:sl:

3. قد ذهب
He has gone

there is nothing called in Arabic present perfect

قد ذهب
means, he went

:w:
According to W.Wright volume ii page 4 ,قد is also used لتقريب الماضي من الحال .
In Alqawaid by Abdul Ghani Dakker ,under قد it is written;
(2) تَقرِيبُ الماضي من الحالِ تقولُ: "أَقبَلَ العالمُ" فيحتمل المَاضِي القَريب والبَعيد، فإذا قلتَ: "قَدْ أقبَلَ" اختَصَّ بالقَرِيبِ
By the way that is the reason I avoided different terms like "past indefinite' past perfect' peresent perfect 'etc.
So قد ذهب can be translated as "He has gone".

Imam
12-09-2007, 07:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz
According to W.Wright volume ii page 4 ,قد is also used لتقريب الماضي من الحال .
In Alqawaid by Abdul Ghani Dakker ,under قد it is written;
(2) تَقرِيبُ الماضي من الحالِ تقولُ: "أَقبَلَ العالمُ" فيحتمل المَاضِي القَريب والبَعيد، فإذا قلتَ: "قَدْ أقبَلَ" اختَصَّ بالقَرِيبِ
By the way that is the reason I avoided different terms like "past indefinite' past perfect' peresent perfect 'etc.
So قد ذهب can be translated as "He has gone".

1- we can't say that putting the word قَدْ before the past verb ,automatically shorten the time span to the present.......

eg,
الشعب حقاً قد انتصر
(The nation won ,indeed)

adding قَدْ doesn't narrow the time span to the present for the listener .

it just affirms the action......

2-in some cases (kad) could be used with the past verb to show the approach of something

قد قامت الصلاة
(the prayer is about to be done)

3- sometimes used with a past verb that happened and was expected to happen

eg,
قد سمع الله قول التي تجادلك في زوجها
and
قد افلح المؤمنون

but that doesn't occure always

eg; قالوا يا مريم لقد جئت شيئا فريا

4- it is used with the past (EXPECTED TO HAPPEN)verb to narrow the time span to the present....قَدْ أقبَلَ

5- It refers to past perfect ,if the context with another past simple tense ..

I wrote such details to show you how it is unsafe to just put (kad) قد before any past and in any context and claims it is automatically means
one meaning..

keep up the good work

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
asadxyz
12-09-2007, 08:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imam

1- we can't say that putting the word قَدْ before the past verb ,automatically shorten the time span to the present.......

eg,
الشعب حقاً قد انتصر
(The nation won ,indeed)

adding قَدْ doesn't narrow the time span to the present for the listener .

it just affirms the action......

2-in some cases (kad) could be used with the past verb to show the approach of something

قد قامت الصلاة
(the prayer is about to be done)

3- sometimes used with a past verb that happened and was expected to happen

eg,
قد سمع الله قول التي تجادلك في زوجها
and
قد افلح المؤمنون

but that doesn't occure always

eg; قالوا يا مريم لقد جئت شيئا فريا

4- it is used with the past (EXPECTED TO HAPPEN)verb to narrow the time span to the present....قَدْ أقبَلَ

5- It refers to past perfect ,if the context with another past simple tense ..

I wrote such details to show you how it is unsafe to just put (kad) قد before any past and in any context and claims it is automatically means
one meaning..

keep up the good work
Dear Imam:sl:
Actually you are concentrating on different uses of قد while I am trying to explain different forms of tenses.The use of قد for present perfect is "ONE OF USES and NOT THE ONLY USE.
E.G.
* قَدْ اسم الفِعلِ: هي مُرادِفَةٌ ليَكفي يُقال: "قَدْ خالداً دِرْهمٌ" و "قدْني دِرْهمٌ" كما يُقال: "يَكفِي خَالداً دِرْهَمٌ" .

* قَدْ الاسمِيَّة: هِيَ مُرَادِفةٌ لِـ "حَسب"، وهي على الأكثر مَبنِيَّةٌ على السُّكون، يُقال: "قَدْ زيدٍ دِرْهمٌ" و "قَدْنِي دِرْهمٌ" بنُونِ الوِقَايَةِ حِرْصاً على بَقاءِ السُّكُونِ، وقليلاً ما تَكون مُعرَبَةً يقال: "قَدُ زيدٍ درهَمٌ" بالرفع كما يقال: "حَسبُه دِرْهَمٌ" بغيرِ نون، كما يقال: حَسبي .

قَدْ الحَرْفِيّة: تَختَصُّ بالفِعلِ المُتَصَرَّفِ الخَبَري، المُثبَتِ، المُجَرَّدِ مِنْ ناصِبٍ، وجَازم وحَرفِ تنفيس، وهي معَه كالجزءِ، فلا تُفصَلُ مِنه بشيء إلاَّ بالقسم كقولِ الشّاعر:

أخالِدُ قَدْ - واللّهِ - أَوْطَأتَ عَشوَةً * وَمَا العَاشِقُ المِسكينُ فينا بسَارقٍ

وسُمِعَ: "قَدْ - وَاللّهِ - أَحسَنتَ" .

وقد يُضطَّر الشاعرُ فيقدمُ الاسمَ، وقد أوقَعَ الفعلَ على شيء من سَبَبِه، فليس للاسم المتقدِّمِ إلاَّ النصبُ وذلك نحو "قَدْ زيداً أضرِبُه" إذا اضطُّرشَاعِرٌ فَقَدَّم لم يَكُنْ إلاَّ النَّصب في زيد، لأَنَّه لا بُدَّ أَنْ يُضمَرَ الفِعلُ، لأَنَّ "قَدْ" مُختَصَّةٌ بالأَفعَال، ولو قُلتَ: "قد زَيداً أَضربُ" لم يَحسُن كما قال سيبويه .

ولِ"قَدْ" خَمسة مَعان:

* (1) التَّوقُّعُ، وهو مع المُضارعِ كقولك: "قَدْ يَقدُمُ الغَائِبُ اليومَ" وأمَّا مع المَاضي فَتدْخلُ منهُ على مَاضٍ مُتَوقَّعٍ، من ذلك قول المؤذِّنِ "قَدْ قَامَتِ الصَّلاةُ" لأنَّ الجماعَةَ مُنتَظرُونَ ذلك، وقدْ اجتَمَعَ في "قدْ قامَتِ الصَّلاةُ" ثلاثةُ مَعانٍ مُجتمعة: التَّحقِيق، والتَّوَقُع، والتَّقريب .

* (2) تَقرِيبُ الماضي من الحالِ تقولُ: "أَقبَلَ العالمُ" فيحتمل المَاضِي القَريب والبَعيد، فإذا قلتَ: "قَدْ أقبَلَ" اختَصَّ بالقَرِيبِ ويُبنَى على إفادتها ذلك: أنهالا تُدْخُلُ عَلى "لَيسَ وَعَسَى ونِعمَ وبئسَ" . لأنهنَّ للحالِ .

* (3) التَّقليلُ، وتَختَصُّ بالمضَارع نحو "قَدْ يَصدُقُ الكَذُوبُ"، وقَدْيكونُ التَّقليلُ، لمتَعَلِّقِهِ نحو قوله تعالى: {قَدْ يَعلَمُ مَا أنتُمْ عَلَيهِ} (الآية "64"من سورة النور "24" ) أيْ مَا هُمْ عَلَيه هوَ أَقل مَعلُوماتِهِ سُبحَانَه، والأولى أن تكون في الآية للتحقيق .

* (4) التَّكثِيرُ بمنزلة رُبَّما كقولِ الهُذَلي:

قَدْ أترُكُ القِرْنَ مُصفَراً أنَاملُهُ * كأنَّ أثوابَهُ مُجَّتْ بِفِرْصَادِ

(القرن: هو المقابل في الشجاعة، الفرصاد: التوت) ومنْ ذلكَ قوله تعالى: {قَدْ نَرَى تَقَلُّبَ وَجهِكَ في السَّماءِ (الآية "144"من سورة البقرة "2" ) .

* (5) التَّحقِيق، نحو قولِه تَعالى: {قَدْ أفلَحَ مَنْ زَكَّاهَا} (الآية "9" من سورة الشمس "91") ومنه {قد يَعلَمْ ما أَنتُم علَيه} (الآية "64"من سورة النور "24" ) فتدخلُ عَلى المَاضِي والمُضَارِعِ .
In fact I am trying to simplify different forms for beginners (like me) not the detailed discussion of diffferent particles.

Imam
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz
Dear Imam:sl:
Actually you are concentrating on different uses of قد while I am trying to explain different forms of tenses.The use of قد for present perfect is "ONE OF USES and NOT THE ONLY USE.
In fact I am trying to simplify different forms for beginners (like me) not the detailed discussion of diffferent particles.

dear Asad

I'm not concentrating on the the different uses of قد

all what I did was to highlight its use before the past verb,I was very specific..

why?

because the following form قد +past verb =present perfect
is rather misleading

cause such form could be used to

1-to affirms the past action.

2-to inform the listener of the approach of doing something.

3-to show that the past verb ,was expected.

4-with the past (EXPECTED TO HAPPEN)verb to narrow the time span to the present.

5-it refers to past perfect ,if the context with another past simple tense.

so what I was concerned is to let you know ,that adding قد to past verb doesn't mean it is a safe way to make the meaning similar to the English present perfect.

and that such limited ,rare use is verbally absent from the Spoken language...

actually in the spoken language the tenses as follows:

past simple

past contentious

present continuous

future simple

nothing more and nothing less...

I really find the discussion to be fun,cause it gives me experience on what may the non Arabic speaker will be interested to learn in Arabic and what are the points ,that could be tricky to him....

thanx for you discussion
and keep up the good work..

IbnAbdulHakim
12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
assalamu alaikum

i cant make out the arabic because its too small, if its no trouble please make it a bit bigger inshaAllaah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.