/* */

PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce your 'geem'?

truemuslim
01-11-2008, 11:34 PM
:sl:

just curious on how you all pronounce the arabic letter 'geem'.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
01-11-2008, 11:53 PM
depends on the situation and the word?
if you use the word 'Ingeleezi' you obviousely have to say it with a G like good, if your calling out to your friend whose name happens to be George you'll have to use the 'Jee' ..
for all intensive purposed I'd stay away from 'Egytpianized' Arabic, when reading the Quraan especially as an Egyptian spin on some words might render a completely different meaning to it.. in some cases its exact opposite.. and it isn't good to tamper with the Quraan

:w:

truemuslim
01-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Lol yeah abrosia, and yeah leave it in arabic only. i like the true arabic language the 'fus7a' lol

Woodrow
01-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Both seems like the best answer. It will depend on the word. At the moment I can only think of words with the "g" um sound, like in Ain al Ghazal. OOOps, it has the "J" ust sound in Jameel. I just remembered that Ain al Ghazal is very Jameel.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
truemuslim
01-12-2008, 12:05 AM
yay woodrow talks like me! lol

Omari
01-12-2008, 02:39 PM
i...pronounce it properly :D

Malaikah
01-13-2008, 08:45 AM

Neither! Neither G or J is the proper way of saying it...

north_malaysian
01-14-2008, 10:39 AM
I use the french "j" like "je suis de la Malaisie"...:happy:

But when reading the koran I use the english "j" like "I love jam"...

amirah_87
01-16-2008, 01:36 PM

Like Sister Purest said; it depends on the word. I pronounce it as a "j". But when I'm talkin' in some of the Yemeni dialects I go with the "Ga" all the way! :rollseyes

Khaldun
01-16-2008, 05:36 PM

It is sad to see how the arabic language is getting battered these days egyptians and yemenis inventing their own letter "G" which isnt even to be found in the arabic alphabet!

If you are an old somali aunty you would probably proununce your "Jeem" as something between a "Jeem" and "Sheen" which would come out as a "Jsheem" it is very fun to listen to, although when it comes to the Quran its not as fun. no offense to any sisters who happen to be somali

truemuslim
01-16-2008, 05:39 PM
^^^ lol yyeah about the jsheem thing... alot of ppl talk like that...syrians and stuff... oh and egypt and yemen isnt thte only countries that talk like that no more...other countries like egypt and lebenon and stuff make new words! then when i watch turkish or iranian tv i hear those words... sso they talk in arabic and turkish and iranian at the same time...they need to learn one language and speak it alone...lol

P.S. WOW UR NAME IS RED AND UR THING UNDER UR NAME IS FLAMIN!!how u do that?

Khaldun
01-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Even Shaykh Thubayti in madeenah had that problem but alhamdulilah it is corrected now. That is Allah's grace; He grants it to whom He pleases, and Allah is the Lord of mighty grace
[Surah Jumu'ah Verse 4]

truemuslim
01-16-2008, 07:17 PM
a problem pronouncing it?

BlackMamba
01-16-2008, 08:10 PM
I pronounce it like sudais

Anwarica
01-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Both, but I only pronounce "J" when reading Quran. Otherwise, I use "G" of Gum.

Danah
01-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I pronounce it like 'j' ust in reading Quran or any case, there are some countries like eygpt prounouce it like 'g' um.
but her in my country we say it j

but I think the pure arabic is say it j
because 'g' um have another letter in arabic which is ق

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.