/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Aggression 'makes men more humorous than women'

Muezzin
12-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Aggression 'makes men more humorous than women'

By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor

Published: 22 December 2007

A unicycling doctor who says men are funnier than women believes he has discovered the reason why.

Humour is a form of sublimated aggression and it is fuelled by the male hormone testosterone, according to Sam Shuster, a former consultant dermatologist from Newcastle upon Tyne.

Professor Shuster based his conclusion on the reactions he provoked while pedalling round his home town. He realised that the huge number of stereoptypical and predictable responses he got revealed an underlying biological phenomenon.

Nine out of 10 people responded by gawping or waving at him, and half responded verbally – more often men than women. But there was a big difference between men and women in the nature of their responses. Men made more gags than women, and their jokes tended to be more aggressive.

Typical of the remarks was "Lost your wheel?", "Hey, do you know you have only got one wheel?" and "Couldn't you afford the other wheel?" Women tended to make encouraging, praising comments, in contrast to the men, who jeered.

Two-thirds of the comic responses from the men referred to the number of wheels and the level of aggressiveness was highest in younger age groups.

While young boys under 10 reacted with curiosity, teenagers would shout at him and try to get him to fall off. Older teenagers reacted with disparaging jokes, and young men in cars, at the peak of their virility, were particularly aggressive.

This evolved into what Professor Shuster describes as adult male humour – "repetitive, humorous, verbal put-downs, concealing a latent aggression". But the jokes diminished with age, with waning testosterone levels, as older men responded more neutrally.

Women were much more likely to praise his skill and show concern for his safety. The female response was subdued during puberty and the late teens, and then evolved into the more laudatory and concerned adult female response.

Writing in the British Medical Journal, Professor Shuster said: "The initial aggressive intent channelled the verbal response into a contrived but more subtle and sophisticated joke, in which aggression is concealed by wit. This shows how the aggression that leads to humour eventually becomes separated from it as wit, jokes and other comic forms which then take on a life of their own."

Ha ha ha

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Talib_Rayhan
12-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Interesting... I wonder, Is this now scientific fact or the opinion of one doctor?

chacha_jalebi
12-23-2007, 11:28 PM
lol @drs
go and do your job instead of makin up theories :D

sapphirine
12-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Is it truly because of hormones or is it because of society??? It's well known that women have a higher threshold for pain (childbearing is PAINFUL!) but we're more likely to cry than men are when we're hurt. Is it because its acceptable for women to cry in the eyes of society than it is for men?

likewise - women are expected to be sweet and gentle in nature and men are brash and more aggressive. we all know there are some deviations - women can be really cruel and men can be really sweet.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
12-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Assalam o Allikum
wouldnt this also prove men are more 'dafter' than women? - no offence guys :p , i just find it rather ammusing how this guy decided to do this experiment on a unicycle.

al_islam
12-24-2007, 11:29 PM
LOL

Well I go mad, but i make more sense !

snakelegs
12-25-2007, 01:55 AM
Professor Shuster based his conclusion on the reactions he provoked while pedalling round his home town. He realised that the huge number of stereoptypical and predictable responses he got revealed an underlying biological phenomenon.
sounds completely unscientific to me. i find it hard to believe that a medical journal would've published this stuff.
that smart a$$ remarks might be connected to testosterone is more believable but i don't think it necessarily means anything about humour in general.

Muslim Knight
12-25-2007, 04:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
sounds completely unscientific to me. i find it hard to believe that a medical journal would've published this stuff.
that smart a$$ remarks might be connected to testosterone is more believable but i don't think it necessarily means anything about humour in general.
I think you miss the whole point here. It is exactly the joke!

Academic humor.

snakelegs
12-25-2007, 04:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight

Academic humor.
duh....i sure did! :embarrass :uuh: ;D
there's a Good Excuse around here somewhere....

Malaikah
12-25-2007, 09:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Knight
:sl:

I think I'm still missing something... :?

You're not alone snakelegs...

Nájlá
12-25-2007, 10:40 AM
i still cant found the whole point about it. but can i tell u something i go mad more than some men do.... as someone said womens can be mad and men could be sweet. this is totally correct

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.