/* */

PDA

View Full Version : your life as a Muslim in America?

thirdwatch512
01-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Hello all,

I am trying to get a better understanding of Muslim daily life. So, I was wondering...

As an atheist, my life as an American is typical.. Wake up, go to work, come home, watch tv, hang out with my lover, go on a walk, walk the dogs, go out to eat at olive garden or TGIF, sleep in on the weekends.. You know, the typical!

My question, is how is your life as a Muslim American DIFFERENT then that of a typical American? Like besides the prayers, and Islamic rituals, Qu'ranic readings, etc, are some of your personal ways(like watching tv, walking, something like that) different then that of Americans?

Basically, how is your life different then an American?(Or is it even different?!) Do you go to the mall, to Target, Petco, all the "American things."? Do you watch the Superbowl with a few friends, go ice skating on a cold day, watch some tv shows like Greys Anatomy, Desperate housewives, NCIS, etc, eat that muy rico tex mex food on ocassions, celebrate july 4th etc?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
01-16-2008, 06:59 AM
why just america? :(

UmmSqueakster
01-16-2008, 01:49 PM
Having lived as both a non muslim american and a muslim american, I can say that the major different in my life between the two periods, aside from ibadah (worship) throughout the day and thinking of God a lot more than I used to, is that I'm trying to watch less television, and I don't do any of the stuff surrounding the whole christmas season.

I still go to the mall. I still go to the gym. I run, albiet covered, in long pants, long sleeve shirt and a scarf. I've taught my husband (an immigrant from Egypt) to ice skate. We recently bought a fish from Pet Co. I'm prepping for the Packers game this Sunday (can't find my cheesehead earrings, dur). We like to see fire works on the fourth of July.

north_malaysian
01-16-2008, 02:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
Hello all,

I am trying to get a better understanding of Muslim daily life. So, I was wondering...

As an atheist, my life as an American is typical.. Wake up, go to work, come home, watch tv, hang out with my lover, go on a walk, walk the dogs, go out to eat at olive garden or TGIF, sleep in on the weekends.. You know, the typical!

My question, is how is your life as a Muslim American DIFFERENT then that of a typical American? Like besides the prayers, and Islamic rituals, Qu'ranic readings, etc, are some of your personal ways(like watching tv, walking, something like that) different then that of Americans?

Basically, how is your life different then an American?(Or is it even different?!) Do you go to the mall, to Target, Petco, all the "American things."? Do you watch the Superbowl with a few friends, go ice skating on a cold day, watch some tv shows like Greys Anatomy, Desperate housewives, NCIS, etc, eat that muy rico tex mex food on ocassions, celebrate july 4th etc?
all american tv shows are available in Malaysia... and Muslims watch it too...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Well I'm pretty sure most of us do that, except to a limit, within the boundaries of Islam. Well tv could be just a waste of time, but if you do watch, it depends what your watching....

Like I try to avoid any movies or shows that are umm say dirty or sending out the wrong message. Well I dont watch tv much anymore, which is fine lol. Iceskating sure does sound fun! But ive never done it lol. And if we eat something, its gotta be halal...unless of course you can't get any for some reason. Otherwise, besides all our duties, we are normal human beings just like you :D

thirdwatch512
01-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh, it does not just have to be! I was just asking how the life of a Muslim American differs from that of others(if it even does) because I live in america and most people here seem to be Muslim americans. Brits, French, Malay.. Please answer too!

syilla
01-17-2008, 03:08 AM
I'm posting my daily routine in public :uuh: ...no judging pleaseeee... :D just keep to yourself. :P

during weekdays monday to friday...

i woke up early in the morning 5.30am to prepare my son to school (well...not really a school just a simple islamic preschool, i need some help in tutoring him...lol) and breakfast for the family. And prepare myself too before going to work. And every members of the family...or should i say most malay family will have a quick cold shower early in the morning. I have to say this...because i'm so shocked that some chinese don't take their shower before going to work...(i was in their forum the other day...lol) :uuh: But thats our culture... hehe not theirs.

At 6.00am we pray fajr together.

at 8am go to work after 'salam' the family and saying goodbye.

At the office i try my best to do salah duha if i reach the office early before 8.30am. It is not an obligation.

At 1.20 during lunch time, i do salah zuhr. After the office hours i pray salah asr. (every prayer it took only 5-10 minutes)

Back home around 6.15pm, cook a bit for dinner. Take a quick shower and had dinner with the family.

At 7.30pm my hubby go to masjid, and i pray at home with my son and my mother. After that i read a bit of quran with my son. At 8.00pm i prepare my son for bed and we read story books together.

At 9.30pm my son already sleep, and i went to sleep too :hiding: after pray isha'. yeah...yeah...i sleep very early. I'm used to it...i can't stay up late anymore...ever since i become a mother. I'm getting tired easily.

During the weekends, we usually spend our day cleaning the house, going to the market or visiting families. Sometimes we love to go shopping together. (It is a malaysian culture...shopping for an entertainment). Sometimes after fajr prayer we go to the park together...cause my hubby and my mother love to jog plus my son...excluding me :hiding:.

thirdwatch512
01-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Hey you guys! Thanks so much for the responses.

I have always wondered what Islamic life was like, because what I do always seems to be illegal in Islam. Lol I gamble, drink, party, hang out with people of the opposite gender, listen to music, walk my dogs, etc. My life is basically defined on many things that goes against Islam.

But, I suppose we probably have more in common then we think. We all probably go out to eat here and there, go shopping at the mall, watch tv, cook, etc!

So what kind of TV shows do you guys watch? Just curious!

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Hmm well I like Supernatural, Lost, and Heroes :D I'll watch Disney channel a lot too Lol. Just lately I haven't been sittin in front of the tv. Otherwise yea :D Or unless there are any good movies on that I have not seen :p

true believer
02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by thirdwatch512
Hello all,

hey
we dont come from a diffrent planet! lol
we are still humans and we do the same times as u
except take out all the haram [forbidden] things. as u know, muslims
pray 5 times a day, we dont date but we still spend time with [if ur married]
our wife or husbed, muslims are not supposed to own dogs [so no walking doggies for us], we work, go uni, we still go out with friends in our spare time, yes we do shop, we listen to quran if we can and we dont celebrate anything else apart from Eid and other islamic celebrations. i think dats it.:)

truthforpeace
05-26-2008, 04:58 PM
this was very helpful for me! thank you for all of your replies :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.