/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learning a prayer

Samkurd
01-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone,

Some of u may have seen me here but i havnt visited in a long time..

I always get into the habit of becoming a devout muslim then a few days later it deteriorates into nothing again and i stop praying.

I think the main problem is that i dont actually understand what im saying.. I am born into an arabic family but living in the UK i forgot it all when i was a child and only speak english. I can speak enough to get me by but when i pray it feels as though it has no meaning to it...

I will try learn the english translations in the book i got but i wanted to ask one thing.

During my prayers i only pray two different prayers.. Al Fatihah and Al kawthar (spelling?) only because these are the only two i know by heart. Is it ok to only do two prayers during the times needed to pray?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
UmmSqueakster
01-20-2008, 12:57 PM
When I was learning to pray, a very kind sister made me a set of cards that had a line in arabic, followed by the meaning in english. As I prayed, I would read the arabic alloud, and then read the english to myself in my head. That way I would know what I was saying, and it greatly helped to make my salat have more meaning.

I made copies of those cards that you can download here - http://www.mybloop.com/rahma/Islam/salat.doc

And yes, it's ok to use those two surahs while you learn others. I only knew ikhlas for the longest time and would use it over and over and over again.

Samkurd
01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
thank you so much. I found a good product company 'Learning roots' for children but i can use them well. Easy to follow prayer times and calendar to let you monitor how many times you pray.

Thanks again!

mimian
01-31-2008, 07:54 PM
i have the same problem here.im a new convert.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.