/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Giving Zakat

PersianPrince
12-23-2007, 03:43 PM
:sl:

What is the best way to give Zakat? I was planning to set up a direct debit to some charity, but I sometimes feel this is very lazy because it is all happening automatically.

Also,
(a) Should I consider a type of zakat that involves making time out to give it by hand?
(b) If the answer to (a) is "no", then who would you advise I give Zakat to?

Thank you all for your help.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
amirah_87
12-23-2007, 11:53 PM
*Thread approved*

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
01-01-2008, 04:50 PM
im intrested to know about this topic also...
i currently have a direct debit set up and also always donate in charity boxes when ever im out shopping... does giving zakat mean to give only to muslims or any charity / needy that would benefit?

i also remember my sister-in-laws telling me that giving zakat can also include feeding animals ( wild - like putting bread outside for birds or water in hot weather )
is this right?

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
bump*
can anyone share any knowledge they have on this.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PersianPrince
01-02-2008, 10:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by (¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯)
im intrested to know about this topic also...
i currently have a direct debit set up and also always donate in charity boxes when ever im out shopping... does giving zakat mean to give only to muslims or any charity / needy that would benefit?

i also remember my sister-in-laws telling me that giving zakat can also include feeding animals ( wild - like putting bread outside for birds or water in hot weather )
is this right?
:sl: ¯¨›Åÿê§h勨¯,

I've heard recently that it can be either muslim or non-muslim - anyone that's in need. I've also heard that we shouldn't ignore our neighbours or even people who happen to be sitting beside us (like in an office for example). (I guess that would apply if they appear to be hungry and unable to obtain food).

MartyrX
01-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I've read the same as PersianPrince wrote out. I've also heard that even a smile can count as Zakat.

PersianPrince
01-02-2008, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by JeffX
I've read the same as PersianPrince wrote out. I've also heard that even a smile can count as Zakat.
Is that right? Wow! But I've been told that one of the important things about Zakah (or Zakat) is that it should be given from your earnings.

PersianPrince
01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
*rolls his own eyes for not checking this before*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Pi...of_Islam#Zakah

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
01-02-2008, 11:10 PM
i have read that site too but i sometimes find it better to seek knowledge and experience from fellow muslims.. hence this site... :)

PersianPrince
01-02-2008, 11:13 PM
i have read that site too but i sometimes find it better to seek knowledge and experience from fellow muslims.. hence this site... :)
Yeah... I suppose I know what you mean.:X

But.. nevertheless, reading it again makes me feel how beautiful Islam is... It is a nice read..

ikaj
01-03-2008, 01:27 PM
ive been feeding stray cats there alot of them where I go to school. I feel so bad for them. So, that's considered giving zakat?

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
01-04-2008, 11:30 AM
i think i read an article about this on this site.. but i cant remember where... anyhows.. inshaAllah...it would be nice for someone with experience and knowledge to maybe give an insight to the questions asked on this thread.

MartyrX
01-04-2008, 03:40 PM
i think i read an article about this on this site.. but i cant remember where... anyhows.. inshaAllah...it would be nice for someone with experience and knowledge to maybe give an insight to the questions asked on this thread.
I've been scouring the sites for the last few days but have yet to find where I read it.

noorseeker
01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Isnt giving a smile classed as sadaqa and not zakat,

MartyrX
01-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Alright I found it.

http://www.load-islam.com/artical_de...er%20Islam

UmmSqueakster
01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nightstar
Isnt giving a smile classed as sadaqa and not zakat,
Exactly. From the article JeffX posted:

A pious person may also give as much as he or she pleases as Sadaqah, and does so preferably in secret. Although this word can be translated as 'voluntary charity' it has a wider meaning. The Prophet (pbuh) said: "Even meeting your brother with a cheerful face is charity."

While both Zakat and Sadaqa are forms of charity, they are very different things. Zakat is a purification of your income, a percentage that is owned by the poor muslims. The Zakat must come from your income. For some faqs, check this list.

Sadaqa is voluntary and can include both actions and money.

MartyrX
01-04-2008, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Janaan
Exactly. From the article JeffX posted:

While both Zakat and Sadaqa are forms of charity, they are very different things. Zakat is a purification of your income, a percentage that is owned by the poor muslims. The Zakat must come from your income. For some faqs, check this list.

Sadaqa is voluntary and can include both actions and money.
Thank you for clarifying!

PersianPrince
01-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Thank you JeffX. You know, the part where it says

"Our possessions are purified by setting aside a proportion for those in need, and, like the pruning of plants, this cutting back balances and encourages new growth."

That's just an amazing way of putting it! So from what I have understood, at the end of each year we give 2.5% of our "capital". As they're talking about "each year", I guess "capital" refers to total value we have earned in that year. So we take 2.5% of that (regardless of any expenses) and give that as Zakah/Zakat. (It does equate to a substantial amount - but I am not hesitant about it. I want to do this).

Assuming I have interpreted correctly, does it matter whom we give the Zakah/Zakat to?

MartyrX
01-08-2008, 04:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PersianPrince
Thank you JeffX. You know, the part where it says

"Our possessions are purified by setting aside a proportion for those in need, and, like the pruning of plants, this cutting back balances and encourages new growth."

That's just an amazing way of putting it! So from what I have understood, at the end of each year we give 2.5% of our "capital". As they're talking about "each year", I guess "capital" refers to total value we have earned in that year. So we take 2.5% of that (regardless of any expenses) and give that as Zakah/Zakat. (It does equate to a substantial amount - but I am not hesitant about it. I want to do this).

Assuming I have interpreted correctly, does it matter whom we give the Zakah/Zakat to?
I wish I could give you an answer on that one. I'm not all that positive so lets wait until someone with more knowledge comes along.

UmmSqueakster
01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Zakat is 2.5% of what you have saved, not what you have earned. There are several good zakat calculators out there, like this one, where all you ahve to do is plug in the numbers and it will tell you what you owe.

Islamic Relief also answers some frequently asked questions, like what part of my wealth is zakatable?

Sound Vision has a list of who should receive Zakat. Many islamic charities will have a zakat fund, where they will know the specifics of who should recieve it and make sure the money gets there.

Another option is to see if your local mosque or muslim community has a zakat fund that goes to help local needy muslims. Or, if you know of a family that needs financial help, you can give the money directly to them.

Medina83
01-18-2008, 11:32 AM
:w:

I read in a booklet issued by www.fisabilillah.org that Zakat must be given to muslims only, ordinary Sadaqah can be given to muslim or non-muslim.

Also it said that if you give the money to a middle party to distribute it, if that person does not give it to the needy muslims and spend it as Zakat must be spent (there are things Zakat cannot be spent on) then the responsibility is still on you to pay the Zakat.

So its our responsibility to ensure its all being spent correctly also.

Allahu Ahlam

Yusef_Phillips
02-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Salam Aleykum,

Just a quick Zakat question.
When does it become obligatory to give? Im a college student with no income... If I start getting income should I start giving Zakat, or does it start at some other time??

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.