/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Difficulties in attending interviews as a muslim

ansar.tajudeen
01-19-2008, 04:46 PM
asalamualaikum ..

dear muslim brothers and sisters beware about wat u speak and wat u spoken about in inteviews

just i need to share my experience when i attended an interview today..

In the interview---i need to speak for a moment for that they gave me one topic "How did u enjoyed this new year"??..:embarrass

wat a difficult situation...I simply told them its not for us (AS A MUSLIM)....
For the sake of getting a job v r not to lie at any circumstances
imsad

May ALLAH Protect us from all things which harm us..
AMEEN!:cry:

Inshallah i will get good job through ALLAH's blessing,I ask u all to make DUA for me and for those as like me in this world.:D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Woman
01-19-2008, 04:56 PM
:sl:

may Allah bless u with a good job , Ameen.

aamirsaab
01-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Possible answers to that question:

1) Oh I don't actually celebrate new year.

2) Slept through the whole thing really.

Seriously, that position is not at all difficult. I personally think you over-reacted. Or your description of the event was not accurate.

ansar.tajudeen
01-19-2008, 06:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
Possible answers to that question:

1) Oh I don't actually celebrate new year.

2) Slept through the whole thing really.

Seriously, that position is not at all difficult. I personally think you over-reacted. Or your description of the event was not accurate.
S brother my event was not in elaborate manner here.. I just mention roughly my situation here .........

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Omari
01-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Still, there are many ways, like aamir-saab said, to go around questions without neccessarily lieng.
For example if i was asked if I enjoyed this new year. I would say, for example;
Yes, i was glad to see my family that day. [very vague answer, but it's telling the truth.]

Anyway, inshalah you will get a good job should you make the effort. Pray to allah, only he gives, only he takes.

Omari

snakelegs
01-19-2008, 07:26 PM
i don't celebrate xmas or new year either.
i agree with aamirsaab - you can just give a vague answer.

Whatsthepoint
01-19-2008, 07:31 PM
An employer should not discriminate job applicants on grounds of religion, so muslims should not be afraid to say they do not celebrate the new years' eve beacuse they're muslims!

جوري
01-19-2008, 07:35 PM
the best thing to do in an interview is to be calm and confident.. pls get this book

I think if you'd told them what you had actually done, i.e had dinner, slept early. I caught the twilight zone marathoon, prepared for such and such, whatever it is you'd actually done, it would have been better off than saying I don't celebrate because I am a muslim.. I assure you had you been a non-muslim and said I dodged my duties spent the day getting drunk would have been looked upon just as suspiciously!

:w:

AvarAllahNoor
01-19-2008, 09:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ansar.tajudeen
asalamualaikum ..

dear muslim brothers and sisters beware about wat u speak and wat u spoken about in inteviews

just i need to share my experience when i attended an interview today..

In the interview---i need to speak for a moment for that they gave me one topic "How did u enjoyed this new year"??..:embarrass

wat a difficult situation...I simply told them its not for us (AS A MUSLIM)....
You don't enjoy the new year? :S

ansar.tajudeen
01-20-2008, 10:40 AM
alhamdulilah....

these many supports from ALLAH's Servants

Jazakallahhairun

umm julaybib
01-20-2008, 12:17 PM
sometimes its nice to give dawah where possible but at times like these perhaps its just better to refrain from giving a lengthy explanation, and say for example you said you don't really celebrate new years day, and the interviewee may decide to question "oh why not?'' then maybe you could've said that we as Muslims don't hold any significance to the start of the 'new year', and then your answers are acknowledged without the person you're talking to feeling uncomfortable for whatever reason.

i personally think its better for them to be curious rather than telling them without knowing whether they're really interested or not and when you say things in a way they know you're approachable you will find that curiosity and interest does develop and gives a nice opportunity for dawah :)

qassy!
01-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Salam

I never knew it was haram to go out on new year ? I went to Central London to see the fireworkss went 10PM got back 4AM

is that haram?

AvarAllahNoor
01-20-2008, 12:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by qassy!
Salam

I never knew it was haram to go out on new year ? I went to Central London to see the fireworkss went 10PM got back 4AM

Is that haram?
Would be absolutely nuts if it's said watching FIREWORKS on the NY is haraam!! :rolleyes:

*Waits for an explanation

crayon
01-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Random sort of related question.

I was thinking about this the other day. I don't work yet, but when I do, I'm obviously going to have to do an interview. If the interviewer is a man, how do I go about not being alone with him in the room?

جوري
01-20-2008, 06:29 PM
You are not ever 'alone' in a 'room' with one man.. that is not how interviews work!

peace

qassy!
01-20-2008, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AvarAllahNoor
Would be absolutely nuts if it's said watching FIREWORKS on the NY is haraam!! :rolleyes:

*Waits for an explanation

Why? They where wicked!

format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
You are not ever 'alone' in a 'room' with one man.. that is not how interviews work!

peace

Well my interview was with a women and i was alone in a room with her.........didnt mean anything!

where I work now there only women dont ask dont know why! and its a mobile shop

crayon
01-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Then where are interviews conducted sis?

جوري
01-20-2008, 06:52 PM
It depends on your field..
usually there are two or three people interviewing you at the same time, and it is after you have taken a tour of the company or the hospital or lab etc along with fellow applicants.. the place is open and hardly a room, but judging from the last poster everyone's interviews are different..

:w:

rabarbara2008
02-02-2008, 10:05 AM
yeah such questions are interesting.
once I was asked how I celebrated christmas, I just said 'just got some cards from the neighbours, nothing special' and people didn't mind this answer at all.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.