/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Qur'an 3:7

AlmarScump
12-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Dear forum visitors and members:

This is my first post. I have been offered a contact in a Gulf country, so, I decided to learn more about the religion and culture of this country. Among the tasks I decided to undertake, was reading the Qur'an in full. I got a very user-friendly freeware (Qur'an Reader 2.8) and also have a hard-copy given to me as a present from one of my co-workers.

Here is the thing: comparing these translations, I happened to stumble upon this curious thing (the bold types are, of course, mine):

Transl. A:

[3:7] He sent down to you this scripture, containing straightforward verses - which constitute the essence of the scripture - as well as multiple-meaning or allegorical verses. Those who harbor doubts in their hearts will pursue the multiple-meaning verses to create confusion, and to extricate a certain meaning. None knows the true meaning thereof except GOD and those well founded in knowledge. They say, "We believe in this - all of it comes from our Lord." Only those who possess intelligence will take heed.

Transl. B:

[3:7] It is He Who has sent down to you (Muhammad SAW) the Book (this Qur'ân). In it are Verses that are entirely clear, they are the foundations of the Book [and those are the Verses of Al-Ahkâm (commandments, etc.), Al-Farâ'id (obligatory duties) and Al-Hudud (legal laws for the punishment of thieves, adulterers, etc.)]; and others not entirely clear. So as for those in whose hearts there is a deviation (from the truth) they follow that which is not entirely clear thereof, seeking Al-Fitnah (polytheism and trials, etc.), and seeking for its hidden meanings, but none knows its hidden meanings save Allâh. And those who are firmly grounded in knowledge say: "We believe in it; the whole of it (clear and unclear Verses) are from our Lord." And none receive admonition except men of understanding. (Tafsir At-Tabarî).

I don't know if I am too picky a reader, but it looks to me that translation A states that in fact, "those well grounded in knowledge" DO know the true meaning of the Qur'an, together with Allah, wereas the second translation, B, states that NONE (not even those "firmly grounded in knowledge") knows the "hidden meanings" except Allah himself.

On the basis of my still every imperfect knowledge of the Arabic language I tried to look into the original verse for a clue, but the verb "they say" appears without a pronoun (as is normal in Spanish and Romanian as well) so, it is hard to say where the dot should be.

I was told that the placement of this dot is a big issue between Shi'a and Sunni scholars... but I would settle for something way simpler, if anybody competent enough could help me out here: what's the meaning of this verse?? DO some people know the hidden meanings of the Qur'an, or DOESN'T anybody but Allah?

Thanks,

An nou fericit! Almar Scump

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
alcurad
01-01-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm not really that knowledgable but I'll tell you what I do know.
many interpretations have been given,some say the allegorical ones are the 'huroof' at the beginning at some chapters like alif lam meem, or qaaf and so on, here it'll probably be that no one but allah knoes their meaning. Others state that its the verses that were replaced by other verses, like the one forbidding drink only when prayer time came, and if a person were drunk then, he couldnt pray until he sobered. Then gradually this was replaced by verses that banned drinking entirely.Here it would be that allah as well as some people who are well grounded in knowledge know.

- Qatada -
01-01-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey.

Yeah, like brother alcurad stated.

There are some words in the Qur'an which no-one knows their meaning except Allah, for example Alif-Laam-Raa, Qaaf, Haa-Meem etc. Only Allah knows their meaning and no-one else.

Verses similar to these are the Mutashaabihat verses, and they need clarification. Many verses like this are not too clear and require explanation, and these are the types of verses many of the heterodox sects have tried to use throughout our Islamic history to make people doubt the true guidance of Allah, the Messenger of God and the way of his companions.

Then their are other types of verses [the Muhkamat] which require the people of knowledge (the scholars); for example rulings related to inheritance, the ruling of whether one is permitted to pray while in a state of intoxication etc. These verses are clear in meaning, but require people of knowledge to find conclusions from the verses and ahadith which are given. It requires Fiqh [understanding], this is why we have scholars of Fiqh, some famous ones include Abu Hanifah, Malik ibn Anas, Ash-Shafi'ie, Ahmad ibn Hanbal, Al-Awza'iee etc.

The people who have knowledge say that all of the Qur'an is from our Lord, even if we do not understand certain parts of it clearly due to our limited knowledge on the issue. We believe in all of it, the whole of it is from our Lord.

For more info;
http://tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=3&tid=7700

And Allah knows best.

Mazhara
02-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Knowledge of visible and invisible: آيات محكمات اور آيات متشابهاتBeginning is with the Personal Name of Allah, الرَّحْمٰنِ {Ar Rehman} Who is Most Merciful.
اللہ تعالیٰ کے نام الرحمٰن سےابتدا ہے جو سب سے زیادہ رحم کرنے والا ہے

السلام عليكم
It is a matter of common perception that knowledge proceeds from the cognition/introduction of things, i.e. knowing/listening their name/code and seeing its dimensions through the faculty of vision. It moves further to know the relationship between the things and to know the hidden/inner of the thing not visible to human eye.

The knowledge about the hidden/non visible is communicated through metaphor. Knowledge about physical sciences is conveyed by assigning hidden/invisible things metaphorical names.

Grand Quran has in the same manner taught knowledge to the people, it has verses which are simple and plain injunctions, with no metaphor, to guide the humanity on the right path, and these verses are the essence of the Book, i.e. the purpose of the Book to serve as a Guide. There are verses other than these which describe the knowledge of the matter/universe through metaphors.

Pl keep reading….MORE
http://haqeeqat.org.pk/book_6/19/slides/2.html
Arrow keys can be used for next and previous page. On the top left side link one can go to the main page to see all the topics included in the book. Title page is worth reading, InshaAllah you will find it informative and revealing
Thanks for reading. If you agree and liked this Article, please tell and discuss with friends in pursuance of the only advice of Last Messenger {SAW}:
قُلۡ إِنَّمَآ أَعِظُكُم بِوَٲحِدَةٍۖ أَن تَقُومُواْ لِلَّهِ مَثۡنَىٰ وَفُرَٲدَىٰ ثُمَّ تَتَفَڪَّرُواْۚ
Say, "I {Muhammad} advise you people with one advice; that find time for Allah in two’s or individually and thereafter reflect to know the purpose of things" {Refer 34:46}

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.