PDA

View Full Version : Istikharah Prayer - (asking Allaah subhaanahu wa ta'aala for guidance.)



- Qatada -
12-06-2005, 09:22 PM

Asalaamu 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


What is Istikharah?


Many times you be stuck in some sort of situation and you hear brothers and sisters shouting out 'do istikharah!' You've never heard of that word before, or you've heard of it but you've never known how to perform it?

You have questions in your head but you might feel too embarassed to ask, or you may not have the right person to ask.


You think to yourself; -

What is istikharah? What is the proper method of performing it? Is it true that for Istikharah to be valid, one must experience some kind of a dream indicating the proper course of action to follow?


Insha Allaah (God willing) you will learn abit more about istikharah and how to perform it. By the end of reading this article, if you still need a deeper understanding - then please dont be afraid to ask or voice your opinion. Learning is an important factor in islam so please dont be afraid to ask. Jazak Allaah khayr.



Istikharah Prayer


Istikharah prayer is a two-rak`ah non-obligatory Prayer by which one seeks Allah's guidance when he is confused or can't choose between permissible alternatives. In this case, the Muslim should pray to Allah the Almighty to guide him to whatever He sees fit for him and make his heart satisfied with the decision.


In the Prayer, one asks Allah to facilitate the matter if it is good and turn it away if it is not. Thus, after praying Istikharah, one should decide on a course of action, and trust that if the matter does not work out, it is because it was not good for him. One should not then feel disappointed if things did not go as hoped.


Istikharah is only prescribed for matters deemed permissible by the Shari`ah and not for any issue that plainly opposes Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala's Laws. It is when you have two permissible options and you do not know which is better for you that you should resort to Allah the Almighty to seek His guidance.



Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:


“Istikharah means, "seeking the best course of action." In Islam, it is used for approaching Allah through Prayer for guidance in a case when one cannot make up his mind. It should, however, be pointed out, that Istikharah applies strictly to cases that are halal (lawful or permissible), since there cannot be a question of choice concerning matters that are considered haram (unlawful or impermissible).




When faced with important decisions in life, a believer is persuaded to use all of his Allah-given resources, as well as to consult people who are known for their knowledge, piety and sound opinion. After having done so, he can turn to Allah for guidance.


Humans are limited in knowledge, and Allah alone possesses perfect knowledge. Allah has told us that He alone possesses the keys to all that is good. He has also promised to help us if we turn to Him earnestly and sincerely.


We see around us people doing all sorts of things for confirmation when faced with important decisions in their life. The Pre-Islamic Arabs resorted to the practice of divining with arrows or the stirring of birds. In modern times, even some of the most prominent people consult astrologers, psychics, gurus or so called spiritual masters. Islam teaches that since Allah alone knows the unseen realities, and He alone is aware of what is good for us in an absolute sense, we must seek His help.



Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be on him) taught us how to do so. He told us that if we are faced with decisions in life and are unable to make up our mind, we must approach Allah through Prayer. This Prayer is called Prayer of Istikharah. It is a Sunnah or a highly recommended act. The specific method of doing it, is as follows:
First, one must offer a Prayer of two rak`ahs with the intention of seeking guidance from Allah. Then he should offer the following supplication:


"Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi`ilmika, wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlika al-azim, fa'innaka taqdiru wala aqdiru, wa ta`lamu wa la a`lamu, wa anta `allamu-l-ghuyub.

Allahumma, in kunta ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra [here mention your case] khairun li fi dini wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or 'ajili amri wa`ajilihi) faqdurhu li wa yas-sirhu li thumma barik li fihi.

Wa in ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra sharrun li fi deeni wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or `ajili amri wa ajilihi) fasrifhu `anni was-rifni `anhu, waqdur liya al-khaira haithu kana thumma 'ardini bihi.”


(O Allah, I seek Your help in finding out the best course of action (in this matter) by invoking Your knowledge; I ask You to empower me, and I beseech Your favor. You alone have the absolute power, while I have no power. You alone know it all, while I do not. You are the One Who knows the hidden mysteries. O Allah, if You know this thing (I am embarking on) [here mention your case] is good for me in my religion, worldly life, and my ultimate destiny, then facilitate it for me, and then bless me in my action. If, on the other hand, You know this thing is detrimental for me in my religion, worldly life, and ultimate destiny, turn it away from me, and turn me away from it, and decree what is good for me, wherever it may be, and make me content with it.)
After having done so, he should follow the decision that he is strongly inclined to. If he feels no such inclination, then he should choose one of the options; he can rest assured that Allah will guide his steps. It has been reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "One who asks Allah for guidance in choosing the best course of action will never be a loser."



It is not at all necessary for a person to have visions or dreams following Istikharah. However, if a person does experience a vision or dream, and he feels strongly about it, he should follow it.” (Source: www.islam.ca)




Imam An-Nawawi (may Allah bless his soul) adds:


“After making Istikharah, a person must do what he or she is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making the Istikharah. And if his or her feelings change, he or she should leave what he or she had intended to do, for otherwise he or she is not leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking help from Allah's power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice means that one should completely abandon what one desired oneself.”


Also, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former head of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and member of the Fiqh Council of North America, states:

“Doing Istikharah does not mean that one should not use one's reason or experience. Allah the Exalted has commanded us in the Qur'an that we should use our intellect and seek knowledge. If we do not know something, we should ask those who know. But human reason has limitations. We do not know everything; only Allah does know all things. When we are faced with a dilemma then we should turn to Allah to seek His guidance.




After offering Istikharah, you may do whatever is best in your understanding or whatever convinces you. You may repeat the du`a' of Istikharah several times if you are still hesitant. It is not necessary to dream about anything and you do not have to wait for an answer in your dreams.



Most of the hadiths on this subject do not talk about any dream. However, the famous Hanafi jurist Ibn `Abdeen has suggested in his Hashiyah that one should make the Istikharah Prayer before sleeping, and should sleep after having performed Wudu'. The face should be towards Makkah. If one sees something white or green in one's dream, then the answer is yes, but if one sees something dark or red then the answer is no.



Other jurists of Shafi`i, Maliki, Hanbali and Ja`fari schools say that one should do that which is most convincing. According to Imam Malik, other people can also perform Istikharah on behalf of someone.



There is nothing strange about dreams. If you did not see any dreams, then it does not mean that dreams do not occur. After the Istikharah Prayer, some people may see a dream and some may not. We know that some of our dreams become true. Some time we see something in a dream and it happens exactly the same way later. As there are good dreams and bad dreams, so there are also true and false dreams. The interpretation of dreams is a special knowledge that some people have. In the Qur'an many dreams are mentioned. Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) saw in his dream that he was sacrificing his son. Prophet Yusuf (peace be upon him) had dreams and Allah also gave him the knowledge of interpreting dreams. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) also sometimes interpreted the dreams of his Companions.”



Allah Almighty knows best.


Source.


Other Questions.


Salatul Istikharah: Any Sign of Response?


Istikharah Prayer: Rules & Signs of Response




more info:
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Snowflake
12-10-2005, 10:19 PM
:sl:

JazakAllah Akee brother for that. I did a different version of istakhara. I'm still confused, so inshaAllah will pray this tonite and see what happens. Oh and as you're the Mod, can I request you close my thread on the 'Marriage in Islam' Board plz. It's titled 'Dear brothers and sisters Please advise me'.

JazakAllah

:w:
Reply

- Qatada -
12-10-2005, 10:22 PM
wa alykum as Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


jazak Allaah khayr. insha Allaah i'll ask another member to do that because i dont have any power in that section.. by the way i read through that thread and it was really powerful subhan Allaah.. we all will remember you in our prayers insha Allaah.


wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.
Reply

Snowflake
12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by akhee
wa alykum as Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


jazak Allaah khayr. insha Allaah i'll ask another member to do that because i dont have any power in that section.. by the way i read through that thread and it was really powerful subhan Allaah.. we all will remember you in our prayers insha Allaah.


wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.
Ok bro, tnx. JazakAllah khair for your prayers-May Allah ta ala bless you too, inshaAllah. Ameen.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
MetSudaisTwice
12-13-2005, 11:07 AM
salam
jazakallah bro for sharing that
wasalam
Reply

Unique
01-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Salam

I was wondering, is there any difference between someone else performing istikhara for you and you performing it yourself? Is it better if you do it yourself?

Wassalam
Reply

- Qatada -
01-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by Unique
Salam

I was wondering, is there any difference between someone else performing istikhara for you and you performing it yourself? Is it better if you do it yourself?

Wassalam

:wasalamex


Its recommended that you do it yourself sister, because if its a decision thats going to affect you, then its wiser for you to perform the istikharah.


This is because if the other person does it for you, they may do it and not ask for the answer willingly from their heart, therefore they might not get a response.

It could also be that the other person who performs the istikharah, they may have a dream which they may give the wrong meaning too. Therefore your decision is affected by a persons opinion of the dream instead of you experiencing the dream.


Sometimes a person may not even get a dream, and may just experience a feeling after they have performed it, so if someone did it on your behalf and told you they experienced that feeling - it cant really be 100% reliable.

Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "O Anas, when you intend to do some important things, then seek the good (seek Istikharah) from your Lord seven times and then do that to which your heart (or mind) is inclined, because the good is in it."

Therefore, its better to perform the istikharah by yourself, perform it seven times and then do what your heart or mind is inclined to, because you've turned to Allaah Almighty for guidance.


wa Allaahu a'lam. (and Allaah Almighty knows best.)



:salamext:
Reply

sapphire
01-14-2006, 10:05 PM
yeah you would rather do it yourself but maybe in the situation where your heart is so set on one answer you may ask others to also do it........
Reply

Unique
01-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Salam

Ok, cool. When you perform it seven times...thats once every day right? lol, it might be obvious, but I want to be sure. Also I asked my previous question because I asked someone else to do it for me, but then they also did something else, they opened the quran and read the first ayah they saw to help give an answer. Ive never heard of doing this before, is this really a part of istikhara?

When the person did istikhara for me, they gave me an answer, but it was also influenced by them reading the quran...now im confused as I didnt know they were going to do that, does that mean their answer isnt valid?

Wassalam
Reply

- Qatada -
01-15-2006, 12:26 PM
:wasalamex


Dont worry, its important to ask of anything your unsure about because it makes it easier to understand what you got to do.

From the hadith mentioned in the previous post, its been said that one has to do it seven times, so yeah - you should perform it for seven nights, "then do that to which your heart (or mind) is inclined, because the good is in it."


Referring to your second question - I cant really say whether the istikharah was reliable, this is because the proper way of performing istikharah is in a supplication form and performing a two raka'ah prayer. The prayer involves asking for guidance for that affair, and our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him and his beloved family) taught the sahabah (radhiAllaahu anhu) to perform it the following way:


First, one must offer a Prayer of two rak`ahs with the intention of seeking guidance from Allah. Then he should offer the following supplication:


"Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi`ilmika, wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlika al-azim, fa'innaka taqdiru wala aqdiru, wa ta`lamu wa la a`lamu, wa anta `allamu-l-ghuyub.

Allahumma, in kunta ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra [here mention your case] khairun li fi dini wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or 'ajili amri wa`ajilihi) faqdurhu li wa yas-sirhu li thumma barik li fihi.

Wa in ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra sharrun li fi deeni wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or `ajili amri wa ajilihi) fasrifhu `anni was-rifni `anhu, waqdur liya al-khaira haithu kana thumma 'ardini bihi.”


(O Allah, I seek Your help in finding out the best course of action (in this matter) by invoking Your knowledge; I ask You to empower me, and I beseech Your favor. You alone have the absolute power, while I have no power. You alone know it all, while I do not. You are the One Who knows the hidden mysteries. O Allah, if You know this thing (I am embarking on) [here mention your case] is good for me in my religion, worldly life, and my ultimate destiny, then facilitate it for me, and then bless me in my action. If, on the other hand, You know this thing is detrimental for me in my religion, worldly life, and ultimate destiny, turn it away from me, and turn me away from it, and decree what is good for me, wherever it may be, and make me content with it.)

So if the person never performed it the correct way, it may not be reliable. You also need to remember that performing istikharah by oneself will give more reliable results, because you'll experience everything first-hand instead of someone else performing it and feeling confused on what they dreamt about, or what feeling they experienced.

Even if the person got an answer, you may want to perform it yourself because one should do it seven times anyway, and you may want to see the results first-hand insha Allaah.



:salamext:
Reply

Unique
01-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Salam

Ok, thanks alot brother, I will InshaAllah, perform it myself. :)

Wassalam
Reply

DaSangarTalib
01-15-2006, 07:25 PM
:sl:

Masha Allah! excellent information brotha. Ive been wanting to find out some proper detailz about these types of prayers. i will definetly be praying those Insha Allah when in a dilemma and in need of guidance in a particular matter. Jazakallah khair for sharing.

:w:
Reply

Al-Zaara
02-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Assalam aleikum.

First of all, thank you for sharing these very important informations about istikahara! :)

Originally Posted by Unique
Salam

Ok, cool. When you perform it seven times...thats once every day right? lol, it might be obvious, but I want to be sure. Also I asked my previous question because I asked someone else to do it for me, but then they also did something else, they opened the quran and read the first ayah they saw to help give an answer. Ive never heard of doing this before, is this really a part of istikhara?
Sister Uniqe, you asked about opening the quran and finding the answer in an ayah. Well, I think this site/link might help you:

<Link Removed>

It has helped me alot, hopefully it will help you too and answer your questions. :)

Ma salama.
Reply

------
03-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Confusedddddddddddd :?
Reply

Umm Yoosuf
03-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Why are you confused?
Reply

------
03-13-2006, 07:51 PM
:rollseyes
Reply

ridaa_islam
03-17-2006, 03:36 PM
excellent job, bro
jazakallah for the precise piece on istiqaara, i really think its one of the greatest blessings dat hav been given to the ummah...
though i wonder why our sis is confused wen its all clear...
n by the way that thing abt repeating it 7 times is only in the case when u do it once n r stil unclear abt ur course of action, den u repeat it again...n so on..
hop dat cleard up things a bit for sis. :)
Reply

ridaa_islam
03-17-2006, 03:49 PM
i hav used istiqaara at every point in my li'l life wenever i was feeling overwhelmed... n believe me... the relief it gives u...its like talkin to Allah Himself! :)
Reply

- Qatada -
03-17-2006, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by ridaa_islam
i hav used istiqaara at every point in my li'l life wenever i was feeling overwhelmed... n believe me... the relief it gives u...its like talkin to Allah Himself! :)

:salamext:


masha Allaah, i agree - especially in such big changes of ones life, like marriage. Most people would feel so stressed out when making such a big life changing thing like that, but getting your decision off the one who created you, and the whole universe makes you feel so secure.

At the same time, its a big imaan booster because you feel that Allaah Almighty is listening and accepting your prayer, and responding to it.


Alhamdulillah for islam.



:wasalamex
Reply

ridaa_islam
03-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

getting your decision off the one who created you, and the whole universe makes you feel so secure.

At the same time, its a big imaan booster because you feel that Allaah Almighty is listening and accepting your prayer, and responding to it.


Alhamdulillah for islam.

so true. it gives u an amazing sense of contentment, u know, becoz u've surrendered ur problem to Allah...n now u know He's going to solve it for u...
Mashallah...
shukr alhamdulillah for islam. :)
Reply

------
03-22-2006, 11:01 AM
:sl:

I have used Istikharah as well and Alhumdulillah it came in use.

:w:
Reply

Farhiya
04-09-2006, 03:28 AM
:sl:

jazakallah thx for Sharing that with us brother:) :) :)
Reply

Slave of Rehman
04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


What is Istikharah?


Many times you be stuck in some sort of situation and you hear brothers and sisters shouting out 'do istikharah!' You've never heard of that word before, or you've heard of it but you've never known how to perform it?

You have questions in your head but you might feel too embarassed to ask, or you may not have the right person to ask.


You think to yourself; -

What is istikharah? What is the proper method of performing it? Is it true that for Istikharah to be valid, one must experience some kind of a dream indicating the proper course of action to follow?


Insha Allaah (God willing) you will learn abit more about istikharah and how to perform it. By the end of reading this article, if you still need a deeper understanding - then please dont be afraid to ask or voice your opinion. Learning is an important factor in islam so please dont be afraid to ask. Jazak Allaah khayr.



Istikharah Prayer


Istikharah prayer is a two-rak`ah non-obligatory Prayer by which one seeks Allah's guidance when he is confused or can't choose between permissible alternatives. In this case, the Muslim should pray to Allah the Almighty to guide him to whatever He sees fit for him and make his heart satisfied with the decision.


In the Prayer, one asks Allah to facilitate the matter if it is good and turn it away if it is not. Thus, after praying Istikharah, one should decide on a course of action, and trust that if the matter does not work out, it is because it was not good for him. One should not then feel disappointed if things did not go as hoped.


Istikharah is only prescribed for matters deemed permissible by the Shari`ah and not for any issue that plainly opposes Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala's Laws. It is when you have two permissible options and you do not know which is better for you that you should resort to Allah the Almighty to seek His guidance.



Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:


“Istikharah means, "seeking the best course of action." In Islam, it is used for approaching Allah through Prayer for guidance in a case when one cannot make up his mind. It should, however, be pointed out, that Istikharah applies strictly to cases that are halal (lawful or permissible), since there cannot be a question of choice concerning matters that are considered haram (unlawful or impermissible).




When faced with important decisions in life, a believer is persuaded to use all of his Allah-given resources, as well as to consult people who are known for their knowledge, piety and sound opinion. After having done so, he can turn to Allah for guidance.


Humans are limited in knowledge, and Allah alone possesses perfect knowledge. Allah has told us that He alone possesses the keys to all that is good. He has also promised to help us if we turn to Him earnestly and sincerely.


We see around us people doing all sorts of things for confirmation when faced with important decisions in their life. The Pre-Islamic Arabs resorted to the practice of divining with arrows or the stirring of birds. In modern times, even some of the most prominent people consult astrologers, psychics, gurus or so called spiritual masters. Islam teaches that since Allah alone knows the unseen realities, and He alone is aware of what is good for us in an absolute sense, we must seek His help.



Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be on him) taught us how to do so. He told us that if we are faced with decisions in life and are unable to make up our mind, we must approach Allah through Prayer. This Prayer is called Prayer of Istikharah. It is a Sunnah or a highly recommended act. The specific method of doing it, is as follows:







After having done so, he should follow the decision that he is strongly inclined to. If he feels no such inclination, then he should choose one of the options; he can rest assured that Allah will guide his steps. It has been reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "One who asks Allah for guidance in choosing the best course of action will never be a loser."



It is not at all necessary for a person to have visions or dreams following Istikharah. However, if a person does experience a vision or dream, and he feels strongly about it, he should follow it.” (Source: www.islam.ca)




Imam An-Nawawi (may Allah bless his soul) adds:


“After making Istikharah, a person must do what he or she is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making the Istikharah. And if his or her feelings change, he or she should leave what he or she had intended to do, for otherwise he or she is not leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking help from Allah's power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice means that one should completely abandon what one desired oneself.”


Also, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former head of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and member of the Fiqh Council of North America, states:

“Doing Istikharah does not mean that one should not use one's reason or experience. Allah the Exalted has commanded us in the Qur'an that we should use our intellect and seek knowledge. If we do not know something, we should ask those who know. But human reason has limitations. We do not know everything; only Allah does know all things. When we are faced with a dilemma then we should turn to Allah to seek His guidance.




After offering Istikharah, you may do whatever is best in your understanding or whatever convinces you. You may repeat the du`a' of Istikharah several times if you are still hesitant. It is not necessary to dream about anything and you do not have to wait for an answer in your dreams. It is reported in a Hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "O Anas, when you intend to do some important things, then seek the good (seek Istikharah) from your Lord seven times and then do that to which your heart (or mind) is inclined, because the good is in it."




Most of the hadiths on this subject do not talk about any dream. However, the famous Hanafi jurist Ibn `Abdeen has suggested in his Hashiyah that one should make the Istikharah Prayer before sleeping, and should sleep after having performed Wudu'. The face should be towards Makkah. If one sees something white or green in one's dream, then the answer is yes, but if one sees something dark or red then the answer is no.



Other jurists of Shafi`i, Maliki, Hanbali and Ja`fari schools say that one should do that which is most convincing. According to Imam Malik, other people can also perform Istikharah on behalf of someone.



There is nothing strange about dreams. If you did not see any dreams, then it does not mean that dreams do not occur. After the Istikharah Prayer, some people may see a dream and some may not. We know that some of our dreams become true. Some time we see something in a dream and it happens exactly the same way later. As there are good dreams and bad dreams, so there are also true and false dreams. The interpretation of dreams is a special knowledge that some people have. In the Qur'an many dreams are mentioned. Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) saw in his dream that he was sacrificing his son. Prophet Yusuf (peace be upon him) had dreams and Allah also gave him the knowledge of interpreting dreams. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) also sometimes interpreted the dreams of his Companions.”



Allah Almighty knows best.


Source.


Other Questions.


Salatul Istikharah: Any Sign of Response?


Istikharah Prayer: Rules & Signs of Response


Humm good artical.
Jazakallah
Reply

Omar Khalil
04-10-2006, 02:04 PM
thank you for this thread, being fairly new to the deen...I never even heard of this prayer!:?
Reply

Maimunah
04-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Omar Khalil
thank you for this thread, being fairly new to the deen...I never even heard of this prayer!:?
salaam
its a prayer of guidence:) u say this prayer when ur in dilema and u dont know what to do, so u ask allah for help for he knows everything:).
wasalaam
Reply

Slave of Rehman
04-11-2006, 09:26 AM
thats right Sister.
Jazakallah
Reply

M H Kahn
04-28-2006, 06:39 AM
When one cannot decide about a course of action, he may say two-raka salah and then seek Allah's help in finding the decision. This is what I know to be "Istikharah Prayer"; but there is no certainty that your heart may give you the decision desired by you after saying this salah, as only Allah knows what is the best for you. Istkhara salah is just one of the many ways of seeking Allah's help. We cannot do without seeking Allah's help and guidance; and we do this in many ways.

But we have cheats among our so-called Islamic scholars who claim that they can know the unknown, that is the gayeb by the 'Istikharah Prayer". They deceive innocent people and build their fortune on it.
Reply

M H Kahn
05-01-2006, 01:05 PM
After the Istikharah Prayer, some people may see a dream and some may not.
The question of dream is just a fiction invented by misguided scholars to earn money.
Reply

Lina
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
:sl:

Reaping the Fruits of Afflictions

By Mohammad Fat-hi
April 13, 2005


Abu Sa`id and Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with them) reported that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “No fatigue, nor disease, nor anxiety, nor sadness, nor hurt, nor distress befalls a Muslim, even if it were the prick he receives from a thorn, but that Allah expiates some of his sins for that” (Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

This world is no more than a test in which all humans are bound to face some hardships and challenges that reveal their patience and steadfastness. The forms of this test are numerous and diverse: Some people suffer poverty, some suffer physical illnesses, some live in a state of insecurity, some are deprived of their cherished and beloved ones, and still others suffer psychiatric disorders. Referring to this fact, Allah says:

[And surely We shall try you with something of fear and hunger, and loss of wealth and lives and crops; but give glad tidings to the patient, Who says, when afflicted with calamity: “To Allah We belong, and to Him is our return”: They are those on whom (descend) Blessings from Allah, and Mercy, and they are the ones that receive guidance.] (Al-Baqarah 2:155-157)

In another verse, He Almighty says:

[He Who created Death and Life, that He may try which of you is best in deed: and He is the Exalted in Might, Oft-Forgiving.] (Al-Mulk 67:2)

Since trials and hardships are inevitable, Islam does not let them pass by without instructing Muslims on the best course of action or by guiding them to the safest and most appropriate attitude. The Hadith reveal one dimension of Islam’s recipe for successfully dealing with life’s challenges. In order to balance the negative effects posed by afflictions, Islam draws our attention to their expected fruit. Problems and troubles serve as means to expiate sins and elevate the believer’s rank in the Hereafter. This optimistic and positive approach safeguards one from falling prey to despair and grief. Here, it is fitting to cite some Prophetic hadiths that emphasize this concept:

Abu Yahya Suhaib bin Sinan (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “How wonderful is the case of a believer; there is good for him in everything and this applies only to a believer. If prosperity attends him, he expresses gratitude to Allah and that is good for him; and if adversity befalls him, he endures it patiently and that is good for him”(Muslim).

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “He whom Allah intends good, He makes him to suffer from some affliction” (Al-Bukhari).

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A Muslim, male or female, continues to remain under trial in respect of his life, property, and offspring until he faces Allah, the Exalted, with no sin record” (At-Tirmidhi).

The above hadiths should not be mistaken for a call to fatalism and defeatism. The message the hadiths convey is that every Muslim should expect hardships and prepare to weather them. This point makes a distinction between one who trusts in Allah and believes in His mercy and one who feels that he is alone in this world, that he faces its formidable challenges isolated from any source of support or assistance. So, these hadiths are meant to infuse the Muslim with hope and vigor and drive away the destructive thoughts of failure and hopelessness. To get a better understanding of them, they should be considered light of the following hadiths:

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “A strong believer is better and dearer to Allah than a weak one, and both are good. Adhere to that which is beneficial for you. Keep asking Allah for help and do not refrain from it. (If you are afflicted in any way), do not say: ‘If I had taken this or that step, it would have resulted into such and such,’ but say only: ‘Allah so determined and did as He willed.’ The word ‘if’ opens the gates of satanic (thoughts)” (Muslim).

In line with this hadith comes the Prophet’s advice to his cousin Ibn `Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) to know that with patience comes victory, with distress comes relief, and with hardship comes ease.

In this respect, one idea may be a source of worry and disturbance. How can we approach afflictions with such optimism when they are clear signs of Allah’s wrath and manifestations of His punishment? Has not Allah said, [Whatever misfortune happens to you, is because of the things your hands have wrought, and for many (of them) He grants forgiveness] (Ash-Shura 42:30)? Actually, this question haunts many people, especially the practicing ones when they are afflicted with a calamity, deprived of a cherished person, or plagued with an illness. The problem is that in many cases this thought becomes a source of frustration and depression. Instead of being an incentive to hastening to Allah and drawing closer to him, the idea serves sometimes as a dispiriting factor. So, let’s see how the Companions viewed the above verse and how they took it positively and optimistically.

In his comment on this verse, Imam Al-Qurtubi reports that `Ali (may Allah be pleased with him) said, “This verse is the most hopeful one in the Qur’an; if my sins are to be expiated through afflictions and calamities, and in addition to that, Allah forgives many other sins, then what will remain after such expiation and forgiveness?”

True, life’s disasters leave hearts broken and loved ones deprived, but the bright believer knows how turn them into a source of determination and a fountain of strength. I conclude with the beautiful authentic hadith in which the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) tells us that the people who face the harshest trial (bla’) are the prophets, then those next to them (in faith and devotion), and then the next. Everyone will be tried according to his level of faith; one who has strong faith will undergo a harsh trial and one who is of weak faith will receive a weak trial. And the affliction will encompass one until he becomes free of sins altogether

http://islamonline.net/English/Hadit...05/04/01.shtml

Subhan'Allah.

:w:
Reply

saidaharther
05-19-2006, 05:41 AM
jazak allah khayr for istihkarah information, i wondering though if i am in urgent situation and i just make the dua, is that enough or should i pray after when i have time?
salam alaikum
Reply

Nafiisah
05-19-2006, 05:54 AM
Allah sees what is in the hearts.So your intention of getting guidance from the Almighty is very important. Maybe you could make the dua(Ya Allah, U r the knower of all things and I know bnot. If this matter is good for my religion, my livelihood, present and future, make it easy for me and make me content with it.....) and then do the Istikharah salaat as soon as possible

Wa salaam 3alaikum
Nafiisah
Reply

saidaharther
05-19-2006, 05:55 AM
jazak allah hayr sister
Reply

SistaHH
06-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Jazakhallah Khair for the article. it was really helpful to me as I was unsure of what exactly the you had to do in prayer. I have printed it out so I can refer to it.
Reply

Umar001
06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Any1 got the audio of someone performing this?

Im an audio type of learner, I want to know that Im pronoucing the words right.
Reply

- Qatada -
06-30-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Any1 got the audio of someone performing this?

Im an audio type of learner, I want to know that Im pronoucing the words right.

Asalamu 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


insha'Allaah this audio might be of some help, i havn't heard it - but it may have what you're looking for insha'Allaah.


Inner Dimensions of Istikharah - Part 01. [Abdul Bary Yahya]

Inner Dimensions of Istikharah - Part 02. [Abdul Bary Yahya]

source: http://www.audioislam.com/?whatsnew


:wasalamex
Reply

Umar001
07-01-2006, 09:03 PM
Bro Fi Sabililah, thanks, the talk is beneficial listenin to it now.

jus wondering if u actually know where i can get someone reciting this.

and with regards to the seven times, I have never read that before, have you read anything on it other than that hadeeth, any scholars say anything.

Can I do it once?

Boy this is scary.
Reply

- Qatada -
07-01-2006, 09:44 PM
:salamext:


I can't find any audio for it yet sorry.. but the following links may clarify matters more insha'Allaah:

Question #11981: Istikhaarah prayer.

Question #2217: How to pray istikhaarah.


:wasalamex
Reply

Annie
07-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Salams brother
jazakallah for the article about istikharah, it is very benficial, i just want to knowif you can perform Istikharah after praying fajar namaz, or are they certain times you can pray it.
:w: :sister:
Reply

Malaikah
07-02-2006, 05:32 AM
:sl:

you can pray it when ever you want, it doesnt have to be at any certain time.

Question :


Assalam alaikum. How do I pray salat al istikhara, at what times , and are there special dua that I can read for different cicumstances?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The description of Salaat al-Istikhaarah was reported by Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah al-Salami (may Allaah be pleased with him) who said:

“The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to teach his companions to make istikhaarah in all things, just as he used to teach them soorahs from the Qur’aan. He said: ‘If any one of you is concerned about a decision he has to make, then let him pray two rak’ahs of non-obligatory prayer, then say: Allaahumma inni astakheeruka bi ‘ilmika wa astaqdiruka bi qudratika wa as’aluka min fadlika, fa innaka taqdiru wa laa aqdir, wa ta’lamu wa laa a’lam, wa anta ‘allaam al-ghuyoob. Allaahumma fa in kunta ta’lamu haadha’l-amra (then the matter should be mentioned by name) khayran li fi ‘aajil amri wa aajilihi (or: fi deeni wa ma’aashi wa ‘aaqibati amri) faqdurhu li wa yassirhu li thumma baarik li fihi. Allaahumma wa in kunta ta’lamu annahu sharrun li fi deeni wa ma’aashi wa ‘aaqibati amri (or: fi ‘aajili amri wa aajilihi) fasrifni ‘anhu [wasrafhu ‘anni] waqdur li al-khayr haythu kaana thumma radini bihi (O Allaah, I seek Your guidance [in making a choice] by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allaah, if in Your knowledge, this matter (then it should be mentioned by name) is good for me both in this world and in the Hereafter (or: in my religion, my livelihood and my affairs), then ordain it for me, make it easy for me, and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it.”

(Reported by al-Bukhaari, 6841; similar reports are also recorded by al-Tirmidhi, al-Nisaa’i, Abu Dawood, Ibn Maajah and Ahmad).

Ibn Hijr (may Allaah have mercy on him) said, commenting on this hadeeth:

“Istikhaarah is a word which means asking Allaah to help one make a choice, meaning choosing the best of two things where one needs to choose one of them.

Concerning the phrase ‘The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to teach us to make istikhaarah in all things,’ Ibn Abi Jamrah said: ‘It is a general phrase which refers to something specific. With regard to matters that are waajib (obligatory) or mustahabb (liked or encouraged), there is no need for istikhaarah to decide whether to do them, and with regard to matters that are haraam (forbidden) or makrooh (disliked), there is no need for istikhaarah to decide whether to avoid them. The issue of istikhaarah is confined to matters that are mubaah (allowed), or in mustahabb matters when there is a decision to be made as to which one should be given priority.’ I say: it refers to both great and small matters, and probably an insignificant issue could form the groundwork for a big issue.

The phrase ‘If any one of you is concerned…’ appears in the version narrated by Ibn Mas’ood as: ‘if any one of you wants to do something…’

‘Let him pray two rak’ahs of non-obligatory prayer.’ This is mentioned to make it clear that it does not mean fajr prayer, for example. Al-Nawawi said in al-Adhkaar: He can pray istikaarah after two rak’ahs of regular sunnah prayer done at zuhr for example, or after two rak’ahs of any naafil prayers whether they are regularly performed or not… It seems to be the case that if he made the intention to pray istikhaarah at the same time as intending to pray that particular prayer, this is fine, but not if he did not have this intention.

Ibn Abi Jamrah said: The wisdom behind putting the salaat before the du’aa’ is that istikhaarah is intended to combine the goodness of this world with the goodness of the next. A person needs to knock at the door of the King (Allaah), and there is nothing more effective for this than prayer, because it contains glorification and praise of Allaah, and expresses one's need for Him at all times.

The phrase ‘then let him say’ would seem to imply that the du’aa’ should be said after finishing the prayer, and the word thumma (then) probably means after reciting all the words of the salaat and before saying salaam.

The phrase ‘O Allaah, I seek Your guidance by virtue of Your knowledge’ is explaining ‘because You know best.’ Similarly, ‘by virtue of Your power’ most likely means ‘seeking Your help.’ ‘I seek ability’ (astaqdiruka) means ‘I ask You to give me the power or ability (qudrah) to do’ whatever is being asked for, or it probably means ‘I ask You to decree (tuqaddir) this for me.’ So it may mean making it easy.

‘I ask You of Your great bounty’ refers to the fact that Allaah gives out of His great generosity, but no one has the right to His blessings. This is the opinion of Ahl al-Sunnah.

‘You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not’ refers to the fact that power and knowledge belong to Allaah alone, and the slave has no share of them except what Allaah decrees for him.

‘O Allaah, if in Your knowledge this matter…’ According to one report, he should mention it by name. It is apparent from the context that he should state it, but it is probably sufficient to be thinking of the matter whilst making this du’aa’.

‘Then ordain it for me’ means ‘make it happen for me’ or it may mean ‘make it easy for me.’

‘Then turn it away from me, and turn me away from it’ means ‘so that my heart will no longer feel attached to it after it has been turned away.’

‘Make me pleased with it’ means ‘make me content with it, so that I will never regret asking for it or be sorry that it happened, because I do not know how it will turn out, even if at the time of asking I am pleased with it.’

The secret is that one’s heart should not be attached to the matter in question, because that will result in a person becoming restless. Being pleased with something means that one’s heart is content with the decree of Allaah.

(Summarized from the commentary of al-Haafiz Ibn Hijr (may Allaah have mercy on him) on the hadeeth in Saheeh al-Bukhaari, Kitaab al-Da’waat and Kitaab al-Tawheed.).



Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com
Reply

Annie
07-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Salams
jazakallh for sharing your knowledge about istikhara, it is very beneficial
wasalm Annie
Reply

muslim_friend
07-06-2006, 02:58 AM
My mom and dad pray isthikara everyday.. we all prayed it, before we had to choose my college.. :brother:
Reply

Umar001
07-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by muslim_friend
My mom and dad pray isthikara everyday.. we all prayed it, before we had to choose my college.. :brother:

Mashallah your parents sound cool!
Reply

H4RUN
07-10-2006, 05:27 PM
aslamualaikum wa'rakhmatulla wa'barakatahu dearest brothers and sisters,
right, well i have read 2 different articles, well different in their own rights. the first states that you should read after Isha, and other at any time. For the 'after isha' is that obligatory or just if you want to, or it would help matters? Inshallah someone can clarify this in simple terms, as you can get many sources which state slight variations, so i was wodering this 'after isha' is this just down to personal choice?
ma'salama
may Allah swt shower you all with his blessings, ameen
:w:
Reply

learningislam
07-11-2006, 04:29 AM
:salamext:

Originally Posted by IsaAbdullah
Any1 got the audio of someone performing this?

Im an audio type of learner, I want to know that Im pronoucing the words right.
http://www.haqaonline.com/multimedia/audio/Lectures/

just click on the link above, and you can have the audio of dua-e- istikhara.....

hope that helps inshaAllah

:wasalamex
Reply

Malaikah
07-31-2006, 08:48 AM
:sl:

its ok if we read the dua in english rather than arabic right? :?
Reply

asiya45
08-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by cheese
:sl:

its ok if we read the dua in english rather than arabic right? :?
:sl:
I was goin to ask the same question :sister:

I have performed Istikharah before it is the most closest way to get help from Allah.
Reply

H4RUN
08-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by H4RUN
aslamualaikum wa'rakhmatulla wa'barakatahu dearest brothers and sisters,
right, well i have read 2 different articles, well different in their own rights. the first states that you should read after Isha, and other at any time. For the 'after isha' is that obligatory or just if you want to, or it would help matters? Inshallah someone can clarify this in simple terms, as you can get many sources which state slight variations, so i was wodering this 'after isha' is this just down to personal choice?
ma'salama
may Allah swt shower you all with his blessings, ameen
:w:
:sl:

Anyone? Someone to shed some light of here would be of great help...
:w:
Reply

asiya45
08-07-2006, 08:06 PM
:sl: Brother,
I usually pray after Isha prayers because i was told you arnt suppose to talk to anyone after you perform Istikharah.
:sl:
Reply

amirah_87
08-10-2006, 04:31 PM
As salaamu alaykum,

^^ I doubt that sis!! Allaahu a3lam .....d'you have a source for that!!??
Reply

H4RUN
08-10-2006, 04:32 PM
:sl:
jazkallah khair ukhti, erm any backing for that? Even though i most probably will perform after Isha, InshAllah....
Fi Amanillah
:w:
Reply

asiya45
08-10-2006, 06:55 PM
:sl:
ill look into for a source...i was told not to talk by my parents umm... i will find out and let you know as soon as possible
:w:
Reply

badrulhisyam
10-11-2006, 01:42 AM
the details are very crystal clear. i'll try to doit tonight.
Reply

Umu 'Isa
10-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by cheese
:sl:

its ok if we read the dua in english rather than arabic right? :?
I'd like to know the same thing?
Reply

Kittygyal
10-15-2006, 04:56 PM
salam.
Mashallah shukran Akhi for the information required really appreciated
w.salam
Reply

'Abd al-Baari
01-23-2007, 07:38 PM
jazakllah for the istikharah article
very helpful
Reply

nelly
02-22-2007, 09:46 AM
wot if u performed istikhara prayer and got a postivite reaction 2 gettin married and the marriage doesnt work out, then wot?
Reply

H4RUN
02-24-2007, 11:02 PM
:sl:
Yes im no expert, but i know istikhara is basically 'guidance'...for example i carried out my istikhara for the reasons stated before..and i truely believe i got a postive reaction, even a green light in my dream tto go to a certain college...

So off i go, with no worries, everything was as well as can be...on the 'last step' to actually making me an official college pupil something went wrong, teribly wrong...hence i just could not go there and waste an extra year there...

So what do i do? After some help from a few brothers, i came to conclusion that i should go to the 'other' college, against my istikhara...but i kinda understood that istikhara was to guide you..so in some funny way i may have been guided away from my 'istikhara positive' decision to the other place...

Therefore in that sense i believe that you may also have been guided away from your situation in some weird and mysterious way...the marriage may not have been right for you, as my college decision may not have been right for me...Allahu Alim

That's my 2 pence worth :)
masalama
FiamanAllah
:w:
Reply

- Qatada -
02-24-2007, 11:06 PM
:salamext:


^^ thing is bro, with the istikharah - Allaah makes a situation for you so that thing doesn't occur, why? Because you asked Allaah for the guidance.


Like for example if you wanted to get married and you did istikharah, then if marriage for that person wasn't good for you - Allaah would make a situation that you don't get married to that person. Allaah knows best.
Reply

Natural
03-16-2007, 02:19 AM
A good friend just asked me about this prayer today. There is also another link you may want to check out. http://islam.about.com/blistikhara.htm
Reply

shamim786
03-26-2007, 04:37 PM
THANKYOU VERY MUCH Fi_Sabilillah, INSHALLAH I WILL START THE ISTIKHARA TODAY.

INSHALLAH I AM GETTING MARRIED IN DECEMBER, PLZ PRAY THAT EVERYTHING IS OK

JAZAKALAH
Reply

.: Jannati :.
06-11-2007, 06:52 PM
what if one is confused in what they are doing Istikharah for???

Jazaak Allahu Khayran

WaSsalaamuAlaykum ...
Reply

irfan alam
06-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Brothers and sisters in da house check out this website for more of s'ad al ghamdees recitations with English translation. www.qurannow.com.
Reply

.: Jannati :.
06-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by MuhSiNaH
what if one is confused in what they are doing Istikharah for???

Jazaak Allahu Khayran

WaSsalaamuAlaykum ...
anyone? Jazaak Allahu Khayran

WaSsalaamuAlaykum ...
Reply

.:Mustapha:.
06-19-2007, 02:02 AM
Thank you very much for this brother. Jazak'Allah Khair Insha'Allah. :D
Reply

3isha
06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
jazakallah khair for the wonderful thread,
May Allah bless u,

BUT, i do'tn understand when exactly in salah we pray the dua'a:?
Reply

*noor
06-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by 3isha
jazakallah khair for the wonderful thread,
May Allah bless u,.


BUT, i do'tn understand when exactly in salah we pray the dua'a:?
:sl:

You pray two rak'at and then you recite the duaa.

Allah knows best.
Reply

3isha
06-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by *noor
:sl:

You pray two rak'at and then you recite the duaa.

Allah knows best.
yes, i knw that,
but is it after salah or during it?
Reply

- Qatada -
06-23-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by 3isha
yes, i knw that,
but is it after salah or during it?

:salamext:


I think there is a difference of opinion, either it can be prayed within Salaah, maybe after the tashahud? Or it can even be recited outside of salaah, in a dua form. And Allaah knows best.
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
07-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Originally Posted by - Qatada -

Asalaamu 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.


What is Istikharah?


Many times you be stuck in some sort of situation and you hear brothers and sisters shouting out 'do istikharah!' You've never heard of that word before, or you've heard of it but you've never known how to perform it?

You have questions in your head but you might feel too embarassed to ask, or you may not have the right person to ask.


You think to yourself; -

What is istikharah? What is the proper method of performing it? Is it true that for Istikharah to be valid, one must experience some kind of a dream indicating the proper course of action to follow?


Insha Allaah (God willing) you will learn abit more about istikharah and how to perform it. By the end of reading this article, if you still need a deeper understanding - then please dont be afraid to ask or voice your opinion. Learning is an important factor in islam so please dont be afraid to ask. Jazak Allaah khayr.



Istikharah Prayer


Istikharah prayer is a two-rak`ah non-obligatory Prayer by which one seeks Allah's guidance when he is confused or can't choose between permissible alternatives. In this case, the Muslim should pray to Allah the Almighty to guide him to whatever He sees fit for him and make his heart satisfied with the decision.


In the Prayer, one asks Allah to facilitate the matter if it is good and turn it away if it is not. Thus, after praying Istikharah, one should decide on a course of action, and trust that if the matter does not work out, it is because it was not good for him. One should not then feel disappointed if things did not go as hoped.


Istikharah is only prescribed for matters deemed permissible by the Shari`ah and not for any issue that plainly opposes Allah subhanahu wa ta'aala's Laws. It is when you have two permissible options and you do not know which is better for you that you should resort to Allah the Almighty to seek His guidance.



Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:


“Istikharah means, "seeking the best course of action." In Islam, it is used for approaching Allah through Prayer for guidance in a case when one cannot make up his mind. It should, however, be pointed out, that Istikharah applies strictly to cases that are halal (lawful or permissible), since there cannot be a question of choice concerning matters that are considered haram (unlawful or impermissible).




When faced with important decisions in life, a believer is persuaded to use all of his Allah-given resources, as well as to consult people who are known for their knowledge, piety and sound opinion. After having done so, he can turn to Allah for guidance.


Humans are limited in knowledge, and Allah alone possesses perfect knowledge. Allah has told us that He alone possesses the keys to all that is good. He has also promised to help us if we turn to Him earnestly and sincerely.


We see around us people doing all sorts of things for confirmation when faced with important decisions in their life. The Pre-Islamic Arabs resorted to the practice of divining with arrows or the stirring of birds. In modern times, even some of the most prominent people consult astrologers, psychics, gurus or so called spiritual masters. Islam teaches that since Allah alone knows the unseen realities, and He alone is aware of what is good for us in an absolute sense, we must seek His help.



Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be on him) taught us how to do so. He told us that if we are faced with decisions in life and are unable to make up our mind, we must approach Allah through Prayer. This Prayer is called Prayer of Istikharah. It is a Sunnah or a highly recommended act. The specific method of doing it, is as follows:

First, one must offer a Prayer of two rak`ahs with the intention of seeking guidance from Allah. Then he should offer the following supplication:


"Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi`ilmika, wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, wa as'aluka min fadlika al-azim, fa'innaka taqdiru wala aqdiru, wa ta`lamu wa la a`lamu, wa anta `allamu-l-ghuyub.

Allahumma, in kunta ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra [here mention your case] khairun li fi dini wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or 'ajili amri wa`ajilihi) faqdurhu li wa yas-sirhu li thumma barik li fihi.

Wa in ta`lamu anna hadhal-amra sharrun li fi deeni wa ma`ashi wa `aqibati 'amri (or `ajili amri wa ajilihi) fasrifhu `anni was-rifni `anhu, waqdur liya al-khaira haithu kana thumma 'ardini bihi.”


(O Allah, I seek Your help in finding out the best course of action (in this matter) by invoking Your knowledge; I ask You to empower me, and I beseech Your favor. You alone have the absolute power, while I have no power. You alone know it all, while I do not. You are the One Who knows the hidden mysteries. O Allah, if You know this thing (I am embarking on) [here mention your case] is good for me in my religion, worldly life, and my ultimate destiny, then facilitate it for me, and then bless me in my action. If, on the other hand, You know this thing is detrimental for me in my religion, worldly life, and ultimate destiny, turn it away from me, and turn me away from it, and decree what is good for me, wherever it may be, and make me content with it.)
After having done so, he should follow the decision that he is strongly inclined to. If he feels no such inclination, then he should choose one of the options; he can rest assured that Allah will guide his steps. It has been reported that the Prophet, peace be upon him, said, "One who asks Allah for guidance in choosing the best course of action will never be a loser."



It is not at all necessary for a person to have visions or dreams following Istikharah. However, if a person does experience a vision or dream, and he feels strongly about it, he should follow it.” (Source: www.islam.ca)




Imam An-Nawawi (may Allah bless his soul) adds:


“After making Istikharah, a person must do what he or she is wholeheartedly inclined to do and feels good about doing and should not insist on doing what he had desired to do before making the Istikharah. And if his or her feelings change, he or she should leave what he or she had intended to do, for otherwise he or she is not leaving the choice to Allah, and would not be honest in seeking help from Allah's power and knowledge. Sincerity in seeking Allah's choice means that one should completely abandon what one desired oneself.”


Also, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former head of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) and member of the Fiqh Council of North America, states:

“Doing Istikharah does not mean that one should not use one's reason or experience. Allah the Exalted has commanded us in the Qur'an that we should use our intellect and seek knowledge. If we do not know something, we should ask those who know. But human reason has limitations. We do not know everything; only Allah does know all things. When we are faced with a dilemma then we should turn to Allah to seek His guidance.




After offering Istikharah, you may do whatever is best in your understanding or whatever convinces you. You may repeat the du`a' of Istikharah several times if you are still hesitant. It is not necessary to dream about anything and you do not have to wait for an answer in your dreams. It is reported in a Hadith that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: "O Anas, when you intend to do some important things, then seek the good (seek Istikharah) from your Lord seven times and then do that to which your heart (or mind) is inclined, because the good is in it."




Most of the hadiths on this subject do not talk about any dream. However, the famous Hanafi jurist Ibn `Abdeen has suggested in his Hashiyah that one should make the Istikharah Prayer before sleeping, and should sleep after having performed Wudu'. The face should be towards Makkah. If one sees something white or green in one's dream, then the answer is yes, but if one sees something dark or red then the answer is no.



Other jurists of Shafi`i, Maliki, Hanbali and Ja`fari schools say that one should do that which is most convincing. According to Imam Malik, other people can also perform Istikharah on behalf of someone.



There is nothing strange about dreams. If you did not see any dreams, then it does not mean that dreams do not occur. After the Istikharah Prayer, some people may see a dream and some may not. We know that some of our dreams become true. Some time we see something in a dream and it happens exactly the same way later. As there are good dreams and bad dreams, so there are also true and false dreams. The interpretation of dreams is a special knowledge that some people have. In the Qur'an many dreams are mentioned. Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) saw in his dream that he was sacrificing his son. Prophet Yusuf (peace be upon him) had dreams and Allah also gave him the knowledge of interpreting dreams. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) also sometimes interpreted the dreams of his Companions.”



Allah Almighty knows best.


Source.


Other Questions.


Salatul Istikharah: Any Sign of Response?


Istikharah Prayer: Rules & Signs of Response




more info:

Question #11981: Istikhaarah prayer.

Question #2217: How to pray istikhaarah.




Audio Lecture on Istikhaarah:

Inner Dimensions of Istikharah - Part 01. [Abdul Bary Yahya]

Inner Dimensions of Istikharah - Part 02. [Abdul Bary Yahya]

source: http://www.audioislam.com/?whatsnew



To download:

Right Click - Save Link As/Save Target As
:sl: I think the part bolded in grey should be edited, see the following:
Question:
I need your advise on the following, please. What happens if two people who are planning to get married both read their Istikharaah namaaz and only the woman gets the message and not the man. This sister saw herself and her future husband as being happy and together and she feels that ALLAH is telling her that they are right for each other. But what if the man doesn't get any sign/feeling/dream whatsoever. What do they do then? And for how many days does one have to read this namaaz. Some people say for 3 days others say for 7.
Jazak Allah

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The daleel (evidence) for Salaat al-Istikhaarah and the du’aa’ to be recited is the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1109) and others from Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with them both). For the commentary on this hadeeth and more details, please see question #2217 and 410.

With regard to what some people say, “then he should go ahead with whatever he feels happy with”, a hadeeth to this effect was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – narrated by Ibn al-Sunni – according to which he said, “If you are concerned about a matter, then make istikhaarah seven times, praying to your Lord, then see what you feel most drawn towards, and the good will be in that.”

Al-Nawawi said: its isnaad is ghareeb, and it includes narrators whom I do not know. (al-Adhkaar, p. 132).

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: if this were proven, it could be taken as evidence, but its isnaad is very weak (waahin jiddan). (al-Fath, 11/223)

Al-Haafiz al-‘Iraaqi said: it contains a narrator who is known to be da’eef jiddan (very weak), namely Ibraaheem ibn al-Baraa’.. Therefore the hadeeth is da’eef jiddan. (al-Futoohaat al-Rabbaaniyyah, 3/357)


The correct view is that when Allaah makes something easy for you – after having decreed it and accepted your du’aa’ – this is a sign that it is good to go ahead and do it. The existence of obstacles and difficulties is an indication that Allaah is pushing His slave away from doing it. This meaning will be very clear when one ponders the meaning of the hadeeth of Jaabir concerning al-istikhaarah, where the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“… O Allaah, if You know this affair – [and here he should mention it] – is good for me in relation to my religion, my life, and end, then decree and facilitate it for me, and bless me with it, and if You know this affair to be ill for me towards my religion, my life, and end, then remove it from me and remove me from it, and decree for me what is good wherever it be and make me satisfied with such.”

Ibn ‘Allaan – after transmitting the scholarly view that the hadeeth of Anas is da’eef (weak) – said: Therefore it was said: that after (doing istikhaarah) he should do what he wants (i.e., even if he does not feel that sense of being happy), because whatever happens after doing istikhaarah is good…

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: Al-Haafiz Zayn al-Deen al-‘Iraaqi said (concerning doing something after praying istikhaarah): Whatever he does, there will be good in it. This is supported by what is said at the end of the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood according to some of its isnaads: ‘Then let him make his decision.’ I (Ibn Hajar) say: I have already discussed above and explained that its narrators (i.e., the narrators who added the phrase ‘Then let him make his decision) are da’eef (weak). But this is still stronger than the narrator of that hadeeth (i.e., the hadeeth which says, ‘then see what you feel most drawn towards’). (al-Futoohaat al-Rabaaniyyah, 3/355-357)

Another of the myths that are widespread among people is that after praying istikhaarah you should sleep, and whatever good you see in your dream that makes you happy means that what you want to do is good and will be made easy for you, otherwise it is not good. (This is what the questioner meant by saying “gets the message”). There is no saheeh daleel (evidence) for this as far as we know.

The above does not mean that if you feel happy it is not a sign, but this should not be regarded as the only sign about whether or not the matter is good. People often make istikhaarah about something they like or want to do, so they feel happy about it from the outset.

Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] (may Allaah have mercy on him) said concerning the matter of feeling happy about something: if he makes istakhaarah, then whatever Allaah makes him feel happy about and makes easy for him, this is what Allaah has chosen for him. (Majmoo’ al-Fataawaa, 10/539).

There is a difference between making feeling happy the only sign and making it one of several signs. There is no set time period for salaat al-istikhaarah; it is permissible to repeat it more than once, but there is no limit to how many times. The person may offer the du’aa’ before or after saying the salaam. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
07-21-2007, 06:41 AM
:sl:
i would just like to add this fatwa to the information of istikhara prayers:

He prayed istakhaarah and did not feel anything
Question:
I need your advise on the following, please. What happens if two people who are planning to get married both read their Istikharaah namaaz and only the woman gets the message and not the man. This sister saw herself and her future husband as being happy and together and she feels that ALLAH is telling her that they are right for each other. But what if the man doesn't get any sign/feeling/dream whatsoever. What do they do then? And for how many days does one have to read this namaaz. Some people say for 3 days others say for 7.
Jazak Allah

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.
The daleel (evidence) for Salaat al-Istikhaarah and the du’aa’ to be recited is the report narrated by al-Bukhaari (1109) and others from Jaabir ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with them both). For the commentary on this hadeeth and more details, please see question #2217 and 410.
With regard to what some people say, “then he should go ahead with whatever he feels happy with”, a hadeeth to this effect was narrated from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – narrated by Ibn al-Sunni – according to which he said, “If you are concerned about a matter, then make istikhaarah seven times, praying to your Lord, then see what you feel most drawn towards, and the good will be in that.”
Al-Nawawi said: its isnaad is ghareeb, and it includes narrators whom I do not know. (al-Adhkaar, p. 132).
Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: if this were proven, it could be taken as evidence, but its isnaad is very weak (waahin jiddan). (al-Fath, 11/223)
Al-Haafiz al-‘Iraaqi said: it contains a narrator who is known to be da’eef jiddan (very weak), namely Ibraaheem ibn al-Baraa’.. Therefore the hadeeth is da’eef jiddan. (al-Futoohaat al-Rabbaaniyyah, 3/357)
The correct view is that when Allaah makes something easy for you – after having decreed it and accepted your du’aa’ – this is a sign that it is good to go ahead and do it. The existence of obstacles and difficulties is an indication that Allaah is pushing His slave away from doing it. This meaning will be very clear when one ponders the meaning of the hadeeth of Jaabir concerning al-istikhaarah, where the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:
“… O Allaah, if You know this affair – [and here he should mention it] – is good for me in relation to my religion, my life, and end, then decree and facilitate it for me, and bless me with it, and if You know this affair to be ill for me towards my religion, my life, and end, then remove it from me and remove me from it, and decree for me what is good wherever it be and make me satisfied with such.”
Ibn ‘Allaan – after transmitting the scholarly view that the hadeeth of Anas is da’eef (weak) – said: Therefore it was said: that after (doing istikhaarah) he should do what he wants (i.e., even if he does not feel that sense of being happy), because whatever happens after doing istikhaarah is good…
Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: Al-Haafiz Zayn al-Deen al-‘Iraaqi said (concerning doing something after praying istikhaarah): Whatever he does, there will be good in it. This is supported by what is said at the end of the hadeeth of Ibn Mas’ood according to some of its isnaads: ‘Then let him make his decision.’ I (Ibn Hajar) say: I have already discussed above and explained that its narrators (i.e., the narrators who added the phrase ‘Then let him make his decision) are da’eef (weak). But this is still stronger than the narrator of that hadeeth (i.e., the hadeeth which says, ‘then see what you feel most drawn towards’). (al-Futoohaat al-Rabaaniyyah, 3/355-357)
Another of the myths that are widespread among people is that after praying istikhaarah you should sleep, and whatever good you see in your dream that makes you happy means that what you want to do is good and will be made easy for you, otherwise it is not good. (This is what the questioner meant by saying “gets the message”). There is no saheeh daleel (evidence) for this as far as we know.
The above does not mean that if you feel happy it is not a sign, but this should not be regarded as the only sign about whether or not the matter is good. People often make istikhaarah about something they like or want to do, so they feel happy about it from the outset.
Shaykh al-Islam [Ibn Taymiyah] (may Allaah have mercy on him) said concerning the matter of feeling happy about something: if he makes istakhaarah, then whatever Allaah makes him feel happy about and makes easy for him, this is what Allaah has chosen for him. (Majmoo’ al-Fataawaa, 10/539).
There is a difference between making feeling happy the only sign and making it one of several signs. There is no set time period for salaat al-istikhaarah; it is permissible to repeat it more than once, but there is no limit to how many times. The person may offer the du’aa’ before or after saying the salaam. And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=58...al-Istikhaarah
Reply

3isha
01-12-2008, 07:19 PM
do u need to memorize the dua;a? if ure reciting it after ure salat?:?
Reply

Intisar
01-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by 3isha
do u need to memorize the dua;a? if ure reciting it after ure salat?:?
:sl: Directly after you finish your salat, you then recite the du'a.

Alhamdulilah, I performed istikhara a couple of weeks ago, and surely Allaah is the best of planners. I thought that maybe If I went one way, Allaah Ta'ala would grant me it, but truely he knows more than this his creations do and now I am happy alhamdulilahi rabbil 'alameen. :)
Reply

------
01-12-2008, 07:38 PM
:salamext:

You don't need to memorise it, you can read it from a book or a piece of paper :)
Reply

3isha
01-12-2008, 08:05 PM
^ ^ ^
jazakilllah khair sisters :happy:
Reply

433147
01-18-2008, 07:38 PM
salam brothers and sisters. I am in a difficult situation and would appreciate some advise. I met a man 2.5 years ago, mashallah a very good man who taught me a lot about islam. We fell in love and performed nikah at a mosque (after 2 months) in secrecy, because we were young and were waiting a few years for our parents to officially speak about marriage. We did not want to sin by being in love and being unmarried. We were happily married for 2 yearsand we have both put in great efforts towards islam. However, very recently he went overseas to his parents and after speaking to a pious Alem (may Allah bless him) he informed me that our marriage was invalid. The nikah took place with 2 muslim male witnesses and imam, with proposal & acceptance. I do not dare to question the Alems knowledge, however I am heartbroken and do not understand the reason behind this, may Allah guide me.

Now, my (ex?) husband is performing istikhara to determine whether our marriage would be right. I am terrified, although I have faith that Allah swt will do what's best and guide us, it's killing me that the man I love so deeply and purely may no longer be mine. He has become distant and although he is still caring, he seems to have changed a lot. He is waiting for a dream in istekhara and I have advised that a dream is not neccesary. I don't know what to do, I have no option except to pray and to wait until he has made a decision. I love him with the most purest intentions- most of all this man helped me get closer to Allah. I am terrified and absolutely shattered that in the course of 2months my marriage has fallen apart. I am suffering from severe depression and am terrified of losing him and really hurt by the way he has become so cold in a way. What can I do?
Reply

cimira
05-25-2008, 11:56 AM
ive read the page on the link you provided about istikarah and found it useful, thank u. i know it is not necssary that u hav a dream but i did and i felt so strongly about the two dreams i had and i just need to to know if they are showing me yes to the answer of my question, but i have no one 2 ask about the dreams
Reply

PeaceSeeker
07-20-2008, 05:07 AM
The interpretation of dreams is a special knowledge that some people have.
Is there anyway of aquiring that knowledge?
I see many dreams but i can only undersytand them after they come true.
Reply

AnonymousPoster
09-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by H4RUN
:sl:
Yes im no expert, but i know istikhara is basically 'guidance'...for example i carried out my istikhara for the reasons stated before..and i truely believe i got a postive reaction, even a green light in my dream tto go to a certain college...

So off i go, with no worries, everything was as well as can be...on the 'last step' to actually making me an official college pupil something went wrong, teribly wrong...hence i just could not go there and waste an extra year there...

So what do i do? After some help from a few brothers, i came to conclusion that i should go to the 'other' college, against my istikhara...but i kinda understood that istikhara was to guide you..so in some funny way i may have been guided away from my 'istikhara positive' decision to the other place...

Therefore in that sense i believe that you may also have been guided away from your situation in some weird and mysterious way...the marriage may not have been right for you, as my college decision may not have been right for me...Allahu Alim

That's my 2 pence worth :)
masalama
FiamanAllah
:w:
I have recently done isthikara 7times but kept getting mixed views basically my marriage has not gone well at all from the start till now.. and i wanted to seek guidence to what i should do as i dont think i can continue in it. I asked Allah (swt) if this marriage good for me turn my heart towards it otherwise turnme away from it however i kept getting mixed views when i woke up for salah i kept thinking to my self things that i can do to make it better. Than in the mornings i get different feeling. Some days im fine with my decision than some days i feel scared as the feeling of being alone scares me and society. Plus I also felt what if i get married to some one worse or not get married at all. Or what if i become ill i'll have no one there. sometimes thoughts come in to my head like i got my self into this mess and its too late to fix it so just have to deal with it. Thats when i wake up than i start thinking all this negative thoughts will come into my head. But then again when i think of being with him my world does falls apart tears just automatically roll down and I have this pain in my heart that i feel like I could burst. When I feel like that I dont even feel like getting up or doing anything I cant find the strentgh to do anything even when i try to prey I cant gain my strentgh.

Then I wouldnt think about him and i read up on islam listning to various islamic talks and being praying my salah and making long duas to Allah (swt)and i would feel calm and have this strentgh in me and think to my self if i dont have anyone it wont matter because i will always have Allah (swt). Since than I have been praying more and really focusing on islam which gave me strength to get up in the morning with a hope. But am i feeling good because Allah (swt) is giving me strenth in my decision or am i feeling good because thats the decision i want to take.

What signs am i suppose to take from my negative feelings are they jsut my fears and emotion playing in my head or are they actual signs.

Please please help
thankyou
Reply

cimira
01-21-2009, 06:01 PM
is ther any sort of istikaah prayer or prayer you can do 2 find out if sum1 has put black magic on u?
Reply

Abdul Wahid
02-27-2009, 10:35 PM
JazakALLAH-heir to brother Qatada for explaining what Istikharah prayer is.

Al-Hum-Du-Lillah I've been praying 2 rakaat nafl to ALLAH(SWT) for guidance and thanks regularly but this is the first time I've come across Istikharah prayer. Is it OK to say that it's similar to 2 rakaat nafl.

JazakALLAH-heir again brother Qatada.
Reply

muslim soul
05-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Aslam alaykum wa ramatuallahi wa brakatahu
I would like to ask some advice
my situation is this

i live in a muslim country alone with my children even and my husband he lives in my country in the west , it was some thing we choose to do and try save ourselves and children from the hellfire so I see my husband every 3 months and spend the summer back in my country with my husband , i have been living this way for 2 years now and feel very low and lonely and started to think we should return to the west with my hsuband as he cannot affored to live here with us and needs to work so my children can go to muslim school mashallah , so i decided to seek Allahs guidence and pray my istikharah and seek advice from those around me , some say return to your family some say have subr and seek the reward in making hijrah , so i prayed seeking Allah guidence to return to my country in the west but still after felt so confused as my husband was not happy for me to return due to the invoiroment they would return to and go to none muslim school again , so i prayed again and continue to make dua that i do whats good and better for me long term and short term and my deen and life

i still felt confused shall i go back or not i wont to be with my husband , but the thought of returning to none muslim land is were i get so confused , but jsut recentley i started to feel more content here and almost preparing for next year in my mind and other things here are not as bad as i used to view them and feel very relaxed and not scared to stay like i used to i became so bad i hated every thing here subanallah , but now i feel i no longer care whats around me but content so i wished to ask do you think could be the answer to my istikhara to stay here and put my turst in Allah.
As i really do seek Allah guidence , even though maybe my naffs are for dunya with my husband , but my heart also wonts what is pleasing to Allah and what will help me do whats islamically best for me and my children

advice would be most appriated
jazukallah khir in advance
walaykum aslam your sister in islam
Reply

liya
06-27-2009, 01:44 AM
thnx 4 talking about this topic its very important ... it really helped me in choosing wich department to enroll to.... also wich job to take ....and about a guy that proposed to me ... so masallah its the best really!!
Reply

Yanal
06-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Assalamu alaikum, When one is not clear about the result of the istikhara, the fuqaha mention that it is recommend to repeat it, upto 7 times if necessary (usually done on separate occasions). [cf: Radd al-Muhtar] It is not necessary that you get a dream or even a "feeling." Rather, the istikhara is a prayer that Allah guide you towards that which is best (khayr) for you. If you do the prayer of guidance (istikhara) with the proper manners, the most important of which is to truly consign the matter to Allah and suspend your own inclinations, then Allah will make events unfold in the direction that is the best for your worldly and next-worldly affairs.
Reply

islamlover_girl
07-05-2009, 11:15 PM

Errors are common in the concept of prayer istikhaarah


First: some people believe that prayer will istikhaarah but at the frequency between the two, and this is not true, saying in the hadeeth: ((If you are interested ..)).
He did not say (if reported), and pre-determined order of concern, as the governing classes of intent stating:

Five classes of purpose: (obsession) said P (willingly), P (self-talk) Fastamaa
Followed by (are) P (determination of) the whole, the only recent introduction of it has been signed

. If a Muslim wants to work, he had no choice but to only one they had to do, Felictakr God to act and then to submit it, if they had been leaving Felictakr Al-Turk, but that it had before it a number of options, it must first consult the following from a trusted of the scholars and the jurisdiction to determine an option and only one of these options, if they do, the hands that istikhaarah.

Second: Some people believe that istikhaarah will not, except in certain matters, such as travel and so on, or in the larger issue is great, and this belief is not true, according to the narrator of the hadeeth: ((he teaches istikhaarah in all things ..)).

. He did not say: in some things or big things, and this belief is to make a lot of people in prayer Isahdon in istikhaarah might see small or menial or not significant; and have a significant impact in their lives.
Third: Some people believe that prayer istikhaarah do not have to be two rak'ahs special, and this is not true, saying in the hadeeth: ((Fleurkaa two rak'ahs of non-DUTY ..)).

Vcolh: "It is the duty" includes a common greeting the mosque and the traditions of salaries and years of prayer and ablution forenoon and other types of redundancy, could make this one of redundancy, with the chosen faith, and this is one of the images overlap of worship, when one of the unintended Alebadtin same prayer istikhaarah , Vtdzee by other naafil destination.
IV: Some people believe that it is essential to the chest Anscherah istikhaarah after the act, and this is no evidence, because the fact is istikhaarah delegation to God, even if al-averse to this, and Allah the Almighty says: ((May the Tloa nothing is better for you and hope Tahbua something that is evil and God knows you and you do not know)) (Baqarah: 216) This is the belief that many people in the confusion and hesitation, even after istikhaarah, and perhaps repeated istikhaarah times not only increase confusion and hesitation, especially if it is not cheerful Sadr to act Astkhar, and istikhaarah but proceeded to remove such hesitation and confusion

And uncertainty.
There is a belief that we have a sense of comfort or lack thereof after the prayer istikhaarah This is not true
One feeling is that perhaps one is probably not feeling it gave them any reports of that, but it is true that God is the choice it has is Eetmh.
And Allaah knows best ..



Fifth: Some people believe that it is essential to see the vision of post-istikhaarah Tdelh the right thing to do, and may stop doing business istikhaarah in anticipation of the vision, and this is no evidence to believe it, but due to fear after istikhaarah the commissioner to do the work God is already , the opinion of a viable vision of a right, it is light on the light, otherwise it should not wait for that.

These are some misconceptions about prayer istikhaarah, which may in some cases, some of the associate of science, thereby rooting such concepts in the hearts of the people, and the reason for that tradition of solid, non-management texts should also be legitimate, and I commend this, I blame the fact of all.
It is wanted in this matter further Fleuradja book: (the secret key to success and good fortune, blessings, prosperity), a small booklet, it has more important issues, and evidence of the factual evidence of the importance of this prayer, and understand the secrets and goals, and Allaah knows best.

Sheikh Dr. Mohammed bin Abdul Aziz Missned
source
Reply

MMohammed
09-04-2009, 12:28 PM
JazakAllah Khayr.Thanks alot for Posting it.I Didnt Know that.I just wanted to ask that is there any age limitations for Istikhara?
Reply

- IqRa -
09-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't think so.
Reply

Al Ansari
09-05-2009, 06:24 PM
assalaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatullah,

This is a VERY beneficial thread. I have known about this prayer for some time now, yet it seemed to be so confusing. This is a very important prayer in the life of a Muslim. All of these other tricks from the shaytaan or fortune tellers, horoscopes, tarot cards you name it are all evil.

WAllaahi we have this prayer and it is the most beautiful because it is coming from the Lord of all the Worlds. Allaah, azza wa jall.

I won't lie though, there are times that I hesitate to make this salaah, solely because I am afraid of the answer that I may get and I do not want my nafs to turn away from the guidance of Allaah, azza wa jall.

Jazakumullah Khair for all the post.

Fi amaan ilah

WAllaahu a'lam
Reply

- IqRa -
10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
[QUOTE]WAllaahi we have this prayer and it is the most beautiful because it is coming from the Lord of all the Worlds. Allaah, azza wa jall.[QUOTE]

Indeed...
Reply

umm junaid
10-19-2009, 08:02 PM
jazakallah.
Reply

Humbler_359
11-21-2009, 01:31 PM
:sl: Brothers and Sisters,


“O Allah! I ask You, of Your Knowledge, for guidance and of Your power, for strength; and I ask You of Your excessive generosity. Certainly You are Powerful and I am not, and You are the Knower of the unknown. O Allah! If you know this matter (here the supplicant should substitute for the words, this matter whatever it is specifically that he has in mind for example this journey, or marriage, etc.) to be good for my religion, my worldly life, my life in the next world, my present state of affairs or my future state, then decree it for me and make it easy and bless me in it. And if You know this matter to be detrimental to my religion, my worldly life, my life in the next world, my present state of affairs or my future state then divert it from me and turn me away from it, and decree for me that which is good, wherever it may be. And then make me to be pleased with it.”



Oops it is too big for your eyes !

---------------------------------------------------------

I need Arabic translation that I easily read it out instead English below.

'"O Allah, I ask You to show me what is best, through Your knowledge, and I ask You to empower me, through Your power, and I beg You to grant me Your tremendous favor, for You have power, while I am without power, and You have knowledge, while I am without knowledge, and You are the One who knows all things invisible.


Allahumma inni astakhiru-ka bi-'ilmi-ka wa astaqdiru-ka bi-qudrati-ka wa as'alu-ka min fadli-ka 'l-'azim fa-inna-ka taqdiru wa la aqdiru wa ta'lamu wa la a'lamu wa Anta 'Allamu 'l-ghuyub

O Allah, if You know that this undertaking is in the best interests of my religion, my life in this world, and my life in the Hereafter, and can yield successful results in both the short term and the long term, then make it possible for me and make it easy for me, and then bless me in it.

Allahumma in kunta ta'lamu anna hadha 'l-amra khairun li fi dini wa dunyaya wa akhirati wa 'aqibati amri wa 'ajili-hi wa ajili-h :fa-'qdir-hu li wa yassir-hu li thumma barik li fi-h :

If not, then turn it away from me, and make it easy for me to do well, wherever I may happen to be, and make me content with Your verdict, O Most Merciful of the merciful.'"


wa illa fa-'srif-hu 'an-ni wa yassir liya 'l-khaira haithu kana ma kuntu wa raddi-ni bi-qada'i-ka ya Arhama 'r-rahimin


Arabic translation please ?

Please feel free to add more du'aa.

Thank you!
Reply

tofytisa
12-10-2009, 07:34 PM
jazakallahu khayr for sharing that important information....
does the prophet (SAW) mention about opening qur'an after istikhara prayer and taking the first ayat to be the answer?????????????? somebody pls clarify..it can get really confusing after istikhara prayer and one still cant decide or find an answer
Reply

*charisma*
12-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Assalamu Alaikum


Originally Posted by tofytisa
jazakallahu khayr for sharing that important information....
does the prophet (SAW) mention about opening qur'an after istikhara prayer and taking the first ayat to be the answer?????????????? somebody pls clarify..it can get really confusing after istikhara prayer and one still cant decide or find an answer
From my knowledge, I've never read anything about that being the case, otherwise I think it would've been mentioned in this thread as well.

Istikhara is just about being guided. If you feel good or that some doors have opened about one decision over another, then that may be your answer to continue on that path. If you have some doubts, negative feelings, or find things becoming more difficult about one decision over the other, then that's your answer to choose something else. However, if you are unsure of your answer, then you perform istikhara again. I believe it was sunnah to perform it up to 7 times (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) and if you still don't feel anything at all, then you choose yourself what you feel is best.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
Reply

I<3Bush
12-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Sorry if this has been asked but, how do you initiate the prayer? For the other 5 prayers you say fard al asr or whatever it is you want to pray, but what is it you say when you want to pray this? Thanks
Reply

*charisma*
12-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Originally Posted by I<3Bush
Sorry if this has been asked but, how do you initiate the prayer? For the other 5 prayers you say fard al asr or whatever it is you want to pray, but what is it you say when you want to pray this? Thanks
Actually, let me correct you on that. For any fardh prayers, including sunnah and nafl prayers, you don't say your intentions aloud, you say them with your heart. So to initiate the istikharaa you'd make the intention in your heart to pray istikhara so that allah may guide you between two matters. It is just 2 rakaahs other than the fardh salaah (from my knowledge it can be incorporated into your sunnah salaah, but not your fardh), and then you recite the istikhara du'a at the end.

fi aman allah
w'salam
Reply

I<3Bush
12-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Thank you :statisfie
Reply

anonymous
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
am I allowed to tell someone the results having done the prayer and the results not being that good
Reply

Ummu Sufyaan
01-09-2010, 04:09 AM
^why dont you just tell him/her through their family (since you proposed to them).
Reply

AnonymousPoster
01-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by Umm ul-Shaheed
^why dont you just tell him/her through their family (since you proposed to them).
pardon? proposed to who? I think you got me confused with another anonymous
Reply

'Abdul Rahmaan
02-21-2010, 03:00 AM
JazakAllaahu khairan brother Qatadah. :)
Reply

sabr*
02-21-2010, 03:14 AM
Originally Posted by Humbler_359
:sl: Brothers and Sisters,


“O Allah! I ask You, of Your Knowledge, for guidance and of Your power, for strength; and I ask You of Your excessive generosity. Certainly You are Powerful and I am not, and You are the Knower of the unknown. O Allah! If you know this matter (here the supplicant should substitute for the words, this matter whatever it is specifically that he has in mind for example this journey, or marriage, etc.) to be good for my religion, my worldly life, my life in the next world, my present state of affairs or my future state, then decree it for me and make it easy and bless me in it. And if You know this matter to be detrimental to my religion, my worldly life, my life in the next world, my present state of affairs or my future state then divert it from me and turn me away from it, and decree for me that which is good, wherever it may be. And then make me to be pleased with it.”



Oops it is too big for your eyes !

---------------------------------------------------------

I need Arabic translation that I easily read it out instead English below.

'"O Allah, I ask You to show me what is best, through Your knowledge, and I ask You to empower me, through Your power, and I beg You to grant me Your tremendous favor, for You have power, while I am without power, and You have knowledge, while I am without knowledge, and You are the One who knows all things invisible.


Allahumma inni astakhiru-ka bi-'ilmi-ka wa astaqdiru-ka bi-qudrati-ka wa as'alu-ka min fadli-ka 'l-'azim fa-inna-ka taqdiru wa la aqdiru wa ta'lamu wa la a'lamu wa Anta 'Allamu 'l-ghuyub

O Allah, if You know that this undertaking is in the best interests of my religion, my life in this world, and my life in the Hereafter, and can yield successful results in both the short term and the long term, then make it possible for me and make it easy for me, and then bless me in it.

Allahumma in kunta ta'lamu anna hadha 'l-amra khairun li fi dini wa dunyaya wa akhirati wa 'aqibati amri wa 'ajili-hi wa ajili-h :fa-'qdir-hu li wa yassir-hu li thumma barik li fi-h :

If not, then turn it away from me, and make it easy for me to do well, wherever I may happen to be, and make me content with Your verdict, O Most Merciful of the merciful.'"


wa illa fa-'srif-hu 'an-ni wa yassir liya 'l-khaira haithu kana ma kuntu wa raddi-ni bi-qada'i-ka ya Arhama 'r-rahimin


Arabic translation please ?

Please feel free to add more du'aa.

Thank you!
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Humbler_359 :

Sukhranallah! Alhamdulillah! Allahu Akbar!

Jazakillahu Khair
Reply

M..x
03-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Q 1. When you get to the part where you have to say tha situation, can you just say that in your own language, or must it be said in arabic?
Q 2. Is it possible to perform Istikhara when you have two potential proposals for marriage. I have a friend who is really confused and I need to clarfiy this asap. How woud you go about this aswell? Like when you say this in the dua? Please HELP ASAP!!
Reply

M..x
03-09-2010, 07:38 PM
ANY help?? and can one friend perform it for another? pleaseee i need info aspa
Reply

M..x
03-09-2010, 09:16 PM
.................................................. .........???????????????????????///
Reply

ahmedahmed
07-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by M..x
Q 1. When you get to the part where you have to say tha situation, can you just say that in your own language, or must it be said in arabic?
Q 2. Is it possible to perform Istikhara when you have two potential proposals for marriage. I have a friend who is really confused and I need to clarfiy this asap. How woud you go about this aswell? Like when you say this in the dua? Please HELP ASAP!!
if you dont know how to the say the situation in arabic then it is OK to say it in your language because ALLAH understands everything,subhannalah.

for the two things ,options,proposals,etc.yes,you can do it since allah the all-knowing,the all-hearer and the merciful will guide you to the best of the two situations.

anway,we shouldnt be calling out to allah when we are stressed or in distress,but call to the almighty allah when we are happy,feeling contenment,success and general well-being.remember allah in your happy times and he answers your dua in your distressful times.the best way to remember allah is through the five obligatory prayers and doing zirk in the morning and afternoon and before sleeping,we should recite ayatul kursi,last two verse of surah baqarah etc.

allah knows best.
Reply

aafiak
09-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Thanks alot for sharing the much-needed information I was looking
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

Similar Threads

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!