/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Should we say A.D as muslims

waji
09-26-2005, 10:40 AM
:sl:
to all brothers and sisters
i have a simpe question on which i need ur help
As u all know that A.D means "After the Death of Christ" as B.C means "before christ" so what u all think as muslims have read in Quran that Hazarat Isa (alihis salam) is not dead but he is alive So the question is do we as muslims should say A.D when saying dates and use A.D
what u all think ?
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
waji
09-26-2005, 11:02 AM
Aslam u Alikum
brother zak according to oxford dictionary A.D mean After the death of christ
what is right ?
salam

Ansar Al-'Adl
09-26-2005, 11:48 AM
:sl:
According to the Oxford American English Dictionary it means Anno Domini, as zAk mentioned. Wallahu 'alam.

An interesting grammar note the dictionary had was the following:
USAGE The abbreviation for Anno Domini, AD , typically is written in small capitals and should be placed before the numerals, as in: AD 375 (not | 375 AD). However, when the date is spelled out, it is normal to write, for example, | the third century AD (not | AD the third century). The abbreviation BC (before Christ) appears after the date: | Plato was born in 427 BC —that is to say, in the fifth century BC. In recent years, some writers have begun using the abbreviations CE (of the Common Era) in place of AD, and BCE (before the Common Era) in place of BC, in consideration of a more secular and international readership.
The part about AD coming before the number was new to me.

Coming back to your original question, br. wkas, I think it is prefersble for Muslims to use CE and BCE (as oppose to AD and BC) when referring to the gregorian calendar.

:w:

Malaikah
09-26-2005, 11:53 AM
i dont think it is even possible for AD to mean after death, because that means the time between BC and AD is not accounted for, since it would span over Isa's life time.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
09-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Bleh, I think it's picking hairs frankly. :p

waji
09-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Aslam u Alikum
i am thankful to zak and ansar for clearing it up thanks again
Walikum as salam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.