/* */

PDA

View Full Version : "The 3 Types of Men" mentioned by Ibn Taimiyyah (rahimahullaah)

MinAhlilHadeeth
11-19-2007, 01:43 PM
"The 3 Types of Men" mentioned by Ibn Taimiyyah (rahimahullaah)

In chapter 8 of his book "PUBLIC DUTIES IN ISLAAM - The Institution of the Hisba", Shaykh-ul-Islaam says:

"We find that people fall into three categories"

FIRST TYPE

Those who live entirely by their own capricious whims, who are content only with what they receive and angry only at what they are denied, so that when any of them get what he craves - be it lawful or unlawful - his anger departs and gives way to satisfaction. The thing he was denied - so that he wanted it banned and made punishable, and was angrily critical of those who had it - now meets with his approval. he actively participates in it, supports it and opposes those who prohibit and reject it. this is a prevalent human tendency; we see and hear of innumerable instances. The reason for it is that man is very wrongful, very ignorant and therefore does not act fairly. You notice how some people critizie the governor for his injustice and hostility towards his subjects, but then he does something to please those critics and they turn into his supporters. The best thing for them would be not to voice their criticism. Similarly, you notice how they criticize those who drink wine, commit illicit sexual acts and listen to musical entertainments, until one of them is let in on the act, whereupon you see that he becomes a supporter of those he used to criticize. The latter may get worse as a result of their criticism, improve slightly or remain just the same.

SECOND TYPE

Those who live according to sound religious principles, sincere in their devotion to Allaah and correct in their behaviour, patiently upright in the face of what they have to suffer. These are the people who truly believe and do good works. They belong to the best Community brought forth by mankind, commanding what is proper and forbidding the improper and having true faith in Allaah.

THIRD TYPE

Those in whom both of the above co-exist. These constitute the majority of the believers. The will to obedience and the will to rebellion are both present in the hearts of those who have within them both religious faith and the lusts of the flesh. Sometimes the one, sometimes the other, has the upper hand.

And then, commenting on the second type mentioned above, the Shaykh (rahimahullaah) brought the Aayaat:

Al-Fajr (89):27-30
يَا أَيَّتُهَا النَّفْسُ الْمُطْمَئِنَّةُ ¤ ارْجِعِي إِلَى رَبِّكِ رَاضِيَةً مَّرْضِيَّةً ¤ فَادْخُلِي فِي عِبَادِي ¤ وَادْخُلِي جَنَّتِي ¤
(It will be said to the pious): "O (you) the one in (complete) rest and satisfaction! "Come back to your Lord, Well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing unto Him! "Enter you, then, among My honoured slaves, "And enter you My Paradise!"

Source

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
------
11-19-2007, 01:47 PM
:salamext:

"Come back to your Lord, Well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing unto Him! "Enter you, then, among My honoured slaves, "And enter you My Paradise!"
:'( Subhaan Allaah :'(

islamirama
11-19-2007, 02:53 PM
An alim once said...

"I have four kinds of days:

(1) A day when I go out and meet someone more knowledgeable than me, so I learn from him, and that is the day of my benefit and profit.

(2) A day when I go out and meet someone less knowledgeable than me, so I teach him, and that the day of my reward.

(3) A day when I go out and meet someone like me and I study and review with him, and that is the day of my lesson.

(4) A day when I go out and meet someone below my level but he sees himself as being above my level, so I don't talk to him, and I make that the day for my rest."

ummAbdillah
11-19-2007, 09:05 PM
:sl:
JazakillaAllah khayr for sharing sis.
An alim once said...

"I have four kinds of days:

(1) A day when I go out and meet someone more knowledgeable than me, so I learn from him, and that is the day of my benefit and profit.

(2) A day when I go out and meet someone less knowledgeable than me, so I teach him, and that the day of my reward.

(3) A day when I go out and meet someone like me and I study and review with him, and that is the day of my lesson.

(4) A day when I go out and meet someone below my level but he sees himself as being above my level, so I don't talk to him, and I make that the day for my rest."
what was the name of this Alim? :w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
11-19-2007, 10:50 PM
mashaAllaah

this thread has been both bumped and subscribed!

assalamu alaikum

FaisalQassim
11-20-2007, 07:25 AM
I'd like to buy this book, what do you think of it so far. Also, do you know of any other Ibn Taymiyah or Ibn Qayyim books that you would recommend?

IbnAbdulHakim
11-20-2007, 09:37 AM
Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullaah

mashaAllaah i have finally read it all, this may be assumption but i think most people fall into the third category, im talking about the majority of humans on this dunya. However most of the west fall into the first category, and sadly i dont think most muslims will even fall into the second category (myself included), wal 'audhubillah...

islamirama
11-20-2007, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Aisha
:sl:
JazakillaAllah khayr for sharing sis.

what was the name of this Alim? :w:
:w:

i didn't bother to write down the name, so i don't know who i said it. I had it for a while.

ps. look on the left, under my name. Do you see bro or sis?

ummAbdillah
11-20-2007, 06:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
:w:

i didn't bother to write down the name, so i don't know who i said it. I had it for a while.

ps. look on the left, under my name. Do you see bro or sis?
i was saying Jazakillah khayr to sister Faizah,
sorry about the misunderstanding & Jazakallah khayr for sharing the quote.

islamirama
11-20-2007, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Aisha
i was saying Jazakillah khayr to sister Faizah,
sorry about the misunderstanding & Jazakallah khayr for sharing the quote.
khair, inshallah its all good :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.