/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Stressed out by upcoming interview that...

salam786
01-26-2008, 10:23 PM
I start to suffer from diarrohea a few hours leading up to the interview, my stomach churns persistently and even though I am warm I begin to shiver! This has been a major problem for me as I can't perform well enough at past interviews due to being stressed out, therefore I am unable to think on my feet properly. Now I have another interview and I am already worried thinking my symptons may prevent me from being my usual self. I have taken rescue pastiles for this as recommended by a pharmacist but it hasn't helped, does anybody know of a good cure that will seriously help calm me down? serious answer please

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ali.
01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear that.
I sometimes get nervous before tests. Now this might sound stupid, but what I do is splash really cold water over my face when I'm feeling nervous, lol (obviously not before I sit the exam "Hey Miss, could I go to the toilet to splash water over my face?". Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time it does, snaps me out of madness :okay:.

Hope that helps.

جوري
01-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Ask you GP if a prophylactic propanolol is right for you.. tell him/her you have stage fright and it is interfering with your progress/ performance...

:w:

mohsen1985
01-27-2008, 05:46 AM
I used to be like that until I had to give a big presentation in front of a big crowd for about an hour. I took one 10 mg Propranolol in the morning before going outside, and one around 30 minutes before the presentation (which was around 1 pm). I didn't get nervous at all, no shaking, very comfortable.

And you know what? Now I don't get stage frights at all, without the pills!. It's usually the first time that is hard, but when you go up there, your stage fright kinda disappears.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Eric H
01-27-2008, 02:38 PM
Greetings and peace be with you salam786;

Do not eat anything the day before look on this as a period of fasting and prayer, offer up your worries to God.

This will help in two ways, it will empty your stomach and it should then lessen the chance of diarrohea. You will also become closer to God, and you will also have to put your trust in God for whom all things are possible.

In the spirit of praying for an inner peace

Eric

Amat Allah
01-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Asalamo Alikom
I am with my brother Eric H

offer up your worries to God
and you will also have to put your trust in God for whom all things are possible.
and dua`a will be great for you my dear sister

just leave it to Allah and Allah will help you

do not be afraid take a deep breath and

you will be just fine insha Allah

Jazak Allah the paradise

Woodrow
01-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I agree with what both PA and Eric said.

There is also another side to the story that people often do not realize. The interviewer is undergoing the same type of stress at an interview as you are. Some thoughts that go through his mind before the interview?

1, I read his application. I know she is well qualified for the job. What if I say something wrong and she changes her mind about working for us?

2. Her qualifications are so good, I am afraid the salary I can offer will be an insult to her.

3. What can I do to show her that we really want her to come work for us, without it looking condescending?

When I was interviewing applicants I used to experience very much the same things you are. The interview is stressful to both the interviewer and the applicant.

Keep in mind your application has already impressed the interviewer. The interviewer sincerely wants to hire you, but he can not appear to be too eager.

Every interviewer looks upon every applicant as potentially becoming his boss someday, he is trying to make a good first impression, not just evaluating you. Remember, the interviewer sees you as interviewing him.

Do your best to put the interviewer at ease. Remember you are in control of the situation. You can walk out the door at any point in the interview. He is stuck there and can't leave. Try to see the interviewer as a potential friend. Do your best to keep from intimidating him and begin with a desire to see the best attributes of the interviewer.

Remember, you are the one hiring the interviewer to serve as your guide through the jungle of the company. He is working for you. Treat him as your valued servant and reward him with appropriate words of kindness and justified thanks.

salam786
01-27-2008, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mohsen1985
I used to be like that until I had to give a big presentation in front of a big crowd for about an hour. I took one 10 mg Propranolol in the morning before going outside, and one around 30 minutes before the presentation (which was around 1 pm). I didn't get nervous at all, no shaking, very comfortable.

And you know what? Now I don't get stage frights at all, without the pills!. It's usually the first time that is hard, but when you go up there, your stage fright kinda disappears.
Thank you all for your response. Does Propranolol help for that anxiety feeling one has in their stomach and for the diarehhoea

mohsen1985
01-28-2008, 04:31 PM
yup, the anxiety, shaking, sweating, suddenly forgetting everything that you wanna say. it's gonna make all those go away.

don't overdose though, cuz it'll make you drowsy, especially if you're driving, you should be very careful. take one 10 mg pill every 10 or 12 hours

rabarbara2008
02-02-2008, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I agree with what both PA and Eric said.

There is also another side to the story that people often do not realize. The interviewer is undergoing the same type of stress at an interview as you are. Some thoughts that go through his mind before the interview?

1, I read his application. I know she is well qualified for the job. What if I say something wrong and she changes her mind about working for us?

2. Her qualifications are so good, I am afraid the salary I can offer will be an insult to her.

3. What can I do to show her that we really want her to come work for us, without it looking condescending?

When I was interviewing applicants I used to experience very much the same things you are. The interview is stressful to both the interviewer and the applicant.

Keep in mind your application has already impressed the interviewer. The interviewer sincerely wants to hire you, but he can not appear to be too eager.

Every interviewer looks upon every applicant as potentially becoming his boss someday, he is trying to make a good first impression, not just evaluating you. Remember, the interviewer sees you as interviewing him.

Do your best to put the interviewer at ease. Remember you are in control of the situation. You can walk out the door at any point in the interview. He is stuck there and can't leave. Try to see the interviewer as a potential friend. Do your best to keep from intimidating him and begin with a desire to see the best attributes of the interviewer.

Remember, you are the one hiring the interviewer to serve as your guide through the jungle of the company. He is working for you. Treat him as your valued servant and reward him with appropriate words of kindness and justified thanks.

exactly! this is a very useful post. unfortunately, many people are too nervous to think about this.

maybe you could do a kind of breathing exercise, taking relaxation courses, or something like that?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.