/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shouldn't there be a Wikipedia-style website dedicated to Islam by now?

omar_2133
12-08-2007, 10:09 PM
:sl:

It is quite easy nowadays to obtain a website with media-Wiki technology (the same software that runs Wikipedia), containing information on Christianity and other religions, but I have recently been searching the Internet, and I've not found a single such Islamic website anywhere.

And most shockingly, the only website that I did find with MediaWiki was an anti-Islamic website, which a large number of people would gain easier access to, if they were trying to find out an independent Islamic Wiki.

What's more this is a great method to reach out to a mass audience of both Muslims and non-Muslims alike, and spread the awareness and message of Islam. I've just found out now that it's free to create your own Wikipedia style website, with all the features of Wikipedia, except the name of course which you can change, by simply downloading the software behind it, called MediaWiki.

Here is the download link:

Shouldn't we be making the most of this opportunity to not only give ordinary people, a better understanding of Islam that is free of prejudices, but strive for Allah.

:w:

Omar_2133

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhammad
12-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Thread approved.

Muhminah123
12-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Interesting idea.

But I would be afraid that deviant Muslims would contribute erroneous information/ideas about Islam and it would in turn misguide people. Wouldn't you think?

format_quote Originally Posted by omar_2133
:sl:

It is quite easy nowadays to obtain a website with media-Wiki technology (the same software that runs Wikipedia), containing information on Christianity and other religions, but I have recently been searching the Internet, and I've not found a single such Islamic website anywhere.

And most shockingly, the only website that I did find with MediaWiki was an anti-Islamic website, which a large number of people would gain easier access to, if they were trying to find out an independent Islamic Wiki.

What's more this is a great method to reach out to a mass audience of both Muslims and non-Muslims alike, and spread the awareness and message of Islam. I've just found out now that it's free to create your own Wikipedia style website, with all the features of Wikipedia, except the name of course which you can change, by simply downloading the software behind it, called MediaWiki.

Here is the download link:

Shouldn't we be making the most of this opportunity to not only give ordinary people, a better understanding of Islam that is free of prejudices, but strive for Allah.

:w:

Omar_2133

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.