PDA

View Full Version : Quick QUestion: WHo was the first Muslim?



AntiKarateKid
01-30-2008, 09:17 PM
I believe it was Adam but people claim that the Prophet (pbuh) said the HE was the first Muslim. Quick clarification is appreciated!
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
:salamext:


There are many different verses in the Qur'an when different prophets have said that they are 'the first muslim' :) and alot of people get confused.

So the simple response is what a brother gave a long while back, he said imagine you watch a basketball match. Now when someone asks "who scored the first goal?" - you don't go back into the history of basketball and say that it was the first person who shot the ball in the hoop, but you say it was the first guy who scored in the game that you're presently watching.


Therefore, if in one verse of the Qur'an it is said that Adam was the first Muslim, then yes - he was the first Muslim among mankind. After him there were other Prophets who were the first Muslims (those who submit to God) from among their people.



So that's the answer. :) And there is no contradiction in the Qur'an.
Reply

teen-omar
05-07-2008, 05:06 PM
sallam
masha'allah qatada i liked that example
well lyk he said, if it states in the qur'an that adam (pbuh) was the first muslim then it is
because muslim means someone who submits meaning that he submits to Allah
so that is exactly what he did
that's why Adam (pbuh) was the first muslim in history
Reply

Sanam
09-10-2008, 04:44 AM
well if you mean the First Muslim in the history then it is Adam (pbuh) as explained by brothers, but if u mean Muslim of Islam then its Prophet (saw) but if you mean excluding the prophet (saw) than the first Muslim is Kadijah (r.a) his beloved wife.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
Rafeeq
09-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Sanam
well if you mean the First Muslim in the history then it is Adam (pbuh) as explained by brothers, but if u mean Muslim of Islam then its Prophet (saw) but if you mean excluding the prophet (saw) than the first Muslim is Kadijah (r.a) his beloved wife.
SIS,

Salam U Elikum

Kindly be informed that even first muslim of Islam was also ADAM (A.S), as the holy Quran, repeaditly says and it is already explained above that all the prophets were muslims. So, they were preaching only ISLAM and it is the only acceptable DEEN (religion) by Allah.

The Jewism, christenity and other names of different religions were given by their followers niether by Allah nor by His prophets.

Hope, it would help you to refine your concept.

Masalama
Reply

SubhanAllah!
09-22-2008, 07:56 PM
:sl:

Question was who was the first Muslim.

Here is something else to think about. Muslim by definition means one who submits/surrenders to Allah.

The jinns came before humankind. So was it one of them or was it one of the angels?

But ofcourse the question was implying the first Muslim from humankind, but still.

:w:
Reply

m102313
09-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Does it really matter?

You just try and be a good muslim.
Reply

Muslima Islam
10-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by - Qatada -
:salamext:


There are many different verses in the Qur'an when different prophets have said that they are 'the first muslim' :) and alot of people get confused.

So the simple response is what a brother gave a long while back, he said imagine you watch a basketball match. Now when someone asks "who scored the first goal?" - you don't go back into the history of basketball and say that it was the first person who shot the ball in the hoop, but you say it was the first guy who scored in the game that you're presently watching.


Therefore, if in one verse of the Qur'an it is said that Adam was the first Muslim, then yes - he was the first Muslim among mankind. After him there were other Prophets who were the first Muslims (those who submit to God) from among their people.



So that's the answer. :) And there is no contradiction in the Qur'an.
mashallah that is a great way to look at it and it makes sense! :statisfie
Reply

doorster
10-01-2008, 09:22 PM
:sl:
Originally Posted by Muslima Islam
mashallah that is a great way to look at it and it makes sense! :statisfie
that is so right (earlier I was stupidly going to jump in and say that it was Hazrat Aadam (A.S.))

however there is a fatwah on a certain web-fatwah shop (much admired by some here) that forgot all the Muslims Before the Last Rasul Allah (in response to a question: When did Islam start?)

:w:
Reply

MSalman
10-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by doorster
:sl:that is so right (earlier I was stupidly going to jump in and say that it was Hazrat Aadam (A.S.))

however there is a fatwah on a certain web-fatwah shop (much admired by some here) that forgot all the Muslims Before the Last Rasul Allah (in response to a question: When did Islam start?)

:w:
Wa'alaykum As-Salam

I hope you didn't mean islamqa.
Reply

ASeeker
10-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I do not think it is right to impose the name "Muslim" onto people who lived before the rise of Islam. No one called themselves a Muslim before the time of Muhammed. Adam is a character in the Biblical creation myth and the vast majority of Jews and Christians do not regard "Adam" as an actually historical person at all. The Biblical creation story predates Islam by at least 2,000 years.

It is a very odd thing for a religion to lay claim to people and their writings and to write themselves into a history with which they have no connection.
Reply

doorster
10-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by ASeeker
I do not think it is right to impose the name "Muslim" onto people who lived before the rise of Islam. No one called themselves a Muslim before the time of Muhammed. Adam is a character in the Biblical creation myth and the vast majority of Jews and Christians do not regard "Adam" as an actually historical person at all. The Biblical creation story predates Islam by at least 2,000 years.

It is a very odd thing for a religion to lay claim to people and their writings and to write themselves into a history with which they have no connection.
what does the word "Muslim" mean?
vast majority of Jews and Christians do not regard "Adam" as an actually historical person at all.
you are free to do/believe as you wish, by the same token may we be allowed to believe as we do? Live and let live and all that freedom to choose jazz. eh?

this is a forum Called "aqeedah" meaning (Islamic) beliefs, where people find out what we believe in.

and this here >> http://www.islamicboard.com/comparative-religion is where comparisons take place
Reply

ASeeker
10-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Not to designate people who lived before Muhammed as "Muslims" is a matter of respect for their right to choose. That no one called themselves a Muslim before the time of Muhammed is a matter of historical fact as is my assertion that the vast majority of Jews and Christians do not regard Adam as an historical person but only a character in the biblical creation myth. All of the Old Testament of the Bible predates Islam by at least 900 years and much of it far longer than that. All of the New Testament of the Bible predates the Quran by at least 500 years.

The first person who is described in the Bible as a prophet is Abraham (Genesis 20:7) and nowhere in the Bible is Adam described as a prophet because Adam was not a prophet at all.

I would like a Muslim to explain to me how Islam feels at liberty to impose new designations onto people e.g. in the Bible Adam was is not a prophet but Abraham is, Lot is not a prophet but Isaiah is, David is not a prophet but Ezekiel is. It is best to leave the designations to the people in whose history these people belong.

It is of critical importance to recognise that our knowledge of everyone, from Abraham to Jesus of Nazareth is entirely dependent upon the oral and literary tradition of the Jews and Christians. The great prophets were Jewish prophets and Jesus too was a 100% Jew. Almost everyone who wrote the Bible books, including the New Testament, was a Jew. The words 'Mecca', 'Islam', 'Muhammed' never occur in the Bible. Any claims to the contrary are self-deception.
Reply

جوري
10-04-2008, 08:14 PM
there you go
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...uran-only.html

Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
Luke 6:40




Also see this
http://dialogtube.com/being_like_the_teacher.pdf

some contend that the word Muslim is a new and can't be applied prior to the adevtn of Islam but, in fact found in Aramaic and Hebrew.. see original texts above..

:w:
which reminds me. I should reply to Gene's rather protracted reply when I have the time..

cheers
Reply

doorster
10-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
there you go
http://www.islamicboard.com/comparat...uran-only.html

Originally Posted by Skye Ephémérine
Luke 6:40




Also see this
http://dialogtube.com/being_like_the_teacher.pdf

some contend that the word Muslim is a new and can't be applied prior to the adevtn of Islam but, in fact found in Aramaic and Hebrew.. see original texts above..

..............

cheers
Thank God for Sr. Skye Ephémérine for coming to my rescue (as I was about to give up) Jazakillah khair wa salaam alaikum
Reply

جوري
10-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by doorster
Thank God for Sr. Skye Ephémérine for coming to my rescue (as I was about to give up) Jazakillah khair wa salaam alaikum
:sl:
When it comes to evangelizing folks, everything falls in deaf ears, starting with their own bible I reckon, I am not sure they are able to distinguish what saul/paul said from their own 'God' Jesus.

They rely on Judasim only when it suits them to cement their views, not only do the Jews not recognize them, but their God Jesus seems to have abrogated all he has written in the old testament..

Why does God change his mind so much? Why should we trust such a God, who can't uphold his own commandments and like us, suffers the human condition, Hunger, anger (over the earth he created when he couldn't find fruit to eat) or one who needs to pray to himself "...Yet not as I will, but as you will." Matthew 26:39 and how is it possible for Jesus to sit at the right hand of Himself? seek seclusion of his Godly self in the garden of Gethsemane, and at the end have it al filed under 'Monotheism' but come and question us, on how dare we label those who 'submit' or 'submitted' themselves to the well of God as 'Muslims' when that is in fact what the term means, and those before us who were 'monotheists' have done?

:w:
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 02:49 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 04:32 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 10:13 AM
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | International Institute of Entrepreneurship and Professional Development - IIEPD | Truly Halal Humour

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!