, 03:11 AM
Often I think I should bear it. Does anyone else ever worry about following the directives of someone other than the Prophet (saws)? A course instructor is a guide in a sense. And if that guide is leading in a direction that is not inline with Allah's teachings, I fear being led astray, especially since i am new in the faith. I mean, in a sense, they tell me what to do and what is what. In terms of them telling me what to do, of course I could say no, Insha'Allah, but that may set off the wrong professor... but then again, if I leave it to Allah to guide me, then things should be alright. Perhaps my concern comes as i may have an option to start a distance Islamic studies course, but I have the worldly desire to get my degree at this very reputable institution first, for job security mostly. But I suppose having this inner jihaad at a christian institution could prove encouraging for other Muslims... Allah knows best.

Salaam to you, and thanks to Allah.

lewcow

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
UmmSqueakster
11-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Nope, I don't worry about that at all. If we couldn't follow someone else's orders, then how would business, government, or anything work? Just as long as the orders don't tell you to do something against sacred law, you're a-ok.

And I was a religious studies major in college, first at a christian liberal arts school and later at a large state university. I took tons of courses on other religions, and as long as I didn't profess belief in any of them, it was all good.

Dawud_uk
11-17-2007, 06:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lewcow
Often I think I should bear it. Does anyone else ever worry about following the directives of someone other than the Prophet (saws)? A course instructor is a guide in a sense. And if that guide is leading in a direction that is not inline with Allah's teachings, I fear being led astray, especially since i am new in the faith. I mean, in a sense, they tell me what to do and what is what. In terms of them telling me what to do, of course I could say no, Insha'Allah, but that may set off the wrong professor... but then again, if I leave it to Allah to guide me, then things should be alright. Perhaps my concern comes as i may have an option to start a distance Islamic studies course, but I have the worldly desire to get my degree at this very reputable institution first, for job security mostly. But I suppose having this inner jihaad at a christian institution could prove encouraging for other Muslims... Allah knows best.

Salaam to you, and thanks to Allah.

lewcow

wa alaykumus salaam lewcow,

this is sometimes a problem, and is exactly why some ulema ask for people to be cautious before applying for a course in the west as it usually means a kaffir is placed in authority over them.

your course and surroundings sound interesting, especially from a dawah point of view, perhaps when writing for a christian professor you can write a paper saying things like "christians beleive... whilst other faiths follow different views," then give the islamic alternative as the major other world alternative.

at the end of the day dont say, do or write anything that is shirk, if you have to write a paper on christianity say "christians beleive jesus is the son of God" not "jesus is the son of God", you have to distance yourself from such statements yourself and make it clear this is not your viewpoint.

if you find that studying in this place is endangering your faith then at that point think of leaving would be my advice, if not then give em some dawah if you can, many christians have zero exposure to islamic arguments or they get told twisted versions to make them dismiss islam as false.

e.g i have had loads of christians come up to me on dawah stalls saying you believe to achieve heaven through deeds not faith, not realising that deeds are the physical embodiment of faith, faith without deeds lacks sincerity where as deeds without faith is hypocosy.

when christians have this misconception cleared up for them then you can move on and point out that not all christians beleive in salvation through faith alone, the letters from james to paul on this issue for example (though like the rest of the bible we dont know if it is 100% or 0% authentic)

there are many other dawah arguments you can use, and coming from that background you are well armed and insha'allah you should use them on your fellow students and professors if you can.

assalaamau alaykum,
Abu Abdullah

lewcow
11-17-2007, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=Dawud_uk;860659]wa alaykumus salaam lewcow,

this is sometimes a problem, and is exactly why some ulema ask for people to be cautious before applying for a course in the west as it usually means a kaffir is placed in authority over them.

-end quote

Yeah, this is what concerns me. For example, I'm in a class concerning holocaust Theology, and its a seminar, so basically we just sit around and discuss these different theologian's perspectives on Allah's role therein. Of course, there is hardly a Muslim voice heard. The professor makes the choices of arguments and directs the discussion, making sure to bring up points that she thinks are important. I'm affraid that by learning under her terms, I will be led in a way that is false. She sets forth readings, she sets due dates. I question situationally whether or not I should be there.

If I do choose to ditch, does anyone know of a good place that I can go in the Mid-East to finish my degree and learn Arabic? I don't know how I would be able to afford it though. (I'm in debt as it is to my parents and banks - usury is another concern) my gpa is just over a 3.0, though if I drop at this point that will drop too.

lewcow
11-17-2007, 07:28 PM
[quote=Dawud_uk;860659]wa alaykumus salaam lewcow,

-end quote

Yeah, this is what concerns me. For example, I'm in a class concerning holocaust Theology, and its a seminar, so basically we just sit around and discuss these different theologian's perspectives on Allah's role therein. Of course, there is hardly a Muslim voice heard. The professor makes the choices of arguments and directs the discussion, making sure to bring up points that she thinks are important. I'm affraid that by learning under her terms, I will be led in a way that is false. She sets forth readings, she sets due dates. I question situationally whether or not I should be there.

If I do choose to ditch, does anyone know of a good place that I can go in the Mid-East to finish my degree and learn Arabic? I don't know how I would be able to afford it though. (I'm in debt as it is to my parents and banks - usury is another concern) my gpa is just over a 3.0, though if I drop at this point that will drop too.

Jayda
11-17-2007, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lewcow
Salaam.

I have a bit of a problem. I just converted and am a senior at a christian liberal arts college. To make matters worse, I am a religious studies major and most of my profs are secular and/or christian. I am concerned for I am required to take at least one more Christian based course.

One other thing is that there are a some arrogant profs here; and I am concerned about having one giving me 'orders', as I am not to have any other 'lords'. I highly doubt there will be a prof that will say, "please have your assignments to me by tuesday, Insha'Allah."

Ma Salaama,

Lewis
hola Lewis,

while this is difficult, have you considered the possibility that it is time to change schools? for education it is better to be in an environment in which you feel comfortable, that way you can get the maximum benefit from your classes and you have less on your mind (and therefore more room for knowledge).

learning is and should be fun and rewarding, not a chore and not something you begrudge doing. it is like exercising, the more you do it the more confidence you build in yourself and you can get on a high from the feelings of expansion and accomplishment. you do not want to lose that to the gloom of feeling on the outside. there shouldn't be 'school blues'

i'm a complete scholastic dork... if i were not a mother right now i would still be in the ivory tower majoring in some other new thing. lol even at most most of the time people can find me in the library or my study when my children are asleep...

que Dios te bendiga

niler
11-27-2007, 11:07 AM
bro lew. u have a chance of influencing the non muslims around u on the true islam based on ur actions n deeds. but if u feel ul jeorpadize ur faith , then al suggest as a concerned muslim, to either change school, or the unit ur doin.

for me ad luv 2 hav a chance study the bible n such like stuff cz knowledge is power. i can use my knowledge to propagate islam. of coz one who knows is different frm one who doesnt.
but i cant do that unless i know my deen well n i can understand the quran v.well.

so if u feel ur faith is at stake, look 4 ada options.. n may Allah make it easy 4u inshlh.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.