/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jerusalem

Ummu Sufyaan
11-28-2007, 02:40 AM
:sl:
is it true that this word is half hebew, half arabic. apparently 'jeru' means peace in hebrew:?
can anyone verify this.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
NoName55
11-28-2007, 03:24 AM
'jeru' means peace
never knew that!

I thought Jews called the City Yerushaláyim or Yerushalaim in Hebrew. in Arabic I thought it was called al-Quds

if anything, it should be the end part which should mean peace
The Talmud says Jerusalem was named by God. The name has two parts: Yira, which means "to see," and shalem, which means "peace."

Ummu Sufyaan
11-28-2007, 03:29 AM
:w:
sorry, i was meant to say that 'jeru' is the habrew equvalent of the arabic 'daar' i.e house. so, 'house (place) of peace'

NoName55
11-28-2007, 07:34 AM
Yira: to see
shalem: peace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem

Although the precise origin of the Hebrew name for Jerusalem, Yerushalayim remains uncertain, scholars have come up with a variety of interpretations. Some say it means "legacy of peace" — a portmanteau of yerusha (legacy) and shalom (peace). "Shalom" is a cognate of the Hebrew name "Shlomo," i.e., King Solomon," the builder of the First Temple.[15][16] Alternatively, the second part of the portmanteau could be Salem (Shalem literally "whole" or "in harmony"), an early name for Jerusalem[17] that appears in the Book of Genesis.[18] Others cite the Amarna letters, where the Akkadian name of the city appears as Urušalim, a cognate of the Hebrew Ir Shalem. Some believe there is a connection to Shalim, the beneficent deity known from Ugaritic myths as the personification of dusk.[19]

A Midrashic interpretation in Genesis Rabba explains that Abraham came to the city that was then called Shalem after rescuing Lot.[20] Upon arrival, he asked the king and high priest Melchizedek to bless him, and Melchizedek did so in the name of God (indicating that he, like Abraham, was a monotheist). This encounter between Melchizedek and Abraham was commemorated by renaming the city in their honor: the name Yeru (derived from Yireh, the name Abraham gave to the Temple Mount) was combined with Shalem,[20] producing Yeru-Shalem, meaning the "city of Shalem," or "founded by Shalem." If shalem means "complete," or "without defect, " Yerushalayim would mean the "perfect city," or "the city of he who is perfect".[21] The ending -im indicates the plural in Hebrew grammar and -ayim the dual, leading to an interpretation of the name as representing two facets of the city, such as two hills.[22][23] The pronunciation of the last syllable as -ayim appears to be a late development, which had not yet appeared at the time of the Septuagint.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sister herb
11-28-2007, 07:55 AM
יְרוּשָׁלַיִם - Yerushalayim

I studied hebrew about 20 years ago but unfortunately I have forgot most of it. Wikipedia :) says for example about this matter:

Other explanation for this word (Yerushalayim) would to be "legacy of peace", yerusha (legacy) and shalom (peace). Hebrew word peace, shalom, comes from name Shlomo, king Solomon, who built the first Temple. Second part might also comes from other hebrew name of this city as Shalem or Salem, literally "whole" or "in harmony". Here is also many other explanation where this name might comes from as if "shalem" means "complete," or "without defect, " Yerushalayim would mean the "perfect city," or "the city of he who is perfect".

It is difficult to say, is word shalom or salaam originally arabic or is it comes from some earlier language as aramaic language etc.

p.s. here might have some better explanations too to this matter...

snakelegs
11-28-2007, 10:43 AM
interesting question. i have some knowledge of hebrew, yet i do not know the actual meaning of jerusalem, and my hebrew dictionary is no help.
i guess for now we have to make do with wiki.

thirdwatch512
12-05-2007, 10:30 PM
i believe that jerusalem in arabic is dar salaam, right?

jerusalem means "legacy of peace" i believe, as others have mentioned!

but i do not think it comes from any arabic! but idk for sure!

Ummu Sufyaan
12-06-2007, 05:11 AM
as far as i know, it is al-quds.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.