/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Name for my daughter

Sameen
12-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Brothers

:sl:

i am a new mother of a 4 day old girl. My sister suggested i should name my baby laaibah - can you please tell me the meaning of the name and whether it is mentioned in any hadith or not. I quite like the name but want to know the meaning for sure before I name my daughter.

I live in Sydney - Australia and most of the imams here have gone for hajj. I have also consulted lots of books, but I have not been successful in my search so far - will really appreciate if you can respond back. It is Friday morning now.

My email address is [Address removed], if you want to send a direct email.

Also, what is the arabic script for the name - any thoughts.....

Salam & best regards
Sameen Haque

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd al-Baari
12-13-2007, 07:34 PM

Welcome to the forums, hope you have a beneficial stay here Insha'Allah

According to some websites Laaibah means 'a pretty woman of Jannah'

In arabic i think it looks like this ليبه but for more help on that make a thread in the Arabic section :)

For a list of names & meanigs check this Insha'Allah

------
12-13-2007, 07:36 PM
:salamext:

:welcome: to the forums

amirah_87
12-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Wa alaykum as salaam,

Welcome to the forum sister Sameen. :)

The arabic script for Laaibah is: لئيبة. Allaahu a'lam what it means.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
12-13-2007, 07:44 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

Mu'minah and Amatullah are nice names....

As are: Ayesha, Maryam and Ruwaydah...

truemuslim
12-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Here sister, go to this, all the names on it are islamic: http://islamcan.com/names/index.shtml

chacha_jalebi
12-13-2007, 08:03 PM
my niece named laiba:D

i heard its a names of a hoor in jannah,

more girls names - aqsa, madinah, asma, aisha, or qurra tul ain lol but ppl will start callin her qurri 4 short :(

:p

Re.TiReD
12-13-2007, 08:16 PM
AssalamuAlaykum

I shall now proceed to name all the girls in my family *coughcough* generation I mean:

Ahem...

Aliya, Maryam, Rayhana, Misbah, Saba, Sumayya, Sabiha, Zaynab, Amna, Ayesha, Hajrah, Anam, Tayyibah erm... cant think of anymore...But all the best with the name keeping *grin*

Imam
12-13-2007, 08:17 PM

actually ,the only place I have known such name is in a hadith

عن أبي سعيد الخدري قال‏:‏ مع الدجال امرأة يقال لها لئيبة لا يؤم قرية إلا سبقته إليها فتقول‏:‏ هذا الرجل داخل عليكم فاحذروه‏.‏

‏(‏نعيم بن حماد في الفتن‏)‏‏.

it means when in the future the dajaal comes to seduce the people ,there will be a woman called (laeebah) who will warn the people against his wicked intentions ...

Having studied Arabic ,I can assure you that no Arabic root for such name..

you want my advice dear sister?

why don't you give the baby a common name and so similar to laeebah?

it is the name (labeebah) which mean (reasonable,intellegent woman)....

:w:

truemuslim
12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
what do these names mean? Sana, reem, and sahar?

Re.TiReD
12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
what do these names mean? Sana, reem, and sahar?
AssalamuAlaykum

isnt sana actually 'Thana'? meaning praise I think?

And Sahar has something to do with the morning....hmm thats my cousins name...and never heard reem before *grin*

asadxyz
12-13-2007, 10:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sameen
Brothers

i am a new mother of a 4 day old girl. My sister suggested i should name my baby laaibah - can you please tell me the meaning of the name and whether it is mentioned in any hadith or not. I quite like the name but want to know the meaning for sure before I name my daughter.

I live in Sydney - Australia and most of the imams here have gone for hajj. I have also consulted lots of books, but I have not been successful in my search so far - will really appreciate if you can respond back. It is Friday morning now.

My email address is [Address removed], if you want to send a direct email.

Also, what is the arabic script for the name - any thoughts.....

Salam & best regards
Sameen Haque
Dear sister!
This word لائبه is feminine of لائب which is اسم الفاعل ie agent or doer of some action i.e verb.This verb is
لاب ,يلوب which means to be thirsty and wandering aroung the source of water and not able to access it.

لسان العرب - (ج 1 / ص 745)
( لوب ) اللَّوْبُ واللُّوبُ واللُّؤُوبُ واللُّوَابُ العَطَش وقيل هو استدارةُ الحَائِم حَوْلَ الماءِ وهو عَطشان لا يَصِل إِليه وقد لاب يَلُوبُ لَوْباً ولُوباً ولُوَاباً ولَوَباناً أَي عَطِشَ فهو لائِبٌ والجمع لُؤُوب مثل شاهدٍ وشُهُود قال

تاج العروس - (ج 1 / ص 946)

ل و ب
اللَّوْب بالفتح واللَّوبُ بالضَّم واللُّؤُوبُ كَقُعُودٍ واللُّوَابُ كغُرَابٍ : العَطَشُ أَو هو اسْتِدارَةُ الحائِمِ حَوْلَ الماءِ وهُوَ عَطْشَانُ لا يصِلُ إِليه
وقد لابَ يَلُوب لَوْباً ولُوباً ولُوَاباً ولَوَباناً مُحَرَّكةً . وفي نسخةِ الصَّحِاح لُوبَاناً ضبطه كعُثمان أَي : عَطِش فهو لائِبٌ والجمع لُؤُوبٌ كشاهِدٍ وشُهُودٍ
Note:You seem to be a Pakistani and influenced by the name of a character in a drama serial.

truemuslim
12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
AssalamuAlaykum

isnt sana actually 'Thana'? meaning praise I think?

And Sahar has something to do with the morning....hmm thats my cousins name...and never heard reem before *grin*
no actually i mean sana' with a hamza at the end, and a seen in the beggining, and my cousin is named sahar too. and thanks:D

Imam
12-13-2007, 11:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz
Dear sister!
This word لائبه is feminine of لائب which is اسم الفاعل ie agent or doer of some action i.e verb.This verb is
لاب ,يلوب which means to be thirsty and wandering aroung the source of water and not able to access it.

لسان العرب - (ج 1 / ص 745)
( لوب ) اللَّوْبُ واللُّوبُ واللُّؤُوبُ واللُّوَابُ العَطَش وقيل هو استدارةُ الحَائِم حَوْلَ الماءِ وهو عَطشان لا يَصِل إِليه وقد لاب يَلُوبُ لَوْباً ولُوباً ولُوَاباً ولَوَباناً أَي عَطِشَ فهو لائِبٌ والجمع لُؤُوب مثل شاهدٍ وشُهُود قال

تاج العروس - (ج 1 / ص 946)

ل و ب
اللَّوْب بالفتح واللَّوبُ بالضَّم واللُّؤُوبُ كَقُعُودٍ واللُّوَابُ كغُرَابٍ : العَطَشُ أَو هو اسْتِدارَةُ الحائِمِ حَوْلَ الماءِ وهُوَ عَطْشَانُ لا يصِلُ إِليه
وقد لابَ يَلُوب لَوْباً ولُوباً ولُوَاباً ولَوَباناً مُحَرَّكةً . وفي نسخةِ الصَّحِاح لُوبَاناً ضبطه كعُثمان أَي : عَطِش فهو لائِبٌ والجمع لُؤُوبٌ كشاهِدٍ وشُهُودٍ
Note:You seem to be a Pakistani and influenced by the name of a character in a drama serial.

Great work Brother Asad ......sadly I no longer have a version of لسان العرب
what is strange is that the time I read the hadith

عن أبي سعيد الخدري قال‏:‏ مع الدجال امرأة يقال لها لئيبة لا يؤم قرية إلا سبقته إليها فتقول‏:‏ هذا الرجل داخل عليكم فاحذروه‏.

I checked for its root ( لوب ) in the same reference لسان العرب but didn't find the root !!!!
I think cause I did it in a hurry

now you know what astonish me? is is not that laeeba has meaning,it is to use such meaning (the thirsty one) to name a female :D....

Ummu Sufyaan
12-14-2007, 01:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by JihadunNafs
AssalamuAlaykum

Mu'minah and Amatullah are nice names....

As are: Ayesha, Maryam and Ruwaydah...
congrats..
too right maryams a nice name sis jihadun nafs:p:D

helpful muslima
12-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Asalam Alikum

Mabruk For new baby.

I wish For you and the Baby the best of Imman and Health.

This Website can be helpful :
http://www.islamcan.com/cgi-bin/incr...83384522.shtml

There is lots of girl's names and there meaning.

and if you choose one name of them, tell us.
and i will type it in Arabic Script.
Salam

Re.TiReD
12-17-2007, 12:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by truemuslim
no actually i mean sana' with a hamza at the end, and a seen in the beggining, and my cousin is named sahar too. and thanks:D
AssalamuAlaykum

ahem, my research tells me that Sana means brilliance and Sahar means Dawn *grin*

format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
congrats..

*grin*

extinction
12-17-2007, 09:35 PM
I like the names Sahar, Saamia, Maria, Delilah, Sara, Yasmin, and Sabrina

syilla
12-18-2007, 03:01 AM
:salamext:

Mawaddah
Aliya
Mysarah
Honey (Hanee)
Azleen
Tasneem (the name of a river in the paradise)

Alif ya Nun Alif (Aina - don't really know how to spell in english)
Salwa
Shafeekah

:p
wassallam

waji
12-18-2007, 05:39 AM

Female Names

mariam.
12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryam11
congrats..
you are right sister :sunny:

sister there is a mistake in your signature .

هيهات نصر وقد ضعت عقيدتنا وهي السلاح الذي في الحرب يغنيناّّّّّّ

you should write this word Like that: ضاعت
peace

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.