/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Thumb-kissing?

SolaceinIslam
10-14-2005, 08:30 AM
:sl:

I recently attended a function and was amazed :confused: when the people brought their hands together, kissed their thumbs and wiped it over their eyes whenever the Prophet was mentioned. What is this about? Are we supposed to do this :omg: ?

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muezzin
10-14-2005, 08:41 AM

Yeah, I saw that at a mosque here in Leicester too. Freaked me out to no end.

Well, not really, but it was weird as heck. I don't think we're supposed to do that, but I have no authority to back up this view. It just feels so... wrong.

We are supposed to say 'Sallalu Alayhi Wasalum' when the Prophet's (SAW) name is mentioned.

S_87
10-14-2005, 10:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SolaceinIslam

I recently attended a function and was amazed :confused: when the people brought their hands together, kissed their thumbs and wiped it over their eyes whenever the Prophet was mentioned. What is this about? Are we supposed to do this :omg: ?

no sis its an innovation.

Far7an
10-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Assalamu alaikum

The following may help InshaAllah

Question :

Some imams said that on listening to the name of the holy prophet, one should kiss his eyes while others said that its meaningless. Your views please i'll wait for the reply.
Answer :
Praise be to Allaah. What is prescribed for the Muslim when hearing the name of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is to venerate him and show respect by sending blessings and salaams upon him.

It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “May his nose be rubbed in the dust, a man in whose presence I am mentioned and he does not send blessings upon me.” Narrated and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, 3545; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 6.

It was narrated from al-Husayn ibn ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib (may Allaah be pleased with them both) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The miser is the one in whose presence I am mentioned and he does not send blessings upon me.” Narrated and classed as hasan by al-Tirmidhi, 3546; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel, 5.

With regard to kissing one’s eyes when the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is mentioned, perhaps what is meant by that is kissing the thumbs and placing them on the eyes. That is an innovation (bid’ah). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever does an action that is not in accordance with this matters of ours will have it rejected.” Narrated by Muslim, 1718. And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Beware of newly-invented matters, for every newly-invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is a going astray.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 4607; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

This bid’ah is something that was invented by some of the Sufi orders (tareeqahs) and some Muslims followed them in that, thinking well of them and unaware that it is a misguided innovation.

What the Muslim should do is to avoid innovations and beware of them; he should strive to follow the Qur’aan and Sunnah, without adding anything or taking anything away, for Allaah has perfected this religion:

“This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My Favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion”

[al-Maa'idah 5:3]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not die until he had conveyed the message from his Lord in full. He did not leave anything good but he enjoined it upon us, and he did not leave anything bad but he forbade it to us and warned us against it. May the blessings and peace of my Lord be upon him.
For useful information on bid’ah (innovation), please see the answer to question no. 10843.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MetSudaisTwice
10-14-2005, 10:11 AM
salam
jazakallah bro
wasalam

Sahabiyaat
10-14-2005, 10:46 AM
ppl are sheep
they just follow what they see
their just not bothered or concerned enuf to go find out for themselves which is the duty of every muslim...

MetSudaisTwice
10-14-2005, 11:24 AM
salam
or they follow half a hadith and not read the full hadith
they act upon half a hadith not the full hadith
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
10-14-2005, 11:27 AM

Yes, my mother used to do that too. I asked my mom and she sed it was for respect.
I didnt want to offend her, so, I told her to give me evidence. She had none. And since, she has stopped, Al hamdullilah.

I never did it....didnt see why I should.

Allah ma3akum

Rabi'ya
10-15-2005, 06:37 PM
I have never seen this...but seems wierd :s

whts the deal with some people blowing on their fingers randomly....ive only ever seen one of my friends do this and her family...(excuse me if im being wierd..but i got scared)

Rabi'ya:rose:

ummbilal
10-15-2005, 06:44 PM
everything that cannot be traced back to authentic hadith and Quran is bidah, is that right?

there is a masjid near me where they do not allow women and after the salah the men start to chant and rock back and forth , what is this?
is it a type of sufi?

jazakallah khair in advance

SolaceinIslam
10-17-2005, 08:14 AM

I found out this past weekend that this action is based on a hadith, but it is a weak hadith.

When everyone arounds me is doing it, it is difficult to convince them it is wrong.

baby_muslimah15
10-17-2005, 10:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

Yeah, I saw that at a mosque here in Leicester too. Freaked me out to no end.

Well, not really, but it was weird as heck. I don't think we're supposed to do that, but I have no authority to back up this view. It just feels so... wrong.

We are supposed to say 'Sallalu Alayhi Wasalum' when the Prophet's (SAW) name is mentioned.
Yea I know about that 4 sure saying 'Sallalu Alayhi Wasalum' but far as the thumb kissing I never saw that I dont really want 2 might freak me out a lil seeing that, and I dont think its okay 2 do, but like bro muezzin said I dont have proff to back this up.......Salaams

Mujahada
10-17-2005, 09:30 PM
:j:
:wa:

ummbilal
10-19-2005, 06:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ummbilal
everything that cannot be traced back to authentic hadith and Quran is bidah, is that right?

there is a masjid near me where they do not allow women and after the salah the men start to chant and rock back and forth , what is this?
is it a type of sufi?

jazakallah khair in advance

hey, did y'all miss my post? coz noone answered,

can you tell me is this bidah, also my husband said at tarawih prayers at the same masjid there are brothers who dont pray the full rakah but rush to join in when the salaam is being given at the end, they are under the impression that this is sufficiant for their salah to count,

authu bilahi, what is this????

how can we educate these young men?

again jazakallah khair in advance
:thumbs_up

eyes_of_mine
10-19-2005, 06:46 PM
It certainly is one of those 'cultural things' again !

I never took much notice of muslims praying in this country to recently and I am always finding that there is always a difference from one person to another, I never heard of thumb kissing I would be confused and wonder why if I saw it.

Another one is where men and woman pray differently, I got to admit that one fooled me at first, but elhamdolelah I found my way back to the truth.
there is no difference in the way a man and woman prays .

In reply to Umbilal I think the best way to educate them is to point out the evidence and give them talks so to encourage them to find out the true Islam and not this made up odd bod version.

meknesi
10-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Blatant Bid'ah

meknesi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.