/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Prayer times

glo
12-22-2007, 06:50 PM
At Ramadan I printed off the time table for Islamic prayer times to gain an understanding when Muslims would be required to pray during the day.

I noticed that the prayers were by no means spread evenly throughout the day.
Can somebody tell me how the 5 different prayers are determined?
I believe that two are related to the sun rising and setting. What about the others?

Thanks in advance :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
12-23-2007, 11:59 PM
*Thread approved*

glo
12-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Hello again. :)

Does anybody know the answer to my original question?
Thank you

'Abd al-Baari
12-25-2007, 09:37 PM
:sl:

This is taken from a book that is taught at the Masjid to young children but it'll give you some idea -->

Fajr prayer is read 1 hour/1 ¼ hour before sunrise,
Zuhar prayer is read after the noon,
Asar prayer is read 1 ½ / 2 hours before sunset,
Maghrib prayer is read immediately after sunset,
Isha prayer is read 1 ½ / 2 hours after sunset.

I'll try and find a website that explains in more detail Insha'Allah

P.S As uncle Woodrow mentions below, these are a guideline and the Masjid will usually set a fixed time for a week/month which fits with the given guidelines according to the Shariah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
12-25-2007, 09:38 PM
They are based on the posistion of the sun and there are no exact times they have to be said rather it is a time frame within which they must be said. So individuals within a city may differ on the time they say them. the Mosques will normally set a specific time that will hold for several months and the prayers will still be within the proper time frame.

al_islam
12-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Can you mix prayers.

IE, pray Dhuhr and Asr together and Maghrib and Isha ?

If so at what time can they be prayed ?

YusufNoor
12-25-2007, 09:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
At Ramadan I printed off the time table for Islamic prayer times to gain an understanding when Muslims would be required to pray during the day.

I noticed that the prayers were by no means spread evenly throughout the day.
I believe that two are related to the sun rising and setting. What about the others?

Thanks in advance :)

Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,

Merry Qwanz-ukah Glo!

ALL the prayers are determined by the position of the sun. Fajr is around the time that night starts to break, Duhr is just after the sun leaves it peak in the sky, Asr midway between Duhr and Maghrib or when your shadow is half your size, Maghrib is just after sunset and Isha is when it is completely dark.

here's a site:

http://www.qibla.org/cgi-bin/qibla.cgi?region=me

hope it helps!

:w:

Ali.
12-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I don't think these answers are going to be 100% accurate, but enough to gain a mild understanding:

Fajr (1st prayer): The last part of the night, the approach of dawn when whiteness can be noticed on the length of the horizon towards the East, i.e. in the direction where the Sun is rising, Morning.

Zuhr/Thuhur (2nd prayer): Mid-day, the declining or descending of the zenith, the time of zuhr salat commenses. An indication that the zenith is declining is that the shadow of long objects begins to decrease from the west towards the north. When it comes exactly to the north and begins to turn towards the east, then one should know that noon has declined.

Asr (3rd prayer): Afternoon. Based on the previous example, once the shadow reaches two arm-lengths and four fingers, asr time will commence. Asr time will remain until sunset.

Maghrib (4th prayer): Evening. Once the sun starts to set, maghrib time commences. Maghrib time remains as long as the redness on the western horizon remains.

Isha (5th and final prayer): Once the redness on the western horizon disappears, isha time commences and remains until dawn. However, after mid-night isha salat becomes makruh and the reward is reduced. Therefore, isha salat should not be delayed till such a time. It is preferable that isha salat be offered before one third of the night passes.

Hope that helps. :)

glo
12-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Thank you all, for your replies!
I'm much clearer now. :)

Ali.
12-26-2007, 12:26 PM
No problem.

Glad to hear it. :)

glo
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Since Abdul has kindly found this thread for me, here is another question.

In the Northern Hemisphere Ramadan is slowly approaching the summer period.
In London the longest day (21 June) is almost 16 hours and 40 minutes long - leaving a mere 7 hours and 20 minutes between sunset and sunrise.

How do Muslims manage to pray, eat (and sleep) during those 7 hours and 20 minutes?
That must be really tough!
What about people who live even further north, where the days are even longer?

(Of course the same applies to people in the Southern Hemisphere at Ramadan during midwinter.)

Cabdullahi
08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Since Abdul has kindly found this thread for me, here is another question.

In the Northern Hemisphere Ramadan is slowly approaching the summer period.
In London the longest day (21 June) is almost 16 hours and 40 minutes long - leaving a mere 7 hours and 20 minutes between sunset and sunrise.

How do Muslims manage to pray, eat (and sleep) during those 7 hours and 20 minutes?
That must be really tough!
What about people who live even further north, where the days are even longer?

(Of course the same applies to people in the Southern Hemisphere at Ramadan during midwinter.)
Sister the poor african children survive for days without food,if we get 7 hours to sleep,eat and pray compared to the poor it is relaxation

So sister glo will you be fasting with us?:) or will you be eating those yorkshire puddings every day

glo
08-24-2008, 11:19 PM
Who told you I like Yorkshire Puddings???! :D

I am considering fasting during Ramadan, but haven't decided yet ...

Cabdullahi
08-24-2008, 11:28 PM

yeah you should try maybe fast for half the time for example instead of breaking the fast at sunset you could break it at asr prayers or even zuhr

glo
08-24-2008, 11:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
yeah you should try maybe fast for half the time for example instead of breaking the fast at sunset you could break it at asr prayers or even zuhr
I think I would have to be able to join my family for the evening meal (usually around 6 PM) - so it wouldn't be a full fast until sunset ...

MustafaMc
08-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Peace, Glo. Have you fasted as a Christian? If so, can you describe how you did it. When I was a Christian I would occasionally fast and read the Bible more during that time. The most that I fasted as a Christian was for 3 days with only water to drink.

As a Muslim, I start my fast before the time for fajr prayer which is about 1.5 hours before sunrise and end it immediately after sunset. During that time I abstain from food, drink and conjugal relations. The hardest part is going without water as I often work outside. We fast the whole month of Ramadan and it is sunnah to also fast on Mondays and Thursdays or at least 3 days within a month.

Cabdullahi
08-24-2008, 11:38 PM
I think I would have to be able to join my family for the evening meal (usually around 6 PM) - so it wouldn't be a full fast until sunset ...
If Esa came back to earth during ramadan he would be happy with you for fasting and also happy to see one of the practises he did that became extinct after he went being preserved as a obligotry practise by the muslims along with the taking of the shoes, washing the hands and feet and falling on the face and praying

glo
08-24-2008, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
Peace, Glo. Have you fasted as a Christian? If so, can you describe how you did it. When I was a Christian I would occasionally fast and read the Bible more during that time. The most that I fasted as a Christian was for 3 days with only water to drink.

As a Muslim, I start my fast before the time for fajr prayer which is about 1.5 hours before sunrise and end it immediately after sunset. During that time I abstain from food, drink and conjugal relations. The hardest part is going without water as I often work outside. We fast the whole month of Ramadan and it is sunnah to also fast on Mondays and Thursdays or at least 3 days within a month.
I agree that going without water would probably be the hardest part. I have never tried that before ...

I would probably have to drink gallons before starting the fast. :D

glo
08-26-2008, 02:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ahmedjunior
If Esa came back to earth during ramadan he would be happy with you for fasting and also happy to see one of the practises he did that became extinct after he went being preserved as a obligotry practise by the muslims along with the taking of the shoes, washing the hands and feet and falling on the face and praying
I am planning to fast to please God and to seek his guidance and will for my life, as well as to pray for Muslims and Christians alike, and for peace and harmony between all religions - but I am not planning to participate in Islamic prayer ...

I am hoping that when Esa returns, he will be pleased with me for having been inspired by his life and his teachings, having thought of him and sought God's guidance in prayer daily ... rather than having prayed in specific ways.

Salaam :)

Whatsthepoint
08-26-2008, 02:58 PM
What about people on the north/south pole, how are they supposed to determine the times of their prayers?

Whatsthepoint
08-26-2008, 02:59 PM

May I ask why?

glo
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Whatsthepoint
May I ask why?
Yes, you may. :)
See above post:
I am planning to fast to please God and to seek his guidance and will for my life, as well as to pray for Muslims and Christians alike, and for peace and harmony between all religions.

Whatsthepoint
08-26-2008, 03:04 PM
Yes, you may. :)
See above post:
Oops, missed that one.
That's a very noble cause, glo!:)

Güven
08-26-2008, 03:07 PM
I agree that going without water would probably be the hardest part. I have never tried that before ...

I would probably have to drink gallons before starting the fast. :D

Thats What I do :D

glo
08-26-2008, 03:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Güven
Thats What I do :D
Will I feel like a balloon full of water for hours afterwards??? +o(

Afifa
08-26-2008, 03:24 PM

well if u go to sleep again after sunrise like i do then no u dont. (well i dunt):D

Güven
08-26-2008, 03:24 PM

Yes You will +o(

Its Better To drink Thea And A couple Of Glasses Water would be Enough to survive I think

Whatsthepoint
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
What about people on the north/south pole, how are they supposed to determine the times of their prayers?
:bump:

glo
08-26-2008, 03:31 PM
:bump:
I found this answer in Fatwa Center, Whatsthepoint. I think it may answer your question.

The time of Maghrib begins with the sunset and ends with the disappearance of the red twilight when the time of ‘Ishaa’ prayer starts as clarified in Fataawa 81532 and 82253.

There is no doubt that the time-length of Maghrib prayer differs according to the difference of the seasons of the year especially if a person lives in a country near the North Pole, where the disappearance of the red twilight delays in some seasons of the year.

As regards a person who lives in the city and is unable to define the times of the prayer by eye-sighting, then he should take into consideration the prayer time calendar which a Muslim country issues or which trustworthy Islamic centres issue in non-Muslim countries. It should be noted that the Islamic centres gave importance to the issue of prayer times, all praise be to Allaah. Similarly, one may rely on the prayer time calendars which are issued by the World Islamic League, Al-Azhar and Karachi Universities, and other trustworthy institutions.

Allaah Knows best.
http://islamweb.net/ver2/fatwa/ShowF...Option=FatwaId

I guess the same would apply to people fasting during Ramadan in places where the sun doesn't set at all. Clearly they cannot go without any food at all for 19 days!

Whatsthepoint
08-26-2008, 03:42 PM
I found this answer in Fatwa Center, Whatsthepoint. I think it may answer your question.

http://islamweb.net/ver2/fatwa/ShowF...Option=FatwaId

I guess the same would apply to people fasting during Ramadan in places where the sun doesn't set at all. Clearly they cannot go without any food at all for 19 days!
The point is that there is no sunrise and sunset in the poles, so the prayer times cannot be determined at all. The calendars the fatwa mentions are different for every location in the world and are also determined by sunsets and sunrises.

glo
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
The point is that there is no sunrise and sunset in the poles, so the prayer times cannot be determined at all. The calendars the fatwa mentions are different for every location in the world and are also determined by sunsets and sunrises.
Hhmmm ... there endeth my knowledge on the topic ... :mmokay::uhwhat

Whatsthepoint
08-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Hhmmm ... there endeth my knowledge on the topic ... :mmokay::uhwhat
lol!
So far I haven't seen a proper reply for this.
Perhaps Muslims in the poles aren't required to pray or fast.

'Abd al-Baari
08-26-2008, 08:59 PM

This should explain, Insha'Allah. :)
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/5842

Whatsthepoint
08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Baari

This should explain, Insha'Allah. :)
http://islamqa.com/en/ref/5842

That's a solution, I thought of it too. Its a common sense solution, I don't think the fatwa proved it using hadiths or the Quran. Can you do that, use common sense to make religious rulings?

ummzayd
08-27-2008, 10:12 AM
That's a solution, I thought of it too. Its a common sense solution, I don't think the fatwa proved it using hadiths or the Quran. Can you do that, use common sense to make religious rulings?

of course, where there are no specific rulings for a particular dilemma then we should use the common sense that God gave us, along with general principles (for example, that there should not be too great a burden placed on people). and Allah knows best.

ummzayd
08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Peace - I have found that it is not advisable to drink gallons of water before commencing the fast. Your body just gets rid of it double quick and dehydration follows more quickly (em that's my personal experience anyway, I'm not claiming to be a scientist or anything). So it is better to have 2 glasses of water before the fast, not more. I would avoid all stimulants like tea or coffee as well. It's hard at first but your body soon adapts, alhamdulillah and I find I become less and less thirsty during the day as Ramadan progresses.

Derya
08-31-2008, 08:08 PM
I had the same question towards prayer's time. Very good topic.

MustafaMc
08-31-2008, 08:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummzayd
So it is better to have 2 glasses of water before the fast, not more. I would avoid all stimulants like tea or coffee as well. It's hard at first but your body soon adapts, alhamdulillah and I find I become less and less thirsty during the day as Ramadan progresses.
Sounds like great advice. Would it be better to drink extra water the night before to perhaps hyper-hydrate your body like a camel? I often work outside and find the thirst part the hardest. Do you have additional advice?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.