/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are Smilies Haram?

ummbilal
10-01-2005, 03:10 AM
salaam alakum brothers and sisters

we know as muslims we should avoid drawing any animated objects and living things.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fundamen...1-chap-58.html

The use of emotional signs, for example, smile, sad, etc. in a cellphone falls in the category of animate pictures.
(the following is off ask the immam .com in answer to the same question)
It is prohibited to make use of such emotional signs in a cellphone.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai

I know many members use the smilies bt should we really be doing it?

the symbols without faces eg
:thumbs_do :wilted_ro :thumbs_up :love: etc.. are fine

but not the ones with eyes etc...

discuss....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
10-01-2005, 04:12 AM
salam no sister smilies are not haram becuase they do not actually resemble a preson.. please refer to this fatwa:

http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...&main_cat_id=1

http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...&main_cat_id=1

i hope this clarifies any everything ;) salams

Sayedmohammed
10-01-2005, 07:52 AM
smilies are not haraam sister :)

Afr!can angel
10-01-2005, 08:29 AM
no sister its not haram ......i 6think no i'm sure!.:D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
10-01-2005, 11:58 AM
:sl: warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

i agree with the sister.. i think they haraam and we shouldn't use them - even if they just online or on a screen -

"Every picture maker is in the Fire. A soul will be placed in every picture made by him and it will punish him in the Hell-fire." (Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim)

"On the Day of Resurrection a neck will stretch forth from Hell; it will have two eyes to see, two ears to hear, and a tongue to speak. It will say, "I have been appointed to take care of three types of people: every arrogant tyrant, every person who called on some deity other than Allaah (swt) and those who made pictures" [at-Tirmidhi stated that this hadith was saheeh - at-Takhweef min an-Naar, p.179, See also Jaami' al-Usool, 10/518, the editor said its isnaad is hasan]

whats the point of takin the pics or putting them up if theres no need for it anyway.. i rather be safe then sorry...

Bass
10-01-2005, 12:01 PM
No sis Smilies r Okay
anyway we're not not drawing dem

Malaikah
10-01-2005, 12:02 PM
salams brother akhee... please check out the links i provided above..
salam

Buthaynah
10-01-2005, 05:12 PM
:sl:

Such a gud question sis, I was thinking of that then thought....no, Im just thinking too much. :zip:

But at least, you have asked and I am aware that they are indeed not :)

salaam :coolsis:

Mu'maneen
10-01-2005, 05:15 PM

Smilies are not Haram. As for the Hadith quoted, they refer to the pictures created by hand that include pictures drawn of animals or humans.

Such smilies are not classified as pictures as in Hadith as they are created graphically and displayed within the computer.

We must be extremely careful to say this and that are Haram. Haram refers to things that one may be heavily punished upon death without repentance.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:
http://hstrial-besmail.homestead.com/islam.html

TEH
10-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Me and my smileys are so going to down...

:omg:

Buthaynah
10-01-2005, 05:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TEH
Me and my smileys are so going to down...

:omg:

sallam

What do u mean by 'so going to down'. Do u mean drown? If so, how do u manage that? :D

- Qatada -
10-01-2005, 05:23 PM

i think he means - 'my smilies are going to down' (i think he put 'to' in by accident)

wasalam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

czgibson
10-01-2005, 05:45 PM
Greetings,

Is it really worth making a fuss over smilies? They're not massively important (in my view anyway).

Peace

Buthaynah
10-01-2005, 05:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,

Is it really worth making a fuss over smilies? They're not massively important (in my view anyway).

Peace

Back at home I do not have a computer (Dubai). I was laughing when I saw the faces on the side of my computer. I asked my friend wat they are for and she showed me. I will be returning back home very soon and as I have no comouter I will have no more smilies.
You will all be in my duas, surely. :coolsis:

Buthaynah
10-01-2005, 05:52 PM
:sl: #
I forgot to tell you, these are my favourire smiles:

;D it makes me laugh more
:zip: Some times I think I talk a bit too much
:coolsis: bcuz in dubai, it is very sunny and I always wear glasses and it remind me of dubai.

salaam

Uthman
10-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Greetings Callum,

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson
Well, if it is haraam then we will be displeasing Allah and we don't want that now, do we? Nope! Nuh-uh!

:w:

ummbilal
10-01-2005, 06:42 PM
salaam alakum all
jazakallah khair for your input,

the hadith clearly states
Every
picture maker is in the Fire.

it doesnt spesify whether the pictures resemble a human or animal,

i suppose muslims will disagree on this forever but to be on the safe side i dont use anything with a face, i dont think it matters that its a icon on a screen, or a picture drawn in dust.

thanks for the links Cheese, but they didnt clear anything up for me.
czgibson
this may seem petty to a non muslim but making pictures is a grave sin in Islam and something we have to avoid.

Akee i'm glad someone agrees with me, i thought i was alone!

fi ammaillah all

- Qatada -
10-01-2005, 06:48 PM

jazak Allah khayr.. its more better to be on the safe side than sorry anyway. 4got 2 take note, we shouldn't do it on msn either..

i just want to emphasise on the part where it says:

"Every picture maker is in the Fire. A soul will be placed in every picture made by him and it will punish him in the Hell-fire." (Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim)

Uthman
10-01-2005, 06:58 PM

It seems that you guys are right. I wonder, what was Sheikh Saalih Ibn 'Uthaymeen's justification of images being allowed on the computer screen?

This is what he said:

With regard to pictures made in the modern fashion, they fall into two categories:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

The second category is fixed or still pictures on paper (photographs) …

But the matter needs further discussion if one wants to make these kind of permissible pictures. For they are subject to five rulings which depend on the intention. If the intention is something forbidden, then it is haraam. If he intends something waajib (obligatory), then it is waajib. Sometimes pictures may be essential, especially moving pictures. For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case. The means are subject to the rulings on the ends. If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential.

But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)

Muezzin
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee
i just want to emphasise on the part where it says:

Fair enough, but by the same token if we take it too literally, you wouldn't even be able to do scientific diagrams, architecture designs, clothes designs... All of these are 'pictures'.

I'm not trying to undermine the hadith, I'm just saying we shouldn't misinterpret it. Oh well, for all I know, I'm probably in the wrong.

TEH
format_quote Originally Posted by akhee

i think he means - 'my smilies are going to down' (i think he put 'to' in by accident)

Yep...

:...

ahem, I mean astaghfirullah...

Protected_Diamond
10-01-2005, 07:01 PM
hmm so i guess we should all try to avoid them

TEH
10-01-2005, 07:05 PM
Hmmm...

This is serious isnt it...

*puts serious head on*

So I should stop with the smiles then?? Do you think it would be ok if after every post I did a...

:smiles:

Protected_Diamond
10-01-2005, 07:06 PM
^^lol..yeah thats a good idea

Muezzin
10-01-2005, 07:07 PM
No.

That's just not right, TEH. You're Mr Smiley, like that one dude Guy Smiley from Sesame Street. Man, that show rocked.

One second...

Two seconds...

THREE SECONDS till I get told off for spamming, AH-HA-HA!

TEH
10-01-2005, 07:08 PM
LOL, ok erm, how about a LOL, that does the same trick right??

LOL

- Qatada -
10-01-2005, 07:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Fair enough, but by the same token if we take it too literally, you wouldn't even be able to do scientific diagrams, architecture designs, clothes designs... All of these are 'pictures'.

I'm not trying to undermine the hadith, I'm just saying we shouldn't misinterpret it. Oh well, for all I know, I'm probably in the wrong.
nooo bro. the hadith or like the arabic word for picture within that hadith meant pictures of living things eg. things with a soul. so you can draw pictures of trees and plants and other non living things etc.

Hadith - Bukhari 3:428, Narrated Said bin Abu Al-Hasan

While I was with Ibn 'Abbas a man came and said, "O father of 'Abbas! My sustenance is from my manual profession and I make these pictures." Ibn 'Abbas said, "I will tell you only what I heard from Allah's Apostle . I heard him saying, 'Whoever makes a picture will be punished by Allah till he puts life in it, and he will never be able to put life in it.' " Hearing this, that man heaved a sigh and his face turned pale. Ibn 'Abbas said to him, "What a pity! If you insist on making pictures I advise you to make pictures of trees and any other unanimated objects."

PS: TEH wont be able to smile no more! *shocked*

Allah (swt) knows best.

Mu'maneen
10-01-2005, 07:31 PM

nooo bro. the hadith or like the arabic word for picture within that hadith meant pictures of living things eg. things with a soul. so you can draw pictures of trees and plants and other non living things etc.
As for the Hadith quoted, they refer to the pictures created by hand that include pictures drawn of animals or humans.

Such smilies are not classified as pictures as in Hadith as they are created graphically and displayed within the computer.

We must be extremely careful to say this and that are Haram. Haram refers to things that one may be heavily punished upon death without repentance.
If such smilies were Haram, then 100% tv is Haram, which means all those great Scholars who are seen on tv have committed an act of Haram.

As to the respected Scholars I have heard or spoken to concerning Photos:

"If a Photo is taken, it is forbidden to display it on a wall etc, where it must be kept away in for example a photo album."

Also photos displayed on computer are Halal from mentioned from respected Scholars (depending what picture it is), or graphical movement as in certain computer games.

---------------------

Uthman
10-01-2005, 07:35 PM

What if they do all seven life processes?

Anyway, Sheikh Saalih Ibn 'Uthaymeen is a respected and well-known scholar who studied under the likes of Sheikh 'Abdul-'Aziz ibn Baz. We shouldn't be so quick to dismiss his words:

With regard to pictures made in the modern fashion, they fall into two categories:

The first category is those which have no tangible substance (and can only be seen by running them through a machine), as I was told is the case with pictures on video tapes. There is no ruling at all concerning these, and they do not come under the prohibition at all. Hence the scholars who forbid making pictures with cameras on paper (photographs) permitted this (video pictures), and said that there is nothing wrong with this. Then it was asked, is it permissible to film lectures which are given in the mosques? The (scholarly) view was that it is better not to do that, because it may disturb the worshippers and because they may film things that may not be appropriate, and so on.

The second category is fixed or still pictures on paper (photographs) …

But the matter needs further discussion if one wants to make these kind of permissible pictures. For they are subject to five rulings which depend on the intention. If the intention is something forbidden, then it is haraam. If he intends something waajib (obligatory), then it is waajib. Sometimes pictures may be essential, especially moving pictures. For example, if we see someone in the act of committing a crime against a person’s rights, such as an attempt to kill and so on, and we cannot prove it in any way but by taking pictures, then in this case taking pictures becomes waajib, especially in cases where pictures may decide the case. The means are subject to the rulings on the ends. If we make these pictures in order to prove the identity of a person for fear that someone else may be accused of the crime, this is also acceptable, indeed it is essential.

But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.” (See Al-Sharh al-Mumti’, 2/197-199)

Source

Mu'maneen
10-01-2005, 07:44 PM

But if we take these pictures just to enjoy looking at them, this is undoubtedly haraam... And Allaah knows best.”
It depends on what sort of "enjoyment".

Let us take an example:

"If someone takes a picture of their pet cat for example, and they store such picture on their computer, just to look back in memories, is such a person committing Haram, and are they liable to receive the most harshest of punishments on The Day of Judgement?"

---------------------

Ansar Al-'Adl
10-01-2005, 08:31 PM
As mentioned by Shaykh Uthaymeen, images which have no tangible substance (i.e. on the computer screen) do not fall under the prohibition unless the content of the image is unislamic. This is why the scholars permitted the playing of electronic (video) games. And as mentioned by Shaykh At-Turayri, the mere emoticon symbols do not come under this prohibition unless they are used for a prohibited purpose (eg. worship). Both these fatwas have been provided earlier in the thread. These scholars are supported by a large committee of scholars for each. Since none of us here qualify as a Mujtahid who can derive their own rulings, we do not have the authority to bring a new ruling that smileys are haraam, and this is a very serious claim indeed. The one who makes this claim without sufficient proof has taken upon themselves an immense burden because they are claiming that Allah swt will punish all people who post smileys in the fire.

We should refrain from making claims upon doubtful matters.

THREAD CLOSED.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.