/* */

PDA

View Full Version : PLUCKING eyebrows.

Ameeratul Layl
09-20-2005, 07:55 AM
:sl: warahmatulahi Wa Barakatuhu :brother: and :sister:

Only a few days ago, I went to see my friend as she has come back from Saudi Arabia-MashAllah.
She went with her husband (a saudi citizen BUT NOT saudi). They both went for their wedding party as he wanted to show his new bride to his family and friends.

I was so sad to see that she had her eyebrows plucked and her face bleached. She told me that she was kept in the salon (in saudi) EVERYDAY for 5 hours. JUST to look ACCEPTABLE in front of family and friends who came to visit her.

I must admit. She is naturally beautiful and her natural eyebrows were naturally beautiful. It really hurt to see that her eye brows were plucked and they looked blonde instead of black.

At school, I was told by my I.S teacher that plucking is haram in Islam as the Prophet curses you when you carry out such an act.
in addition, I was told that, if you have eyebrows that join up in the middle then you can ONLY do the middle so it doesnt look like a mans.

Could someone plz provide me with some hadith so I can quote it to my friend. I couldnt tell her it was wrong the other day as I had NO PROOF.

Plz help...anyone?

m3 salaam
Raiyhana :wilted_ro

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Far7an
09-20-2005, 07:57 AM
wa alaikum asalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Hair which we are forbidden to remove, which includes the eyebrows. The action of removing the hair of the eyebrows is called al-namas. It is also forbidden to remove the hair of the beard. The evidence for that is the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Allaah has cursed the woman who does tattoos and the one who has them done, the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah), and the one who files her teeth for the purpose of beauty, altering the creation of Allaah.”

(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5931; Muslim, 2125)

Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Ameeratul Layl
09-20-2005, 08:01 AM
:sl:

JazakAllah so much brother.
Know I have evidence....her husband will have no choice but to leave her beautiful face alone,not plucking etc).

JazakAllah so much
m3 salaam
Raiyhana :wilted_ro

sis_in_islam
09-20-2005, 08:39 PM
I was told u could only remove in between the eyebrows.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
minaz
09-20-2005, 08:48 PM
what like this dude?

hippopotty
09-20-2005, 10:09 PM
The nature of this thread is all good...but I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop giggling at Minaz's entry above mine....too funny!

Mr. Zeidan
09-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Assalam alaikum

Far7an, u said it is forbidden to remove the hair of your beard? Does that mean you can't shave?

youn9_mu$l!m@h
09-21-2005, 04:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sis_in_islam
I was told u could only remove in between the eyebrows.
Salaamz Me to

BlissfullyJaded
09-21-2005, 04:46 AM

Yes...in between the eyebrows is permissable to remove. :)

And it also says (5/197): “What is the Islamic ruling on removing hair that grows between the eyebrows? The Committee replied: It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows.”
Source

snowlilies
09-21-2005, 05:17 AM
as long as she do that(pluck her eyebrow) to make sure she looks beautiful and attractive for her husband its nuthing wrong coz she dun show to other ppl other wise......

mujahedeen2087
09-21-2005, 06:00 AM
that would hurt

BlissfullyJaded
09-21-2005, 06:05 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by snowlilies
as long as she do that(pluck her eyebrow) to make sure she looks beautiful and attractive for her husband its nuthing wrong coz she dun show to other ppl other wise......
Nope, its haram even when she does it for the husband. You're not supposed to obey the husband to the extent that you're disobeying your Creator.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen said: “It is not permissible to cut the hair of the eyebrows, or to shave it, reduce it or pluck it, even with the husband’s approval. This is not the matter of beauty, rather it is altering the creation of Allaah Who is the Best of creators. A warning has been narrated against doing that and the one who does it is cursed; this implies that it is forbidden.
Source

:)

Far7an
09-21-2005, 06:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zeidan
Assalam alaikum

Far7an, u said it is forbidden to remove the hair of your beard? Does that mean you can't shave?
wa alaikum asalaam

Barakallah feek for your reply, may Allah reward you for your eagerness to learn more about the deen.

first of all, It was not my statement, this was part of a fatwa from Islamqa, the link which I provided at the bottom of that post. Forgive me for not posting the full fatwa, I will do so now, and I will highlight the part in relation to the beard...
Question :

I know that plucking the eyebrows is haram and removing facial hair is also but that we can remove hair above the lip and in between the eyebrows. What about the hair that comes between the hair line and the eyebrows down to the eyebrow?.
Answer :
Praise be to Allaah. Firstly:

With regard to removing hair or not removing it, the scholars divide hair into three categories:

1 – Hair which we are commanded to remove or shorten. This is known as Sunan al-Fitrah, such as removing the pubic hairs, trimming the moustache and plucking the armpit hairs. That also includes shaving or cutting the hair of the head during Hajj or ‘Umrah.

The evidence for that is the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Ten (actions) are part of the fitrah [natural inclinations of man]: trimming the moustache, letting the beard grow, using the siwaak (tooth-stick), rinsing the nose with water, clipping the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the armpit hairs, shaving the pubes and washing oneself with water after relieving oneself.”

Zakariyya said: Mus’ab said: And I forgot the tenth but it may have been rinsing the mouth with water.

Narrated by Muslim, 261

2 – Hair which we are forbidden to remove, which includes the eyebrows. The action of removing the hair of the eyebrows is called al-namas. It is also forbidden to remove the hair of the beard.

The evidence for that is the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Allaah has cursed the woman who does tattoos and the one who has them done, the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah), and the one who files her teeth for the purpose of beauty, altering the creation of Allaah.”

And it was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Be different from the mushrikeen: let your beards grow and trim your moustaches.”
(Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5892; Muslim, 259)

al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

The naamisah is the woman who removes hair from the face and the mutanammisah is the one who asks to have that done. This action is haraam, unless a woman develops a beard or moustache, in which case it is not haraam to remove it, rather that is mustahabb in our view.

Sharh al-Nawawi li Saheeh Muslim, 14/106

3 – Hair concerning which the texts are silent and do not say whether it is to be removed or left as it is, such as hair on the legs, hands, cheeks or forehead.
There is some difference of scholarly opinion concerning this.

Some said that it is not permissible to remove it, because removing it implies changing the creation of Allaah, as Allaah tells us that the Shaytaan said:

“ ‘and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah’”[al-Nisa’ 4:119 – interpretation of the meaning]

Some said that this is one of the things concerning which nothing was said, so the ruling is that it is allowed. It is permissible to leave it or to remove it, because whatever is not mentioned in the Qur’aan or Sunnah is permissible.
This was the view favoured by the scholars of the Standing Committee and by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen. See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 3/879

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah:

(a) There is no sin on a woman if she removes hair on her upper lip, thighs, calves and arms. This is not part of the tanammus (plucking) that is forbidden.

(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194, 195)

(b) The Committee was asked:

What is the Islamic ruling on plucking the hair between the eyebrows?
They replied:
It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows.

(Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/197)

The Standing Committee was asked:

What is the ruling on a woman removing hair from her body?

They replied:

It is permissible for her to do that, apart from the hair of the eyebrows and head. It is not permissible for her to remove the hair of her head or to remove any part of the eyebrows, whether by shaving or any other means.
Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/194

We should comment on the questioner’s words “I know that plucking the eyebrows is haraam and removing facial hair is also.”

As for plucking the eyebrows, this is haraam and is a major sin, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed those who do it.

But as for removing facial hair, there is a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether it is permissible to remove it. This is based on their various understandings of the word al-namas.

Some scholars said that al-namas means removing any facial hair, and they did not limit it to the eyebrows. Others were of the view that al-namas refers to removing the hair of the eyebrows only. This was the view favoured by the Standing Committee as is clear from the fatwas quoted above.

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah:

Al-namas means plucking the hair of the eyebrows, which is not permissible because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah).

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, 5/195

And Allaah knows best.

sherbie cola
09-21-2005, 10:13 AM
As far as i know we r not allowed to pluck our eyebrows as we r changing our face , we should be happy with what Allah has given us and this is distorting our face. It is a great shame that alot of ladies think there is no harm in doing this. I have informed relatives and friends and they juyst laugh at me.

Mainul_Islam
09-21-2005, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sherbie cola
As far as i know we r not allowed to pluck our eyebrows as we r changing our face , we should be happy with what Allah has given us and this is distorting our face. It is a great shame that alot of ladies think there is no harm in doing this. I have informed relatives and friends and they juyst laugh at me.

:( sister, dont feel bad.. its better to be popular with Allah than any1 else

Malaikah
09-27-2005, 09:16 AM
maybe you should provide the hadith about the issue so they believe it

Ameeratul Layl
09-27-2005, 09:17 AM

I got this from the islam-qa:
http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/Fatwa/S...stionId&lang=E

m3 salaam
:wilted_ro

Vedad
09-27-2005, 03:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zeidan
Assalam alaikum

wa aleykum assalam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu!

exactly!! shaving is haraam...

check theese sites up inshallah:
http://www.muttaqun.com/beard.html
http://www.islam.tc/beard/
http://www.islam.tc/beard/beard.html
http://www.islam.tc/beard/beard6.html

Vedad
09-27-2005, 03:25 PM
Importance of the Beard in the words of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam):

(1) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "I have no connection iwth one who shaves, shouts and tears his clothing eg. in grief or affication."
- Reported by Abu Darda (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(2) The teachings of Hadhrat Ammar Bin Yaasir, Abdullah Ibn Umar, Sayyidina Umar, Abu Hurairah and Jaabir (R.A.), indicate that ALL used to keep beards that were one fist length or more. Hadhrat Jaabir (R.A.) had said: "We used to grow long beards and only during Hajj and Umrah did we trim them to the required length (i.e. fist length)."

(3) Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) relates that: "He who imitates the kuffar (non-believers) and dies in that state, he will be raised up with them on the Day of Qiyamat (Judgement)."

(4) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) says: "Trim closely the moustache, and let the beard flow (Grow)."
- Narrated Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 498

(5) "Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) ordered us to trim the moustache closely and spare the beard" says Ibn Umar.
- Muslim, Hadith no. 449

(6) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)said: "Act against contrary to the polythesists, trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."
- Reported by Ibn Umar (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 500

(7) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said "Trim closely the moustache and grow the beard."
- Reported by Abu Hurairah (R.A.) in Muslim, Hadith no. 501

(8) Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: "Anyone who shaves has no claim to the mercy of Allah"
- Reported by Ibn Abbas (R.A.) in Tibrabi

(9) Hadhrat Abdullah Ibn Umar (R.A.) used to cut that portion (which exceeds the grip of the hand) of the beard.
- Tirmidhi

The Beard according to the Great Imams of Jurisprudence

Hanafi

Imam Muhammed (R.A.) writes in his book "Kitabul Aathaar" where he relates from Imam Abu Hanifa (R.A.) who relates from Hadhrat Haytham (R.A.) who relates from Ibn Umar (R.A.) that he (Ibn Umar) used to hold his beard in his hand and cut off which was longer. Imam Muhammed (R.A.) says that this is what we follow and this was the decision of Imam Abu Hanifa. Therefore, according to Hanafies, to shorten the beard less than a FIST LENGTH is HARAAM and on this is IJMA (concensus of opinion).

Shafi'i

Imam Shafi (R.A.) in his Kitabul Umm states, "To shave the beard is HARAAM." (Shari Minhaj dar Shara Fasl Aqueeqa).

Maaliki

Shekh Ahmad Nafarawi Maliki in the commentary of Imam Abu Zayed's booklet states, "to shave the beard is without doubt haraam according to all Imams." It is also mention in "Tamheed" which is a commentary of "Muatta" (Sunnan Imam Malik (R.A.)) that to shave the beard is HARAAM and among males the only ones to resort to this practice (of shaving) are the HERMAPHRODITES (persons who possess both male and female features and characteristics).

Hanbali

The Hanbalies in the famous Al-Khanie'a Hanbali Fatawa Kitab state that "to grow the beard is essential and to shave it is HARAAM." Also in the Hanbali Mathab books "Sharahul Muntahaa" and "Sharr Manzoomatul Aadaab", it is stated "The most accepted view is that it is HARAAM (prohibited to shave the beard)."

Also note, according to scholars of Islam: "To shave off the beard is unlawful (haraam) and one who shaves his beard is legally speaking an unrighteous fellow (FASIQ); hence, it is NOT PERMISSIBLE to appoint such a man as an Imam. To say Taraweeh behind such an Imam is MAKRUH-E-TAHRIMI (near prohibition)" (Shami Vol.1, p.523)

The Durre-Mukhtar states: "No one has called it permissible to trim it (the beard) less than FIST-LENGTH as is being done by some westernized Muslims and hermaphrodites." (Vol. 2, p. 155). Also, "It is forbidden (haraam) for a man to cut off another's beard." (Vol. 5, p. 359).

Conclusion

Thus, a Muslim who shaves or shortens his beard is like a hermaphrodite, his Imamate near prohibition, his evidence is not valid, he will not have the right to vote or being voted for. Shaving and shortening the beard is the action of non-believers. Imam Ghazzali (RA) says: "Know that the key to total bliss (Saadah) lies in following the Sunnah and in emulating the life of Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) in ALL that issues from him, and in ALL his doings even if it concerns the manner of his eating, rising, sleeping, and speaking. I do say thisin relation to rituals in worship ONLY because ther is no way neglecting the Sunnah reported of him in such matters - but what I say INCLUDES EVERY ASPECT of his daily life." (Kitab al Arbain Addin, Cairo 1344, p. 89). Furthermore, in the Holy Qur'an, Allah told Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) to say:

"Say: "If ye do love Allah, Follow me: Allah will love you and forgive you your sins: For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Quran 3:31)

The daily recitation of a band of angels of Allah is "Holy is the Being who adorned men with beards and women with braids" (Takmela e Bahr al Raiq, Vol. 3, p. 331)

Lastly, Allah Ta'ala says in the Holy Qur'an: "And when the true believers are called to Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) [to accept and practice the law and commands of Allah and His Rasul (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam)] that he may pass judgement upon them, their ONLY reply is 'We hear and obey.' Such men shall surely prosper." (24:51)

THE CALL IS TO GROW A FIST LENGTH BEARD, LET US HEAR AND OBEY TO PROSPER.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Blessed Beard... Grow it, what's so hard to understand?
Commentary by Islam.tc

Muslims are overcome with western influence in their lives and it's easy to forget, nay, neglect the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him). Little do these Muslims realize the magnitude of their actions in imitating Kufaar (see Hadith section). This is a truly shocking! Hopefully the information presented herein will enlighten those. And then there are others who claim that the matters concerning beards is a "little" issue not worthy of mention nor practice. To them I say get off the denial bandwagon, you're a Muslim! Follow the Prophet (Peace be upon him) in all aspects of life, for he was the best of examples. I couldn't tell you how many times I've mistaken a Muslim brother (outside of the Masjid) for a kaafir on account of his clean-shaven, well oiled, face. How can I say "Assalaamu Alaikum Brother!" when I do not know if he is a Muslim. Yet that very brother then wonders why he was ignored! Sure, he can tell if others are Muslim on account of their beard, but what about himself? From one brother to another, I say: "Grow a beard, then, since it also promotes Brotherhood in the real world. Stand with your Brothers, be one. We know you think you are handsome without it (a beard), but who cares? What matters is how Allah (S.W.T.) sees you. And when you do grow a beard, don't mock the Sunnah, please grow it correctly, i.e. FIST LENGTH. That is the prescribed length and no shorter (see Hadeeth section)..." Peace.

Protected_Diamond
09-27-2005, 03:38 PM
hmmm.intresting!!

sum peeps say u allowed and others say u not...i got an islamic buk which says u allowed 2 neaten it if its really bad, if not u not allowed...but im not so sure coz i asked ma islamic teacher yeah n shes liked studied islam all her life and she said it's not permissable 4 women 2 pluk thier eybrows... :confused:

renak
04-14-2006, 09:08 AM
1 – Hair which we are commanded to remove or shorten. This is known as Sunan al-Fitrah, such as removing the pubic hairs, trimming the moustache and plucking the armpit hairs. That also includes shaving or cutting the hair of the head during Hajj or ‘Umrah.

The evidence for that is the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) who said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Ten (actions) are part of the fitrah [natural inclinations of man]: trimming the moustache, letting the beard grow, using the siwaak (tooth-stick), rinsing the nose with water, clipping the nails, washing the finger joints, plucking the armpit hairs, shaving the pubes and washing oneself with water after relieving oneself.”

Do men and women both need to shave off their pubic hair? All of it?

Umu 'Isa
04-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Do men and women both need to shave off their pubic hair? All of it?
I believe so.. Please see here [Why do we have to cut our pubic hair and armpit hair]

renak
04-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Thank you for the link:

Why do we have to cut our pubic hair and armpit hair? Do we have to keep doing it?

Al-Salam `alaykum

The hair within the pubic area and armpits should be removed. It is disliked to leave this till the hair becomes long.

It is recommended that this be done weekly, ideally on Friday (before the Friday prayer). It is not disliked if this done at least once every 15 days. It is blameworthy if not done within 15 days, and sinful beyond 40 days.

[Tahtawi, Hashiyat al-Tahtawi `ala al-Maraqi al-Falah]

The wisdom behind this law of the Shari`a is apparently cleanliness. However as with all other laws of the Shari`a this is merely according to our understanding. There may be many other wisdoms that we are unaware of. The law has to be carried out - even if the wisdom is not understood.

Also see the related post:

Abu Usamah
Does anyone know how this would contribute to cleanliness????? I would think that a person who showers once or twice a day wouldn't have a problem with smelling, etc... Also, it looks like shaving everyday would expose a person to the possibility of razor cuts, which could lead to minor infections.

I also fail to see how a person would have the time to shave everyday. If a person did not shave everyday, wouldn't it be itchy???

If total removal of pubic hair is commanded, I wish to adhere to this grooming practice.

BlissfullyJaded
04-14-2006, 10:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by renak
Also, it looks like shaving everyday would expose a person to the possibility of razor cuts, which could lead to minor infections.

I also fail to see how a person would have the time to shave everyday. If a person did not shave everyday, wouldn't it be itchy???
Where does it say everyday? :?

It is recommended that this be done weekly, ideally on Friday (before the Friday prayer). It is not disliked if this done at least once every 15 days. It is blameworthy if not done within 15 days, and sinful beyond 40 days.

renak
04-15-2006, 09:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah
Where does it say everyday? :?
It doesn't say everyday. Let me rephrase this. lol

If I shaved once per week I would itch like crazy. I can visualize why it would be best for me to stay at home and not have a career. All I'd have time to do is scratch my crotch.

If I shaved everyday, I would not itch. Therefore, frequent shaving would allow for more accidental cuts.

The whole idea of everyone shaving off all their pubic hair is difficult for me to grasp.

sumay28
04-15-2006, 09:24 AM
BEYOND 40 DAYS!!! Woah!! Hey you know, that hadith about the eyebrow plucking always scares me. I have 2 tattos and I used to pluck my eyebrows... this was before I knew it was haram, but the tattoos arn't something I can wash off.

sadieadel
04-18-2006, 07:26 AM
I know that we are mandated to follow these grooming procedures. Does anyone know what purpose they serve?

yussufmo
04-18-2006, 07:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
wa alaikum asalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuh

Hair which we are forbidden to remove, which includes the eyebrows. The action of removing the hair of the eyebrows is called al-namas. It is also forbidden to remove the hair of the beard. The evidence for that is the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Allaah has cursed the woman who does tattoos and the one who has them done, the woman who plucks eyebrows (al-naamisah) and the one who has it done (al-mutanammisah), and the one who files her teeth for the purpose of beauty, altering the creation of Allaah.”

so men most grow a beard? is that a must?
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.