PDA

View Full Version : Meet a real life blue man

جوري
01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Real-life ‘Blue Guy’ shrugs off his skin color

Man ingested silver compound as home remedy, but had strange side effect

updated 10:41 a.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 7, 2008
Paul Karason gives new meaning to the phrase “feeling blue.”

The auburn-bearded 57-year-old Californian goes through life being stared at and being hailed as “Papa Smurf” because his skin is the color of a ripe Concord grape.

“I’m the blue guy,” he confirmed with a chuckle to TODAY co-host Matt Lauer in Studio 1A on Monday.

“It’s everywhere I go,” he said of the stares his skin color attracts. “I’ve gotten kind of used to it. I’m rather inured to it.”

Karason’s skin started turning blue nearly 10 years ago when he used a used a silver preparation to treat a bad case of dermatitis on his face that broke out due to stress when his father died.

Reclusive by nature, he became a public story about six months ago when he moved from Oregon to Madera, Calif., explaining that he wanted to live in a place where people were more accepting of his unusual condition.

“I do tend to avoid people in some ways, but then I always did. I’ve always been sort of reclusive,” he told Lauer. “This change in skin color has obviously brought on scrutiny that I would never ordinarily have experienced.”

With him was his girlfriend, Jackie Northrup, who met Karason on the phone and came to love him for his warm and caring nature. When she finally met him in person, it was a revelation.

“It was a shock initially,” she said of seeing him for the first time. “But I already knew the person that I had been talking to, so I really didn’t see the blue. He’s an incredible person.”

She said that Karason is living proof that what matters is a person’s character, not his or her appearance.

Don’t try this at home
The condition he has is called argyria, and NBC’s chief medical editor, Dr. Nancy Snyderman, said it’s caused by the silver that Karason used to treat his dermatitis and has been drinking in a liquid form called colloidal silver on and off for some 14 years.

Colloidal silver is a suspension of silver in a liquid base — in this case, distilled water. Karason makes it himself by running an electrical current through water with a piece of silver in it, a process called electrolysis.

Silver has antibacterial properties and has been used to fight infection for thousands of years. But it went out of use when penicillin, which is far more effective, was developed.

It continued to be used in some over-the-counter medicines until 1999, when the FDA banned it because it causes argyria, which is a result of the silver reacting with light the same way it does in photography. The silver collects in the skin and other organs and does not dissipate.

Silver is a heavy metal and doctors say it can collect in the organs and cause kidney and liver damage and even brain seizures. But it is still sold as a dietary supplement.

Karason, who seems the picture of health, said he feels just fine. But the irony is that the silver he put on his face did not cure his dermatitis, although it did reduce the inflammation where his skin was cracked and peeling. But he had started drinking colloidal silver several years earlier after seeing a magazine ad for it. The ad said it was effective against a broad range of medical conditions — claims that the FDA says are not substantiated.

“I did it all on my own,” Karason said. “Originally, I just saw an ad for a colloidal silver generator in a magazine and the picture stuck in my head like a song might stick in your head. I had a friend who had severe petroleum poisoning, and I heard colloidal silver was helpful for that, and that’s how I started.”

Lauer asked Karason why, if the silver did not cure his dermatitis, he keeps taking it. “Because of some profound benefits that I had received from using it, like no more acid reflux, no more sinus troubles; my arthritis went away,” he said.

“I think it’s fair to say that the color you see on the outside is the same color on the inside,” Snyderman said. “Doctors are always concerned because silver is a heavy metal. It can damage internal organs like liver and kidneys. Paul and I look at this very, very differently. I come from the medical community and Paul looks at the medical establishment askew.”

Snyderman said she would not endorse anyone taking colloidal silver.

“It’s not something I recommend because there’s no science behind it,” she said. “I worry about the safety, and the FDA has been very strong in saying there’s no reason to take it.”

She added that Karason’s case of the blues is permanent. Even if he stops taking silver solutions, his skin color will not return to normal.

Karason has said that he had his blood tested for heavy metal content 10 years ago and was told he doesn’t have a problem. He has not returned to a doctor for a second test, and Snyderman and Lauer tried to get him to promise to be checked for liver and kidney function.

“Maybe,” Karason said, “but not right now.”

Nor does he intend to stop drinking his silver cocktails.

“I might not be able to levitate anymore,” he quipped..
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/22536241/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Mikayeel
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
salam, oeff strange!!, the strangest i have seen a skin colour was a pink(real pink!) guy, back in sudan when i was on holiday. can i ask u PurestAmbrosia are you a medic? or what have u studied mashallah.

------
01-08-2008, 07:09 PM
:salamext:

:ooh: Okay....

al_islam
01-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Wow,

What exactly caused the side effects ?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
The Ruler
01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
If the thing has altered his genes, I warn you people of the upcoming "blue babies".

Well, there's a possiblity *shrug*

:w:

جوري
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
didn't alter his genes, this is a mere deposition of color in his tissues and skin, it happens on several other medications as well not just ingestion of silver.. meds like amiodarone can do the same thing..

جوري
01-08-2008, 07:20 PM
by the way there is such a thing as blue babies, but that is a whole other set of conditions all together, a topic for another day and another thread..

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
01-08-2008, 07:23 PM
:sl:
Wow... after reading this i had to go search it on youtube.. lol
JazakAllahu for sharing such an intresting article!

Zarmina
01-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Wow, a real life smurf. :)

Just kidding.

Malaikah
01-09-2008, 07:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
by the way there is such a thing as blue babies, but that is a whole other set of conditions all together, a topic for another day and another thread..

That's the one with the blood factor R-something (forgot the name), right? Effects the second born, never first born, if mum and dad are different (+/-)?

Tania
01-09-2008, 07:56 AM
But his health its not damaged because of what he drunk :?

Dr.Trax
01-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Hmmmmm!A blue skin...interesting.I have one friend who's skin is White, his entire body is white.And that disease is called Vitiligo!:hmm:

Muslim Knight
01-09-2008, 11:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

That's the one with the blood factor R-something (forgot the name), right? Effects the second born, never first born, if mum and dad are different (+/-)?
Rhesus factor? From Rhesus monkeys. I learned about this in biology class in school, but hardly mentions anything about blue-colored babies.

On the side note, this looks much more like R.A. Salvatore's Dark Elf trilogy thingie.

جوري
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
No dear sis, it has nothing to do with Rh factor, rather cyanotic congenital heart disease, which needs to be corrected, things like, tetralogy offFallot or complete transposition of the great, or in mostly right to left shunts...

Anyhow, there is something called gray baby syndrome, which is another story for another topic and another day, unless someone asks?..

moral of the story is, if you see discolored folks out there, greet them, they are not from the beyond, many things cause discoloration of the skin, even food, a person may get hypercarotenemia (yellow-to-orange skin color) just by eating too much carrots or food rich in beta carotene..

جوري
01-09-2008, 04:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dr.Trax
Hmmmmm!A blue skin...interesting.I have one friend who's skin is White, his entire body is white.And that disease is called Vitiligo!:hmm:
yup, vitiligo causes de-pigmentation of the skin

micheal jackson claims he has that, but he doesn't.. he has BDD

good to note that caucasians can be afflicted with vitiligo, however, it doesn't show on them unless they go to the beach and tan, in which you can see the irregular borders and large patches where there is complete destruction of melanocytes..

Souljette
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Subhanallah i learnt alot from this thread WOW..

x-samia-x
01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
woah :O

wot about hair? did it affect the cells that produce pigment?

جوري
01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
But his health its not damaged because of what he drunk :?
it probably has and will.. heavy metal deposition in tissue, can cause a host of problems in major organs, really no different than hemochromatosis or hemosiderosis, but that too is an expansive topic, if a person wants to read of them, they may simply stick the words noted here in google and see what they are and how they affect phyisiological function..

cheers

جوري
01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by x-samia-x
woah :O

wot about hair? did it affect the cells that produce pigment?
Are you asking of vitiligo or argyria? either way both conditions can affect melanin in the hair, but no disease affects two people in a text book style pathophysiology or etiology.. here is another unfortunate man with argyria and as you can see it affects even his sclerae (whites of his eyes)

Malaikah
01-10-2008, 01:30 AM
micheal jackson claims he has that, but he doesn't.. he has BDD

How do you know he doesn't have it?

جوري
01-10-2008, 01:50 AM
vitiligo is unpredictable, but it is usually a dz. of slow progression, and may stabilize.. I judged based on his history and the period of time when he emerged fully white. I can't say with certainty that he doesn't have vitiligo. but, given his cosmetic surgery history alone and the way he covers half his face, his symptoms seem more in concert with body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) than vitiligo..

truemuslim
01-10-2008, 02:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamada
salam, oeff strange!!, the strangest i have seen a skin colour was a pink(real pink!) guy, back in sudan when i was on holiday. can i ask u PurestAmbrosia are you a medic? or what have u studied mashallah.
pink is normal... blue isnt... here in the u.s... we walk around seeing a million pink and red people...(white boys in the winter..lol)

truemuslim
01-10-2008, 02:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dr.Trax
lol white isnt that interesting either but yeah... pink and white people here are all over... :w:

i kno... the horror...

Tania
01-10-2008, 12:02 PM
it probably has and will.. heavy metal deposition in tissue, can cause a host of problems in major organs,
In this case he should have search for other treatment of his issue. Now he damaged more his health, instead of fixing it :-[

AvarAllahNoor
01-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Smurf?

ranma1/2
01-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Real-life ‘Blue Guy’ shrugs off his skin color

Man ingested silver compound as home remedy, but had strange side effect

updated 10:41 a.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 7, 2008
Paul Karason gives new meaning to the phrase “feeling blue.”

The auburn-bearded 57-year-old Californian goes through life being stared at and being hailed as “Papa Smurf” because his skin is the color of a ripe Concord grape.

“I’m the blue guy,” he confirmed with a chuckle to TODAY co-host Matt Lauer in Studio 1A on Monday.

i remember watching about a woman that had the same thing happen to her.

جوري
01-10-2008, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
In this case he should have search for other treatment of his issue. Now he damaged more his health, instead of fixing it :-[
that is why people should seek medical attention and not home remedy, I sincerely mean that for all cases, people would be so much better off getting a professional opinion than wasting years and loads of money on over the counter products and quack concoctions without dr. or pharmacist supervision... then don't know whom to sue when they discover the cough med they are taking is interacting with their blood pressure medicine or whatever else...

peace

HaYa-MiD gIrL
01-21-2008, 12:31 PM
oh my god! horrible man!
praise be to my god...that we are not as this one!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.