/* */

PDA

View Full Version : On Dealing With Muslims who differ With Our Ijtihad

Ummu Sufyaan
12-17-2007, 02:48 AM
:sl:
On Dealing With Muslims who differ With Our Ijtihad
If we choose one of the two scholar’s opinions about a person, group or issue, how do we treat those who take an opinion different from us?
Answer by: Shaikh Muhammad S. al-Uthaimeen

It is necessary that we work and cooperate in a manner that shows love, respect and understanding of their position so long as their choices do not lead to problems in Aqueedah. This is disbecause the companions of the salProphet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, differed in matters while agreeing on the principles and were in conformity. They were in agreement, that the aim was to reach the truth and what is correct, and they were in conformity with the Shari'ah. Not every person can attain the same understanding as others. So if there is a difference upon an issue there is no need for dispute. We all agree to be on one principle (i.e., the same Aqueedah) because I know that my brothers, while firmly holding the other opinion, will not differ from me without following evidence, and I likewise would not differ from them if I am not following the evidence. Our aim is the same. Then it is not permissible for one to have any hatred or anger or enmity towards one another. We have many cases of this sort of disagreement during the time of the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, and after him. And I will briefly mention what happened in the incident of Bani Quraidhah:
When the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, returned from the battle of the Parties (al-Ahzaab), and the companions had put down their weapons and armaments because war was over, the angel Jibreel, alayhes salam, came down to the prophet and ordered him to go out to Bani Quraidhah in their homeland and fight them because they had broken the treaty (between them and the Muslims). Therefore, the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, told his companions to hurry to that place by saying, "None of you should make the Asr salah except in Bani Quraidhah." They set out from Madinah and as time for Asr salah came in, some amongst them made the salah saying that the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, told us not to make the salah except in Bani Quraidhah only to urge us to hurry. Others said he, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, ordered us not to make the salah except in Bani Quraidhah and so we won't make it until we reach there even if the sun goes down [and the time for Asr ends]. When this disagreement reached the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, he did not blame or censure any of them nor did any of them find fault in the other.

This is what is obligatory. If I know that my differing brothers are well intending and they would only differ from me due to evidence with them, it is necessary to know that it is not permitted for me to feel hatred toward them. Why shouldI? To justify detesting them means Iam justifying to myself that I must be obeyed as though I am infallible. This is not permissible. Their argument against me is like mine against theirs and they can say too: why don't you obey us?
Allah Knows Best
Taken from Al-Jumuah Magazine, Safar 1421 (May/June 2000)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
02-23-2009, 09:54 AM
*bump...

*Yasmin*
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
jazake Allahu kharyan sister
thanx for sharing, good post.

zanjabeela
02-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Wow, that was written so long ago, yet it seems so current. It's so relevant, too...in so many things, we have differences among us. Rather than accepting the diversity, we like to browbeat each other to conform to "my way!" and insist that our way is the only way. Differences of opinion are a blessing, and make the middle road possible. Without differences, there would on be black and white...no gray!

Nice reminder, sis. JazakiAllah khair.

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
02-27-2009, 12:34 PM
btw, if your're wondering what ijtihad is, it is
linguistically ijtihaad means: to expend efforts in order to reach some difficult matter. Technically it means: expending efforts to arrive at a Sharee'ah ruling.
taken from this post--->http://www.islamicboard.com/methodol...html#post80384

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.