/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Gems Pearls of Wisdom of the Salaf

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

eesa the kiwi
07-15-2019, 09:25 PM
It is reported that:

ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn – Allāh have mercy on him – would sometimes ride to Makkah and return without entering it (meeting anyone there), and he used to sit with Aslam the freedman of ʿUmar (himself a scholar), so it was said to him, “You leave Quraysh, and instead sit with the slave of Banī ʿAdī!” So he replied, “A man [should] sit where he benefits.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar Aʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 4:388.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
eesa the kiwi
07-24-2019, 08:10 PM
We are a nation whom Allah has honored with Islam, and whenever we seek honor in something else, Allah will humiliate us."[Umar ibn Al-Khattab (r.a)]

eesa the kiwi
07-25-2019, 11:39 PM
It is reported that Muʿāwiyah b. Qurrah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Do not sit with the foolish using your knowledge, and do not sit with the knowledgeable (scholars) using your foolishness.

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar Aʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 5:154.

eesa the kiwi
07-26-2019, 10:02 PM
I Would Rather Sing a Song

It is reported that a man once came to Al-Shaʿbī – Allāh have mercy on him – and asked him about something, so he replied:

“Ibn Masʿūd used to say such-and-such [about this issue].” The man asked, “But tell me your opinion.” He replied, “Are you not all astonished by this man? I inform him of what Ibn Masʿūd [said] and he asks me my opinion. My religion is more important to me than that. By Allāh, I would rather sing a song than inform you of my opinion.”

Al-Dārimī, Al-Sunan ḥadīth 108.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
eesa the kiwi
07-28-2019, 12:13 AM
Is-haaq ibn Abi Israaeel said: I heard Sufyaan ibn `Uyainah (rahimahullah) saying:

“There is no blessing, which Allaah bestowed upon His slaves, better than what He taught them about “Laa ilaaha illAllaah” (There is no deity worthy of being worshiped except Allaah). For verily “Laa ilaaha illAllaah” for them in the Hereafter will be like how water is for the people of the Dunyaa.”

[Tahdheeb Al-Kamaal by Al-Mizzee (11/191)]

eesa the kiwi
08-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Al-Hasan Al-Basree:

“To endure short-lived difficulties that are followed by long lasting ease, is better than hurrying for a short-lived ease that is followed by ever-lasting hardship.”

eesa the kiwi
08-16-2019, 05:43 PM
It is reported that Al-Ḥasan Al-Baṣrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Whoever is happy (satisfied) with what Allāh has apportioned for him, it will suffice him and Allāh will bless it for him, but whoever is not satisfied, then [what is apportioned for him] will not suffice him and it will not be blessed.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Kitāb Al-Riḍā ʿan Allāh bi Qaḍāʾihi article 95.

eesa the kiwi
08-18-2019, 12:12 AM
It was said to Imam Ahmad (may Allah have mercy on him):

‘May Allah reward you for the good you have (done) for Islam.’

He said:

‘RATHER, ALLAH HAS (DONE) GOOD FOR ME THROUGH ISLAM. WHO AM I, AND WHAT AM I?’”

- Quoted by Imam Dhahabi in As-siyar a'lam an-nubala (11/225)

eesa the kiwi
08-18-2019, 06:52 PM
Jafar Al-Sadiq on Abu Bakr and Umar

It is reported from Sālim b. Abī Ḥafṣah:

I asked Abū Jaʿfar and his son Jaʿfar (Al-Ṣādiq) about Abū Bakr and ʿUmar, so he replied, “O Sālim, love and ally yourself with them, and dissociate yourself from their enemy, for they were imāms of guidance.” Then he said, “O Sālim, would a man revile his own grandfather? Abū Bakr is a grandfather of mine. May the intercession of Muḥammad ﷺ not reach me on the Day of Resurrection if I do not love and ally myself with them and disassociate from their enemy.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 6:258.

eesa the kiwi
08-19-2019, 09:21 PM
It is reported that ʿUmar b. Al-Khaṭṭāb – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

Do not expose yourself to what does not concern you, stay away from your enemy, beware of [taking as] your friend anyone except the trustworthy amongst people – and there is no one who is trustworthy except one who fears Allāh; and do not accompany the sinner in case you learn his sinfulness, and do not let him know your secrets, and consult those who fear Allāh for your affairs.

Ibn Abī Shaybah, Al-Muṣannaf 34476.

eesa the kiwi
08-22-2019, 08:01 PM
Abdullah Ibn al-Mubarak:

"One doesn't become noble with any type of knowledge if he doesn't beautify his knowledge with good conduct."

(Adab Shar'iyyah 4/208)

eesa the kiwi
08-23-2019, 06:55 PM
Abu Qulamah Al-Jirmi was an eminent Tabi'i and a distinguished Imam and jurist. He once said in a sermon:

"If you hear something that you do not like about your brother, then try your best to seek out an excuse for him. And if you do not find any excuse for him, then say: perhaps my brother has an excuse that I do not know about."

(Gems and Jewels, pg. 113)

eesa the kiwi
08-24-2019, 07:32 PM
It is reported that ʿAlī b. ʾAbī Ṭālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:Do not be with the sinner (fājir), for he will beautify to you the things he does, and he will want you to be like him; and he will beautify to you the worst of his practices; and his entrance upon you and leaving from your company will cause ignominy and discredit [of you].And do not accompany the fool (aḥmaq), for he will exhaust himself [to help you] but will not benefit you, and he may want to benefit you but end up harming you; his silence is better than his speaking, his distance is better than his closeness, and him dying is better than him living.And do not accompany the liar, for life will not benefit you with him, he will tell others what you say, and tell you what others say; and if you speak the truth, it will not be believed.Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir AlʿIlm no. 1379.

jameelash
08-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Truly said

eesa the kiwi
08-25-2019, 06:49 PM
Three qualities are from patience: Not speaking about your misfortune, your pain, and not praising yourself.~ Imam Sufyan Ath Thawree (may Allah have mercy on him)

eesa the kiwi
08-26-2019, 07:03 PM
I am surprised at three things:1. [A] man runs from death while death is inevitable. 2. One sees minor faults in others, yet overlooks his own major faults. 3. When there is any defect to one's cattle, he tries to cure it, but does not cure his own defects.~ Umar Ibn Al Khattab (radiyAllahu anhu)

eesa the kiwi
08-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Maymun b. Mihran Describes The Salaf He MetIt is reported that Maymūn b. Mihrān – Allāh have mercy on him – said:I have met men in front of whom I would be ashamed to speak, and I have met men who used to say nothing but the truth, or be silent. And I have met men who had never seen the sky properly, out of fear of their Lord.Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm article 2039.

eesa the kiwi
08-29-2019, 01:29 AM
It is reported that Yaḥyā b. Abī Kathīr – Allāh have mercy on him – said:It used to be said, “People have never honoured themselves with anything [better] than the obedience of Allāh, and they have never dishonoured themselves with anything [worse] than disobedience to Allāh.”Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Muḥāsabatu Al-Nafs article 98.

eesa the kiwi
08-30-2019, 08:59 PM
It is reported that Abū Ḥāzim Salamah b. Dīnār – Allāh have mercy on him – was once asked:“O Abū Ḥāzim, do you not see how prices have risen?” He replied, “And what is the worry? Verily, he (Allāh) who provides for us during deflation is the one who will provide for us during inflation.”Abū Nuʿaym, Ḥilyatu Al-ʾAwliyāʾ 3:239.

eesa the kiwi
08-31-2019, 11:24 PM
Worrying about the dunya (this world) is a darkness in the heart, while worrying about the akhirah (hereafter) is a light in the heart.~ Uthman ibn Affan (may Allah be pleased with him)

eesa the kiwi
09-17-2019, 02:47 AM
It is reported that ‘Abdullāh b. Mas’ūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

"This world (the dunyā) is [only taken as] a home by those who will have no real home [in Jannah], and it is the wealth of those who will have no real wealth, and it is gathered and collected for by those who have no real intelligence."

[Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dhamm Al-Dunyā article 16]

eesa the kiwi
09-17-2019, 07:07 PM
It was narrated from Thabit that Anas said:

"We were with Abu Moosa on a journey, and the people were talking and mentioning worldly matters. Abu Moosa said:

'0 Anas, these people are talking too much. Come, let us remember our Lord for a while.' Then he said: 'What slowed the people down (in pursuing matters of the hereafter)?' I said: 'Worldly matters, Satan and whims and desires.' He said:

'No, it is the fact that this world is close, and they can see it, while the hereafter is hidden from them. By Allah, if they could see it with their own eyes, they would not drift or turn away from it."'

- Tafseer al Qurtubi under the tafseer of verse 16 of Surat Al-'A'la

eesa the kiwi
09-24-2019, 07:25 AM
It is reported that Abū Ḥāzim Salamah b. Dīnār – Allāh have mercy on him – was once asked:

“O Abū Ḥāzim, do you not see how prices have risen?” He replied, “And what is the worry? Verily, he (Allāh) who provides for us during deflation is the one who will provide for us during inflation.”

Abū Nuʿaym, Ḥilyatu Al-ʾAwliyāʾ 3:239.

eesa the kiwi
09-24-2019, 07:06 PM
“The believer in this world is like a stranger: he does not become upset when it puts him down, and he does not compete for it to make him honorable. The people are in a certain state, and he is in another state: the people are relieved of him, and he is exhausted of himself.” - al-Hasan al-Basri

eesa the kiwi
10-10-2019, 04:49 AM
Maymun b. Mihran Describes The Salaf He MetIt is reported that Maymūn b. Mihrān – Allāh have mercy on him – said:I have met men in front of whom I would be ashamed to speak, and I have met men who used to say nothing but the truth, or be silent. And I have met men who had never seen the sky properly, out of fear of their Lord.Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm article 2039.

eesa the kiwi
10-10-2019, 05:38 PM
It is reported that Yaḥyā b. Abī Kathīr – Allāh have mercy on him – said:It used to be said, “People have never honoured themselves with anything [better] than the obedience of Allāh, and they have never dishonoured themselves with anything [worse] than disobedience to Allāh.”Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Muḥāsabatu Al-Nafs article 98.

eesa the kiwi
10-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Fudayl ibn `Iyad (rahimahullah) said, "A believer plants a palm tree and fears that thorns will grow. The hypocrites plant thorns expecting ripe dates to grow!"

eesa the kiwi
10-14-2019, 03:04 AM
Al Awza'i: Whoever remembers death often will find a small amount enough for him and whoever includes his speech in his deeds will speak little.

eesa the kiwi
10-28-2019, 06:42 AM
"The Dunya is worthless to its Lord, and yet it belongs to Him. So it's not right that you value it so much, and it's not even yours!" (Yahya b. Mu'adh, Hilyat'l-Awliya', 14549)

eesa the kiwi
10-31-2019, 03:16 AM

eesa the kiwi
11-01-2019, 12:19 AM
It is reported that Abu Al-ʿĀlyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:There are two blessings I have been blessed with, I know not which of them is greatest: that Allāh guided me to Islām, and that he did not make me a Ḥarūrī (from the Khawārij extremists).ʿAbd Al-Razzāq Al-Ṣanʿānī, Al-Muṣannaf ḥadīth 18667.

eesa the kiwi
11-01-2019, 10:07 PM
Abû Dardâ (radiyAllâhu ‘anhu) said, “From the completion of taqwâ is that the slave fears from his Lord even with regards to things the weight of an atom.”

eesa the kiwi
11-02-2019, 11:01 PM
It is reported that Al-Shaʿbī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Stay away from the sinful amongst the scholars and the ignorant amongst the worshippers, for these two are the calamity of everyone who would fall into fitnah.Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān ḥadīth 1753.

eesa the kiwi
11-03-2019, 10:16 PM
Whoever proposes to the world, then the world would not be satisfied until he gave up his Deen as dowry. [Malik bin Dinar]

eesa the kiwi
11-05-2019, 11:09 PM
The Correct Place of OpinionAl-Awzāʿī reports that Caliph ʿUmar b. ʿAbd Al-ʿAzīz – Allāh have mercy on him – wrote (in his orders):There is no place for anyone’s opinion [when it comes to] what is in the Book (revelation). The opinion of the imāms (great scholars) is only regarding what the Book did not come down with, and regarding which no Sunnah has passed from the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ. And the opinion of no one is counted in the face of a Sunnah from the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ.Al-Ājurrī, Al-Sharīʿah #113 et al.

eesa the kiwi
11-07-2019, 12:01 AM
The Reality of Dhikr and Fear of AllahIt is reported that Saʿīd b. Jubayr – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Verily, fear (al-khashyah) is that you fear Allāh such that your fear comes between you and your disobedience (of Allāh). That is khashyah. And dhikr (remembrance) is obedience to Allāh: whoever obeys Allāh has remembered Him; and whoever does not obey Him is not a rememberer of Him, even if he says a lot of tasbīḥ and recites a lot of Qurān.Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 4:326.

eesa the kiwi
11-11-2019, 10:03 PM
Verily my happiness is my Iman; and verily, my Iman is in my heart; and verily, my heart does not belong to anyone but Allah - Asmaa Bint Abi Bakr

eesa the kiwi
11-13-2019, 12:26 AM
The Best Things a Person Can be GivenIt is reported from Ḥabīb Al-Jallāb that he asked ʿAbdullāh b. Al-Mubārak – Allāh have mercy on him:“What is the best thing a person is ever given?” He replied, “Innate intelligence.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “Good conduct.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “A compassionate brother to consult.” He then asked, “And if not that?” He replied, “Long silence.” He asked, “And if not that?” Ibn Al-Mubārak replied, “Then an early death.”Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 8:397.

eesa the kiwi
11-16-2019, 05:19 AM
It is reported that Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said to Yūnus b. Yazīd:O Yūnus! Do not try to overcome knowledge, for verily knowledge is [like vast] valleys: whichever of them you take will stop you before you traverse it. Instead, take it over the days and nights. And do not take knowledge all at once, for whoever tries to take it all at once will lose it all at once. Rather take it bit by bit over the days and nights.Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiʿ Bayān Al-ʿIlm article 652.

eesa the kiwi
11-16-2019, 08:18 PM
It is reported that Abū Al-Dardāʾ – Allāh be pleased with him – said:When you adorn your copies of the Qurān and embellish your mosques, destruction will be upon you.Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqāʾiq, article 746. Shaykh Al-Albānī stated that the chain of transmission of this narration consists of reliable reporters, except he did not know if the reporter Bakr b. Suwādah had heard directly from Abū Al-Dardāʾ. The narration corroborates a similar ḥadīth reported from the Prophet ﷺ himself. See Al-Ṣaḥīḥah ḥadīth 1351.

eesa the kiwi
11-17-2019, 11:23 PM
How to Look at Yourself and OthersIt is reported that Bakr b. ʿAbdillāh Al-Muzanī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:When you see someone older than you, say: he has preceded me in īmān and righteous actions so he is better than me; and when you see someone younger than you, say: I have preceded him in sinning and disobedience so he is better than me. And when you see your brothers honouring and revering you, say: this is a virtue they have attained; and when you see them falling short (in their treatment of you) say: this is [because of] a sin I committed.Ibn Al-Jawzī, Ṣifatu Al-Ṣafwah, article 505: Bakr b. ʿAbdillāh Al-Muzanī.

eesa the kiwi
11-19-2019, 02:17 AM
We Take Our Religion from the CompanionsʿAbbād b. Al-ʿAwwām narrates:Sharīk b. ʿAbdillāh came to us around fifty years ago, and we said to him, “O Abū ʿAbdillāh, here amongst us there are people from the Muʿtazilah who reject these āḥādīth [like]: ‘Allāh descends to the lowest heaven’, and ‘the people of Jannah will see their Lord’. So Sharīk narrated to me around ten such narrations, then said: ‘As for us, we have taken our religion from the sons of the Tābiʿīn, from the Ṣaḥābah. Who have they taken from?’”Al-Ḏahabī, Al-ʿUluw. Graded ṣaḥīḥ by Al-Albānī in Mukhtaṣar Al-ʿUluw article 146.

eesa the kiwi
11-21-2019, 12:18 AM
The Worst FitnahIt is reported that Ḥudhayfah – Allāh be pleased with him – was asked:“What is the worst fitnah?” He replied, “That good and evil is presented to you and you do not know which of them to follow.”Ibn Abī Shaybah, Al-Muṣannaf, Kitāb Al-Fitan, article 38565.

eesa the kiwi
11-22-2019, 04:17 AM
The Zuhd of Abu Ubaydah and the Tears of UmarIt is reported from ʿAbdullāh b. ʿUmar:When ʿUmar b. Al-Khaṭṭāb arrived in Al-Shām, he said to Abū ʿUbaydah – Allāh be pleased with them: “Take us to your home.” Abū ʿUbaydah said, “And what will you do with my home?” ʿUmar replied, “Just take us there.” Abū ʿUbaydah said, “You only want to cry your eyes out over me.” So he entered his house and saw nothing [by way of furnishings] in it. ʿUmar asked, “Where are your things? I see nothing but rags, a water-skin and a dish (tray), and you are a governor! Do you have food?” So Abū ʿUbaydah went over to an old pail (bucket) and took out some scraps, and ʿUmar began to weep. Abu ʿUbaydah said to him, “I told you you would cry your eyes out over me. O Commander of the Believers, sufficient for you from the dunyā is what delivers you to your place of rest.” ʿUmar said, “The dunyā changed us all except you Abū ʿUbaydah.”Abū Dāwūd, Kitāb Al-Zuhd article 123, and others.

eesa the kiwi
01-11-2020, 10:10 AM
Whenever ʿAbdullāh b. ʿAbbās – Allāh be pleased with them – saw a muṣḥaf (copy of the Qurān) decorated with silver or gold he would say:Do you tempt the thief, when its beauty is in its inside?Abū ʿUbayd Al-Qāsim b. Sallām, Faḍāʾil Al-Qurān article 907.

eesa the kiwi
01-12-2020, 09:51 AM
It is reported that ʿAlī b. Abī Ṭālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:Blessings arrive with gratitude [to Allāh], and gratitude is connected with more [blessings], and the two are tied together: more blessings from Allāh will never stop unless gratitude from the servant stops.Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-Shukr article 18.

eesa the kiwi
01-13-2020, 10:30 AM
Three Exhorters
It is reported that ʿAbd Al-ʿAzīz b. Abī Rawwād – Allāh have mercy on him – said to a man:

Whoever does not take exhortation [and is not effected] by three things, will not be exhorted by anything: Islām, the Qurān and old age (graying).
Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-ʿUmr Wa Al-Shayb #40

'Abdullah
01-13-2020, 03:49 PM
Imam Ibn al Qayyim Al-Jawziyyah said:
The heart will rest and feel relief if it is settled with Allah. And it will worry and feel anxious if it is settled with the people.

eesa the kiwi
01-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Teaching Children To Love Abu Bakr & Umar

It is reported that Imām Mālik said:
The Salaf used to teach their children to love Abū Bakr and ʿUmar like they used to teach them a sūrah of the Qurān.

Al-Lālakāʾī, Sharḥ ʾUsūl ʾIʿtiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah #2325.

'Abdullah
01-14-2020, 04:01 PM
The heart is like a bird: love as its head and its two wings are hope and fear.

'Abdullah
01-14-2020, 07:02 PM
The slave is not afflicted with a punishment greater than the hardening of the heart and being distant from Allah. For the Fire was created to melt the hardened heart. The most distant heart from Allah is the heart which is hardened. If the heart becomes hardened, the eye becomes dry.

'Abdullah
01-15-2020, 08:00 PM
It is reported that ʿAbdullah b. ʿAbbas – Allah be pleased with him – said:
Wear what you wish and eat what you wish, as long as you avoid two practices: extravagance and haughtiness.
Source: Ibn Abī Shaybah, Al-Muṣannaf ḥadīth 26601.

eesa the kiwi
01-16-2020, 06:30 AM
Final Blame and Praise

It is reported that Khālid b. Maʿdān – Allāh have mercy him – said:
Whoever seeks praise by [saying or doing] what goes against Allāh, Allāh will turn those praises back on him to blame; and whoever is bold enough to [say or do] what brings blame [from people but] is in conformity to the truth, Allāh will turn that blame into praise.
Abū Dāwūd, Al-Zuhd #494.

'Abdullah
01-16-2020, 09:38 PM
It is reported that Ḥabib ibn ʿUbayd (May Allah have mercy on him) said:
Learn knowledge, understand it and benefit from it (live by it); and do not study it in order to decorate yourself with it, for if you live long you will likely see a time when knowledge will be used for beautification like a man beautifies himself with his garments.
Source: Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqaʾiq # 1056.

eesa the kiwi
01-17-2020, 09:44 AM
It is reported that ʿAṭā b. Abī Rabāḥ – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Sometimes a man narrates a ḥadīth to me, so I remain quiet as if I am listening carefully, although I had heard the ḥadīth before he had even been born.Al-Ḏahabī, Siyar Aʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 5:87.

'Abdullah
01-17-2020, 04:38 PM
When Abū Bakr Al-Ṣiddīq was on his deathbed he called ʿUmar – Allah be pleased with them – and said:
Fear Allah O ʿUmar, and know that Allah has deeds to be done for Him in the day which He will not accept if done at night, and He has deeds to be done for Him at night which He will not accept if done during the day. He will not accept extra (nāfilah) deeds unless you fulfill the obligatory deeds. The scales of those whose scales will be weighty on the Day of Resurrection will only be weighty because they followed the truth in this life and it was weighty to them. And scales in which the truth will be placed tomorrow truly deserve to be heavy. And the scales of those whose scales will be light on the Day of Resurrection will only be light because they followed falsehood in this life and it was a light matter to them. And scales in which falsehood will be placed tomorrow truly deserve to be light.
Allah the Exalted has mentioned the people of Paradise and mentioned them in the context of their best deeds, and overlooked their evil deeds, so when I remember them I say to myself: I fear that I will not be included with them. And Allah the Exalted has mentioned the people of Hell and mentioned them in the context of their worst deeds and rejected their best deeds, so when I remember them I say: I hope I won’t be amongst them. Allah’s worshippers should always be in a state of hope and fear, they shouldn’t wish flimsy wishes about Allah and neither should they despair of Allah’s mercy.
If you keep to this advice of mine, no one who is not with you now should be more beloved to you than death – and it is sure to come to you. But if you disregard this advice, no one who is not with you now should be more hated to you than death – and you cannot escape it.
Source: Abū Nu’aym, Ḥilyah Al-Awliyā` Vol.1 p18; and Ibn Al-Jawzī, Ṣifah Al-Ṣafwah.

eesa the kiwi
01-18-2020, 05:03 AM
Who is Rich?

A man once asked ʿAbdullāh b. ʿAmr b. Al-ʿĀṣ – Allāh be pleased with them:“Are we not from the poor of the Muhājirīn?” He replied, “Do you have a wife to go back to?” The man replied, “Yes.” ʿAbdullāh asked, “Do you have a home to live in?” The man said, “Yes.” ʿAbdullāh said, “Then you are one of the rich.” The man said, “And I have a servant.” ʿAbdullāh said, “In that case, you are a king!”

Muslim, Al-Ṣaḥīḥ #5290

eesa the kiwi
01-19-2020, 09:43 AM
Allied Souls
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:If the people were gathered on one plain, all of them believers, except for two unbelievers amongst them, they would join each other. And if the people were gathered on one plain, all of them unbelievers, except for two believers amongst them, they would join each other.Ibn Baṭṭah, Al-ʾIbānah Al-Kubrā 1:455

It is also reported that he said:The souls of people are allied together (like for like), they meet and detect one another like horses do; those that recognise each other come together, and those that disapprove each other, separate. If a believer entered a mosque in which there were a hundred people, amongst them only one other believer, he would end up sitting with him. And if a munāfiq entered a mosque in which there were a hundred people, amongst them only one other munāfiq, he would end up sitting with him.ibid.

It is reported that Al-Fuḍayl b. ʿAyyād – Allāh have mercy on him – said:The souls of people are allied together, those that recognise each other come together, and those that disapprove each other, separate; and [thus] it is not possible for a follower of the Sunnah to compromise with an adherent of Bidʿah ever, except out of nifāq (hypocrisy).Op. cit. 456

eesa the kiwi
01-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Abû Al-Dardâ’ – Allah be pleased with him – said: It is from a person’s knowledge and understanding that he sees to his needs first in order to turn to his prayer with a heart free of distractions.Ibn Al-Mubârak in Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqâ’iq Vol.2 p726

'Abdullah
01-21-2020, 04:16 PM
It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattāb – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
We were once in a time when we did not think anyone learned the Quran seeking anything but Allāh the Exalted, but now I fear there are men who learn it and intend the people and what they can get from them. So seek Allāh with your recitation and deeds. For verily, we used to know you when Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – was amongst us, when revelation would descend and Allāh would tell us about you. As for today, Allāh’s Messenger – peace and blessings be upon him – has passed on, and the revelation has stopped; and I only know you as I say: whoever shows what is good, we love him for it and think good of him, and whoever shows what is evil, we hate him for it and suspect him. Your secret and private matters are between you and your Lord the Mighty and Majestic.
Al-Ājurrī, Akhlāq Ḥamalat Al-Qur`ān article 26.

eesa the kiwi
01-22-2020, 02:59 AM
The Behavior of The Seeker of Knowledge

It is reported that ʿAlī – Allāh be pleased with him – said:When you learn knowledge, preserve it, and do not mix it with laughter and falsehood, such that the hearts refuse (dislike) it.Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baghdādī, Al-Jāmiʿ li-Akhlāq Al-Rāwī wa Ādāb Al-Sāmiʿ 1:232

It is reported that Mālik – Allāh have mercy on him – said:It is upon whoever seeks knowledge to have a solemn, dignified demeanour, fearful [of Allāh]; and to follow in the footsteps of those who went before him.ibid.

ʿAbd Al-Raḥmān b. Mahdī reports:A man laughed in [the circle of] Hishām Al-Dustawāʾī, so Hishām said to him, “Young man! You seek knowledge laughing?” He replied, “Is it not Allāh who makes [us] laugh and cry (as stated in the Qurʾān)?” So Hishām replied, “Then go and cry.”Op. cit. 233

'Abdullah
01-22-2020, 04:24 PM
Now a days fake news is a common slogan. Imam Ali (Radi Allahu Taala Anhu) gave us a criteria to judge between truth and false in his famous saying:
“Verily, there is nothing between truth and falsehood but a span of four fingers ….” Then he placed four fingers between his eye and ear and said, “Falsehood is to say, ‘I heard,’ while the truth is to say, ‘I saw.’
Source: Nahj al-Balagha, Sermon 141

'Abdullah
01-22-2020, 04:28 PM
It is reported that Abūl-ʿĀliyah said:
There will come upon the people a time when their hearts will be derelict of the Qurān; they will find neither sweetness nor pleasure by it. If they fall short of doing what they have been commanded to do, they will say: Allāh is most forgiving, merciful (He will forgive us), and if they do what they have been forbidden from doing, they will say: we will be forgiven, we haven’t committed any shirk with Allāh. Their affairs will all be based on [false] hope, having no truth and sincerity with it. They will wear the skins of lambs over hearts of wolves. The best of them in his religion will be someone who compromises.
Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd article 1741.

eesa the kiwi
01-23-2020, 09:17 AM
The Value of Avoiding Haram Income

It is reported that Mālik b. Dīnār – Allāh have mercy on him – said:It is better for a man to leave one ḥarām dirham than to give one hundred thousand in charity.Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 5:125.

'Abdullah
01-23-2020, 04:57 PM
It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
Four signs of wretchedness are:

1. [having] a hard heart,
  2. dry eyes [that never cry],
  3. extended hopes [about this life],
  4. and greed and keenness to amass worldly things (the dunyā).

Source: Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Kitāb Al-Zuhd article 36.

eesa the kiwi
01-24-2020, 04:12 AM
Sermon of Uthman on Guidance before Death

It is reported that ʿUthmān b. ʿAffān – Allāh be pleased with him – once addressed the people in a sermon. He praised Allāh, then said:O people! Fear Allāh and obey Him, for piety is a valuable prize. Verily the most intelligent person is he who takes account of himself and works for what comes after death, and acquires through the light (guidance) of Allāh a light for the darkness of the grave.The servant of Allāh should fear lest Allāh the Mighty and Sublime resurrects him blind though he used to see. A few comprehensive words can be enough for a wise man, whereas the deaf (who does not listen to guidance) is being called from afar.And know that whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is with has nothing to fear; but whoever Allāh the Mighty and Sublime is against, then in whom can he hope after Allāh?!

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 4:116,117.

'Abdullah
01-24-2020, 06:21 PM
The intelligent person’s tongue is behind his heart: when he wants to speak, he first thinks. If [his words] will be in his favor, he says them, and if they will be against him, he does not speak. And the ignorant person’s heart is behind his tongue: when he merely thinks of saying something, he says it, whether it is for or against him.
Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 2049.

eesa the kiwi
01-26-2020, 03:20 AM
Just Playing

It is reported that Imām Mālik – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Whatever you fool around with, don’t fool around with your dīn (religion).

Al-Lālakāʾī, Sharḥ ʾUṣūl ʾIʿtiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:163

eesa the kiwi
01-27-2020, 05:56 AM
Ibn Abî Mulaykah – Allah have mercy on him – said:

I met thirty of the Prophet’s Companions – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – and every one of them feared falling into nifâq (hypocrisy); not one of them claimed he had the level of faith of Jibrîl or Mîkâ`îl.

Quoted by Al-Bukhârî, Al-Sahîh, Chapter on the believer fearing that his deeds will be nullified without him realizing.

'Abdullah
01-27-2020, 07:09 PM
It is reported that ‘Alī b. Abī Ṭālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
The servant [of Allāh] should not fear except his sins, and should not hope except in his Lord. The ignorant should not be ashamed to ask, and the knowledgeable should not be ashamed to say – if he does not know something – ‘Allāh knows best.’ Patience (al-ṣabr) to faith (Al-Īmān) is like the head to the rest of the body: if the head is cut off, the body will rot. And one who has no patience, has no faith.
Al-Baihaqī, Shu’ab Al-Īmān, Vol.12 p195.

eesa the kiwi
01-28-2020, 05:39 AM
The Comfortable Home

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said: There is no comfort or rest for the believer until he meets Allāh.Wakīʿ b. Al-Jarrāḥ, Al-Zuhd #86

It is reported that Masrūq – Allāh have mercy him – said: There is no house better for the believer than the niche of his grave, for then he will rest from the worries of this world, and be secured from the punishment of Allāh.Ibid. #87

It is reported that Al-Rabīʿ b. Khuthaym – Allāh have mercy him – said: There is nothing that is away from the believer, and for which he waits, better for him than death.Ibid. #88

'Abdullah
01-28-2020, 05:46 PM
Abū Hurayrah – Allāh be pleased with him – once saw two men.
He asked one of them, “How is this man related to you?”
He replied, “He is my father.”
Abū Hurayrah said, “Do not call him by his name, do not walk in front of him and do not sit before he does.”
Al-Bukhārī, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. Shaykh Al-Albānī graded its chain of transmission sahīh in Sahīh Al-Adab Al-Mufrad Vol. 1 p19.

eesa the kiwi
01-29-2020, 09:40 AM
It is reported that a man saw Ibn ʿAbbās – Allāh be pleased with them – holding the tip of his tongue saying:Woe to you, say what is good and you will reap gain, and be silent from speaking evil and you will be safe.

The man asked him:O Ibn ʿAbbās, what is the matter that I see you holding the tip of your tongue saying such-and-such?

He replied:It has reached me that the servant of Allāh will not be as angry at anything on the Day of Resurrection as he will be at his tongue.

Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd p236

'Abdullah
01-29-2020, 11:07 PM
Abū Ḥāzim Salmān Al-Ashja’ī (died circa 100H) was one of the eminent Tābi’īn. He was a fully reliable transmitter of ḥadīth and a companion of Abū Hurayrah – Allāh be pleased with him. It is reported that Abū Ḥāzim Al-Ashja’ī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
If you find yourself in a time when speech is accepted as knowledge and knowledge is accepted as deeds [instead of putting it into practice], then you are in the worst time and with the worst people.
Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm` 4:338.

eesa the kiwi
01-30-2020, 04:56 AM
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with them – said:Whoever tries to make people hear of his deeds, Allāh will make [some] of His creation hear of him (expose him), and belittle him. Ibn ʿUmar then began to cry.Wakīʿ b. Al-Jarrāḥ, Al-Zuhd #308.

'Abdullah
01-30-2020, 06:30 PM
It is reported that Al-Fuḍayl b. ‘Ayyād – Allah have mercy on him – said:
How will you be if you reach a time when you will see people who do not distinguish truth from falsehood, believer from unbeliever, trustworthy from treacherous, nor ignorant from knowledgeable, and neither recognize what is right nor censure what is wrong?
After reporting this narration, Imam Ibn Battah (d. 387H) said:
To Allah we belong and to Him we will return! We have reached that time, we have heard this and have come to know most of it and witnessed it. If a man to whom Allah has bestowed sound reasoning looks and thinks carefully and ponders the matter of Islam and its people and treads the rightly guided path as regards to them, it will become clear to him that most people have turned back on their heals, deviated from the correct path, and turned away from correct proof. Many people have started to like what they used to hate, allow what they used to forbid and recognize what they used to reject. And for sure – Allah have mercy on you – this is not the [right] character of the Muslims, nor the behavior of those who have insight into this religion, and neither of those who believe in it and are certain about it.
Ibn Battah, Al-Ibanah Al-Kubra 1:188.

Now this was the situation almost 1050 years ago. Now a days the situation is even worse.
May Allah keep us on the right path which is becoming harder and harder to find with so many interpretations and difference of opinions.

eesa the kiwi
01-31-2020, 04:09 AM
Aḥmad b. Yūnus reports:

I saw Zuhayr b. Muʿāwiyah come to Zāʾidah b. Qudāmah (d.160H) and speak to him to get him to narrate ḥadīth to a man, so Zāʾidah asked, Is he from Ahl Al-Sunnah? Zuhayr replied, I do not know that he has any bidʿah. Zāʾidah said, No, that is another matter! Is he from Ahl Al-Sunnah? Zuhayr said, Since when have people become like this? Zāʾidah replied, Since when did people curse Abū Bakr and ʿUmar?!

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baghdādī, Al-Jāmiʿ li Akhlāq Al-Rāwī #754.

'Abdullah
01-31-2020, 03:43 PM
Salman Al-Farsi – Allah be pleased with him – once visited a sick friend. When he entered upon him he said:
Have glad tidings, for verily Allah makes the illness of a believer an expiation [for his sins] and a cause of being pleased, whereas the illness of a sinner is like a camel that has been tied by its owners, then released by them: it knows not why it was tied up nor why it was released.
Al-Bukhari, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad in the Chapter on the Expiation [of sins through] illness. Graded Saḥiḥ by Shaykh Al-Albani in Ṣaḥiḥ Al-Adab Al-Mufrad.

eesa the kiwi
02-01-2020, 05:26 AM
It is reported that Imām Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him –

said:We used to sometimes come to a scholar and what we learned of his manners was more beloved to us than the knowledge we took from him.

Abū Nuʿaym, Ḥilyatu Al-ʾAwliyāʾ #4575

MazharShafiq
02-01-2020, 09:58 AM
Ibrāhīm al-Harbī said: "I saw Ahmad as if Allah had gathered for him knowledge of the first generations and the latter ones".

Harmalah said: "I heard ash-Shāfi'ī saying, 'I left Baghdād and I did not leave behind a man more virtuous, knowledgeable, or juristic than Ahmad bin Hanbal'."

Alī bin al-Madīnī said: "Indeed Allah supported this Dīn with Abū Bakr as-Siddīq on the Day of Apostasy, and with Ahmad bin Hanbal on the Day of the Trial".

eesa the kiwi
02-03-2020, 07:21 AM
Mixing with People of Good Character

It is reported that Al-Fuḍayl b. ʿAyyāḍ – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Do not mix except with those who have good character; for the one who has good character brings nothing but good, whilst the one who has bad character brings nothing but evil.

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān, #87044

MazharShafiq
02-03-2020, 02:00 PM
It is reported from Sufyān b. ʿUyainah – Allāh have mercy on him – that a man once asked ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn b. ʿAlī b. ʾAbī Ṭālib – Allāh have mercy on him, What was the status of Abū Bakr and ʿUmar with Rasūlullāh – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him? He replied, Their place with him is like their place with him today (i.e. where they are in their graves).

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 4:254

MazharShafiq
02-03-2020, 02:01 PM
It is reported that Isḥāq b. Rāhuway – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

If you ask the ignorant: ‘Who are Al-Sawād Al-Aʿẓam (Main Body of the Muslims)?’ they will say, ‘All the people (together).’ But they do not know that The Jamā’ah (Main Body) is a scholar who follows the footsteps of the Prophet – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him – and his way. So whoever is with him and follows him is [one of] The Jamā’ah, but whoever contradicts him in it leaves The Jamā’ah.

Abū Nu’aym, Ḥilyatu Al-Awliyā`

'Abdullah
02-03-2020, 07:57 PM
It is reported that Al-Fudayl b. ʿAyyaḍ said:
When backbiting appears, brotherhood for Allāh will disappear; and at that time you will be like things plated with gold and silver: wooden on the inside, [merely] looking good on the outside.
Abu Nu’aym, Hilyah Al-Awliya`, Vol. 3 p395.

MazharShafiq
02-04-2020, 01:15 PM
It is reported that Abū Ḥāzim Al-Ashja’ī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

If you find yourself in a time when speech is accepted as knowledge and knowledge is accepted as deeds [instead of putting it into practice], then you are in the worst time and with the worst people.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm` 4:338

'Abdullah
02-04-2020, 06:29 PM
Muhammad b. ‘Ali b. Husayn b. ‘Ali b. Abi Talib, known as Al-Baqir, was the great-great grandson of the Prophet – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him. It is reported that Muhammad Al-Baqir – Allah have mercy on him – said:
Never does any pride enter the heart of a man except that his intelligence decreases by the same amount.
Al-Dhahabi, Siyar A’lam Al-Nubala`, in his biography of Muhammad Al-Baqir.

eesa the kiwi
02-05-2020, 08:47 AM
It is reported from Sufyān b. ʿUyainah – Allāh have mercy on him
– that a man once asked ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn b. ʿAlī b. ʾAbī Ṭālib – Allāh have mercy on him, What was the status of Abū Bakr and ʿUmar with Rasūlullāh – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him? He replied, Their place with him is like their place with him today (i.e. where they are in their graves).

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 4:254

MazharShafiq
02-05-2020, 10:55 AM
Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet said, "I am your predecessor at the Lake-Fount (Kauthar) and some men amongst you will be brought to me, and when I will try to hand them some water, they will be pulled away from me by force whereupon I will say, 'O Lord, my companions!' Then the Almighty will say, 'You do not know what they did after you left, they introduced new things into the religion after you.'"

Volume 9, Book 88, Number 174:

'Abdullah
02-05-2020, 05:59 PM
It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattab – Allah be pleased with him – said:
I have considered sending out men to the different regions to check on all those who are well off enough but have not made Hajj, and impose the jizyah (tax imposed on Ahl Al-Kitab in the Muslim state) on them; they are not Muslims, they are not Muslims.
It is also reported that he said:
If the people abandoned Hajj, we would fight them for it as we fight them for the prayer and zakah.
It is also reported that he said:
Whoever dies, being well off enough but having never done Hajj, let him die as a Jew if he wishes or as a Christian.
It is reported that Al-Aswad b. Hilal – Allah have mercy on him – said to a freedman of his called Miqlaṣ:
If you died and had never made Hajj, I would not pray over you.
It is reported that Sa’id b. Jubayr – Allah have mercy on him – said:
If a neighbor of mine died without ever making Hajj, while being well off enough to do so, I would not pray over him
It is reported that Mujahid b. Rumi said:
I asked Sa’id b. Jubayr, ‘Abd Al-Raḥman b. Aba Layla and Ibn Ma’qal (‘Abdullah Al-Muzani) about a man who died, being well off enough, but never having made Hajj. Ibn Abi Layla said, “I hope that if his next of kin does Hajj on his behalf…” Sa’id b. Jubayr said, “The Fire, the Fire.” ‘Abdullah b. Ma’qal said, “He died in a state of disobedience to Allah.
Source: Al-Khallal, Al-Sunnah 5:43-47, articles 1572-1576.

'Abdullah
02-06-2020, 07:45 PM
It is reported that Al-ʿAwwam b. Ḥawshab – Allah have mercy on him – said:
Boasting that you did a sin (when you did not) is worse than committing the sin.
Ibn Qutaybah, explaining what is meant by boasting here, said:
It is when a person says, ‘I fornicated’, when he did not, or to say, ‘I killed a man’, when he did not, boasting and showing off. This is worse upon a man than committing the sin because he did not avoid the sin except that he would have done it if able. He is therefore like the one who does it, by intention. He goes even further by removing the cover (of reputation) from himself, and by the depravity of his audacity to commit sin and his lack of concern.
Source: Al-Daynuri, Al-Mujalasah wa Jawahir Al-ʿIlm, article 3073.

eesa the kiwi
02-07-2020, 06:42 AM
Never Give Up Re-pent-ing

It is reported that a man came to ʿAlī – Allāh be pleased with him – and asked, What do you think about a man who committed a sin? He replied, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. [The man] said, He did that, but then sinned again? [ʿAlī] said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. The man again said, He did that, but returned to sin. [ʿAlī] said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him. The man said for the fourth time, He did, but then sinned again. ʿAlī then said, Until when?Then he said, He must seek Allāh’s forgiveness and repent to Him; and not give up until it is Shayṭān who is defeated [overcome].

Hunād b. Al-Sarī, Kitāb Al-Zuhd article 910

'Abdullah
02-07-2020, 06:38 PM
It is reported that Ayyūb Al-Sakhtiyānī was asked:
Is knowledge today greater or lesser [in amount]? He replied, “There is more speech today, but there was more knowledge in the past.”
Al-Fasawī, Al-Ma’rifah wa Al-Tārīkh 2:136.

eesa the kiwi
02-08-2020, 03:34 AM
Delving into Falsehood (I’ll take what’s good)

It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Ad-ham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Delving into falsehood removes the ability to recognize the truth from the heart.

Abu Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyā` 8:22.

MazharShafiq
02-08-2020, 03:58 AM
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Al-Mubārak – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

How fast these days are in doing away with our lifespans, and how fast this year is in doing away with its months, and how fast this month is in doing away with its days.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-ʿUmr was Al-Shayb article 25.

eesa the kiwi
02-09-2020, 09:29 AM
It is reported that Ya’lā b. ‘Ubayd said,

“We entered upon Ibn Sūqah, who said: ‘O nephew, let me relate to you something that will hopefully benefit you; for it benefited me. ‘Atā b. Abī Rabāh once said to us:'”Those before you used to consider idle talk to be anything other than the Book of Allāh, or the enjoining of good, or the forbidding of evil, or speaking for the sake of your basic living needs. Do you deny that there are recording angels appointed over you? Sitting on your right and your left? Never is a word said except there is an observer prepared to record? Are you not afraid (ashamed) that your record of words and deeds be spread open only to discover that there is nothing of the hereafter in it?

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 5:86

eesa the kiwi
02-10-2020, 09:20 AM
Two Rare Things in Decline

It is reported that Yūnus b. ‘Ubayd – Allāh have mercy on him – said:I do not know anything rarer than a good dirham (money earnt lawfully) whose owner spends it on something right, or a brother in Islām in whose company one finds peace. And they are only getting rarer.Abu Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyā` 3:17

MazharShafiq
02-10-2020, 02:17 PM
It is reported from Abû Hurayrah – Allâh be pleased with him – that he said:

Shall I not point you to comfortable proceeds? People responded, “And what is that o Abû Hurayrah?” He replied, “Fasting in winter.”

The Arabs used to refer to matters which were relatively easy to gain as being cool. In this narration, the relative ease of fasting in winter and its consequent reward is likened to acquiring war proceeds without the heat of violence.

MazharShafiq
02-10-2020, 02:18 PM
It is reported from ‘Umar – Allâh be pleased with him – that he said:

Winter is booty for the devout worshippers.

This is further explained in the following narration:

It is reported from ‘Ubayd b. ‘Umayr – Allâh have mercy on him – that he said:

It used to be said when winter came: O people of the Qur`ân, the night has become long so you can pray (more) and the day has become short for you to fast.

'Abdullah
02-10-2020, 07:42 PM
ʿAbdullah b. Mas’ūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
Falling asleep when remembering Allāh is from Shayṭān; if you want you can test this: when you lie down and want to fall asleep, try remembering Allāh ‘azza wa jall.
Al-Bukhārī, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. Graded ṣaḥīḥ by Shaykh Al-Albānī in Ṣaḥīḥ Al-Adab Al-Mufrad Vol. 1 p490.

eesa the kiwi
02-11-2020, 05:57 AM
A Preserved State of Knowledge

It is reported that ‘Adī b. Hātim – Allāh be pleased with him – said:You will remain in a good state as long as you do not approve what you used to know to be wrong or censure what you used to know to be right, and as long as the knowledgeable (scholar) amongst you can speak amongst you without fear.

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā article 26.

MazharShafiq
02-11-2020, 08:09 AM
There is nothing that corrupts a person or rectifies him more than [his] companion.

Sufyān Al-Thawrī, Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā (504)

'Abdullah
02-11-2020, 07:29 PM
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. ‘Urwah b. Al-Zubayr said,
“I asked my grandmother Asmā` (bint Abī Bakr) – Allāh be pleased with her, ‘How were the Companions of Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh peace and praise be upon him – when they heard the Quran?’
She replied, ‘their eyes would shed tears and they would tremble (with fear), as Allāh described them (in the Quran).
I said, ‘There are some people here who, when they hear the Quran, fall down unconscious,’
She said, ‘I seek refuge with Allāh from the accursed Shayṭān.’”
Al-Bayhaqī, Shu’ab Al-Īmān 3:417; Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqā`iq 3:54 with a slightly variant wording.

It is also reported that Asmā` was asked,
“Did any of the Salaf used to faint out of the fear of Allāh?” She replied, “No, but they used to cry.”
Al-Qāsim b. Salām, op. cit. p214.

It is reported that Ibn ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with him – once passed by a man from Iraq who had dropped unconscious.
He asked, “What is wrong with him?” [People] replied, “When the Quran is recited to him or he hears the remembrance of Allāh he falls unconscious out of his fear of Allāh.” Ibn ʿUmar said, “We fear Allāh and we do not drop unconscious!”
Ibid p214; Al-Baghawī in his Tafsīr, Sūrah Al-Zumar: 23 with a slightly variant wording.

It is reported that Anas b. Mālik was asked about people who drop unconscious when the Quran is recited to them. He said,
“That is the behavior of the Khawārij.”
Al-Qāsim b. Salām, op. cit. p215.

It is reported that Muḥammad b. Sīrīn said, having been asked about a man who drops unconscious when the Quran is recited to him,
“Make an appointment between us and him, we will sit on a wall, and the Quran – from beginning to end – will be recited unto him. If he falls off the wall, he is as he claims.”
Ibid., Al-Baghawī, op. cit.

'Abdullah
02-11-2020, 08:17 PM
It is reported from Al-Awzāʿī that he said:
Whoever remembers death often will find a small amount (of worldly things) sufficient for him; and whoever includes his speech in his deeds will speak little.
Al-Dhahabī , Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` in his biography of Al-Awzāʿī.

eesa the kiwi
02-12-2020, 09:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by HabibUrrehman
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. ‘Urwah b. Al-Zubayr said,
Al-Bayhaqī, Shu’ab Al-Īmān 3:417; Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqā`iq 3:54 with a slightly variant wording.

It is also reported that Asmā` was asked,
Al-Qāsim b. Salām, op. cit. p214.

It is reported that Ibn ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with him – once passed by a man from Iraq who had dropped unconscious.
Ibid p214; Al-Baghawī in his Tafsīr, Sūrah Al-Zumar: 23 with a slightly variant wording.

It is reported that Anas b. Mālik was asked about people who drop unconscious when the Quran is recited to them. He said,
Al-Qāsim b. Salām, op. cit. p215.

It is reported that Muḥammad b. Sīrīn said, having been asked about a man who drops unconscious when the Quran is recited to him,
Ibid., Al-Baghawī, op. cit.
May Allah bless you

- - - Updated - - -

Al Fudail Ibn 'Iyaad said;

Do not feel lonely on the paths of guidance just because few people travel them, and do not be deceived by the abundance of destroyed travelers [on the paths of misguidance].

[The Book of Manners by Fu'ad Ibn 'Abdul-'Azeez Ash-Shulhoob, Page 31]

'Abdullah
02-12-2020, 05:13 PM
It is reported that if Hishām Al-Dustawā`ī – Allāh have mercy on him – didn’t have a torch on at home, he would toss and turn in bed until his wife would come with a torch. She asked him about this once, to which he replied:
“If I don’t have a torch, I think about the darkness of the grave.”
Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā`, in his biography of Hishām Al-Dustawā`ī.

'Abdullah
02-12-2020, 07:12 PM
It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
Do not be hasty in praising people or blaming them, for perhaps what pleases you from a person today will displease you tomorrow, and perhaps what displeases you today, will please you tomorrow. Indeed, people change. It is Allāh who forgives the sins. And Allāh is more merciful to his servant the day he meets him than a mother who lays out a bed for her child in an empty patch of land and feels [the ground]: if there is a risk of being stung, it will be her instead of him (her child), and if there is a risk of being pricked by a thorn, it will be her instead of him.
Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān article 6177, and others.

'Abdullah
02-13-2020, 04:43 PM
It is reported that Imām ‘Abdullāh b. Al-Mubārak – Allāh have mercy on him – was asked:
“Who are the [best] people?”
He replied, “The scholars.”
He was asked, “Who are the [real] kings?”
He replied, “the ascetics.”
He was asked, “And who are the dregs [of society]?”
He replied, “Those who use their religion as a means of devouring [wealth].”
He was asked, “Who are the rabble?”
He replied, “Khuzaymah b. Khāzim and his companions.”
And he was asked, “And who is the low person?”
He replied, “The one who talks about the rise in prices to his guest.”
Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm 2:181.

MazharShafiq
02-13-2020, 04:58 PM

How fast these days are in doing away with our lifespans, and how fast this year is in doing away with its months, and how fast this month is in doing away with its days.

MazharShafiq
02-13-2020, 04:58 PM
It is reported that Sufyān Al-Thawrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Whoever hears of a bidʿah, let him not tell it to those who are with him, lest he cast it into their hearts.

Commenting, Al-Dhahabī states, “The majority of the Imāms of the Salaf are upon this; they see that the hearts are weak, and specious arguments ensnare.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 7:261.

MazharShafiq
02-14-2020, 02:17 PM
It is reported that Imām Al-Awzāʿī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Learn what not to take like you learn what to take.

Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Jāmiʿu Bayyān Al-ʿIlm article 435.

'Abdullah
02-14-2020, 06:13 PM
It is part of sure belief (yaqīn) [in Allāh] that you do not please the people by angering Allāh, and do not praise anyone [else] for what Allāh has provided you, and do not blame anyone for what Allāh has not given you. For verily, the provision of Allāh is not gained by the keenness of those who are keen [for you to have it], nor is it prevented by the hatred of those who hate [for you to have it]. And verily Allāh, in His justice, made happiness and joy in being certain and content [with Allāh], and made worry and sadness in doubt and anger.
Hannād b. Al-Sarī, Al-Zuhd, article 535.

'Abdullah
02-14-2020, 07:00 PM
It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Adham (d162H) – Allāh have mercy on him – once passed through the market of Baṣrah. People gathered around him and asked:
O Abū Isḥāq, Allāh the Exalted says in his Book. ‘Call on me, I will answer your prayers’, but we have been calling on Him for a long time and He does not answer our prayers. [Ibrāhīm] replied:
“O people of Baṣrah, your hearts have died in respect to ten things:
First, you know Allāh but you do not give Him His rights;
second, you have read Allāh’s Book but you do not act by it;
third, you claim to love Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – yet you abandon his Sunnah;
fourth, you claim to be enemies to Shayṭān but you conform to [his ways];
fifth, you say you love Paradise yet you do not work for it;
sixth, you say you fear The Fire yet you put yourselves closer to it [by sinning];
seventh, you say death is true but you do not prepare for it;
eighth, you busy yourselves with the faults of others and disregard your own;
ninth, you consume the favors of your Lord but are not grateful for them; and
tenth, you bury your dead but take no lesson from them.”
Abū Nu’aym, Ḥilyah Al-Awliyā’ 8: 15, 16.

eesa the kiwi
02-17-2020, 05:59 AM
The Revival of Knowledge

It is reported that Imām Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Those of our scholars who went before us used to say,”Adherence to the Sunnah is salvation, but knowledge is taken away quickly, so the revival of knowledge means the stability of religion and worldly affairs, and the loss of knowledge means the loss of all that.”

Al-Lālakā`ī, Sharh Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah article 136

MazharShafiq
02-17-2020, 11:15 AM
It is reported that Ḥabīb b. ʿUbayd – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Learn knowledge, understand it and benefit from it (live by it); and do not study it in order to decorate yourself with it, for if you live long you will likely see a time when knowledge will be used for beautification like a man beautifies himself with his garments.

Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqāʾiq no. 1056.

eesa the kiwi
02-18-2020, 06:17 AM
‘Umar b. Al-Khattāb once entered upon Abū Bakr – Allāh be pleased with them both

– and found him pulling at his tongue. He said, “Oh, what are you doing?” Abū Bakr replied, “It is this (i.e my speech) that has brought me so much trouble.”

Mālik, Al-Muatta 2:988

MazharShafiq
02-18-2020, 08:20 AM
Umar ibn Al-Khattab, Al-Fârûq (the one who distinguishes truth from falsehood)

In the Name of Allâh, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

All the praises and thanks be to Allâh, the Lord of the ‘Aalamîn (mankind, jinn and all that exists). Prayers and peace of Allah be upon the seal of the Prophets and Messengers; our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his family and companions.

MazharShafiq
02-18-2020, 08:22 AM
Al-Hasan Al-Basrī – Allah have mercy on him – said:

When a man sought knowledge, it would not be long before it could be seen in his humbleness, his sight, upon his tongue and his hands, in his prayer, in his speech and in his disinterest (zuhd) in worldly allurements. And a man would acquire a portion of knowledge and put it into practice, and it would be better for him than the world and all it contains – if he owned it he would give it in exchange for the hereafter.

Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqā`iq Vol.1 p.156.

eesa the kiwi
02-21-2020, 04:19 AM
It is reported that Sufyān b. ‘Uyainah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Verily, the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ is the highest standard; things are measured by him: his character, lifestyle and behavior. Whatever agrees with [these] is true and correct, and whatever contradicts [them] is wrong.Al-Khatīb Al-Baghdādī, Akhlāq Al-Rāwī wa Ādāb Al-Sāmi’ article 8.

'Abdullah
02-21-2020, 04:50 PM
It is reported that Ṭalq b. Ḥabīb – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
The right of Allāh is too great and heavy for the creation to fulfill and the blessings of Allāh are too many to enumerate, but you should remain repentant, morning and evening.
Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-Tawbah article 62.

MazharShafiq
02-21-2020, 05:17 PM

If you see a man amongst you having committed a sin, do not supplicate Allāh against him and do not revile him; instead, pray to Allāh to cure him and accept his repentance, for when we used to see a man die upon something good, we would have hope for him, and when we used to see a man die upon wrongdoing, we would fear for him.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Kitāb Al-Tawbah article 112.

'Abdullah
02-21-2020, 07:20 PM
It is reported that ‘Abd Al-Rahmān b. Mahdī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
If it were not for the fact I hate that Allah is disobeyed, I would have wished that no one remain in this city except that he had spoken ill of me and backbitten me; for what is nicer than a good deed a man finds in his records on the Day of Resurrection without having done a thing or even having known?
Abū Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyā` 4:45.

eesa the kiwi
02-22-2020, 01:35 AM
It is reported that Muhammad b. Sīrīn – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

If the Dajjāl appears, I believe the heretics (People of Desires, Bid’ah) will follow him.

Al-Lālakā`ī, Sharh Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah 1:131

MazharShafiq
02-24-2020, 11:19 AM
It is reported from Al-Sha’bī that he said:

Zayd b. Thābit – Allāh be pleased with him – once mounted [his horse or camel] to ride it, so Ibn ‘Abbās – Allāh be pleased with them – took hold of the reins [to serve him by leading his ride]. When he did this, Zayd said (out of respect for him), “Don’t do this o cousin of Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him.” Ibn ‘Abbās said, “This is what we have been told to do with our scholars (i.e. respect them and serve them).” Zayd said, “Show me your hand.” Ibn ‘Abbās held out his hand, and Zayd kissed it and said, “And this is what we have been told to do with the Ahl Al-Bayt (Family) of our Prophet – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him.”

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawaāhir Al-‘Ilm 4:146

eesa the kiwi
02-25-2020, 09:41 AM
The Influence of Companionship

It is reported that Sufyān Al-Thawrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:There is nothing that corrupts a person or rectifies him more than [his] companion.

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā article 504.

MazharShafiq
02-25-2020, 05:47 PM

Knowledge is only learned to [apply it and] put into practice the Taqwā of Allāh the mighty and sublime.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm article 943.

eesa the kiwi
02-26-2020, 09:38 AM
Beyond Words

It is reported that ‘Alī b. Abī Tālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:Mention what you will of the greatness of Allāh, but Allāh is greater than anything you say. And mention what you will of the Fire, but it is more severe than anything you say. And mention what you will of Paradise, but it is better than anything you say.Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 853.

MazharShafiq
02-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Imam Qurtubi quoted a hadith in his tafsir of the Quran and quoted it in regards to the verse 45 of Surah Al Isra:

Saeed Ibn Jubayr narrated: "When surah tabbat yada (111) was revealed, the wife of Abu Lahab came looking for the Prophet while Abu Bakr was sitting with him. Abu Bakr said to the prophet: "I wish that you get aside, as she is coming towards us, she may cause you harm". The prophet said: "There will be a screen between me and her". So she did not see him. She said to Abu Bakr,: "Your companion is saying poetry against me". Abu Bakr said: "By Allah,he does not say poetry". She said: "Do you believe that?" and then left. Abu Bakr then said:" Oh Allah's messenger, she did not see you". The prophet said: " There was an angel screening me from her". (Musnad Abu Yala).

'Abdullah
02-26-2020, 07:23 PM
Zayd b. Wahb reports:
We were once sitting in the masjid with Ḥudhayfah (ibn Al-Yamān) – Allah be pleased with him, when a man entered from the gates of Kindah and stood to pray; but he did not complete the bowing or prostration postures. When he had finished praying, Ḥudhayfah asked him, “How long have you been praying in this manner?” The man replied, “For forty years.” Ḥudhayfah said, “You have not prayed for forty years! And if you were to die praying in this manner you would die upon a way (fiṭrah) other than the way of Muḥammad – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him.”
Al-Bukhārī, Al-Ṣaḥīḥ,
The Book of Adhān, without the mention of 40 years.
A version in Al-Nasā`ī, Chapter on the Deficient Prayer, mentions the question and reply about 40 years.
Shaykh Al-Albānī graded its chain of transmission ṣaḥīḥ in Sahīh Sunan Al-Nasā`ī no. 1312.
https://sunnah.com/nasai/13/134

eesa the kiwi
02-27-2020, 09:08 AM
Between You and the One in the Grave

It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrī – Allāh have mercy on him – once said during the funeral of a man:

May Allāh have mercy on the man who works for the likes of this day; for today you are able to do what these brothers of yours, the residents of these graves, cannot do. So make full use of your health and free time before the day of distress and accounts comes upon you.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dhamm Al-Dunyā article 53.

'Abdullah
02-27-2020, 04:10 PM
Wealth is the disease of this Ummah, and the scholar is the doctor of this Ummah. So if the doctor brings the disease to himself, how will he cure the people?
Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā`, Vol. 7 p243.

eesa the kiwi
02-28-2020, 09:04 AM
Definition of Asceticism –

The Three Types of ZuhdIt is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Ad-ham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Zuhd (abstinence from materialism, asceticism) is of three types: (i) obligatory zuhd, (ii) virtuous zuhd and (iii) zuhd for safety. Obligatory zuhd is to abstain from what is forbidden (harām); virtuous zuhd is to be disinterested in what is allowed (of this world); and zuhd for safety is to stay away from doubtful matters.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 905.

MazharShafiq
02-28-2020, 09:12 AM
Shaykh 'Abdul Azīz bin Bāz رحمه الله "Whosoever reflects/ponders over the Qur'ān and increases in its recitation, will know the characteristics of those who are favoured (by Allāh) and those who are at loss, in detail/with precision." مجموع فتاوى ابن باز - ٩٥/٥

MazharShafiq
02-28-2020, 09:14 AM

'Abdullah
02-28-2020, 05:11 PM
It is reported that Harim b. Ḥayyān* – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
Never does the servant turn wholeheartedly to Allāh except that Allāh turns the hearts of the believers to him, providing him their love.
Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 4:49.
*Harim b. Ḥayyān was one of the Successors, deputized by ‘Umar, and known for his devoutness.

eesa the kiwi
02-29-2020, 02:54 AM
This world (the dunyā) is [only taken as] a home by those who will have no real home [in Jannah], and it is the wealth of those who will have no real wealth, and it is gathered and collected for by those who have no real intelligence.

(Ibn Mas'ud; reported by Ibn Abi Dunya in Dhamm al Dunya')

eesa the kiwi
03-01-2020, 02:57 AM
It is reported that Bilāl b. Saʿd – Allāh have mercy on him –
said:If you see a man being obstinate, argumentative and impressed with his own opinion, then his loss is complete.

Abū Nuʿaym, ʿHilyatu Al-Awliyāʾ 5:228

MazharShafiq
03-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Narrated: Abu Huraira
that a man said to the Prophet, sallallahu 'alayhi wasallam: "Advise me! "The Prophet said, "Do not become angry and furious." The man asked (the same) again and again, and the Prophet said in each case, "Do not become angry and furious." [Al-Bukhari; Vol. 8 No. 137]

Frida
03-01-2020, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MazharShafiq

In which time is this written? Is this a hadith or somethin else?

Caplets
03-01-2020, 10:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Frida

ʿAbdullāh b. Al-Mubārak – Allāh have mercy on him – was born in Marw’ one of the prime cities in Khurasān (nowadays in the surroundings of Afghanistan and Central Asia), in the year 118 AH (the current year being 1441 AH/2020 CE).

He is from the era of the Salaf As-Sālih (righteous predecessors) - who are the companions (may Allāh be pleased with them all) of the Prophet :saws1:,their students and their students students.

His biography is available here: https://www.kalamullah.com/Books/biography-abdullah-ibn-al-mubarak.pdf

For (some) hadīth collections/books:
https://sunnah.com/adab

MazharShafiq
03-02-2020, 02:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Frida
it is a quote of Abdullah ibn e mubarak.

MazharShafiq
03-02-2020, 02:50 PM

The seeking of knowledge cannot really be achieved except with four things: time (al-farāgh, being free to study), sufficient wealth (al-māl, to avoid preoccupation with seeking a living), preservation (al-ḥifẓ, memorization) and piety (al-waraʿ, religious cautiousness).

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān 3:243, article 1602.

MazharShafiq
03-02-2020, 02:52 PM

The insightful and wise do not trust that they are safe from four things: a past sin about which it is not known what the Lord Almighty will do, the remaining lifespan wherein it is not known what destruction lies, some (apparent) advantage a person is given but which could be a lure (from Allāh) in recompense for his wrongdoing, a misguidance that has been beautified – so that he thinks it is guidance – and a momentary deviation of the heart, for a person can be stripped of his religion without realizing it.

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar Aʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 8:406

'Abdullah
03-02-2020, 05:28 PM
Abu Al-‘Āliyah reports that a man once asked ‘Ubay b. Ka’b – Allah be pleased with him – for advice. He said:
Take the Book of Allah as your leader (imām) and be pleased with it as a judge and ruler. It is what your Messenger left amongst you. It will be an intercessor for you. It is to be obeyed. It is a witness never doubted. In it is a mention of you and those before you, and judgment for whatever happens amongst you. And in it is news about you and whatever will come after you.
Al-Dhahabī in Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā’, in the biography of ‘Ubay b. Ka’b

eesa the kiwi
03-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Being Humble When Blessed

It is reported that Qatādah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
Whoever has been given wealth, beauty, garments or knowledge and then is not humble will have severe repercussions on the Day of Resurrection.
Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-Tawāḍuʿ Wa Al-Khumūl ḥadīth 90.

Being Humble When Blessed - Sayings of the Salaf
28/09/2019 - Enjoying good things in this life can become a person's ruin if he is not humble....

MazharShafiq
03-03-2020, 11:04 AM
Al-Rubay’ bint Mu’awwidh – Allah be pleased with her – said while describing how the Prophet – Allah’s peace and blessings be upon him – told them to fast ‘Āshūrā:

We used to make toys out of dyed wool for the children and keep them with us so if the children asked us for food we would give them the toys to distract them until they completed their fast.

Sahīh Muslim. A similar narration is also in Sahīh Al-Bukhārī.

MazharShafiq
03-03-2020, 11:04 AM
Abū Ibrāhīm Al-Muzanī, the companion of Imām Al-Shāfi’ī reports:

I heard Al-Shāfi’ī comment on the statement of Allah:

Nay, they (the unbelievers) will be on that day veiled from their Lord. [Al-Muṭaffifīn: 15]

He said, “In this verse there is evidence that the awliyā` of Allah (His beloved righteous worshippers) will see their Lord on the Day of Resurrection.”

Al-Lālakā`ī in Sharḥ Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah wa Al-Jamā’ah Vol.2 p309.

'Abdullah
03-03-2020, 05:15 PM
If a Person is Exposed, It’s not his First Sin
Anas b. Mālik reports:
A young man who had stolen was brought to ʿUmar (for punishment). He said:
“By Allāh I have never stolen before this time.” So ʿUmar responded, “You lie, Allāh would not (or does not) surrender a servant of His on the first sin.”
Abū Dāwūd, Al-Zuhd article 56, and others. Graded ṣaḥīh by Ibn Kathīr and others.

eesa the kiwi
03-04-2020, 05:10 AM
Ibn Al-Sunnī records that when ʿĀʾishah – Allāh be pleased with her – wanted to go to sleep she would say:

O Allāh, verily I ask you for good dreams: dreams that are true and not false, beneficial and not harmful.اللهم إني أسألك رؤيا صالحةً صادقةً غيرَ كاذبةٍ نافعةً غيرَ ضارةٍ
And when she said this, [those who heard her] knew that she would not speak any more until she woke up from the night.Al-Nawawī, Al-Adhkār ḥadīth 271.

Ibn Ḥajr graded it ṣaḥīḥ in Natāʾij Al-Afkār 3:89.

quranfee
03-04-2020, 11:11 AM
Learning Quran Feehere we are providing the best online Quran Courses with Translation and memorization courses, for kids also.
learning quran fee

Instagram
We can provide you with the facilty of easy fee structure which you can pay easily. Try our online quran learning course at least once....

MazharShafiq
03-04-2020, 05:16 PM
Ikrimah, Sumay’ and Kurayb report that Ibn ‘Abbās – Allah be pleased with them – said to them:

Marry, for if the servant of Allah commits fornication Allah snatches the light of īmān from him, and may or may not return it to him.

Ibn Sa’d in Al-Ṭabaqāt Al-Kubrā Vol.5 p287.

eesa the kiwi
03-05-2020, 08:49 AM
“The believer conceals and advises while the wicked individual exposes, condemns and humiliates.” Fudayl ibn 'Iyaad.

'Abdullah
03-05-2020, 05:16 PM
It is reported that Salmān Al-Fārsī – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
I would rather die and be resurrected, die and be resurrected, and again die and be resurrected than to see the private part of a Muslim’s body or for a Muslim to see mine.
Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd p192. 1st ed. 1983. Dār Al-Kutub Al-‘Ilmīyah. Beirut, Lebanon.

MazharShafiq
03-05-2020, 05:30 PM
On the authority of Abu al-‘Abbas Sahl bin Sa’d al-Sa’idi, radiyallahu ‘anhu, who said:

A man came to the Prophet, sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam, and said: “O Messenger of Allah, direct me to an act which if I do it, [will cause] Allah to love me and people to love me.” He, sallallahu ‘alayhi wasallam, answered: “Be indifferent to the world and Allah will love you; be indifferent to what people possess and they will love you.”

[A fine hadith related by Ibn Majah and others with good chains of authorities]

eesa the kiwi
03-06-2020, 08:53 AM
One of the Salaf said •► 'If this world does not cry for you (upon departing it), then the Hereafter will not smile for you.'

فَمَا بَكَتْ عَلَيْهِمُ السَّمَاءُ وَالْأَرْضُ وَمَا كَانُوا مُنظَرِينَ"And the heaven and earth wept not for them, nor were they reprieved." [Surah Ad Dukhan, 44:29]

'Abdullah
03-06-2020, 04:54 PM
It is reported that Abū Muslim Al-Khawlānī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
The example of the scholars on earth is that of the stars in the sky: when they appear, the people are guided (they navigate using the stars), but when they disappear, the people get confused and lost.
Al-Bayhaqī, Al-Madkhal ilā Al-Sunan Al-Kubrā #287

eesa the kiwi
03-07-2020, 09:09 AM
It is reported that Bakr b. ʿAbdillāh Al-Muzanī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

If you want your ṣalāh to benefit you, say (to yourself): perhaps I will never pray another (my life will end before the next prayer).Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Qaṣr Al-ʾAmal article 104.

May Allah help us practice

eesa the kiwi
03-08-2020, 08:59 AM
Praying for the Tawbah of the Sinner

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:If you see a man amongst you having committed a sin, do not supplicate Allāh against him and do not revile him; instead, pray to Allāh to cure him and accept his repentance, for when we used to see a man die upon something good, we would have hope for him, and when we used to see a man die upon wrongdoing, we would fear for him.

'Abdullah
03-09-2020, 09:35 PM
It is reported that Ibrāhīm Al-Taymī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
What a great difference there is between you and those people [of the past, the Salaf]! Worldly wealth came to them but they fled from it, whereas the world turns its back on you and you go after it.
Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqā`iq article 538.

'Abdullah
03-10-2020, 03:21 PM
Shaqîq b. Ibrâhîm reports:
It was once said to ‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubârak, “After you have prayed with us you don’t sit with us?”
He replied, “I go and sit with the Sahâbah and the Tâbi’în.”
We said, “And how can you sit with the Sahâbah and Tâbi’în (when they have all passed away)?”
He replied, “I go and read the knowledge I have collected, I find their narrations and deeds. What would I do with you? You sit around backbiting people.”
Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ` in his biography of ‘Abdullah b. Al-Mubarak.

eesa the kiwi
03-11-2020, 09:41 AM
The Status of Dutifulness to the Mother [Tawbah]ʿ

Aṭāʾ b. Yasār reports:A man once came to Ibn ʿAbbās and said, “I proposed to a woman and she refused to marry me, then someone else proposed to her and she wanted to marry him; so I became jealous and killed her. Can I repent from this?” [Ibn ʿAbbās] asked, “Is your mother alive?” He replied, “No.” So he said, “Repent (tawbah) to Allāh the mighty and majestic, and worship him as much as you can.”ʿAṭāʾ said, “So I went and asked Ibn ʿAbbās, ‘Why did you ask him if his mother was alive?’ He replied, ‘I do not know of any action that brings one closer to Allāh than dutifulness to the mother.'”

Al-Bukhārī, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad ḥadīth 4. Graded ṣaḥīḥ by Al-Albānī. See Ṣaḥīḥ Al-Adab Al-Mufrad, Chapter on Dutifulness to the Mother; Al-Ṣaḥīḥah 6:711 ḥadīth 2799.

'Abdullah
03-11-2020, 05:02 PM
After the death of his wife Umm Ṣālih, Imām Aḥmad – Allāh have mercy on them, used to praise her. He once said:
In the thirty years she was with me, we never had a single word of disagreement.
Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baghdādī, Tārīkh Baghdād 16:626.

'Abdullah
03-12-2020, 06:18 PM
It is reported that once, some good food was served to Anas [Ibn Mālik] – Allāh be pleased with him, and [the person who served the food] was well off enough to afford good food. As he was eating, he kept a morsel of the food in his mouth for a while, then looked at the people and began to cry. Then he said, “By Allāh, I have accompanied people who, if they could get hold of this kind of food, would have fasted even more often, and spent less time not fasting. One of them would find only milk mixed with water [as food], which he would drink and then fast on.”
Al-Mu’āfā b. ‘Imrān, Kitāb Al-Zuhd article 215.

eesa the kiwi
03-13-2020, 02:31 AM
It is reported that:ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn – Allāh have mercy on him –
would sometimes ride to Makkah and return without entering it (meeting anyone there), and he used to sit with Aslam the freedman of ʿUmar (himself a scholar), so it was said to him, “You leave Quraysh, and instead sit with the slave of Banī ʿAdī!” So he replied, “A man [should] sit where he benefits.”

It is reported that:ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn – Allāh have mercy on him –
would enter the masjid and cut his way through the people until he would sit in the circle of Zayd b. Aslam. Nāfiʿ b. Jubayr said to him, “Allāh forgive you, you are the sayyid of the people, yet you come traversing the people to sit with this slave.” So ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn replied, “Knowledge is to be sought and come to and looked for wherever it is.”Ibid.

'Abdullah
03-13-2020, 06:27 PM
It is reported that Qatādah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
Verily the Qurān guides you to your disease and your treatment: as for your disease, it is your sins; and as for your treatment, it is to seek the forgiveness of Allāh.
Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān 9:347 no. 6745.

eesa the kiwi
03-14-2020, 08:03 AM
It is reported that Muhammad Al-Bâqir – Allâh have mercy on him – said,

“Never does any pride enter the heart of a man except that his intelligence decreases by the same amount.”

Al-Dhahabî, Siyar A’lâm Al-Nubalâ`, in his biography of Muhammad Al-Bâqir.Muhammad b. ‘Alî b. Husayn b. ‘Alî b. Abî Tâlib, known as Al-Bâqir, was the great-great grandson of the Prophet – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him.

'Abdullah
03-16-2020, 10:28 PM
Bilāl b. Sa’d – Allah have mercy on him – said:
Do not think about how small the sin is, but think about who you have just disobeyed.
Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqā`iq Vol.1 p150.

eesa the kiwi
03-17-2020, 09:21 AM
There is rest only in the aakhira.Man will rest in the aakhira according to how hard he strives in dunya.-Khaalid Ibn Al Waleed-

MazharShafiq
03-17-2020, 10:57 AM
ʿAbd Allāh bin Sa‘īd bin Abū Hind reported to us on the authority of his father, on the authority of ibn ʿAbbās, may God be satisfied with them, who said: “The Messenger of God, may God bless him and grant him peace, said: ‘There are two deceitful benefits that many people are concerned with: health and leisure (al-ṣiḥḥah wa al-farāgh).’”

2. Jaʿfar bin al-Burqān

'Abdullah
03-17-2020, 03:47 PM
It has reached me that when Allāh the Mighty and Majestic blesses a people and gives them some good he asks them to be grateful. If they are grateful, He is all-able to give them more. But if they are ungrateful, He is all-able to turn His blessings into a punishment.
Al-Bayhaqī, Shu’ab Al-Imān article 4536.

MazharShafiq
03-18-2020, 09:19 AM
mam Nawawi in his Sharh sahih muslim commented on this hadith saying: "This kind of sight is shown to someone who persists in meditation (muraqaba), reflection (fikr), and anticipation (iqbal) of the next world."

Mu`adh ibn Jabal said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) also said: "The People of Paradise will not regret except one thing alone: the hour that passed them by and in which they made no remembrance of Allah." Narrated by Bayhaqi in Shu`ab al-iman (1:392 #512-513) and by Tabarani. Haythami in Majma` al-zawa'id (10:74) said that its narrators are all trustworthy (thiqat), while Suyuti declared it hasan in his Jami` al-saghir (#7701).

Allah placed His remembrance above prayer in value by making prayer the means and remembrance the goal. He said:

Recite, [O Muhammad], what has been revealed to you of the Book and establish prayer. Indeed, prayer prohibits immorality and wrongdoing, and the remembrance of Allah is greater. And Allah knows that which you do.(29:45)

'Abdullah
03-18-2020, 06:10 PM
Yūnus reports: Maymūn b. Mihrān once wrote to me saying:
Beware of dispute and argumentation about the religion, and do not argue with a scholar nor an ignoramus. As for the scholar, he will withhold his knowledge from you, and will not be concerned with what you do. As for the ignorant person, he will only cause roughness in your heart and he will not obey you [anyway].
Al-Dārimī, Al-Sunan no. 302.

'Abdullah
03-19-2020, 03:28 PM
Umm Al-Dardâ` [the Younger] – Allâh be pleased with her – reports:
One day, Abû Al-Dardâ` came home angry, so I asked him, “What has made you so angry?” He replied, “By Allâh, I do not recognize anything from the Ummah of Muhammad except that they pray (salâh) in congregation.”
Al-Bukhârî, Al-Sahîh, Chapter on the Virtue of Praying Al-Fajr in Congregation.
We learn from this narration:

• Prayer (salâh) in congregation is from the characteristics of the Ummah of Allâh’s Messenger – Allâh’s peace and blessings be upon him.

• The noble Companion Abû Al-Dardâ` was conveying the idea that deficiency and negative changes had begun to creep in to the practices of the Muslims, and he wanted to point out this evil so that people could be aware and try to keep to the original teachings. Al-Hâfidh Ibn Hajr states, “Abû Al-Dardâ` intended to point out that all the deeds of those mentioned had suffered some degree of deficiency and change, except praying in congregation. This [change] is relative, for the condition of the people during the time of the Prophet was better compared to how it changed after that time; and during the time of the Two Shaykhs (Abû Bakr and ‘Umar) it was better compared to how it was after them. It is as if this concern came from Abû Al-Dardâ` towards the end of his life – during the latter part of ‘Uthmân’s Caliphate. And just imagine, if that virtuous generation was described by Abû Al-Dardâ` as it was, then what about those who came after them up to our own time?!”

• This narration shows us that we should be angry if some aspect of the religion is changed, and that renouncing evil can be done by showing one’s anger if one is not able to do any more than that.

Taken from Fath Al-Bârî of Ibn Rajab and Fath Al-Bârî of Ibn Hajr; both of which are commentaries on Sahîh Al-Bukhârî.

'Abdullah
03-20-2020, 03:19 PM
It is reported that ‘Amr b. Maymūn said:
The Companions of Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him – used to say, “The mosques are the houses of Allāh on Earth, and it is a right from Allāh that He will honor those who visit Him in [His houses].”
Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqā`iq 4:159.

eesa the kiwi
03-21-2020, 05:13 AM
Al-Hasan Al-Basree said:“The world is a vehicle for you. If you drive it, it will deliver you to your destination. If it drives you, you will be destroyed”

MazharShafiq
03-23-2020, 01:01 PM
Muslim, Ahmad and al-Tirmidhi narrated from Ibn ‘Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The evil eye is real and if anything were to overtake the divine decree, it would be the evil eye. When you are asked to take a bath (to provide a cure) from the influence of the evil eye, you should take a bath.”

'Abdullah
03-23-2020, 02:37 PM
It is reported that Ibrāhīm Al-Taymī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
What a great difference there is between you and those people [of the past, the Salaf]! Worldly wealth came to them but they fled from it, whereas the world turns its back on you and you go after it.
Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqā`iq article 538.

MazharShafiq
03-24-2020, 05:54 AM

MazharShafiq
03-24-2020, 05:55 AM

Whoever hears of a bidʿah, let him not tell it to those who are with him, lest he cast it into their hearts.

Commenting, Al-Dhahabī states, “The majority of the Imāms of the Salaf are upon this; they see that the hearts are weak, and specious arguments ensnare.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar ʾAʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 7:261

'Abdullah
03-24-2020, 08:09 PM
Salmān Al-Fārsī – Allāh be pleased with him – once visited a sick friend. When he entered upon him he said:
Have glad tidings, for verily Allāh makes the illness of a believer an expiation [for his sins] and a cause of being pleased, whereas the illness of a sinner is like a camel that has been tied by its owners, then released by them: it knows not why it was tied up nor why it was released.
Al-Bukhārī, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad in the Chapter on the Expiation [of sins through] illness. Graded ṣaḥīḥ by Shaykh Al-Albānī in Ṣaḥīḥ Al-Adab Al-Mufrad.

eesa the kiwi
03-25-2020, 08:19 AM
Imam ash-Shaafi`ee - rahimahullaah - said:"When it comes to my provisions, I rely upon Allah, my Creator; And I know with certainty that He will no doubt provide for me. Whatever’s in my due, will not pass me by, Even if it were to be in the depths of the sea. Allah the Exalted will bring it forth by His Grace, Even if I were to remain silent over it. So, what... can a soul feel sorrow over, When the Most Merciful has set the provisions of the creation?"

MazharShafiq
03-25-2020, 08:42 AM
It is reported that Mālik – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

It is upon whoever seeks knowledge to have a solemn, dignified demeanour, fearful [of Allāh]; and to follow in the footsteps of those who went before him.

MazharShafiq
03-25-2020, 08:43 AM

There is nothing that corrupts a person or rectifies him more than [his] companion.

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā article 504.

MazharShafiq
03-25-2020, 08:43 AM
It is reported that a man saw Ibn ʿAbbās – Allāh be pleased with them – holding the tip of his tongue saying:

Woe to you, say what is good and you will reap gain, and be silent from speaking evil and you will be safe.

The man asked him:

O Ibn ʿAbbās, what is the matter that I see you holding the tip of your tongue saying such-and-such?

He replied:

It has reached me that the servant of Allāh will not be as angry at anything on the Day of Resurrection as he will be at his tongue.

Imām Aḥmad, Al-Zuhd p236

eesa the kiwi
03-27-2020, 06:17 AM
Four Corruptions

It is reported that Muʿādh b. Jabal – Allāh be pleased with him – said:“O people, there are four characteristics to come, whoever can avoid reaching them should do so.” [People] asked, “And what are they?” He replied, “There will come a time in which falsehood will rise, and a time will come in which a man will say, ‘By Allāh, I do not know what I am’, he will neither live nor die upon insight (knowledge of what he should be). And a time will come in which a man will start his day on one religion and end it on another. And a time will come when a man will be given wealth from the wealth Allāh provides, in return for saying what is wrong and false and for which Allāh will be angry with him.”

Ibn ʿAsākir, Tārīkh Dimishq 58:442

eesa the kiwi
03-28-2020, 04:22 AM
'Urwah bin Az-Zubayr – may Allah have mercy on him – said:

"'Aa'ishah - may Allah be pleased with her - gave seventy thousand (dirhams) in charity, while her own skirt used to be patched."-

'Abdullaah bin al-Mubaarak in Az-Zuhd wa Ar-Raqaa'iq 1/588, #705

eesa the kiwi
03-29-2020, 02:14 AM

'Abdullah
03-30-2020, 06:19 PM
It is reported that Sufyān b. ʿUyainah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:
The most audacious people in giving verdicts (fatwā) are those who know the least about the differences of opinion amongst the scholars.
Op. cit. 1527.

'Abdullah
04-01-2020, 05:28 PM
Imām Sa’īd b. Al-Musayyib – Allāh have mercy on him – once saw a man praying more than two rak’ah after sunrise the beginning of Fajr, making many bows and prostrations, and so he forbade him. The man said, “O Abu Muḥammad, is Allāh going to punish me for praying?” Sa’īd said, “No, but He will punish you for contradicting the Sunnah.”
Al-Bayhaqī, As-Sunan Al-Kubraa 2:466. graded ṣaḥīḥ by Shaykh Al-Albānī. See Irwā Al-Ghalīl 2:236.
Shaykh Al-Albānī writes:
This is one of the superb answers given by Sa’īd b. Al-Musayyib – Allāh have mercy on him. It is a strong weapon against heretics (mubtadi’ah) who recommend many different types of religious innovation in the name of them being dhikr and prayer. They then criticize the followers of the Sunnah for criticizing them, and accuse them of censuring dhikr and prayer, when in fact [Ahl Al-Sunnah] are only criticizing the contravention of the Sunnah in matters such as dhikr and prayer.

'Abdullah
04-01-2020, 05:46 PM
It is reported that ‘Abdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
This world (the dunyā) is [only taken as] a home by those who will have no real home [in Jannah], and it is the wealth of those who will have no real wealth, and it is gathered and collected for by those who have no real intelligence.
Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dhamm Al-Dunyā article 16.

eesa the kiwi
04-02-2020, 01:06 AM
Do Not Beautify Yourself with Knowledge

It is reported that Ḥabīb b. ʿUbayd – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Ibn Al-Mubārak, Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqāʾiq no. 1056.

'Abdullah
04-02-2020, 04:30 PM
Praise be to Allāh for this Calamity

It is reported that Shurayḥ – Allāh have mercy on him – said, “If I am afflicted with a calamity, I praise Allāh for it four times: I praise Him because it wasn’t worse than it was, I praise Him when He gives me the patience to bear it, I praise Him for enabling me to say al-istirjā’ (‘To Allāh we belong and to him we will return’; see Al-Baqarah: 154-156 ) in hope of a great reward, and I praise Him for not making it a calamity in my religion.”

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā`, in his biography of Shurayḥ Al-Qāḍī.

eesa the kiwi
04-03-2020, 08:40 AM
"If a man seeks knowledge, it will appear in his face, hands an tongue and in his humility to Allah." - Hassan Al-Basri

eesa the kiwi
04-04-2020, 05:20 AM
True knowledge is not mentioned in relation to how much you memorise and then narrate, but rather, true knowledge is an expression of piety. - Ibn Mas'ud (radhiyallahu 'anhu)

eesa the kiwi
04-06-2020, 04:40 AM
It is reported that Abū Juḥayfah – Allāh be pleased with him – said:

Sit with the seniors, mix with the wise, and enquire with the scholars.

Ibn Ḥibbān, Rawḍatu Al-ʿUqalāʾ p176. See Al-Albānī, Al-Ḍaʿīfah ḥadīth 3462.

MazharShafiq
04-06-2020, 08:05 AM
It is reported that ʿAlī b. Al-Ḥusayn b. ʿAlī b.ʾAbī Ṭālib – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

No man speaks well about another while not knowing it to be true except that he is also likely to speak badly about him without knowing it to be true. And two people do not accompany each other doing something that is not obedience to Allāh except that it is likely they will part from each other doing something that is not obedience to Allāh.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 5:274 article 2118.

MazharShafiq
04-06-2020, 08:06 AM
It is reported that Maymūn b. Mihrān – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

There are three things that must be given to both the righteous and the sinful: the ties of the womb (relatives) must be kept connected, whether they are righteous or sinful; trust must be fulfilled, for the righteous and the sinful; and promises must be kept, to the righteous as well as the sinful.

Ibn Abī Shaybah, Al-Muṣannaf 12:298.

MazharShafiq
04-06-2020, 08:07 AM
It is reported that Bilāl b. Saʿd – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

If you see a man being obstinate, argumentative and impressed with his own opinion, then his loss is complete.

Abū Nuʿaym, ʿHilyatu Al-Awliyāʾ 5:228

'Abdullah
04-06-2020, 03:22 PM
The Mad Mufti
It is reported that ‘Abdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
By Allāh, he who gives people verdicts (fatwā) for every question they ask him is crazy (majnūn).

Ibn Battah Al-‘Ukbarī, Ibṭāl Al-Ḥiyal article 81, et al.

Imām Ibn Battah (d. 304H) laments:
So here is Ibn Masʿūd, swearing by Allāh that a person who gives people verdicts for every question they ask him is mad. And [now] if a person swore, he would not be breaking his oath, and if a person said, he would be speaking the truth: that most of the muftis of our time are mad. For you will hardly find a man who is asked about an issue pausing to consider carefully before answering, nor fearing Allāh and bringing to mind that Allāh is watching him, and fearing that He will say to him: What is the basis of your answer? Rather, most of them worry that it will be said: so-and-so was asked a question and he had no answer…

eesa the kiwi
04-07-2020, 05:02 AM
Being Humble When Blessed

It is reported that Qatādah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Whoever has been given wealth, beauty, garments or knowledge and then is not humble will have severe repercussions on the Day of Resurrection.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-Tawāḍuʿ Wa Al-Khumūl ḥadīth 90.

MazharShafiq
04-07-2020, 02:37 PM

The insightful and wise do not trust that they are safe from four things: a past sin about which it is not known what the Lord Almighty will do, the remaining lifespan wherein it is not known what destruction lies, some (apparent) advantage a person is given but which could be a lure (from Allāh) in recompense for his wrongdoing, a misguidance that has been beautified – so that he thinks it is guidance – and a momentary deviation of the heart, for a person can be stripped of his religion without realizing it.

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar Aʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 8:406.

MazharShafiq
04-07-2020, 02:37 PM
It is reported that ʿAlī b. Al-Ḥusayn b. ʿAlī b.ʾAbī Ṭālib – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

No man speaks well about another while not knowing it to be true except that he is also likely to speak badly about him without knowing it to be true. And two people do not accompany each other doing something that is not obedience to Allāh except that it is likely they will part from each other doing something that is not obedience to Allāh.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 5:274 article 2118.

MazharShafiq
04-07-2020, 02:38 PM
ʿAṭāʾ b. Yasār reports:

A man once came to Ibn ʿAbbās and said, “I proposed to a woman and she refused to marry me, then someone else proposed to her and she wanted to marry him; so I became jealous and killed her. Can I repent from this?” [Ibn ʿAbbās] asked, “Is your mother alive?” He replied, “No.” So he said, “Repent (tawbah) to Allāh the mighty and majestic, and worship him as much as you can.”

ʿAṭāʾ said, “So I went and asked Ibn ʿAbbās, ‘Why did you ask him if his mother was alive?’ He replied, ‘I do not know of any action that brings one closer to Allāh than dutifulness to the mother.'”

Al-Bukhārī, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad ḥadīth 4

'Abdullah
04-07-2020, 04:23 PM
Soft Poison
It is reported that ‘Alī b. Abī Tālib wrote to Salmām Al-Farsī – Allāh be pleased with them both – saying:
The likeness of this worldly life (dunyā) is that of a snake: soft to the touch, it will kill you with its poison. So turn away from what impresses you of it, since what stays with you is so little. And do not be concerned about it, since you are certain about its parting. And be most happy in it when you are most heedful of it; for every time its companion takes solace in one of its delights, it gives way to one of its woes.

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Kitāb Al-Zuhd article 164.

eesa the kiwi
04-08-2020, 04:50 AM
Praying for the Tawbah of the Sinner

It is reported that ʿAbdullāh b. Masʿūd – Allāh be pleased with him – said:If you see a man amongst you having committed a sin, do not supplicate Allāh against him and do not revile him; instead, pray to Allāh to cure him and accept his repentance, for when we used to see a man die upon something good, we would have hope for him, and when we used to see a man die upon wrongdoing, we would fear for him.

eesa the kiwi
04-09-2020, 03:24 AM

Fulfil what Allāh has obligated you to do and you will be from the most devout of people, stay away from what Allāh has forbidden you and you will be from the most careful of people, and be satisfied with what Allāh has apportioned for you and you will be from the richest of people.

Hannād b. Al-Sarī, Al-Zuhd, article 1032.

'Abdullah
04-10-2020, 03:59 PM
Umar’s Instructions on the First Night of Ramadan

It is reported that on the first night of Ramaḍān, ‘Umar – Allāh be pleased with him – would pray Maghrib, then say (to the people):
Sit down. Then he would give a small address: Verily the fasting of this month has been made a duty upon you, and standing in night prayer has not been made a duty upon you, but those amongst you who can stand in prayer should do so, for it is from the extra good deeds about which Allāh told us: so whoever cannot stand in prayer, let him sleep on his bed.
And beware of saying: I will fast if so and so fasts and I will stand in night prayer if so and so stands in prayer. Whoever fasts or stands in night prayer, he must make this for Allāh. And you should know that you are in prayer as long as you are waiting for a prayer.
Minimize any vain or false speech in the houses of Allāh (mosques; he said this two or three times). Let none of you fast a few days before the month (in order to avoid missing the beginning of the month; he said this three times). And do not fast until you see [the crescent of the new month] unless it is overcast. If it is overcast, count [the previous month] as 30 days. Then do not break your fasts until you see the night upon the mountain (i.e. you are sure the sun has set).

‘Abd Al-Razzāq Al-Ṣan’ānī, Al-Muṣannaf article 7748.

'Abdullah
04-10-2020, 04:09 PM
Umar and the night prayers of Ramadan

Imām Al-Bukhārī reports in his Ṣaḥīḥ, in the chapter entitled The virtue of one who prays [at night] in Ramaḍān, from ʿAbd Al-Raḥmān b. ʿAbdin Al-Qārī:
I went out to the mosque with ʿUmar b. Al-Khattāb one night in Ramaḍān, and we found people in separate groups: some men praying by themselves and others praying with a small group behind them. ʿUmar said, “I think if I gathered them behind one reciter it would be better.” Later, he made up his mind and gathered them behind Ubay b. Ka’b. On another night, I went out with him again and the people were praying behind their reciter [Ubay]. ʿUmar said, “What a good innovation (bid’ah) this is, but what they are missing by sleeping is better than what they are staying up to pray.” He meant the last part of the night, for the people used to pray in the early part.

This is further clarified by the more detailed report in Ibn Sa’d’s Al-Ṭabaqāt Al-Kubrā Vol.5 p42 from Nawfal b. Iyās Al-Hudhalī:

During the time of ʿUmar b. Al-Khattāb, we used to pray in Ramaḍān in groups – here and there – in the mosque. People would incline to pray behind those who had the best voices. ʿUmar said, “Do I not see that they are treating the Qurān like song? By Allāh, if I can, I will change this.” Only three nights later, he told Ubay b. Ka’b to lead them in prayer, then stood behind the rows and said, “If this is a bid’ah, then what a good bid’ah it is.”

Al-‘Allāmah Al-Mu’allimī Al-Yamānī graded this narration’s chain of transmission ṣaḥīḥ in his treatise Qiyāmu Ramaḍān p51.

Points to note

• We are reminded through this narration to avoid falling into the same problems that ʿUmar sought to solve by appointing a single imām during his Caliphate:

• The appearance of splitting and schism, which Islam disapproves of

• Distracting each other by reciting audibly at the same time in the mosque, reciting over each other

• Preferring imāms and reciters for having nice voices even though others may know more Qurān and be more qualified to lead

• Scholars point out that the statement ‘what a good bid’ah this is’ does not affirm that there is any such thing as a good bid’ah in a religious sense, because innovation in religion is unconditionally and unequivocally blameworthy in the texts of ḥadīth and countless statements of the Salaf. This statement is therefore taken to mean that ʿUmar meant that what he saw was a good development – a bid’ah in the linguistic sense of something new – relative to the situation before he appointed a single imām. This meaning is also clear from the fact that night prayer in congregation in Ramaḍān already has a precedent from Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him.

• Having said that, the report in Ibn Sa’d, ‘if this is a bid’ah, then what a good bid’ah it is’ evidences that ʿUmar never called it a bid’ah in the first place, but was being rhetorical, as suggested by Shaykh Al-Mu’allimī in Qiyām Ramaḍān, in the same way as intended in Sūrah Al-Zukhruf, verse 81, “Say, if Al-Raḥmān has a son, then I am the first of the worshippers.’”

And Allāh knows best.

eesa the kiwi
04-11-2020, 03:25 AM
A Man Should Sit Where He Benefits

It is reported that:ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn – Allāh have mercy on him – would sometimes ride to Makkah and return without entering it (meeting anyone there), and he used to sit with Aslam the freedman of ʿUmar (himself a scholar), so it was said to him, “You leave Quraysh, and instead sit with the slave of Banī ʿAdī!” So he replied, “A man [should] sit where he benefits.”

It is reported that:ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn – Allāh have mercy on him – would enter the masjid and cut his way through the people until he would sit in the circle of Zayd b. Aslam. Nāfiʿ b. Jubayr said to him, “Allāh forgive you, you are the sayyid of the people, yet you come traversing the people to sit with this slave.” So ʿAlī b. Ḥusayn replied, “Knowledge is to be sought and come to and looked for wherever it is.”Ibid.

eesa the kiwi
04-12-2020, 02:59 AM
A man said to Wahb bin Munabah rahimahullaah:‘

So and so spoke ill of you’Whereupon Wahb rahimahullaah replied:‘Did Shaytaan not find anyone better than you to deliver this news?’[Minhaaj al-Qaasideen p. 183]

eesa the kiwi
04-13-2020, 03:32 AM
It is reported that Sufyān Al-Thawrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Safety lies in not wanting to be known.Al-Dhahabī, Siyar Aʿlām Al-Nubalāʾ 7:258.

'Abdullah
04-13-2020, 06:20 PM
Peo-ple Change & Allah For-gives

Do not be hasty in praising people or blaming them, for perhaps what pleases you from a person today will displease you tomorrow, and perhaps what displeases you today, will please you tomorrow. Indeed, people change. It is Allāh who forgives the sins. And Allāh is more merciful to his servant the day he meets him than a mother who lays out a bed for her child in an empty patch of land and feels [the ground]: if there is a risk of being stung, it will be her instead of him (her child), and if there is a risk of being pricked by a thorn, it will be her instead of him.

Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān article 6177, and others.

'Abdullah
04-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Planting Nifāq

ʿAbdullah b. Mas’ūd – Allah be pleased with him – said:
Singing sprouts hypocrisy (nifāq) in the heart as water sprouts greens and herbs.

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā Vol.2 p469, and Al-Bayhaqī, Al-Sunan Al-Kubrā Vol. 52 p231.
Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawzīyah – Allah have mercy on him – said in Madārij Al-Sālikīn, Vol.1 p487:

These are the words of someone who fully understood singing and its effects, for no one regularly sings or listens to song except that his heart falls into nifāq without him realizing. If such a person understood the reality of nifāq and its end he would see it in his own heart. Never do the love of song and the love of Qur`ān come together in a person’s heart except that one expels the other. I and others have witnessed how heavy the Qur`ān feels to singers and song-listeners; how they coil when it is recited and how they get angry with a reciter when he recites too long for them (in prayer etc); and how their hearts do not benefit from what he recites: they are not moved to do anything by it. But when the Qur`ān of Shaytān comes, lā ilāha illallāh! How they lower their voices and settle down! How their hearts feel at peace and how the crying and emotions start, how moved they are inwardly and outwardly and spend on clothing and perfume and staying up hoping for a long night ahead. If this is not nifāq then it is certainly the way to it and its foundation.

'Abdullah
04-13-2020, 06:36 PM
If you have no shame, then do as you please
One of the children of Al-Qa’nabi narrated this story:
“A regular drinker of wine, my father used to keep company with disreputable young men. He one day invited them and then sat down in front of his door, waiting for them to arrive. While he was waiting, Shu’bah passed by on his donkey and a number of people were racing behind him in order to keep up with him.
“Who is that?” asked Al-Qa’nabi.
“Shu’bah,” answered someone seated nearby.
“And what is Shu’bah?”
“A scholar of hadith.”
“Recite a hadith to me,” said Al-Qa’nabi, who was wearing an indecent red-colored izar.
“You are not one of the people of hadith so I do not feel obliged to narrate to you,” said Shu’bah.
Al-Qa’nabi took out a knife and pointed it at Shu’bah. “You will report to me a narration or I will injure you,” said Al-Qa’nabi.
“Mansur reported to us,” begain Shu’bah, “From Rib’i from Abu Mas’ud who said:
The Messenger of Allah said, “If you have no shame, then do as you please.” [Sahih Bukhari]
Al-Qa’nabi tossed the knife to the ground and returned to the inside of his home. He took all the wine bottles he had and emptied them on the floor. He said to his mother, “My companions will soon arrive. When they come, admit them inside and offer them food. When they are finished eating, tell them what I did with the alcohol so they will then leave.”
Al-Qa’nabi immediately left for Al-Madinah, where he spent the following years of his life as a student of Imam Malik bin Anas, and had the honor of reporting hadith from the imam.

Source : Stories of Repentance – by Muhammad Abduh Mughawiri

eesa the kiwi
04-14-2020, 01:35 AM
I Would Rather Sing a Song

It is reported that a man once came to Al-Shaʿbī – Allāh have mercy on him – and asked him about something, so he replied:“Ibn Masʿūd used to say such-and-such [about this issue].” The man asked, “But tell me your opinion.” He replied, “Are you not all astonished by this man? I inform him of what Ibn Masʿūd [said] and he asks me my opinion. My religion is more important to me than that. By Allāh, I would rather sing a song than inform you of my opinion.”

Al-Dārimī, Al-Sunan ḥadīth 108.

'Abdullah
04-14-2020, 07:03 PM
Make Fasting Different
Sulaymān b. Mūsā [d119H] – Allah have mercy on him – said:

When you fast, your hearing and sight should also fast, and your tongue should fast by keeping away from lies; and do not harm your servant. Don’t let the day you fast be the same as the day you don’t fast.

Tārīkh Dimishq Vol. 22 p389.

Al-Sawm (fasting) literally means to keep away from something. Fasting of the faculties of hearing and seeing means to keep away from listening to and looking at things that are displeasing to Allah, in the same way that we stay away from food and drink when we are fasting.

'Abdullah
04-15-2020, 06:10 PM
​Sleeping during the day [best and worst times]
Khawāt b. Jubayr – Allāh be pleased with him – said:
Sleeping in the first part of the day is ignorance, and in the middle of the day [good] character, and in the last part of the day stupidity.
Al-Bukhārī, Al-Adab Al-Mufrad. Shaykh Al-Albānī graded its chain of transmission ṣaḥīḥ. See Ṣaḥīḥ Al-Adab Al-Mufrad hadith #947.

eesa the kiwi
04-16-2020, 04:35 AM
The Diagnosis and the Cure

It is reported that Qatādah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Verily the Qurān guides you to your disease and your treatment: as for your disease, it is your sins; and as for your treatment, it is to seek the forgiveness of Allāh.
Al-Bayhaqī, Shuʿab Al-Īmān 9:347 no. 6745.

MazharShafiq
04-16-2020, 08:13 AM
Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet (ﷺ) said "If a house fly falls in the drink of anyone of you, he should dip it (in the drink) and take it out, for one of its wings has a disease and the other has the cure for the disease."

'Abdullah
04-16-2020, 10:46 PM
Better to be Dust

ʿAbdullāh b. ‘Amr – Allāh be please with them both – said:

It would be better for a person to be turned to dust than to deliberately walk in front of a person who is praying.

Ibn ʿAbd Al-Barr, Al-Tamhīd. Graded sahīh by Shaykh Al-Albānī in Sahīh Al-Targhībi wa Al-Tarhīb Vol. 1 p135

eesa the kiwi
04-16-2020, 11:28 PM
Someone reported to Hasan Basri that a certain man was in his death throes. He commented:

"He was in his death throes since his appearance on earth. He will now be released."

eesa the kiwi
04-18-2020, 04:15 AM
Delving into Falsehood (I’ll take what’s good)

It is reported that Ibrāhīm b. Ad-ham – Allāh have mercy on him – said:Delving into falsehood removes the ability to recognize the truth from the heart.

Abu Nu’aym, Hilyatu Al-Awliyā` 8:22.

eesa the kiwi
04-19-2020, 04:05 AM
Mixing or Withdrawing for Gain

It is reported that Wahb b. Munabbih – Allāh have mercy on him – used to say:The believer mixes with others in order to learn, keeps quiet to keep safe (from sinning), speaks in order to understand, and secludes himself for the attainment (of good).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Al-‘Uzlah article 99.

'Abdullah
04-20-2020, 05:56 PM
Patience is that the heart does not feel anger towards that which is destined and that the mouth does not complain.
~Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

'Abdullah
04-20-2020, 07:15 PM
He who keeps his heart near God will find peace and tranquility, whilst he who gives his heart to the people will find restlessness and apprehension.
~Ibn Qayyim Al-Jawziyya

eesa the kiwi
04-21-2020, 12:25 AM
It is reported that Ya’lā b. ‘Ubayd said,

“We entered upon Ibn Sūqah, who said: ‘O nephew, let me relate to you something that will hopefully benefit you; for it benefited me. ‘Atā b. Abī Rabāh once said to us:'”Those before you used to consider idle talk to be anything other than the Book of Allāh, or the enjoining of good, or the forbidding of evil, or speaking for the sake of your basic living needs. Do you deny that there are recording angels appointed over you? Sitting on your right and your left? Never is a word said except there is an observer prepared to record? Are you not afraid (ashamed) that your record of words and deeds be spread open only to discover that there is nothing of the hereafter in it?
Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 5:86

eesa the kiwi
04-21-2020, 11:51 PM
‘Umar Ibn ‘Abdil-‘Azeez (rahimahullah) said:“

Taqwaa is not fasting by day and standing for prayers by night. But taqwaa is to desert/leave what Allah has forbidden and to fulfill what He has commanded - and whoever puts forth goodness after that, then that is khair upon khair.”

(Jaami’ ‘Uloom Wal Hikam, by Ibn Rajb p. 170)

'Abdullah
04-22-2020, 07:25 PM
Following Hadith Exactly
Abū Ja’far reports:
Whenever Ibn ‘Umar – Allāh be pleased with him – heard a ḥadīth from Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him – he never went beyond it, and he never fell short of it.
Ibn Mājah, Al-Sunan, ḥadīth #4.
Shaykh Al-Albānī graded this narration ṣaḥīḥ in his edition of the Sunan.
Shaykh Al-Albānī explained that ‘he never went beyond it’ means: he never added anything to what was in the ḥadīth or overstepped the bounds of the ḥadīth; and ‘he never fell short of it’ means: he never neglected what was in the ḥadīth.

eesa the kiwi
04-23-2020, 12:15 AM
Sayyiduna Umar on Abu Bakr and BilalJābir b. ‘Abdillāh reports that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattāb – Allāh be pleased with them – used to say:

Abū Bakr is our sayyid (master/leader), and he freed our sayyid – meaning Bilāl.
Al-Bukhārī, Al-Sahīh, hadith 3754.

MazharShafiq
04-23-2020, 09:23 AM
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle ﷺ said, "Whoever observes fasts during the month of Ramadan out of sincere faith, and hoping to attain Allah's rewards, then all his past sins will be forgiven."

حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ سَلاَمٍ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ فُضَيْلٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏
"‏ مَنْ صَامَ رَمَضَانَ إِيمَانًا وَاحْتِسَابًا غُفِرَ لَهُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنْ ذَنْبِهِ ‏"‏‏.‏

eesa the kiwi
04-23-2020, 11:49 PM
It is reported that Imām Al-Zuhrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Those of our scholars who went before us used to say,”Adherence to the Sunnah is salvation, but knowledge is taken away quickly, so the revival of knowledge means the stability of religion and worldly affairs, and the loss of knowledge means the loss of all that.”

Al-Lālakā`ī, Sharh Usūl I’tiqād Ahl Al-Sunnah article 136

eesa the kiwi
04-24-2020, 11:52 PM
It is reported that Sufyān b. ‘Uyainah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

Verily, the Messenger of Allāh ﷺ is the highest standard; things are measured by him: his character, lifestyle and behavior. Whatever agrees with [these] is true and correct, and whatever contradicts [them] is wrong.

Al-Khatīb Al-Baghdādī, Akhlāq Al-Rāwī wa Ādāb Al-Sāmi’ article 8.

eesa the kiwi
04-25-2020, 08:46 AM
It is reported that ‘Alī b. Abī Tālib – Allāh be pleased with him – said:Mention what you will of the greatness of Allāh, but Allāh is greater than anything you say. And mention what you will of the Fire, but it is more severe than anything you say. And mention what you will of Paradise, but it is better than anything you say.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 853.

MazharShafiq
04-25-2020, 03:38 PM
It is narrated that ‘Uthmān b. ʿAffān – Allāh be pleased with him – said in a sermon:

Son of Adam! Know that the angel of death who has been assigned to you has not ceased to pass you and move on to others, ever since you have been in this world. But it is as if he is about to pass someone else and move on to target you, so be careful and prepare for him (by correcting your deeds). And do not forget him, for he does not forget you. And know o son of Adam, if you are heedless about yourself and do not prepare, no one else will prepare for you. You must meet Allah the Mighty and Majestic, so take for yourself and do not leave it to someone else. Peace be on you.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm 2: 73, 74.

MazharShafiq
04-25-2020, 03:39 PM
It is reported that Bishr b. Al-Ḥārith said:

I heard Al-Fuḍayl b. ʿAyyāḍ say, “It has reached me that Allāh has barred repentance from every adherent of bid’ah (religious innovation), and the worst of the people of bid’ah are those who hate the Companions of Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s peace and blessings be upon him.” He then turned to me and said, “Make the firmest of your deeds with Allāh your love for the Companions of His Prophet, for [then], were you to come to the standing of judgment (on the Day of Resurrection) with the likes of the Earth in sins, Allāh would forgive you; but if you come [on that Day] with even the smallest amount of hatred for them, no [good] deed will benefit you.”

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm 5: 412.

MazharShafiq
04-25-2020, 03:40 PM
It is reported that Abū Al-‘Āliyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

I would travel for days to a man to hear [knowledge/ḥadīth ] from him, and the first thing I would check about him is his prayer: if he performed it properly I would stay and hear [knowledge] from him, but if he neglected it, I would return without hearing from him, and I would say, ‘He will be even more neglectful of other matters.’

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baghdādī, Al-Riḥlah fī Ṭalab Al-Ḥadīth article 22; Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 4:209.

eesa the kiwi
04-26-2020, 01:15 AM
It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

How strange it is that a people whose departure (from this world to the next) has been announced, and whose predecessors have already departed, still play around!

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 843.

MazharShafiq
04-26-2020, 08:37 AM
Abū Isḥāq [Al-Fazārī] states:

The enemy was never able to stand up to the Companions of Allāh’s Messenger – Allāh’s praise and peace be upon him, so when the news of the defeat of the Romans came to Heraclius at Antioch he asked [his people], “Woe to you, tell me about these people who fight you, are they not humans like you?” They replied, “Indeed, they are.” He asked, “So are you more in number or them?” They replied, “We outnumber them greatly in all places.” He said, “So how is it that you are defeated whenever you meet them [in battle].” A senior and esteemed elder amongst them replied, “Because they stand in prayer at night, fast during the day, fulfill their agreements and promises, enjoin what is right and forbid what is evil, they are fair and just amongst themselves; and because we drink wine, fornicate, commit sin, break our agreements, steal, oppress and do injustice, enjoin the committing of what angers Allāh and forbid what pleases Allāh the Mighty and Majestic, and we cause evil and corruption in the land.” Heraclius said, “You are the one who has told me the truth.”

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm 4:91.

MazharShafiq
04-26-2020, 08:38 AM
It is reported that Abū Al-‘Āliyah – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

I would travel for days to a man to hear [knowledge/ḥadīth ] from him, and the first thing I would check about him is his prayer: if he performed it properly I would stay and hear [knowledge] from him, but if he neglected it, I would return without hearing from him, and I would say, ‘He will be even more neglectful of other matters.’

Al-Khaṭīb Al-Baghdādī, Al-Riḥlah fī Ṭalab Al-Ḥadīth article 22; Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 4:209.

character, ḥadīth, knowledgeAbū Al-ʿĀliyah

eesa the kiwi
04-27-2020, 09:20 AM
It is reported that Al-Hasan Al-Basrī – Allāh have mercy on him – once said during the funeral of a man:May Allāh have mercy on the man who works for the likes of this day; for today you are able to do what these brothers of yours, the residents of these graves, cannot do. So make full use of your health and free time before the day of distress and accounts comes upon you.Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dhamm Al-Dunyā article 53.

eesa the kiwi
04-28-2020, 06:35 AM
Living the Dream

It is reported that Yūnus b. ‘Ubayd (d. 139H) – Allāh have mercy on him – said:I only liken the worldly life (dunyā) to a man who, whilst sleeping, sees in his dream things he likes and things he does not like. Then he wakes up (the world ends and the next life starts).

Ibn Abī Al-Dunyā, Dham Al-Dunyā article 21.

It is reported that Al-Ḥasan Al-Baṣrī – Allāh have mercy on him – said:The dunyā, from its beginning to its end, is only like a man who takes a nap, sees in his dream what pleases him, and then wakes up.

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-ʿIlm article 2056.

MazharShafiq
04-28-2020, 03:53 PM
Ibn Qudamah (rahimahumullah) once said that when one slanders you, you should be thankful that he spoke something about you which was untrue, for there are many blemishes on your account which are true which Allah hid from the world

"My servants, you who have transgressed against yourselves, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Truly Allah forgives all wrong actions. He is the Ever-Forgiving, the Most Merciful." (Surat az-Zumar: 53)

eesa the kiwi
04-29-2020, 08:20 AM
Non-Racial Supremacy

It is reported that Abū ‘Ubaydah b. Al-Jarrāḥ – Allāh be pleased with him – said:O people! Yes, I am a man from Quraysh, but there is not a white man (literally: red), nor a black man amongst you who exceeds me in righteousness (taqwā) except that I wish I was in his skin.

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā` 1:18.

MazharShafiq
04-29-2020, 03:05 PM
And from his narration on the authority of Ibn 'Abbas who said regarding Allah's saying: (Freedom from obligation): '(Freedom from obligation) this is freedom from obligation (from Allah and His messenger towards those of the idolaters with whom ye made a treaty) but then they broke that treaty; freedom from obligation is the breaking of treaties. Allah says: whosoever has a treaty with the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) let him know that it is broken. Some of them had a treaty lasting four months, and some of more nine months, while others had treaties for longer or shorter periods. Others had no treaty with Allah's Messenger at all. All these treaties were broken except for the treaty with the Banu Kinanah which was for nine months. Whoever had a treaty for more or less than four months, their treaties were ratified to last four month beginning from the day of immolation; and whoever had a treaty of four months, that treaty was ratified to last four months beginning from the day of immolation. Those who had a treaty of nine months, their treaties were left as they were, while those who did not sign any treaty, were granted one of 50 days beginning from the day of immolation until the departure of the person who was in a state of ritual consecration:

eesa the kiwi
04-30-2020, 08:54 AM
The Sly Heretic [Bidah]

It is reported that Mufaddal b. Muhalhal – Allāh have mercy on him – said:If the heretic started mentioning his bid’ah right at the beginning of the sitting, you would be on your guard and flee from him, but what he does is begin by mentioning ḥadīth from the Sunnah. Then, he slips his bid’ah in on you. It might then stick to your heart; but when will it leave your heart?

Ibn Battah, Al-Ibānah Al-Kubrā, 2:444.

eesa the kiwi
05-01-2020, 06:23 AM
It is reported that ‘Abdullāh b. Aḥmad b. Ḥanbal – Allāh have mercy on him – said:

I asked my father, “Who are the [real] people?” He replied, “The [real] people are none but those who say ḥaddathanā and akhbaranā(those who report ḥadīth).”

Abū Bakr Al-Daynūrī, Al-Mujālasah wa Jawāhir Al-‘Ilm article 3438.

seekingknowledge
05-01-2020, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MazharShafiq
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle ﷺ said, "Whoever observes fasts during the month of Ramadan out of sincere faith, and hoping to attain Allah's rewards, then all his past sins will be forgiven."

حَدَّثَنَا ابْنُ سَلاَمٍ، قَالَ أَخْبَرَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ فُضَيْلٍ، قَالَ حَدَّثَنَا يَحْيَى بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، عَنْ أَبِي سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ أَبِي هُرَيْرَةَ، قَالَ قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه وسلم ‏
"‏ مَنْ صَامَ رَمَضَانَ إِيمَانًا وَاحْتِسَابًا غُفِرَ لَهُ مَا تَقَدَّمَ مِنْ ذَنْبِهِ ‏"‏‏.‏
Is that only for the last 10 days?

Caplets
05-01-2020, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by seekingknowledge
Is that only for the last 10 days?

السلام عليكم

"...Praise be to Allah.

Firstly:

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever fasts Ramadan out of faith and in hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (38) and Muslim (759).
Fasting Ramadan is only achieved by fasting all the days. If someone does not fast all of it, he cannot be described as having fasted Ramadan; rather he may be described as having fasted part of it, or having fasted the month except a few days.

Al-Kermaani (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

The words “fasted Ramadan” means in the month of Ramadaan. If you ask: Is it sufficient to do the least of what may be described as fasting, even if he fasted only one day, to be included in this hadith?

I say: Customarily it cannot be said that someone fasted Ramadan unless he fasted the entire month. The context clearly indicates that.

If you ask about the one who had an excuse, such as one who is sick, and did not fast during the month, and if he had not been sick he would have fasted, and his intention was that he would have fasted, were it not for that reason: is he included in this hadith?

I say: Yes, just as the sick person who prays sitting because he has an excuse will have the reward of one who prays standing. This was stated by the leading scholars.

End quote from al-Kawaakib ad-Daraari (1/159).

[...]

In Ramadan, there are other righteous deeds that will expiate sins apart from fasting. One of these deeds is spending the last ten nights of Ramadan in prayer, out of faith and in hope of reward. Perhaps the one who spends these nights in prayer will be enabled to find Laylat al-Qadr; spending that night in prayer will bring the same forgiveness of sins as fasting Ramadan.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever spends Laylat al-Qadr in prayer out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (35) and Muslim (760)...."

--------

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/3120...ll-of-its-days

eesa the kiwi
05-02-2020, 09:18 AM
Imām Sa’īd b. Al-Musayyib – Allāh have mercy on him – once saw a man praying more than two rak’ah after sunrise the beginning of Fajr, making many bows and prostrations, and so he forbade him. The man said, “O Abu Muḥammad, is Allāh going to punish me for praying?” Sa’īd said, “No, but He will punish you for contradicting the Sunnah.”
Al-Bayhaqī, As-Sunan Al-Kubraa 2:466. graded ṣaḥīḥ by Shaykh Al-Albānī. See Irwā Al-Ghalīl2:236.

MazharShafiq
05-02-2020, 03:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Caplets

السلام عليكم

"...Praise be to Allah.

Firstly:

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever fasts Ramadan out of faith and in hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (38) and Muslim (759).
Fasting Ramadan is only achieved by fasting all the days. If someone does not fast all of it, he cannot be described as having fasted Ramadan; rather he may be described as having fasted part of it, or having fasted the month except a few days.

Al-Kermaani (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

The words “fasted Ramadan” means in the month of Ramadaan. If you ask: Is it sufficient to do the least of what may be described as fasting, even if he fasted only one day, to be included in this hadith?

I say: Customarily it cannot be said that someone fasted Ramadan unless he fasted the entire month. The context clearly indicates that.

If you ask about the one who had an excuse, such as one who is sick, and did not fast during the month, and if he had not been sick he would have fasted, and his intention was that he would have fasted, were it not for that reason: is he included in this hadith?

I say: Yes, just as the sick person who prays sitting because he has an excuse will have the reward of one who prays standing. This was stated by the leading scholars.

End quote from al-Kawaakib ad-Daraari (1/159).

[...]

In Ramadan, there are other righteous deeds that will expiate sins apart from fasting. One of these deeds is spending the last ten nights of Ramadan in prayer, out of faith and in hope of reward. Perhaps the one who spends these nights in prayer will be enabled to find Laylat al-Qadr; spending that night in prayer will bring the same forgiveness of sins as fasting Ramadan.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “Whoever spends Laylat al-Qadr in prayer out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (35) and Muslim (760)...."

--------

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/3120...ll-of-its-days
thanks for useful information and giving details.

eesa the kiwi
05-03-2020, 08:58 AM
Stupid: Asking for Quran without Sunnah

It is reported that ‘Imrān b. Husayn – Allāh be pleased with him – was once relating hadīth amongst a group of people, when a man said:Leave this and give us something from the Book of Allāh. ‘Imrān said, “You are a dunce (stupid). Do you find in the Book of Allāh details of prayer. Do you find in the Book of Allāh details of fasting!? This Qur`ān prescribes those matters, and the Sunnah explains them.”

Al-Harawī, Dham Al-Kalām article 244, et alwith various wordings.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.