/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chimps out perform humans on a memory test.

root
12-03-2007, 09:25 PM
Young chimps can beat adult humans in a task involving remembering numbers, reveals a new study. It is the first time chimps – and young ones, at that – have outperformed humans at a cognitive task.

And the finding may add weight to a theory about the evolution of language in humans, say the researchers.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nTgeLEWr614

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
czgibson
12-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Greetings,

I saw this too, and I was about to start a thread about it when I saw yours.

Watch the video, folks - it's amazing!

It seems humans aren't that special after all...

It reminds me of a Douglas Adams quote about dolphins:

format_quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much... the wheel, New York, wars, and so on, whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely the dolphins believed themselves to be more intelligent than man for precisely the same reasons.
Peace

Whatsthepoint
12-04-2007, 02:51 PM

islamirama
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
There is no doubt that animal's have intelligence to some level or other. The uniqueness of humans is that they have logical thought process with reasoning skills. Some other animals may it as well but to a limited degree. Humans have the ability to rise the level of angels or to sink to the lowest of animal thru their behavior and actions. Evolution and theories got nothing to do with it. It's a matter of choice.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HunterMan
12-04-2007, 03:05 PM
:sl:

Before we accept as fact that baby chimps are smarter then us all, you have to take in consideration all the variables in that study, like were the chimps pre-trained in number remembering exercises or how familiar were the humans were with such an exercise, and how smart were the human subjects, I mean now a days all people do is watch t.v. surf the net and live like zombies, the Human mind is pathetically uncultivated. And why did they use baby chimps, do all adult chimps get dumb as they age? Even human children have more focus in certain cognitive activities compared to adults, no, too many variables to conclude that animals are smarter then humans.

Enjoy your superior brain and have a nice day inshallah, Bye

czgibson
12-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Greetings,
format_quote Originally Posted by HunterMan

Before we accept as fact that baby chimps are smarter then us all,
I don't think anyone's seriously suggesting that, are they? The chimps have just beaten us in one cognitive test - we can beat them in lots of others!

And why did they use baby chimps, do all adult chimps get dumb as they age?
According to the research, they lose this memory ability, yes. An adult human can beat an adult chimp on this test.

Peace

Trumble
12-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I think the most important thing here in the long run is that we also (probably) have these skills, but lose them.. the suggested reason being that the development of language as a cognitive tool (as opposed merely to a means of communicating concepts to others) made them less useful. That suggests that with the right training we could maybe all regain those skills or, if started early enough, never lose them in the first place.

HunterMan
12-04-2007, 09:01 PM

I agree, the point should not be about comparing interspecies intelligence which seems to be what the only thing most media outlets solely mention. The real point that should be made is that misuse or lack of use of the brain form any species results in its decline.

Fishman
12-04-2007, 09:12 PM

I agree, the point should not be about comparing interspecies intelligence which seems to be what the only thing most media outlets solely mention. The real point that should be made is that misuse or lack of use of the brain form any species results in its decline.
Nuclear bombs may be a prime example of this, the mentality of 'if you annoy me, I'm taking the whole world out with me' is not exactly the smartest thing to do.
:w:

chosen
12-04-2007, 09:25 PM
I find it very difficult to believe that a chimp has a better...what I forgot what do chimps do better than humans????:uhwhat:hmm:

syilla
12-05-2007, 06:45 AM
:salamext:

i remember that they made the chimp answer objective questions on one of the students exam paper.

And the chimp passed the paper.

i was wondering why is it so easy for the students to fail objective questions. :? :X

barney
12-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Well one managed to make it to the Whitehouse! :)

ranma1/2
12-05-2007, 10:12 AM

Before we accept as fact that baby chimps are smarter then us all, you have to take in consideration all the variables in that study, like were the chimps pre-trained in number remembering exercises or how familiar were the humans were with such an exercise, and how smart were the human subjects, I mean now a days all people do is watch t.v. surf the net and live like zombies, the Human mind is pathetically uncultivated. And why did they use baby chimps, do all adult chimps get dumb as they age? Even human children have more focus in certain cognitive activities compared to adults, no, too many variables to conclude that animals are smarter then humans.

Enjoy your superior brain and have a nice day inshallah, Bye
I think its more of that they have less on their minds. More like being savants.

sadia faisal
12-05-2007, 03:54 PM
hmm...a chimp may have outsmarted a human at a memory test, but they still pick each others nits and eat them!!!!! lol

ranma1/2
12-05-2007, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salam4life
hmm...a chimp may have outsmarted a human at a memory test, but they still pick each others nits and eat them!!!!! lol
waste not want not.

Eric H
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by barney
Well one managed to make it to the Whitehouse! :)
That is outrageous, how dare you insult chimps.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.