/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Google Tips

shible
12-14-2007, 02:59 AM
:sl:

§ Phrase your question in the form of an answer. So instead of typing, "What is the average rainfall in the Amazon basin?", you might get better results by typing "The average rainfall in the Amazon basin is."

§ T his is an old one, but very important: Put quotes around phrases that must be searched together. If you put quotes around "electric curtains," Google won't waste your time finding one set of Web pages containing the word "electric" and another set containing the word "curtains."

§ Similarly, put a hyphen right before any word you want screened out. If you're looking up dolphins, for example, you'll have to wade through a million Miami Dolphins pages unless you search for "dolphins - Miami."

§ Google is a global White Pages and Yellow Pages. Search for "phonebook:home depot norwalk , ct," Google instantly produces the address and phone number of the Norwalk Home Depot. This works with names ("phonebook:robert jones las vegas, NV") as well as businesses.

§ Don't put any space after "phonebook." And in all of the following examples, don't type the quotes I'm showing you here.

§ Google is a package tracker. Type a FedEx or UPS package number (just the digits); when you click Search, Google offers a link to its tracking information.

§ Google is a calculator. Type in an equation ("32+2345*3-234=").

§ Google is a units-of-measurement converter. Type "teaspoons in a gallon," for example, or "centimeters in a foot."

§ Google is a stock ticker. Type in AAPL or MSFT, for example, to see a link to the current Apple or Microsoft stock price, graphs, financial news and so on.

§ Google is an atlas. Type in an area code, like 212, to see a Mapquest map of the area.

§ Google is Wal-Mart's computer. Type in a UPC bar code number, such as "036000250015," to see the description of the product you've just "scanned in." (Thanks to the Google Blog,

http://google.blogspace.com , for this tip and the next couple.)

§ G oogle is an aviation buff. Type in a flight number like "United 22" for a link to a map of that flight's progress in the air. Or type in the tail number you see on an airplane for the full registration form for that plane.

§ Google is the Department of Motor Vehicles. Type in a VIN (vehicle identification number, which is etched onto a plate, usually on the door frame, of every car), like "JH4NA1157MT001832," to find out the car's year, make and model.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhminah123
12-14-2007, 05:33 AM
Mashaallah! I thought I was pretty web savvy but I never knew all of these different ways that you can search in google.

Thanks for the tips.

Abdul-Raouf
12-14-2007, 05:46 AM
Shukhria bhai...

:)

Eric H
12-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Greetings and peace be with you shible,

Thanks for the tips, I have learned something new again today.

Take care.

Eric

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
shible
12-14-2007, 11:20 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you shible,

Thanks for the tips, I have learned something new again today.

Take care.

Eric
Learning is the only Way to Mature in Life. I feel each day is a new day to me

:w:

crayon
12-14-2007, 11:22 AM
Oooh, awesome tips!
Thanks for sharing them.
I especially love this one "Google is a calculator. Type in an equation ("32+2345*3-234="). "

ashara
12-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Hey, thanks for the tips. I like the first one about phrasing the sentences.

Has anyone tried the calculator? u got this from http://www.greatestjournal.com/users...mpt/15284.html right? have u tried it? is it just me or my google hates maths as much as i do? :)

shible
12-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Actually I got it on Mail.

So i shared it over here

shible
12-14-2007, 11:57 AM
This calculater Stuff Works not only in google search bar. But it also works on the Google Toolbar.

While typing the value it instantly gives u the answer

ashara
12-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Thanks for sharing. I got the page when i tried the equation :)
I tried something simple like "2+4=" but somehow it doesn't work. Any idea why? Thanks in advance.

shible
12-14-2007, 12:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ashara
Thanks for sharing. I got the page when i tried the equation :)
I tried something simple like "2+4=" but somehow it doesn't work. Any idea why? Thanks in advance.
u need not give any quotes "

jus type 2+4= and hit search it gives u the reply

crayon
12-14-2007, 01:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible
This calculater Stuff Works not only in google search bar. But it also works on the Google Toolbar.

While typing the value it instantly gives u the answer
I just tried that.
Awesome!!!:D

'Abd al-Baari
12-14-2007, 03:42 PM

Google is also a dictionary!
Type define: [and your word here] for a definition

Amina2
12-15-2007, 02:42 AM
google is my fav search engine. Ever since i got introduced to it i can't stop using it. google is how i found this forum lol. i even have google mail. Its is great by the way.

snakelegs
12-15-2007, 02:48 AM
thanks!

shible
12-15-2007, 05:57 PM
For your information

i shall share one more info

i knew about Google.

Google is the Highest payer for an entry level developer @ 1,200,000 INR /annum

Google takes 12 rounds of interview for recruiting

crayon
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Speaking of working at google, have you guys seen what it's like there?!
BLISS.

(i could show you the youtube video if anyone wants it)

shible
12-15-2007, 06:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by crayon
Speaking of working at google, have you guys seen what it's like there?!
BLISS.

(i could show you the youtube video if anyone wants it)
Hey Sis i have seen the video and also had some mail pics on Google Office.

Though it may look big it is not that huge on its own.

It's all us (the Users) that gave them the name and Fame.

If there is something replacing it in future we may surely look on it too

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.