PDA

View Full Version : Imam Praying Too Fast



abdulrahman114
01-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

Our regular, professional imam is out of town and the replacement imams pray too fast. I'll still be standing there reciting Fatiha in the last rakah and the rest of them go into ruku. That's just an example. What am I supposed to do when this happens? I don't know about anyone else, but I like to take my time when I'm praying.

Abdur-Rahman
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MaiCarInMtl
01-08-2008, 08:35 PM
The simplest thing to do would be to ask him if he can slow down a bit (this before or after, take him aside - don't say it in front of everyone). I think that would be acceptable, but then again, some people are sensitive to any forms of criticism (constructive or otherwise).
Reply

truemuslim
01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
oh ask him if u can be an imam... much better. lol jk only if u want to. but i would just ask him to slow down just like ^^ said. :w:
Reply

abdulrahman114
01-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Assalaamu alaykum,

What do I do if in the middle of the salat they go into the next position I'm not ready for yet? Do I just go along with them? Do I have to make anything up?

Abdur-Rahman
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
جوري
01-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I have heard a similar story the other day in regard to friday prayer, I must say I am astounded by how helpless some Muslims feel in face of someone who have no sovereignty over you.. it is good to correct another Muslim akhi
I don't have a volume or hadith number for story I am about to tell someone else may verify it if they are read in the bukharis and Muslim

two young men were washing up for ablution when they noticed an elderly brother doing it all wrong, instead of being harsh and showing off what they know that at his age and staus should have, they approached him and decided to ask him if he can teach them how to make ablution, well as he was doing it, one of them said, is this how you do it? because I thought you start with this first, in which case he showed him the correct way. The elderly man understood what they were trying to do and thanked them, nobody's feelings were hurt.. what I suggest you do is either walk up to him and ask him how he is making raka3a because you can't seem to catch up and wondering if you are approaching prayer all wrong..

he will either correct that problem, especially if there is more than one complaint or just continue on the primrose path, in which case I don't know what would stop one of you to lead in prayer? my brother leads in prayer and gives khutbas all the time, and so does my brother in law, it just requirs some dedication and research not an impossible feat...

:w:
Reply

PersianPrince
01-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
I have heard a similar story the other day in regard to friday prayer, I must say I am astounded by how helpless some Muslims feel in face of someone who have no sovereignty over you.. it is good to correct another Muslim akhi
I don't have a volume or hadith number for story I am about to tell someone else may verify it if they are read in the bukharis and Muslim

two young men were washing up for ablution when they noticed an elderly brother doing it all wrong, instead of being harsh and showing off what they know that at his age and staus should have, they approached him and decided to ask him if he can teach them how to make ablution, well as he was doing it, one of them said, is this how you do it? because I thought you start with this first, in which case he showed him the correct way. The elderly man understood what they were trying to do and thanked them, nobody's feelings were hurt.. what I suggest you do is either walk up to him and ask him how he is making raka3a because you can't seem to catch up and wondering if you are approaching prayer all wrong..

he will either correct that problem, especially if there is more than one complaint or just continue on the primrose path, in which case I don't know what would stop one of you to lead in prayer? my brother leads in prayer and gives khutbas all the time, and so does my brother in law, it just requirs some dedication and research not an impossible feat...

:w:
I love this explenation. Islam does teach some wonderful manners and methods of communication. I was going to ask brother abdulrahman114 if he could simply apologise to the Imam for *perhaps* being a little behind. The Imam will Insha'Allah apologise and offer to reduce his speed. The above quoted example above sounds brilliant...
Reply

abdulrahman114
01-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

What do I do in the middle of the salat when this happens? Say, perhaps, with a different imam. I have already discussed the issue with the imam in question. No offense, but what I was asking has been totally overlooked. Maybe I worded it wrong, and if so, please forgive me. I don't feel helpless with someone who doesn't have sovereignty over me. As stated, I have discussed the issue. My question is what do I do when this happens with different imams and such. I do not mean to take an offensive stand here. Please forgive my unclear wording in the original post.

Wassalaam,

Abdur-Rahman
Reply

جوري
01-09-2008, 02:02 AM
I don't know.. the best thing I would personally do is avoid going to a mosque that is subpar when it comes to the most basic of rituals.. I understand your question, you worded it correctly, the problem is, I can't understand why this should happen again? it is simply unacceptable, least of which from the man leading you in prayer...
1-I'd head the prayer myself
2-speak with the imam
3-have someone voice my concern if too shy to do it
4-find another place to make prayer all together!
but I wouldn't be caught with the same problem twice..

:w:
Reply

abdulrahman114
01-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Assalaamu alaykum,

Well, see, that's the thing. Our head imam, which is excellent to pray behind, went to Hajj and is also visiting relatives in his home country, and he isn't home yet (may Allah bring him home safely).

So, other people have been leading the prayer. And there is no masjid where I live, so I drive 50 some miles from where I live to pray Jumu'ah.

I really do apologise if I sounded nasty in that last thread. I certainly did not mean too.

Wassalaam,

Abdur-Rahman
Reply

truemuslim
01-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by abdulrahman114
Assalaamu alaykum,

What do I do in the middle of the salat when this happens? Say, perhaps, with a different imam. I have already discussed the issue with the imam in question. No offense, but what I was asking has been totally overlooked. Maybe I worded it wrong, and if so, please forgive me. I don't feel helpless with someone who doesn't have sovereignty over me. As stated, I have discussed the issue. My question is what do I do when this happens with different imams and such. I do not mean to take an offensive stand here. Please forgive my unclear wording in the original post.

Wassalaam,

Abdur-Rahman

sometimes i just go my own way while they pray (on eid prayer) but then i catch up, alot of people do the same too. :w:
Reply

جوري
01-09-2008, 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by abdulrahman114
Assalaamu alaykum,

Well, see, that's the thing. Our head imam, which is excellent to pray behind, went to Hajj and is also visiting relatives in his home country, and he isn't home yet (may Allah bring him home safely).

So, other people have been leading the prayer. And there is no masjid where I live, so I drive 50 some miles from where I live to pray Jumu'ah.

I really do apologise if I sounded nasty in that last thread. I certainly did not mean too.

Wassalaam,

Abdur-Rahman
:sl:
no need for apologies akhi..I am however sorry for your troubles..
there should be a wonderful feeling of community and unity during friday prayer..I hope you get that back soon insh'Allah
:w:
Reply

adeeb
01-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by abdulrahman114
Assalaamu alaykum,

What do I do if in the middle of the salat they go into the next position I'm not ready for yet? Do I just go along with them? Do I have to make anything up?

Abdur-Rahman
yes, of course, ready or not u have to follow imam, until the end of the prayer..


Imam is chosen, to be followed
:peace:
Reply

abdulrahman114
01-09-2008, 06:05 AM
Assalaamu alaykum adeeb,

Thank you for answering my question.

Wassalaam,

Abdur-Rahman
Reply

anatolian
01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Salam abdurrahman.Sometimes imams make the salah too fast because of the time problem of the jamaat.You just need to follow your imam.
Reply

Strzelecki
01-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I too have wondered the ruling on this, I normally followed due to observation [I know, probably not the best reason].
Thank you for clearing this up! :D
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 03:00 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 04:55 PM
  3. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 06:08 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-19-2007, 01:31 PM

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!