format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
yes.....we do

may i ask why u have blue hair?!?

Rabi'ya:rose:
:sl: Cuz she wants to sis. Thats not our concern.:statisfie

CarrieValandez
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
I dyed it, it suits me :)

There is nothing in the Quaran that states Blue Hair is wrong :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ameeratul Layl
11-08-2005, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by CarrieValandez
Do all muslim women have to wear a disguise/hijab? I would look pretty
silly in one; and defeats the purpose of my blue hair. :giggling:

:sl: Women are like diomands and rubies. The more u keep them away from the dirt (bad things in life) the more they will stay clean. Women are precious!!!

The purpose of the hijab is to cover the hair. Indeed the hair is one of the main beautiful features of a woman.

I would go on.....but I'd rather u ask more so I can!!!lol

God be with you.

Ameeratul Layl
11-08-2005, 01:09 PM

:w: Indeed there isnt. :sister:

God be with you

MetSudaisTwice
11-08-2005, 01:09 PM
salam
if dying hair is not mention in the quraan then most muslim sisters would be dying thier hair but most prefer to look natural and add hena to thier hair
wasalam

Rabi'ya
11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
The idea of my question was to establish whether she dyes it for herself or so that other people think she looks good?

either way i cud have argued from a Muslim point of view!!!lol but u guys stopped that

:w:

however some good comments have been made

Protected_Diamond
11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
:sl: warhmatulahi wabarakthu

A Hijab is for all the believing women, and this hijab show's everyone that she is a muslim woman. It protect's her from all evil's.

Who has to wear it?

All muslim adults are supposed to wear the appropriate hijab for their sex.This is one Hadith related by Abu Dawood: "Ayesha(r) reported that Asmaa bint Abu Bakr(r) came to the Messenger of Allah(swt) while wearing thin clothing. He approached her and said: 'O Asmaa! When a girl reaches the menstrual age, it is not proper that anything should remain exposed except this and this.' He pointed to the face and hands."

Why do they have to wear it?

Muslims must wear the hijab because Allah(swt) ordered it. Muslims have two sources for guidance. The first and most important source is Qur'an, the revealed word of Allah(swt). They may then use Hadith which is the sayings and traditions of the Prophet Muhammad(saw) who was chosen by Allah(swt) to be a role model for mankind.

hope that help's :sister:

:w: warhmatulahi wabaarkthu

S_87
11-08-2005, 01:12 PM
blue hair is fine

a hijaab is not a disguise. and you wouldnt look silly in one.
hijaab is just not a scarf on your head though i assume that what your talking about.

a muslim woman must dress modestly and cover her body.
her body is her property-no one elses.
dressing modestly earns a woman respect she deserves- she is judged by her inteliigence, not by the way she looks. a woman is not an object to be stared at.

if you had a big diamond- would you flaunt it in front of everyone? risking there may be thieves watching this diamond? :)

Rabi'ya
11-08-2005, 01:13 PM
i do not believe it is haram to dye ur hair(correct me if im wrong) but henna makes ur hair in better condition anyway than constant dying which dries out ur hair.

Protected_Diamond
11-08-2005, 01:13 PM
:sl:

you can dye your hair as long as it's not black and it all depends on your intentions e.g If she does it for show or the sake of her husband (to please him)

Ameeratul Layl
11-08-2005, 01:14 PM

off topic.

we are talking about hijab not the dying of hair.:-\

Allah ma3akum

CarrieValandez
11-08-2005, 01:16 PM
What is the difference? Some people wear just the scarf on the head, while some women wear the full cloak?

MetSudaisTwice
11-08-2005, 01:17 PM
salam
one is a headscarf to cover your hair
the other is a jilbab which covers your hair and the rest of your body
the sisters can provide more info
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-08-2005, 01:18 PM
What is the difference? Some people wear just the scarf on the head, while some women wear the full cloak?

:sl: It depends on the person.

If u wish to keep ur beauty to urself and NOT flaunt it to EVERY tom, george and harry.....then u cover urselves properly.

Other wish to flaunt their beauty. This is NOT allowed in Islam....but no one is perfect.

S_87
11-08-2005, 01:19 PM

well just wearing a scarf on the head then wearing tight clothes defeats the purpose and idea of dressing modestly no?

Rabi'ya
11-08-2005, 01:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl

off topic.

we are talking about hijab not the dying of hair.:-\

Allah ma3akum
hijab is a means of obeying Allah and preserving our beauty for our husbands. if she has dyed her hair then it does fit in the category of hijab. as far as i can see its all relevant

MetSudaisTwice
11-08-2005, 01:21 PM
salam
true sis amani
sis rabiya how can dying hair be a category under hijab?
wasalam

Rabi'ya
11-08-2005, 01:23 PM
as in the reasons for dying ur hair perhaps, directly oppose observing hijab, the same as sister amani mentioned tight clothing, i believe it is all relevant...

you know what i just wanna say - i love my hijab!!!!<-------is that offtopic?

CarrieValandez
11-08-2005, 01:29 PM
well just wearing a scarf on the head then wearing tight clothes defeats the purpose and idea of dressing modestly no?
Yes it does, although that is not what I asked.

Some Muslim women have just the head coverings.

Some of the older women have full cloaks.

I dunno where you got tight clothes from.

Ameeratul Layl
11-08-2005, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
you know what i just wanna say - i love my hijab!!!!<-------is that offtopic?

:sl: The word 'hijab' is in it......so I doubt it!!!lol

I love my hijab too and my 'cloak'.lol.

It keeps me warm and it saves men staring at me....Dont get me wrong....when they see me in Hijab they actually move out my way.

POWER!!!:cool2: LOL.

MetSudaisTwice
11-08-2005, 01:32 PM
salam
sis amani is talking the truth
there are some sis who wear hijab but still have tight clothing, it is the culture in this country and many countries around the world
may allah protect and guide this ummah
wasalam

CarrieValandez
I wear a baseball cap with my hair up inside it. That is almost the same thing.

Rabi'ya
niqab is amazing...have u ever seen brothers look at the floor so quickly!?! lol, its like their eyes are suddenly magnetixed to the floor..

Khaldun
11-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Some people of sadly misinterpreted some verses or they have made the hijab into some sort of fashion thing, in this case we should go back to the Quran and Sunnah and look for what is suitable for a hijab. Remember just becuase you have seen some muslims doing one thing doesnt always mean they are following islam correctly

Ameeratul Layl

:sl: lol. thats sweet.

the purpose of hijab is to cover the awra....this is the chest part of the woman. Im sure u get the hint dont you.lol.

MetSudaisTwice
salam
wearing niqaab boosts the respect and tranquility shown toward sisters
wasalam

Rabi'ya
11-08-2005, 01:34 PM

personally i think the younger generation are more easily impressed with the way of life in this world. they are focussing on materialism and not the way which allah has prescribed.

the older women have perhaps been shielded somehwat from this culture and there fore are happier in jilbab.

I personally cannot live without my jilbab and would never let the westerners try to get me to dress differently

Ameeratul Layl
11-08-2005, 01:34 PM
:sl: For the sake of CarrieValandez The niqab is: the veil.

S_87
11-08-2005, 01:37 PM

well what i meant is when a woman wears hijab-it does not stop at just covering her hair. her clothes must be loose, not revealing and not attractive.

not only older women wear full cloaks. many young muslim women also wear it. :thumbs_up

i give you a transalation of 2 verses in the Quran

O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) all over their bodies (i.e. screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way). That will be better, that they should be known (as free respectable women) so as not to be annoyed. And All&#226;h is Ever Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful
[33.59]

And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts) and not to show off their adornment except only that which is apparent (like both eyes for necessity to see the way, or outer palms of hands or one eye or dress like veil, gloves, head-cover, apron, etc.), and to draw their veils all over Juy&#251;bihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)
first part of [24.31]

now i post these verse to show what is in the Quran. people interpret these verses in different ways, hense you see women with and without cloaks

MetSudaisTwice
11-08-2005, 01:40 PM
salam
yes mashallah sis amani
jazakallah
changing the quran and its meaning is a grave sin and that is why some sisters have been influenced by the altered meaning of the quran
people change the meaning to suit thier life and desires
may allah guide us all
wasalam

Ameeratul Layl
11-08-2005, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
yes mashallah sis amani
jazakallah
changing the quran and its meaning is a grave sin and that is why some sisters have been influenced by the altered meaning of the quran
people change the meaning to suit thier life and desires
may allah guide us all
wasalam

:sl: Some just dont understand it.....:-\

CarrieValandez
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Remember just becuase you have seen some muslims doing one thing doesnt always mean they are following islam correctly
What an insult. I am aware of that. I see muslims throwing garlic at my friend and trying to convince her to convert. I see that, but I don't assume every muslim throws garlic at people forcing them to convert.

My intelligence has greatly been insulted by many in this entire thread, and, if this is the sort of behaviour that is allowed, I will go. Forgive me for trying to be fun.

A NON ISLAM DOES NOT INSTANTLY MEAN NOT KNOWING ABOUT ISLAM

MetSudaisTwice
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
salam
that is why it is our duty to guide them
one story comes to mind
this is back in the old age, the post-prophethood age
there was a small towm that commited sins day and night, they did not beleive in allah
so allah said to an angel to take all their life away
however the angel said to allah that there is one man who obeyed allah so much, praying and doing everything in allah's name
so allah said to the angel kill him first and then kill the whole town
the story is that becasue the righteous man did not try to guide his towm allah punished him for it and punished the whole town for the kuffaric actions
wasalam

Rabi'ya
11-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Carrie,

I would just like to say, we do not know how much knowledge you have about Islam. Obviously the longer you stay the more we will get to know you.

We certainly did not mean to upset you, but simply to discuss the topic at hand.

CarrieValandez
11-08-2005, 01:53 PM
We certainly did not mean to upset you, but simply to discuss the topic at hand.
:)I am aware of that, but I was not straying from the topic I originally had started.

Rabi'ya
11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
:)I am aware of that, but I was not straying from the topic I originally had started.
:embarrass my bad :embarrass

perhaps you shud ask some direct questions to help clear up ur queries. that way, hopefully, we wont insult u :hmm:

:statisfie

CarrieValandez
11-08-2005, 01:58 PM
bro khaldun has a point there, it is true
Yes it is. I do not assume all muslims are terrorists because of some
who do it.

Khaldun
11-08-2005, 02:01 PM

I didnt mean to offend you, not in the least when i said what i did i meant as a general thing, im very sorry if you indeed where offended. I just stated the obvious, if I was to see a christian doing something natural thought would be perhaps hes doing this because of christianity, I was merely trying to help you understand but sorry once again if you took it the wrong way.

DaSangarTalib
11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
i hope this poem will shed some light on this matter

THE VEIL (HIJAB)

They say, Oh, poor girl, you are so

beautiful you know,

It’s a shame that you cover up your

beauty so,

She just smiles and graciously

Responds reassuringly,

This beauty that I have is just one

Simple part of me,

This body that I have ,no stranger Has the right to see,

These long clothes,this shawl I Wear,

ensure my modesty,(Hayaa)

Faith is more essential than fashion,

Wouldn’t you agree This Hijab,

This mark of piety (Takva),

Is an act of faith,a symbol

For all the world to see..

meknesi
11-08-2005, 02:03 PM
and we dont assume all non muslims are terrorists either jus because of action of there leaders bush blair a alot more...........

CarrieValandez
11-08-2005, 02:05 PM
OK :)

f I was to see a christian doing something natural thought would be perhaps hes doing this because of christianity
Like Islam, a lot of "Christians" do things that aren't encouraged by God.
Such as a "sunday only christian"

CarrieValandez
11-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Bush aint in my country....although our leader wishes he was .

Ameeratul Layl
11-08-2005, 02:19 PM

As Muslims....we should do right first...others will follow.

CarrieValandez...plz stay on topic.Have ur questions regarding hijab been answered? Or do u have more?

Peace!

Bittersteel
11-08-2005, 04:45 PM
if a woman does wear the hijab or does not cover herself,what is the punishment for that?

are we supposed to force them into wearing it?

Mu'maneen
11-08-2005, 06:14 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

Some people of sadly misinterpreted some verses or they have made the hijab into some sort of fashion thing, in this case we should go back to the Quran and Sunnah and look for what is suitable for a hijab. Remember just becuase you have seen some muslims doing one thing doesnt always mean they are following islam correctly
Excellent answer Dear Brother of Islam.

Sister, the basball cap does not fall under the category of Hijab. Even if all the hair is hidden beneath the cap, it still does not fall under the category of Hijab. I would strongly advise all Sisters to observe Hijab due to the obligation from Allah to us.

---------------------

Visit my new Islamic Site:
http://hstrial-besmail.homestead.com/islam.html

Ansar Al-'Adl
11-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Off-topic posts removed from this thread.

Do all muslim women have to wear a disguise/hijab?
Yes, the hijab is obligatory. :) But no it is not a disguise. The hijab is part of a Muslim woman's modest clothing. I think all human beings would agree that some form of limits must be placed on what constitutes modest dress and what doesn't. However, if we left that limit up to human beings it would constantly fluctuate due to the subjective judgements of human beings.

Many people make the mistake of thinking that women are covered in Islam due to embarassment or oppression. Nothing could be further from the truth, as I'm sure you'll find if you read this article written by 5 Muslim women. Sh. Yusuf Estes accurately describes the nature of the hijab as follows:
Jewels Are Precious – So Protect Them

When someone has a jewel or any precious item one always treats it with great respect and protects it against any loss. One may even build a special place to keep it or place it in a vault for security. Perhaps one may even hire a guard to insure that it will not be stolen. These things are most obvious to all of us and nothing here seems strange at all.

By the way, someone may say, 'Why do we compare women to jewels and pearls? Doesn't this sound as describing women as objects or mere possessions in this world?'

In reply to that, I say: Comparing women to jewels and pearls doesn't mean that women are mere objects or worldly possessions. The intended item or object here is what the woman possesses, as mentioned by Allah in His Book. Allah is ordering us to tell the believing woman to lower her gaze and to protect her, guard her private parts and protect her chastity. She is being well advised by her father, brother, husband, son and all of us, to cover herself.

Somehow we have been deluded into thinking that women exhibiting their beauty in front of others and men encouraging this is warranted. Many large corporations protect their shareholders from losses while at the same time producing cosmetics, jewelry and clothing that do exactly the opposite for our ladies. Money and vain desires are the primary reasons for this type of exploitation in the world today.

It should be that we would be asking the question: 'Why are women exposed in public in a way that men do not even see them in the privacy of your home?' The problem today is that society is so far away from the basic concepts of moral and correct behavior that was originally ordained by the Almighty Lord of the Universe (Allah). As each year passes, we see more and more deviation away from the proper attire and behavior in public. Fashion designers, cosmetic companies and women’s magazines make huge fortunes selling the poor beguiled women on the idea of presenting themselves as if on display in a market for others to stare at them and then decide how they 'rate.'

So actually, Islam has been preserving the correct and proper dress code, not only for ladies, but for men as well. In addition to defining the proper attire for the sexes, Islam also carefully instructs both men and women on how to behave toward each other. For instance the Qur’an tells us in surat An-Nur in verses 30 and 31 exactly how to act in the presence of the opposite sex: “Tell the believing men to LOWER THEIR GAZE…” And then “Tell the believing women to LOWER THEIR GAZE….”

So, immediately we understand that it is more than just the clothing that is desired. It is the proper respect and behavior of the two sexes toward each other at all times. Keep in mind that Islam is not just another religion. Islam (Total Surrender, Submission, Obedience, Sincerity and Peace with Allah) is for all people, in all places and in all times. (SOURCE)
I hope that helps.
I would look pretty silly in one; and defeats the purpose of my blue hair.
Since I don't know the purpose behind your blue hair, I couldn't really comment. :hmm2:
There is nothing in the Quaran that states Blue Hair is wrong
True, but as you may already know, the Qur'an is not the only source of guidance for a Muslim.

The requirement for Muslim women is to dress modestly in a manner that covers their body except for their face and hands. If they have done this, it makes no difference whether they wear a cloak or a blouse and skirt, etc.

I hope this helps.
Regards

Umm Yoosuf
11-09-2005, 11:52 AM
:sl: *Ahem* back to the topic. Lets not arue about this. Either say good or remain silent brothers and sisters.

Hi CarrieValandez

Some good questions you've asked :)

The Hijab is simply a commandment from Allah (God) first to the Men then to the Women. Hijab symbolizes, not oppression or terrorism, but purity, modesty, a woman's Islamic identity, and obedience, or submission to Allah and a testament that one is a Muslim. The Hijab is not a new thing Mary, the mother of Jusus covered herself; if you look at the nuns they wear it etc

Why Do Muslim Women cover more then Men?
Because Islam recognizes that men and women are different.

Rabi'ya
11-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Salaams, sister Jannah

JazakAllah for posting a veery nice post.

I am wondering(if Carrie comes back online), whether Carrie could let us know if she understnad the difference between hijab for men and hijab for women and the parts of the body which are to be covered for each gender?

Bittersteel
11-09-2005, 01:12 PM
can someone please answer my questions?

format_quote Originally Posted by Me
if a woman does wear the hijab or does not cover herself,what is the punishment for that?

and hijab applies for men first.we aren't even to look at women whether they are wearing the hijab or not.

Muhammad
11-09-2005, 02:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abrar

Question :

We are aware of hijab - covering of woman's face and hair. Some of my muslim lady friends donot cover their hair and there is an argument that if they tie their hair rather than keep it open, the degree of the sin (gunah) is smaller? Also keeping long hair open is a greater sin than keeping short hair open. Is it true? Plese help and reply.
Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

When Allaah, may He be exalted, and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoin something, it is obligatory for the Muslim to say, “We hear and we obey,” and to hasten to carry out what has been enjoined upon him. This is what is required by faith in Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error”
[al-Ahzaab 33:36]

Shaykh ‘Abd al-Rahmaan al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
It is not for a believer, man or woman” means: it is not appropriate or befitting for the one who is described as a believer to do anything other than to hasten to please Allaah and His Messenger, and to flee from incurring the wrath of Allaah and His Messenger, and to obey their commands, and to avoid that which they have prohibited. It is not appropriate for a believing man or a believing woman “when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter” and enjoined it, “that they should have any option in their decision”. They do not have the choice of whether to do it or not, rather the believing man and the believing woman know that the Messenger is dearer to them then their own selves, so they should not let their own whims and desires form a barrier between them and obeying the command of Allaah and His Messenger.

And whoever disobeys Allaah and His Messenger, he has indeed strayed into a plain error” means, an obvious error, because he has forsaken the Straight Path which leads to the reward of Allaah, and has strayed to another path which leads to a painful torment. So Allaah mentions first the reason for not going against the command of Allaah and His Messenger, which is faith, then He mentions the deterrent for that, which is fear of going astray, which leads to punishment and humiliation. End quote.
Tafseer al-Sa’di, p. 612.

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us that the one who disobeys him is the one who does not want to enter Paradise! Al-Bukhaari (7280) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “All of my ummah will enter Paradise except those who refuse.” They said: “O Messenger of Allaah, who would refuse?” He said: “Whoever obeys me will enter Paradise and whoever disobeys me has refused.”
When the command of hijab came, the first Muslim women hastened to obey it, so much so that the women tore their clothes in order to hasten to obey this command. This is what is meant by faith.

It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: May Allaah have mercy on the women of the early muhaajireen. When Allaah revealed the words “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)”, they tore their aprons and covered their faces with them. Narrated by al-Bukhaari in a mu’allaq report and by Abu Dawood (4102); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said:
Muroot, sing. murt (translated here as “aprons”) refers to the izaar or lower garment.
Fath al-Baari, 8/490

Our advice to those sisters is to hasten to obey the command of Allaah without any hesitation, and not to try to obey part of the command and neglect part of it. It is obligatory for a woman to cover her hair, face and all of her body, and it is not permissible for her to show any part of that in front of non-mahram men. Whoever does that is exposing herself to the threat and is lacking in faith to the extent that she is failing to respond to the command of Allaah.

In the answer to question no. 11774 we have explained the ruling on women covering their faces, with detailed evidence.

In the answer to question no. 6244 we have answered the question: “Why should women cover their hair?”
In the answer to questions no. 214 and 6991 we have given a description of correct hijab.

And Allaah knows best.

MetSudaisTwice
11-09-2005, 02:28 PM
salam
jazakallah bro muhammad
i thought this thread was closed
wasalam

Khaldun
11-09-2005, 02:32 PM

The thread as been re-opened as it will inshAllah be beneficial for non-muslims, but if similar behavouir is brought back then it will be closed, so be warned

Umm Yoosuf
11-09-2005, 02:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
jazakallah bro muhammad
i thought this thread was closed
wasalam
So did I and i wrote one deadly message to the Admins :argue:
Please except my apologies and forgive me :(

MetSudaisTwice
11-09-2005, 02:35 PM
salam
yes admins please forgive me for my actions on this thread
i think hijab is vital and essential in a sisters life because it makes them feel closer to imaan and gives them a sense of identity that they are happy muslims
wasalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.