/* */

PDA

View Full Version : For Converts

truemuslim
12-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Assalamu Alaikum, I was wondering, how did you converts turn to islam? How did you find out about it? Thanks:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-13-2007, 06:57 PM
Assalam-o-Allikum
JazakAllahu Very good question :),
Allhumdulilah,
i am now aged 26 and began to follow the teachings of islam around february 2005, i also had many muslim friends on the internet and i started by asking them questions..
throughout my childhood and early adult years its had been filled with trauma and after 5 years of therapy i felt like something was 'missing' in my life, the more i learned of islam the more i began to love and appiciate life, from may 2005 i stopped eating pork and began following the teachings and started to apply them in my life... It was the cleanliness of living, of soul and mind that attracted me the most... tho it was hard for me as no one in my town ( approx pop 12000 ) was a muslim nor were there any mosques, befor my marriage in pakistan ( approx may2007 ) i was 'officially' declared a muslim by affidavit, all though i had allready began following islam and my heart belonged to islam,
islam masha'Allah has truely been a saviour to me and inshaAllah i learn something new everyday and try my best to apply all the teachings in everything i do.
:)

truemuslim
12-13-2007, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§hå‹&# 16 8;¯)
Assalam-o-Allikum
JazakAllahu Very good question :),
Allhumdulilah,
i am now aged 26 and began to follow the teachings of islam around february 2005, i also had many muslim friends on the internet and i started by asking them questions..
throughout my childhood and early adult years its had been filled with trauma and after 5 years of therapy i felt like something was 'missing' in my life, the more i learned of islam the more i began to love and appiciate life, from may 2005 i stopped eating pork and began following the teachings and started to apply them in my life... It was the cleanliness of living, of soul and mind that attracted me the most... tho it was hard for me as no one in my town ( approx pop 12000 ) was a muslim nor were there any mosques, befor my marriage in pakistan ( approx may2007 ) i was 'officially' declared a muslim by affidavit, all though i had allready began following islam and my heart belonged to islam,
islam masha'Allah has truely been a saviour to me and inshaAllah i learn something new everyday and try my best to apply all the teachings in everything i do.
:)
Mashallah, im glad allah has opened your heart to islam!:statisfie And now you can start from scratch, no sins since you convert to islam, keep your plate clean, inshallah. Alhamdulla.
:D

AlGhrnati
12-13-2007, 07:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
Assalamu Alaikum, I was wondering, how did you converts turn to islam? How did you find out about it? Thanks:D
AlHamdu Lilah,

I reverted 20 yrs ago; while reading the Quran for the first time. Three pages into it the hairs on my body rose in awe, as I recognised the voice from the Torah (Old Testament). My eyes overflowed with tears that wouldn't stop flowing. The burden of my sins, as numerous as mosquitoes in a swamp, were washed away with those tears of remorse and glorious faith.:cry:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
truemuslim
12-13-2007, 07:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AlGhrnati
AlHamdu Lilah,

I reverted 20 yrs ago; while reading the Quran for the first time. Three pages into it the hairs on my body rose in awe, as I recognised the voice from the Torah (Old Testament). My eyes overflowed with tears that wouldn't stop flowing. The burden of my sins, as numerous as mosquitoes in a swamp, were washed away with those tears of remorse and glorious faith.:cry:
Mashallah, I cry everytime I read the quraan... i read VEERRYY slowly in arabic, but I still do it... I wake up durin the fajr, pray then read quraan.

AlGhrnati
12-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Mashallah, I cry everytime I read the quraan... i read VEERRYY slowly in arabic, but I still do it... I wake up durin the fajr, pray then read quraan.
Salaam Aleikum True Muslim,

Same here; that's a great habit, hope you never break it. Do you understand everything you read and act on it too?:thankyou:

Esther462
12-14-2007, 09:38 PM
I started to be intreased in Islam after a program called the Retreat aired on the BBC. I started reading into the faith more and watch videos on YouTube. At that time I was questioning my faith in Christianty.:Crescent:

How I converted to Islam.

About 2 months ago, I looked up on how to convert to Islam on the internet and I found a web site that said I could convert in my own home, as the nearest Mosque is 1 hour drive away from me, on my own. I did it the next day and I felt great. I meet another Muslim who invited me to the Mosque which is an hour drive from my home and I said my convertion to the Imam and in fount of 2 witness and my convertion was made offisical. I feel really happy. :statisfie :Mosque:
The hard thing is telling my Christian friends and family that I'm Muslim and most of them are not excepting it which is making me unhappy imsad so I find it hard to get up early for dawn pray. I am reading my Qur'an in the evening between sun set and evening prayers.:Koran:

Kittygyal
12-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Assalmaualikum.

Already a thread on this subject, use search engine. I've posted mine there :)

Ma'assalama

morate
12-26-2007, 12:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Esther462
I did it the next day and I felt great. I meet another Muslim who invited me to the Mosque which is an hour drive from my home and I said my convertion to the Imam and in fount of 2 witness and my convertion was made offisical.
I have been reading and searching about Islam for several years now. I have been praying in my own home - but not the way I should. I have been trying to meet another Muslim, ah yes, to invite me to a mosque, there are several an hour or less away. I have not. And I am afraid to go alone. I am wanting some sense of community but I am paralyzed by my ignorance. There is so much I do not know and I have never been inside a mosque. My husband is not interested in going with me (and I feel I could benefit more from the guidance of a sister in these matters.) Also, I have children that are in need of being raised on the right path. I have prayed to meet someone who can help me through this obstacle but my prayers are not steady and my faith is desperate. Of course, I undertsand it is not obligatory for women to attend
mosque (?) and this complicates matters for me.

It sounds so easy, what you have written, and I am struggling so...
imsad

MKE Brother
12-28-2007, 04:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by morate
I have been reading and searching about Islam for several years now. I have been praying in my own home - but not the way I should. I have been trying to meet another Muslim, ah yes, to invite me to a mosque, there are several an hour or less away. I have not. And I am afraid to go alone. I have prayed to meet someone who can help me through this obstacle but my prayers are not steady and my faith is desperate. Of course, I undertsand it is not obligatory for women to attend
Call the mosque, explain the situation. I am sure they have an outreach coordinator who will be more than happy to get a very helpful person in touch with you and quell your fears.

I hope this helps.

Intisar
12-28-2007, 04:52 AM
I have been reading and searching about Islam for several years now. I have been praying in my own home - but not the way I should. I have been trying to meet another Muslim, ah yes, to invite me to a mosque, there are several an hour or less away. I have not. And I am afraid to go alone. I am wanting some sense of community but I am paralyzed by my ignorance. There is so much I do not know and I have never been inside a mosque. My husband is not interested in going with me (and I feel I could benefit more from the guidance of a sister in these matters.) Also, I have children that are in need of being raised on the right path. I have prayed to meet someone who can help me through this obstacle but my prayers are not steady and my faith is desperate. Of course, I undertsand it is not obligatory for women to attend

It sounds so easy, what you have written, and I am struggling so...
imsad
:sl: Aww sis, where do you live? You shouldn't be scared to go to the mosque, you can start attending sister's circles and making friends.

Besides there are TONS of Islamic resources on the net!

caroline
12-28-2007, 04:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MKE Brother
Call the mosque, explain the situation. I am sure they have an outreach coordinator who will be more than happy to get a very helpful person in touch with you and quell your fears.

I hope this helps.
I just emailed my local Islamic center (we don't have a mosque here). I basically told them to come and convert us. :giggling:

morate
12-28-2007, 07:09 PM
I knew I found the right place. I am laughing already. Yes, I just need to be more forward. I have emailed the Imam and he gave me his wife's email but she hasn't gotten back to me. I also emailed the mosque directly and no reply. Not to let this push me off. I could just go there- I am just worried about being presentable. I have not worn hijab and don't know how. All these little details tying me up. God is in my heart and I want to embrace this.
Thanks for the support.

syed saboor
12-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Now, I am not trying to rude to the new converts in Islam, but one piece of advice, please do not contaminate Islam with your corrupt Western ways, for all of our sakes. I notice that many Americans--both white and black--who convert to Islam tend to try to fashion Islam into something distinctly American. Keep Islam the way it is and don't try to interpret from your predis-
positions.

morate
12-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Not sure how 'corrupt' I am. Just trying to find a way to the right path.

MustafaMc
12-29-2007, 12:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by caroline
I just emailed my local Islamic center (we don't have a mosque here). I basically told them to come and convert us. :giggling:
Allahu akbar! Allahu akbar! Allahu akbar! (Allah is Great) The best news that I have heard in quite some time. ;DMay Allah continue to guide you and make your transition to becoming a Muslim easy for both of you.

MKE Brother
12-29-2007, 12:29 AM
Not sure how 'corrupt' I am. Just trying to find a way to the right path.
I believe the chosen words may have simply been a bit blunt but do not let that discourage you, it was well intentioned.

You are working your way down the right path and in the right direction. Do not worry about your first meeting at the mosque and your dress, it is to be expected with someone new. Stop worrying about what everyone will think and let your heart do the work.

MustafaMc
12-29-2007, 12:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syed saboor
Now, I am not trying to rude to the new converts in Islam, but one piece of advice, please do not contaminate Islam with your corrupt Western ways, for all of our sakes. I notice that many Americans--both white and black--who convert to Islam tend to try to fashion Islam into something distinctly American. Keep Islam the way it is and don't try to interpret from your predis-positions.
Perhaps you would be so kind as to give us some illustrative examples.

I would encourage these 2 new Muslims to take it slow as it is quite a shock to one's inner most being to convert to another religion, particularly to one that is so different from what one is used to and much more ritualistic. From my perspective, some born-Muslims tend to confuse their culture with religion and think they are one and the same.

In Islam we strive to follow the example of Prophet Muhammad (saaws) and we abhore any innovations in religion. With that said there is also a range in how strictly one adheres to the Sunnah. For example, I have a full beard and a closely trimmed mustache (Sunnah), but most Middle Eastern and Indo-Pak Muslims I know have no beard at all.

caroline
12-29-2007, 12:49 AM
Truly God Great! My heart demands that I worship Him.

Thank you Mc. You've been such a great source of encouragement for me.

As for corrupting Islam, well -- if I were content with the corrupt ways of the culture around me I wouldn't have been searching for a better one and consequently would not have found Islam.

Why would I wash myself and then put on dirty clothes? The corruption of the world around me is what I am rejecting. It's the purity of Islam that I love -- why would I want to sully it?

Respectfully.

Intisar
12-29-2007, 01:27 AM
:sl: Caroline, have you become Muslim? ALLAHU AKBAR! Subhan Allaah (Glory be to Allaah), I'm almost in tears. Allaah has truly guided you, and may he continue to guide you inshaa Allaah ta'ala.

Intisar
12-29-2007, 01:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
From my perspective, some born-Muslims tend to confuse their culture with religion and think they are one and the same.
:sl: Akhi that is too true, people tend intermingle the deen with their culture! Islaam is a DEEN, NOT A RELIGION, AND IT IS A WAY OF LIFE! Yes, it's good to know your culture and be proud of it, but at the end of the day, we're one Ummah.

syed saboor
12-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Basically, when I was referring to corrupting values, I was referring to how, for instance, in the United States, there are some Muslims who embracing things which are totally un-Islamic. That is what I mean by corrupt. Of course, people who come from Arabic and South Asian cultures bring with them baggage which has nothing to do with Islam, but so do many Americans who convert to Islam.

Uthman
12-29-2007, 10:04 AM
:sl:

There is a lovely thread here where people can post their reversion stories. :)

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.