/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Law Students

kitten
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
:sl:

So I thought I'd start a thread on what the pros and cons are of studying for an LLB (Law) here in the UK.

I'm a 'mature' student, I've been to uni before but decided to change my course from English Lit to law ..so I do know whats expected at Uni..
But I'd love to hear how Law students are finding it...Even if your a law graduate, Id love to hear from you. :)

What modules did you enjoy/hate?
How much workload is there?
That sort of thing or anything else you want to share.

Id really appreciate it.

jazakaAllah in advance

:)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kitten
01-08-2008, 12:59 PM

15 views and no reply? :uuh:

XRUHYX
01-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Sis I have only started law course at Open University and finding it alright (not worked on it much yet though :hmm: ) but inshallah everyone thing should go as Allah planned. However I am finding this downloading DVD etc on my computer a bit confusing.

I would also love to hear from people doing Law courses and even better if they are studying at Open University! as I am having trouble figuring out where or how to star and my first coursework due in date it is 22nd Feb I think!

Jazak Allahu Khayr in advance :D

P.S I think i have made a whole new thread in pursuing to reply to this one!!! :giggling:

kitten
01-15-2008, 11:03 AM

I was thinking about open uni for Law.But hm Im not one to study well without much guidance and pestering..which I assume open uni courses are like

lol
no?

And what about mooting? Will you be able to take part in that too?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
01-15-2008, 11:18 AM
I need to go in a bit to finish off some Civil Litigation stuff.

Quick rundown of the basic stages of legal education:

LLB - it's okay, it's very academic (obviously). You learn about the history of the law, landmark cases which illustrate or create legal principles, statutes etc. You will be able to moot - there's an ongoing inter-university mooting competition, as well as one for client interviewing. There might also be chances for Pro Bono work, depending on the uni. Overall, it's fine if you do the work when you get it, read around the subject, etc. Don't stress yourself out over it, but do take pride in it, have a passion about it.

LPC - Legal Practice Course, the route you will take at post-graduate level if you wish to become a solicitor. It is very, very intense, and very practical, and very different from the undergraduate LLB degree since it is more about application of legal principles, rather than merely comprehension of them - it is training. You'll be able to do advocacy and client interviewing, as well as participating in Pro Bono work if the university offers it. You'll learn a lot about civil procedure; conveyancing; business law; and criminal procedure. You'll also be able to study electives of your choice, but naturally what electives are on offer depend on the university.

BVC - Bar Vocational Course. This is the route you will take at post-graduate level if you wish to become a barrister. I can't comment on it in too much depth since I'm not on that course, but judging from my BVC mates, you do a heck of a lot of advocacy and there are time pressures. So it's very practical in nature, which might be difficult to adjust to after undergrad work.

praying4jannah
01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
ooo im also looking to go into law at uni. lol im abit young.. 1st year of college.. but im pretty sure i want to go in2 law. does ne1 recommend ne good unis in london or near , for studying law? also.. obviously im expecting it too be very challenging, but isit REALLLY stressfull as some people say??

Ummah
10-01-2008, 01:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by praying4jannah
ooo im also looking to go into law at uni. lol im abit young.. 1st year of college.. but im pretty sure i want to go in2 law. does ne1 recommend ne good unis in london or near , for studying law? also.. obviously im expecting it too be very challenging, but isit REALLLY stressfull as some people say??
dont know about which unis are best in london. i suggest you follow the guardian league tables... others on the forum may know better!

If you are good at keeping on-top of things, i.e. organised then go for it. the LL.B isn't difficult as long as you do what they tell you to do! seriously just follow closely how your tutors tell you study and you'll be fine!
Prepare yourself for lots and lots and lots of reading though!
And a good memory is useful!!

the LPC is where things get tough. the topics are not difficult to grasp because its merely a shift from theory-based learning to procedural-based. however its the content/workload which is the killer!!! you are expected to give up your social life completely! you will spend around 3-5 hours at the law school in lessons, and then the rest of your day must be spent consolidating everything you learn that day and preparing for your next tutorials. each tutorial requires around 3hours of study.
assessments will be looming over you within the first month
and dont be fooled into thinking a law-school offering 'open book assessments' is any easier....there's no diffierence!

but dont let that put u off! if you enjoy law, you will manage. nobody will set examinations that are impossible to pass! If you go to a good law school like BPP, College of Law or Nottingham law school you will be given enough prep-work to make you fully prepared for any assessments. As long as you remain committed to your study time (your tutors will always tell you how much you should be doing) and as long as you ALWAYS PREPARE for your tutorials............you'll be fine inshAllah!!

im doing my LPC at the moment and am quite stressed! i find myself surfing the interner more than i should be! but i seem to be in the same boat as everyone else on my course lol. Im also on the Pro Bono scheme which is an 'extra curricular' voluntary project where you act as legal advisors under the supervision of real solicitors to advise real clients.......fun!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.