/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Why pick an arab name?

Belief_is_Power
12-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Salam

Brothers and sisters, I have been muslim for about five years now and everytime I meet other muslims, (new or born into Islam), they ask me my name and I give them my original name that my mother gave me. Then they ask me my muslim name. I feel a bit offended because I believe that Allah does not care about ones name as long as his slave is a good muslim. Besides a "muslim name" is in arabic so it is really an arab name. Lets face it, any muslim name is arabic (which is fine) but my mother named me something else and I am a good muslim regardless. salam.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
12-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Salamualikum.
Brother im a revert to Islam and i had if your name doesn't have a good meaning then you have to change the name. I changed my name because i wanted to. Although my homies don't call me my Muslim name rather call me my previous Non-Muslim name or my nick name.

You need to remember you can't keep a non-Muslim name if the meaning isn't good.

Allaah knows best.

Ma'assalama

Abida
12-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Alhamdulillah, ure a muslim, and youre with your heart, but u cant keep the nonmuslim name because nobody cant know ure a muslim.. every religion has its names and international names.. its just like that.. think about it.. there are beautiful names u would like to have..
may Allah gave u all the best. Ameen
:sl:

Kittygyal
12-08-2007, 04:07 PM
Salamualikum.

nobody cant know ure a muslim
^ It's not matter of the fact of other people knowing your a Muslim or not but the fact is it needs to have a good meaning and not many Non-Muslim names i know have a great meaning which is acceptable in Islam. Thats the first reason why i changed my name because of meaning.
You need to realise arabic is Allaah's language ie: (Qura'an), Alhamdulilah there's really nice arabic Muslim male names which have a beautiful meaning to. Also wouldn't you feel part of the Ummaah with a Muslim name?, I do for sure.

Ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Abida
12-08-2007, 04:17 PM
thanks for correcting. I didnt think thats the main reason, but its the one of many. Allah swt says that our parents will be asked about names they give us. Think about it.. Im sure there is one for you. That are names for muslims which you are...

Belief_is_Power
12-08-2007, 04:25 PM
I do agree that their are many nice male muslim names. However I feel part of the Ummah when I pray, greet other muslims, and read quran. My name is from the Bible and it is from a jewish prophet. I am proud of my name but if others change theirs well...... more power to them. salam.

Al-Zaara
12-08-2007, 04:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Belief_is_Power
Salam

Brothers and sisters, I have been muslim for about five years now and everytime I meet other muslims, (new or born into Islam), they ask me my name and I give them my original name that my mother gave me. Then they ask me my muslim name. I feel a bit offended because I believe that Allah does not care about ones name as long as his slave is a good muslim. Besides a "muslim name" is in arabic so it is really an arab name. Lets face it, any muslim name is arabic (which is fine) but my mother named me something else and I am a good muslim regardless. salam.
Aleykum selam,

My name ain't Arabic. It's roots are from Hebrew, mainly Turkish. But it has a good meaning and isn't against Islam or Islamically forbbiden. But note, it's prefered that you kinda connect yourself to the rest of the Muslims. If your name is like George, you can keep it, yet Christian, is a no no.

Abida
12-08-2007, 04:31 PM
I think youll be very pleased when you read muslim names,you will like it, and sure take one of them for you insAllah...
I didnt like my name before, but now im verry happy and proud to have a good muslim name with its good meaning..
hope i helped you:D

Kittygyal
12-08-2007, 04:39 PM
I do agree that their are many nice male muslim names. However I feel part of the Ummah when I pray, greet other muslims, and read quran. My name is from the Bible and it is from a jewish prophet. I am proud of my name but if others change theirs well...... more power to them. salam.
Salamualikum.
May i ask whats the name and the meaning?. If it doesn't have a meaning which is kinda bad in Islam then it's okay.

Allaah hu Alim.
Ma'assalama

aadil77
12-08-2007, 04:44 PM

brother may I ask what is your name? maybe if is a prophets name then it will probaly have an arabic name to it aswell, eg: david = dawood, aaron= harun, adam the is the same, jacob = yaqub, joseph = yusuf, etc.. if you get what I mean

Belief_is_Power
12-08-2007, 05:01 PM
It is Daniel. I am not sure if it has an arabic counterpart but it is hebrew from the Jews. The Book of Daniel is in the Bible, and this Jewish prophet who wrote it has that name. Thanks for asking though, I really do appreciate all of your comments. I will look into some arabic names, however I dont know if i can just change my name like over night. Salam

Kittygyal
12-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Salamualikum.
^ Lol, you can't change your name just over night, it's not simple brother.I wish it was.
Ma'assalama

Al-Zaara
12-08-2007, 05:04 PM
It is Daniel. I am not sure if it has an arabic counterpart but it is hebrew from the Jews. The Book of Daniel is in the Bible, and this Jewish prophet who wrote it has that name. Thanks for asking though, I really do appreciate all of your comments. I will look into some arabic names, however I dont know if i can just change my name like over night. Salam
Your name is beautiful! And there is a prophet Daniel in Islam too! Danyel I think it's written like. I see no reason for you to change, to be honest.

Al-Zaara
12-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Check this thread: http://www.islamicboard.com/prophets...al-daniel.html

aadil77
12-08-2007, 05:06 PM
in that case your name should stay the same brother:shade:, as daniel is a prophets name but i think in arabic its pronounced danial

look here http://path-to-peace.net/misc/prophets.html for a bit about him

btw , hope that makes you feel better, you don't need to change your name!

Belief_is_Power
12-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Alhumdulillah, may Allah reward you for helping another muslim out with more knowledge. I will have to look into it more.

aadil77
12-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Alhumdulillah, may Allah reward you for helping another muslim out with more knowledge. I will have to look into it more.
no problem bro, we're always here to help:D

UmmSqueakster
12-08-2007, 05:10 PM

Why change your name? The Prophet (saws) changed the names of people who had names that had negative or unislamic meanings - ie if someone was named Stupid, his name should be changed to Smart, or if the name was Slave of Jesus, it would be changed to Slave of God.

What was Muhammad's (saws) name before he received revelation? What was Khadija's (ra) name?

My name is Jennifer. It's the name my parents gave me. They chose it, and by keeping it I respect and honor them. It also shows people that one can be a muslim even if they're a white bread, midwestern gal, that Islam isn't a religion of a particular race or restricted to a specific part of the world. Becoming muslim doesn't mean one has to become arab. Nope, haven't changed my name yet, and I'm not going to. :D

MustafaMc
12-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I reverted to Islam almost 26 years ago, but I only changed my name 3 years ago. It is not a requirement to change one's name upon reversion unless it is a bad one. Personally, I wanted to be known by everyone as a Muslim. I see it as an opportunity to witness to others about Islam.

Woodrow
12-08-2007, 05:58 PM
My legal name is Woodrow, it has been for over 67 years now. all of my previous records are in that name. It would be a physical hard ship to even attempt to cange every legal document that pertains to me in the name of Woodrow.

The name Woodrow has no negative connotation as the meaning of it can be. "Protector of the forest" or "Lives by the forest" both of which actually describe much of my life.

However, I do have an Islamic Name Abdullah Muhammad. I chose the Abdullah, the Imam suggested i also add Muhammad. It is my desire to do my best to live up to the meanings of both names. That is the name I use most of the time. although my name is not legaly changed there are no laws that prevent me from using it, as long as I do not use it fraudently or to mislead people. I do have to use Woodrow on all legal contracts, but that is no inconvenience and relates only to State laws. I use woodrow as my ID. As it makes it easier for people I know and I ask to visit the forum.

Plus, I like the look of surprise on peoples faces when they discover somebody named Woodrow is Muslim. I do not fit their preconceived stereotypes, it does open doors for conversation.

AbuZarqaa
12-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Allah has named the followers of His religion "Muslims" not only in the Qur'an but also in Books that He had revealed to previous Prophets.Note also the following verse which states that Prophet Noah, who lived long before Prophet Abraham, told his people that Allah ordered him to be "one of the Muslims":
"But if you [O people!] turn away [from my call], I have not asked you for any reward; my reward is only with Allah, and I have been commanded to be one of al-Muslimin (the Muslims)" (10.72).
So all the prophet are Muslims none are jewish or christians.
If the name is forbidden in Islam. For example, if the name implies worshipping other than Allah like Abdush-Shams (slave of the sun), Abdun-Nabi (slave of the Prophet), Abdul-Maseeh (slave of the Christ), etc. Also, if the name symbolizes idols like Naelah, Hubal or Buddha, then it must be changed immediately if the name is typical of the non-believers like Botros, John, Diana, Suzanne or Victoria, then a Muslim should stay away from these names If the name praises oneself, as in the case of Barrah (pious), the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, changed it to Zainab and said, "Do not praise yourself. Allah knows the pious ones more than you do." (Muslim)
If the name has a bad meaning like the names of animals such as Faar (mouse), Kalb (dog), Hanash (snake). Or pronounced badly in another language such as Tom (many pronounce it Toom, which sounds like garlic in Arabic). If the non-Muslim name is like one of the above then it must be changed to a good Muslim name, one that is desirable in Islam. For example Abdurrahman, Abdullah, any of the Prophets' names, the companions names, the wives of the Prophet, allallahu alayhe wa sallam, or his daughters. It should be taken into consideration that only the first name is changed and not the father's name in any case.

snakelegs
12-08-2007, 10:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Plus, I like the look of surprise on peoples faces when they discover somebody named Woodrow is Muslim. I do not fit their preconceived stereotypes, it does open doors for conversation.
quite true!! ;D who thinks "muslim" when you hear the name "woodrow"?

Whatsthepoint
12-08-2007, 11:05 PM
If someone's got an unislamic name, do they have to change it to an Arabic Islamic name or to any Islamic name (Daniel, Aaron..)?

Strzelecki
12-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Belief_is_power: I am a revert and I am also named Daniel. Our name, as I have been told and from all the research I have done is indeed and Islamic name, as posted earlier. Alhamdulillah.
Whenever anyone asks me what my name is, I'll tell them Daniel [naturally]. And then if they proceed to ask me for my Islamic name I will repeat "Daniel". [Yeah, I think I'm hilarious.]

Woodrow
12-09-2007, 02:46 PM
In this shrinking world it is getting to be difficult to identify a Muslim by name alone. Not all people named after Prophets(PBUT) or with Arabic names are Muslim. In fact there are several non- Muslim faiths that often do use Islamic names.

It is wonderful to choose an Islamic name when one reverts. However, I feel the name should be chosen with care and should be a name you desire to live up to the meaning of.

To change a name after reverting is a personal choice and need not be done unless a persons current name is anti-Islamic.

I suspect that a thousand years from now, some writings of pious Muslims will be of Muslims with non-Arabic names. Yet, they may very well be names that future generations will associate with Service to Allaah(swt) and piety.

The question is does the name make the Muslim Islamic, or does the Muslim make the name Islamic?

crayon
12-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I think the main reason converts change their name is for a "fresh start", if that makes sense. Starting over, and the new name is just a part of that.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping your own name though, as long as it doesn't contain kufr or anything against islam, and Daniel doesn't, then it's perfectly fine.

Salam.

Daffodil
12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by buriedaway_4536
Belief_is_power: I am a revert and I am also named Daniel. Our name, as I have been told and from all the research I have done is indeed and Islamic name, as posted earlier. Alhamdulillah.
Whenever anyone asks me what my name is, I'll tell them Daniel [naturally]. And then if they proceed to ask me for my Islamic name I will repeat "Daniel". [Yeah, I think I'm hilarious.]
Asalamualaykum Wr Wb

Daniel is pronounce differently in arabic, it is Dhanyaal. Daniel and Dhanyaal are totatly different.

axess1907
12-11-2007, 06:41 PM
hi!

Dont pick an arab name just because your muslim now. I am muslim also but I dont have an arab name :D And I am not the only one.. But you can use names like Mehmet, Ahmet, etc. These are turkish names which have a religious meaning. My name for example does not have a islamic meaning but I dont care I like my name and I am Muslim. What I want to say is, that you dont need an Arabic name just because ya muslim. I mean its not a must be.

Esther462
12-11-2007, 08:04 PM
I didn't change my name to arab name when I converted to Islam as I like my name and it's a biblical name and I think it's beautiful and it would just confuse everyone if I change my name, mainly my family as they are not Muslims.

Al-Zaara
12-11-2007, 09:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by axess1907
hi!

Dont pick an arab name just because your muslim now. I am muslim also but I dont have an arab name :D And I am not the only one.. But you can use names like Mehmet, Ahmet, etc. These are turkish names which have a religious meaning. My name for example does not have a islamic meaning but I dont care I like my name and I am Muslim. What I want to say is, that you dont need an Arabic name just because ya muslim. I mean its not a must be.
Mehmet is really a beautiful name, mashaAllah.

axess1907
12-11-2007, 10:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
I didn't change my name to arab name when I converted to Islam as I like my name and it's a biblical name and I think it's beautiful and it would just confuse everyone if I change my name, mainly my family as they are not Muslims.
You did the right thing. Doesnt matter if your name if biblical or a jewish name the fact is that you are muslim now the name isnt important because you wasnt born as a muslim.

@Al-Zaara: Yep there are a lot of names like Mehmet in Turkey which have a islamic meaning. Ehmm i dont know if they are that religious but here are some names: Ahmet, Mehmet, Muhammed (male)
Hayrunnisa, Nur, Arzu (Female)

Umm Yoosuf
12-12-2007, 01:29 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah,

Don’t mind people. Sometimes you come across people who never meant reverts or except everyone to have an Arabic name. You do come across the few ignorant people. So long as your name is not unislamic (in which case it isn't) Alhamdulilaah khayr.

syilla
12-12-2007, 01:38 AM
:salamext:

you have to remember that...not all arabic names are islamic.

Even some of the born muslim have unislamic meaning without realising it.

wassallam.

Woodrow
12-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Also not all people with Islamic names are Muslim. Today I met a non Muslim named Muhammad. I suspect they are more. Some of the minority race groups give their children names that they do not see associated with Caucasians. The fad at the moment seems to be Arabic or Japanese names. There are also Arabic people that are not Muslim and often they will have Islamic names. So the best guide line is there is no need to change a name unless it is anti-Islamic.

crayon
12-12-2007, 12:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
:salamext:

you have to remember that...not all arabic names are islamic.

Even some of the born muslim have unislamic meaning without realising it.

wassallam.
Very true.
I know several girls called "Diana", which in mythology is the name of a Roman goddess.

Salam.

Andrew
12-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Just out of interest, is there an arabic equivalent of Andrew?

crayon
12-17-2007, 01:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andrew
I don't think so, Andrew, no.

Muezzin
12-17-2007, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
Your name is beautiful! And there is a prophet Daniel in Islam too! Danyel I think it's written like. I see no reason for you to change, to be honest.
Same here. Just tell them to pronouce it 'Daanyel' if it makes 'em feel better. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Andrew
If you take the meaning of 'Andrew' to be simply a derivation of 'man', then the Arabic names Aariz, Wasif, Akhtar and Amir have similar kinds of meanings. There's no equivalent for the apostle Andrew though. Or at least none that I'm aware of.

Woodrow
12-17-2007, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Same here. Just tell them to pronouce it 'Daanyel' if it makes 'em feel better. :)

If you take the meaning of 'Andrew' to be simply a derivation of 'man', then the Arabic names Aariz, Wasif, Akhtar and Amir have similar kinds of meanings. There's no equivalent for the apostle Andrew though. Or at least none that I'm aware of.
The name Andrew was not used as an Apostles name until the first printing of the KJV. Prior to that the most common was the the Greek version. Andros. We probably will never know the actual Aramaic Name he would have had. but, because of the close relationship between Aramaic and Arabic it would have been very similar if not identical to one of the Arabic variations.

It can also carry the connontation of anonymous as to call somebody :
"of a man" does not necessarily mean any specific person, just simply a man.

ANDREW

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: AN-droo [key]
From the Greek name Ανδρεας (Andreas), which derives from ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros) "of a man"). In the New Testament the apostle Andrew was the brother of the apostle Simon Peter. According to legend he was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and he is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia, Greece and Romania. This was also the name of kings of Hungary.

Andrew
12-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Wow thanks for that guys especially Woodrow, it was interesting to know (I've never known of my name as anything but just that!).

caroline
12-18-2007, 07:58 PM
I've been starting to wonder about this too. I am a little nervous because it's going to be weird enough being a white, green-eyed Irish/Native American in a hijab. Then I'm going to have an Arabic name?

Are there any names similar to Caroline? Caroline comes from Charles and means "strong one." I was named after my father...

UmmSqueakster
12-18-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm a white girl in hijab named Jennifer. Nothing wrong with that, and no requirement to change your name, unless it means something negative or anti-islam :D

Belief_is_Power
12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
^^right on sis.

Jayda
12-18-2007, 10:02 PM
i like the names Aaliyah and Aasiyah, i think those are pretty names.

Muezzin
12-19-2007, 06:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by caroline
I've been starting to wonder about this too. I am a little nervous because it's going to be weird enough being a white, green-eyed Irish/Native American in a hijab. Then I'm going to have an Arabic name?
Only if you want one. :)

Are there any names similar to Caroline? Caroline comes from Charles and means "strong one." I was named after my father...
Sounds fine to me.

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Assalam o Allikum
i actually did change my name from Emily to Ayesha, i felt it more as a new start when i converted and i feel more comfortable living as Ayesha, sorta like leaving my past life as Emily ( and my past was very traumatic ) behind, it helped me move on too..
Allthought my mother and brothers completely accept i have ambraced islam.. they still call me by my brith name.. but then.. thats what they know me as.. i also believe that regardless of my name change .. its my mothers right to call me by the name she gave me and i have no objection to her doing so.. but it is kinda weird tho.. if she is talkign to my husband she refers to me as Ayesha.. but when directly speaking to me its Emily.. anyhows.. i mearly changed my name as a means to 'start afresh' and wanted an islamic name

MustafaMc
12-20-2007, 05:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯)
.. they still call me by my brith name.. but then.. thats what they know me as.. i also believe that regardless of my name change ..
Yes, it is the same way with me. I actually changed my name after my Christian parents died, but my brother and sister still call me by my birth name. I doesn't bother me and I don't intend on insisting that they call me "Mustafa". At work they were also reluctant to change, but now they call me either Mustafa or "Doc".

adeeb
12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
name is a sign.

several names that Allah and His prophet love like Abdullah and Abdurrahman.

to show your islamic identity, i think u have to have islamic name... coz some western name have meaning that not allowed in islam and we have to be different with the non muslim.

you can start to look for name that suite you and u like most, example; name of prophet or sahaba and sahabiat of rasool.

if u dont want to, and ure birth name has good meaning that not against islamic rule...that will be fine..

islam_kurdi
12-25-2007, 05:05 AM
You dont have to change your name unless it has a bad meaning or something. Otherwise you're not obligated to change it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.