/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I need an 'in-between' word.

Muslimah81
10-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Salaams

Does anyone know a word that is in between the words good and excellent?

i.e. how would you describe something that was better than good but not quite excellent..............? any ideas...............anyone? :confused:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ibn Abi Ahmed
10-28-2005, 11:23 PM
:sl:

great?

zeal4knowledge
10-28-2005, 11:27 PM

How about Great? praiseworthy? Dunno exactly in which context you want it though.....

Muhammad
10-28-2005, 11:29 PM

acceptable, ace, admirable, agreeable, brilliant, capital, choice, commendable, congenial, crack, deluxe, excellent, exceptional, favorable, first-class, first-rate, gnarly, gratifying, great, honorable, marvelous, neato, nice, pleasing, positive, precious, prime, rad, recherché, reputable, satisfactory, satisfying, select, shipshape, sound, spanking, splendid, sterling, stupendous, super, superb, supereminent, superexcellent, superior, tip-top, valuable, welcome, wonderful, worthy, admirable, blameless, charitable, dutiful, estimable, ethical, exemplary, guiltless, honest, honorable, incorrupt, inculpable, innocent, irreprehensible, irreproachable, lily-white, obedient, praiseworthy, pure, reputable, respectable, right, righteous, sound, tractable, uncorrupted, untainted, upright, virtuous, well-behaved,

http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=good

:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslimah81
10-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Well its a word that needs to go on my CV...............me thinks the word 'great' wont be quite right. ................

Muslimah81
10-28-2005, 11:33 PM
A big JZK for the words super mod. :thumbs_up

Now i'm going to try and fit them into my sentence and see which one fits best................by the way how'd you manage to find all those words so quick? :clever:

Muslimah81
10-28-2005, 11:37 PM
the context I need it in is

'Possesses good research and IT skills'

Possesses excellent research and IT skills'

Now I'm smack bang in the middle - what word do I use?

Muhammad
10-29-2005, 12:15 AM

Basically I used Thesaurus.com before and copy and pasted, but now that you have provided the context, we can pick some suitable ones out:

valuable
extraordinary notable
noteworthy remarkable unique
admired appreciated beneficial cherished
esteemed, estimable, held dear, helpful, high-priced, hot, hot property, important, in demand, precious, prized, profitable, relevant, respected treasured, useful, valued, worthwhile, worthy advantageous ace, attractive, best ever, cat's pajamas (?), choice, commendable, cool, copacetic, crack, crackerjack, daisy, deadly, deserving, dilly, doozie, dream, estimable, excellent, exquisite, fine, gnarly, good, great, greatest, groovy, heavy, hunky dory, keen, laudable, mean, meritable, meritorious, neat, peachy, praiseworthy, rare, smashing, solid, spiffy, super, super-duper, superior, unreal, wicked, wonderful, worthy

constructive, favorable, favoring, gainful, good, healthful, helpful, profitable, propitious, salubrious, salutary, serviceable, toward, useful, valuable, wholesome, worthyexceeding, exceptional, finer, fitter, greater, higher quality, improved, larger, more appropriate, more desirable, more fitting, more select, more suitable, more useful, more valuable, preferable, preferred, prominent, sharpened, sophisticated, souped up, superior, surpassing, worthier

consequential, considerable, eminent, prime, principal, prominent, serious, significant, substantial, super, super colossal, best, elect, elite, exceptional, exclusive, exquisite, fine, excessive, executive, exorbitant, effective, implicit, positive, practical, productive, useful,

azim
10-29-2005, 12:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah81
the context I need it in is

'Possesses good research and IT skills'

Possesses excellent research and IT skills'

Now I'm smack bang in the middle - what word do I use?
Very competent research and IT skills.

They love the word competent, so many nice, juciy connotations for them to lull over. Eitherway, nothing wrong with excellent, such a vague word its not as if your making an unfair/fraudulent claims.

Shadow
10-29-2005, 12:31 AM
mannn why are ppl giving such long replies to such an easy answer?
when i go to school u get a good, very good or excellent
so therefore the better of good will be made into a form of equation because i love complicating simple things

if good is < X
and if excellent is > X
then X will be in the middle

good<X<excellent
therefore we can deduce that the equlibrium of this quantum eqatorium is vertioriumically woblisorioticly normal
and the answer is

X=very good

Batoota
10-29-2005, 12:57 AM

I was going to say "very" as in the in between word, too, but i think competent is actually better :thumbs_up

Cat's pajamas!!;D I want to tell my English teacher "miss, you taught that lesson like cat's pajamas!! And see if she knows what's up with that! ;)

Muslimah81
10-29-2005, 01:04 AM
Hahaa :haha: imagine writing:

'I am quite the cat's pyjamas when it comes to my research and IT skills'! :shade:

I reckon competent wins the competition - a virtual mars bar for whoever suggested it!

jzk :cat:

czgibson
10-29-2005, 02:00 AM
Greetings,

"Cat's pyjamas" is quite old-fashioned - you'd sound like someone from the 50s if you said that! Plus it actually means "quite good" - it's not in the middle.

Hang on Muhammad! All those words you suggested are synonyms for "excellent". For middle words you need: fair, decent, mainstream, mediocre, average, adequate, middling, median, typical, unexceptional, standard, ordinary, pedestrian - something like that.

Peace

Muhammad
10-30-2005, 04:15 PM
Greetings,

Yes I think I tried searching with both the words 'good' and 'excellent' and I felt that some synonyms for excellent were appropriate, especially since we were given the context of a CV, where we need to try to express our skills as best as possible :)

Peace.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.