/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Did you know..some Arab tribes did not use laam at-ta3reef?

IceQueen~
01-08-2008, 06:16 PM
:sl: Quite interesting subhanAllah- I came across something:

Some Arab tribes didn't use to use laam at-ta3reef? (the laam of definition in ال)
Instead they used to use the letter meem م so instead of saying for example الكتاب they would say امكتاب.

The Prophet (saw) used to talk to each tribe in their own type of dialect which is where the hadith comes in, in which he (saw) said:
ليس من امبر امصيام في امسفر to one of these such tribes in place of ليس من البر الصيام في السفر.

('It is not from piety that you fast while on a journey')

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Sob7an Allah
the prophet SAW always encouraged to address people with the best manner always using language they can understand, so I am not surprised with this at all, although it is the first I have heard of it..
Jazaki Allah khyran

:w:

Mikayeel
01-08-2008, 06:43 PM
uhmm, this dialect died out didnt it? because no arab country speaks in that way, would be funny if they did:P, nice find interesting to know

amirah_87
01-08-2008, 07:35 PM
:sl:

MashaAllaah..

The Lughah in which the "Am" replaces the Alif-laam is Himyariyyah / حميرية spoken by the people of Himyar. This Lughah originated from Yemen after the kingdom of Saba' had fallen. And from what my teacher told me some people still speak it till this day.

However the Hadith (Hadith Jabir bin 'Abdillaah: ليس من امبر امصيام في امسفر ) in this lafdh is weak, wallaahu a'lam.

There are other Shawaahid Shi'riyyah like the bayt;

و ان مولاي ذو يعاتبني *** لا احنة عنده و لاجرمه

ينصرني منك غير معتذر *** يرمي ورائي بامسهم و امسلمه

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Faye
07-09-2008, 01:59 AM
While this is not directly related to this, I heard somewhere that hamza, as prononced in the Quran (with tahqeeq), did not exist in the common language of the Quraysh. They used to pronounce it with tasheel only (replacing it with its vowel). So b'ir (meaning: well) was wrong and beer used to be right.

north_malaysian
07-10-2008, 01:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Faye
While this is not directly related to this, I heard somewhere that hamza, as prononced in the Quran (with tahqeeq), did not exist in the common language of the Quraysh. They used to pronounce it with tasheel only (replacing it with its vowel). So b'ir (meaning: well) was wrong and beer used to be right.
I knew about this - mu'min became moomin...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.