/* */

PDA

View Full Version : is it wrong to pray for a non-muslim?

ikaj
12-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Is it wrong to pray for a non-muslim to convert to islam.

In surah Al-KafirĂșn it says:

"Walaa ana 'aabidun maa 'abadttum
Walaa antum 'aabiduuna maa a'abud
Lakmu deenukum wa liya deen"

ie.
"And I will not worship that which ye have been wont to worship.
Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
To you be your way, and to me mine. "

I have been in a relationship with a non-muslim but recently I am becoming religious. I realize I can not be with this person because he is not a muslim. I pray that he'll convert. Is it wrong to pray that he'll convert so that I can have a future with him?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-27-2007, 09:31 PM
:salamext:

There are many verses in the Qur'an which state that we should call people to Islam;

Qur'an 16:125 -

Call unto the way of your Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching and reason with them in the best manner. Verily your Lord knows best who has strayed from His path and and best knows He as to who are the rightly-guided.

That's just one example. What is forbidden is to force people to accept Islam since a person can only do that willingly. One of the best ways to help a person become Muslim is by giving them some trustworthy sites or material which will help them draw closer to Islam, and to ask them, aswell as pray for their guidance.

The Messenger of Allah, said, Allaah said (translation of the meaning):

“O My slaves, all of you are astray except those whom I guide, so ask Me for guidance, and I will guide you. O My slaves, all of you are hungry except those whom I feed, so ask me for food and I will feed you. O My slaves, all of you are naked except those whom I clothe, so ask Me for clothing and I will clothe you. … O My slaves, if the first of you and the last of you, your humans and your jinn, were to stand on a single plain and ask of Me and I were to give each one what he asked for, that would not cause any loss to Me greater than what is lost when a needle is dipped into the sea.”

Narrated by Muslim (2577).

The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: Allah the Almighty said:

I am as My servant thinks I am (1). I am with him when he makes mention of Me. If he makes mention of Me to himself, I make mention of him to Myself; and if he makes mention of Me in an assembly, I make mention of him in an assemble better than it. And if he draws near to Me an arm's length, I draw near to him a fathom's length. And if he comes to Me walking, I go to him at speed.

(1) Another possible rendering of the Arabic is: "I am as My servant expects Me to be". The meaning is that forgiveness and acceptance of repentance by the Almighty is subject to His servant truly believing that He is forgiving and merciful. However, not to accompany such belief with right action would be to mock the Almighty.

It was related by al-Buhkari (also by Muslim, at-Tirmidhi and Ibn-Majah).

Here's some useful sites;

http://beconvinced.com

http://islamreligion.com

http://islam-guide.com

MustafaMc
12-27-2007, 10:31 PM
No, it is not wrong to pray for the guidance of unbelievers while they are living. I prayed for my wife's guidance many times before she finally became a Muslim. I also pray for the rest of my family as none except me and my wife are Muslims in my family. It is wrong, however, to pray for the forgiveness of someone who has already died as an unbeliever.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.