/* */

PDA

View Full Version : 7 Foods Every Woman Must Eat

shible
12-14-2007, 03:11 AM
:sl:

7 Foods Every Woman Must Eat

Here's good-food news: The more you munch on healthy eats, the less you need to worry about Friday night's fat burger and fries. Who says? Harvard. Its medical school has found that women who routinely nibble nutritiously slash their risk of dying from the usual culprits, including heart disease and cancer.

To up your odds of living a long and healthy life--despite occasional blow-outs at TGIF--make sure you regularly include these 7 nutritional powerhouses in your diet. "They're the cream of the healthy-foods crop," says Elizabeth Somer, RD, author of Age-Proof Your Body.

1. BERRIES
Why: Ounce for ounce, berries have more protective plant antioxidants than almost any other food. "These compounds not only lower your disease risks, they help prevent memory loss," says Somer.

How Much: Aim for a cup of berries--any berries, fresh or frozen--at least three times a week (berry researchers say eat a cup daily). Since berries are high in fill-you-up fiber, they may also help curb weight gain.

How:

Toss them in salads
Snack on them one by one, like healthy potato chips
Add them to yogurt, cereal, and smoothies
Stir them into anything you bake

2. SALMON
Why: Sure salmon is a prime source of omega-3s, the healthy fats that fend off heart disease and maybe more, but are you aware that a mere 3 ounces of the fish serves up 170% of your daily vitamin B12 and more than 80% of your D

How Much: Aim for two servings a week (and if one's tuna, that's okay).

How:

Broil, bake or poach it with dill
Toss it into pasta dishes and salads
If you're vegetarian or just not a fish-eater, get the key omega-3 fat called DHA in:

Silk Plus Omega-3 DHA Soymilk
Horizon Organic Milk Plus DHA
Oh Mama Nutrition Bars
Gold Circle Farm Eggs
Rachel's Wickedly Delicious Yogurts

3. LEAFY GREENS
Why: It's almost impossible to meet your nutritional needs without eating dark leafy greens, from spinach and romaine to collard greens and chard. They're huge sources of fiber; vitamins C and K; folic acid (a B vitamin that guards the heart and memory and fights birth defects); lutein, a vision protector; and four essential minerals: calcium, magnesium, iron, and potassium.

How Much: Two servings a day, and the darker, the better.

How:

Add arugula to your sandwich
Layer chard into lasagna
Fold spinach into omelets
Add any green to stir-fries, pasta dishes and soup

4. WHOLE GRAINS
Why: They have up to 96 percent more fiber, magnesium, zinc, chromium and vitamins E and B6 than refined grains. This nutritional powerhouse helps prevent the same health problems that refined grains help cause: heart disease, cancer, diabetes, hypertension and even obesity.

How Much: Ideally, all of the six daily grain servings you need should be whole, unrefined grains, but aim for at least three.

How:

Start your day with oatmeal or whole-grain cold cereal
Use 100% whole-wheat bread for toast and sandwiches
Switch to whole-wheat couscous and pasta
Opt for brown rice (instant is fine), whole-grain pretzels, even whole-wheat tortillas

5. NUTS
Why: They're excellent sources of protein, magnesium, B vitamins and E--trusty fighters in the war against heart disease and cancer. Yes, nuts are high in fat calories, but their fat is the heart-healthy kind. Replace junky snacks with them and you won't gain an ounce.

How Much: Up to five small fistfuls a week (roughly 1/4 cup or about 15-20 almonds, cashews, walnuts or pecans).

How:

Sprinkle plain or toasted nuts on salads instead of croutons
Mix them into cooked cous cous and brown rice
Stir them into cereal and yogurt
Use them to garnish a stir-fry just before serving

6. GOLDEN VEGGIES
Why: Just one serving of fiber-filled, deep-yellow-orange vegetables supplies five times the beta carotene you need daily to lower your cancer risk, defend against colds and other infections, and protect your skin from sun damage. The potassium in these veggies also keeps your heartbeat in sync and your blood pressure down.

How Much: Aim for two half-cup servings a day, the equivalent of one sweet potato, 12 canned apricot halves or a cup of butternut squash or carrots.

How: Try this sweet potato quickie from Somer's The Food & Mood Cookbook:

Cajun Sweet Potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut sweet potatoes into 1-inch thick slices and toss with olive oil, Cajun seasoning and freshly ground pepper.
3. Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly brown and cooked through, but still slightly crunchy.

7. YOGURT
Why: Low- or no-fat plain yogurt is a terrific source of B vitamins, protein, calcium and --if it has active cultures--the healthy bacteria known as probiotics, which crowd out disease-causing germs.

How Much: Four or more cups a week, if this is your main dairy source.

How: Cut back on sugar and calories by choosing plain yogurt and adding fruit, especially berries, and some granola. Or be more inventive:

Mix a dash of vanilla and chopped mint into yogurt and dollop on fruit
Use yogurt instead of sour cream for dips, sauces and salad dressings
Top baked potatoes with yogurt and chives
Thicken sauces and make soups "creamy" with yogurt
The payback part? As one of the Harvard researchers would likely tell you, eating a diverse diet that is low in calories and high in nutrients can make your RealAge as much as 4 years younger.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
shible
12-14-2007, 05:36 PM

I am trying to upload an Image but it is Failing.

That image is very useful one

Is there are other way to publish it apart from uploading it to third party websites

*Behna*
12-15-2007, 04:51 PM

thanx for the sharing.

shible
12-15-2007, 06:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shible

I am trying to upload an Image but it is Failing.

That image is very useful one

Is there are other way to publish it apart from uploading it to third party websites

I wasn't able to get a response Guys

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Kittygyal
12-15-2007, 08:25 PM
Assalamualikum

Lol, kewl

Ma'assalama

Amina2
12-16-2007, 02:27 AM
I wasn't able to get a response Guys
just copy and past the url of the image to the insert image thing on the top of the text box.

shible
12-16-2007, 03:53 AM

here goes the pic

I hope this is useful

shible
12-16-2007, 09:40 AM
The above pic is best described as " KNOW U'r Body"

shible
12-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Thanks Sister for your assistance

Kittygyal
12-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Assalamualikum.

Fish... :X

Errr... Horrid... let a apple turn brown YUCK..

Anywho shukran

Ma'assalama

shible
12-16-2007, 04:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
Assalamualikum.

Fish... :X

Errr... Horrid... let a apple turn brown YUCK..

Anywho shukran

Ma'assalama
Hey Kiity u'r cat(pic) fights far better than u ;D

Muhminah123
12-19-2007, 05:54 PM
Thanks for this. This is really, really useful.

I think I will copy this and stick it on my fridge just as it suggests.

here goes the pic

I hope this is useful

aqsakhan
12-20-2007, 06:31 AM
nice idea muhminah
well jazakallah khair for just an iportant
information

H4RUN
12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
One was hoping to see a thread on '7 foods men must eat' How wrong i was...

Oh well, cant beat them, join them, not literally, i'll give the yoghurt a try soon, very soon, come to think of it, i'll be back in 10 minutes, i just erm have to do something......

Zarmina
01-03-2008, 06:40 AM
I eat everything on the list pretty frequently, except Salmon. I should be eating more fish, but I am worried about the Mercury in them.

genki
01-03-2008, 07:13 AM
why only women? what you listed are healthy foods that everybody should try to eat.

shible
01-03-2008, 07:56 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by genki
why only women? what you listed are healthy foods that everybody should try to eat.
The immune System of Men and Women are different. It is more benefitial for them.

U r right Bro

but the Researchers who posted it may have felt it brings more goodness to women's health System...

seattlemuslimah
01-03-2008, 08:35 AM

[CENTER]7 Foods Every Woman Must Eat

Here's good-food news: The more you munch on healthy eats, the less you need to worry about Friday night's fat burger and fries. Who says? Harvard. Its medical school has found that women who routinely nibble nutritiously slash their risk of dying from the usual culprits, including heart disease and cancer.

To up your odds of living a long and healthy life--despite occasional blow-outs at TGIF--make sure you regularly include these 7 nutritional powerhouses in your diet. "They're the cream of the healthy-foods crop," says Elizabeth Somer, RD, author of Age-Proof Your Body.

2. SALMON
Why: Sure salmon is a prime source of omega-3s, the healthy fats that fend off heart disease and maybe more, but are you aware that a mere 3 ounces of the fish serves up 170% of your daily vitamin B12 and more than 80% of your D

How Much: Aim for two servings a week (and if one's tuna, that's okay).

How:

Broil, bake or poach it with dill
Toss it into pasta dishes and salads
If you're vegetarian or just not a fish-eater, get the key omega-3 fat called DHA in:

Silk Plus Omega-3 DHA Soymilk
Horizon Organic Milk Plus DHA
Oh Mama Nutrition Bars
Gold Circle Farm Eggs
Rachel's Wickedly Delicious Yogurts

Actually woman shouldnt eat to much Tuna because it contains high levels of Mercury and can cause pregnancy problems, birth problems as well as can also aide in the cause of cancer. so Tuna isnt what we as woman should be eating. however, it is correct that we should eat more fish. Salmon is great however expensive. if you want a great fish but dont want to spend a load try talapia (sp). it is amazing and easy to prepare

GREAT THREAD

genki
01-03-2008, 08:38 AM

The immune System of Men and Women are different. It is more benefitial for them.

U r right Bro

but the Researchers who posted it may have felt it brings more goodness to women's health System...

hmmm interesting can you provide any links for evidence of research?

All those foods can be applied to men or women. And you could supplement or change some of them or swap it around. Infact some foods are even better.

Berries for teas or better small red beans, artichokes and spices like cinnamon, clove, oregano. Nuts are also good for this purpose too walnuts peacans hazelnuts etc.

Salmon for fish oil caps(high potency ones)

On fish you need to be careful with mercury levels. Generally the bigger the fish the more mercury itd have hence small fishes are better and some even more potent in dha/epa content eg archovies, catfish, sardine, trout etc

etc etc etc

you could also supplement with high potency all encompassing multivitamins. And lets not forget our friend Vitamin C which is good for your immune system and your skin and body dosage depends on how active etc you are but 2g a day should be a good starting point.

seattlemuslimah
01-03-2008, 08:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zarmina
I eat everything on the list pretty frequently, except Salmon. I should be eating more fish, but I am worried about the Mercury in them.
Well we as women should worry about that however Tuna is the only fish so far as I have found that contains the amount of Mercury we shouldnt have in our systems. All of fishes are good for us and we should eat regularly. Talapia is the least expensive and taste amazing. Salmon is expensive and taste amazing... Trout is reasonabe and is amazing... however Tuna isnt worth the Mercury intake you will have no matter the price. Good luck

seattlemuslimah
01-03-2008, 08:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by genki
Salmon for fish oil caps(high potency ones)

On fish you need to be careful with mercury levels. Generally the bigger the fish the more mercury itd have hence small fishes are better and some even more potent in dha/epa content eg archovies, catfish, sardine, trout etc

etc etc etc

you could also supplement with high potency all encompassing multivitamins. And lets not forget our friend Vitamin C which is good for your immune system and your skin and body dosage depends on how active etc you are but 2g a day should be a good starting point.

Actually no matter if you supplement or not it isnt the same as actually eating the meats because no matter how much stuff you take extra you will always miss something. but as you said you should definately eat smaller fishes such as salmon or smaller. if you eat the larger fish you are right you have to worry about mercury levels, especially in TUNA. Halibut, cod, trout, salmon, talapia, catfish, bass, rock fish, red snapper, etc... are the fish you should be looking at eating.

umar113
01-04-2008, 03:58 AM
thankyou for sharing :)
i hope it benefits a lot of SISTERS.

Zarmina
01-04-2008, 06:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seattlemuslimah
Well we as women should worry about that however Tuna is the only fish so far as I have found that contains the amount of Mercury we shouldnt have in our systems. All of fishes are good for us and we should eat regularly. Talapia is the least expensive and taste amazing. Salmon is expensive and taste amazing... Trout is reasonabe and is amazing... however Tuna isnt worth the Mercury intake you will have no matter the price. Good luck
Good to know, that's probably why it's so cheap. Thanks. :peace:

MaiCarInMtl
01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
For the salmon, yes it is more expensive than tuna, but wait until it goes on sale, then buy a lot and freeze them. There are other fish you can eat. People keep telling me mahi mahi is amazing.

I have tuna once in a while, but not nearly as much as I used to.

Fish oil caps are good for you, but to avoid fishy burps, take them a few minutes before you eat! I learn the hard way (ew!!).

I think everyone would benefit from eating more foods that are whole, aka closer to their natural state. That way there's not all this extra stuff added in (sodium, sugar, and who knows what else). Also, cooking food often breaks down fibre or makes food lose some of it's nutrients.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.