/* */

PDA

View Full Version : *!* 10 Ways to Boost Your Memory *!*

Khayal
12-07-2005, 03:09 AM
10 Ways to Boost Your Memory

Everyone forgets things from time to time. But for some people, poor memory can be a perennial problem. The brain never actually loses a memory. It records each one like a computer.

However, problems with recall begin when we don't practise retrieving this information and so the memories we had become lost. The brain, like other parts of the body, needs physical and mental exercise, together with particular nutrients, to increase the power of memory. Here are 10 things to remember to do in order never to forget anything ...

1 – Eat Soya

According to Professor Sandra File, head of the psychopharmacology research unit at Guy's Hospital in London, isoflavones, the natural plant oestrogens in soya foods, might act on oestrogen receptors in the human brain, particularly those in the hippocampus, a crucial area for memory.

As a result, new nerve connections form more readily. Medical trials revealed that those fed a high soya diet showed improvements in verbal and non-verbal memory and in mental flexibility, all of which are controlled by the brain's frontal lobes. Soya can be added to the diet through natural products such as soya milk or through a recommended daily 50mg soy isoflavone supplement.

2 - Take memory Minerals

Studies at Kings College, London, and the University of Rochester in New York showed that a reduced iron intake can have a detrimental effect on IQ levels and cognitive function.

This is because of lack of iron causes low haemoglobin levels, which affect the supply of oxygen to the brain. Iron also plays an important role in the transmission of signals in the brain. A deficiency of zinc, found in oysters, red meat and peanuts, can also interfere with memory. Take a supplement of 7 to 9mg daily.

3 – Drink Coffee

Caffeine can improve mental and memory performance because it stimulates many regions of the brain that regulate wakefulness, arousal, mood and concentration.

Researchers at the University of Arizona found that older adults who drank half a pint of coffee just before a memory test saw a large improvement in performance compared to those who drank decaffeinated coffee. However, the benefits might be confined to regular coffee drinkers. Others could suffer side effects such as shakiness, anxiety or impaired concentration.

It's still best to drink no more than six cups of coffee a day – those with heart problems should drink less. Too much brewed or percolated coffee can raise blood cholesterol – instant or filter coffee are better choices.

4 – Mental Exercise

Research has shown that mental stimulation keeps the brain healthy and increases the strength of memory.

As we age, it is normal to have changes in memory, but keeping the mind active does diminish weaknesses. Clinical psychologist Ron Bracey suggests using techniques such as puzzles, crosswords and widening cultural and social interests, all of which create different pathways in the brain.

5 – Physical Exercise

Half-an-hour of activity three times a week is enough to bring about significant increase in brain power; says a study at the Duke University Medical Centre in North Carolina.

Exercise improves the heart’s ability to pump blood more effectively. Memory benefits from improved blood flow to specific regions at the front of the brain whose functions include planning, organization and the ability to juggle different intellectual tasks.

6 – Chew Gum

Japanese researchers found that activity in the hippocampus, an area of the brain important for memory, increases while people chew. Recent research suggests that insulin receptors in the brain may be involved too, as chewing releases insulin because the body is expecting food.

But, says Dr Andre Scholey of the University of Northumbria, the simplest reason could be that chewing increases the heart rate, thus improving the delivery of oxygen to the brain and enhancing its cognitive powers.

7 – Take Ginkgo biloba

Ginkgo is the world’s oldest living tree. It has been used for memory enhancement in Eastern cultures for thousands of years.

Dr George Lewith, complementary health consultant to Boots, says Ginkgo improves blood circulation to the brain by dilating blood vessels and increasing its oxygen supply.

Ginkgo also mops up harmful compounds known as free radicals, which are thought to damage brain cells. Advised supplement dose is 120mg a day.

9 – Eat oily fish

Omega 3 fatty acids, found in oily fish, are essential components of brain cell membranes, and their role in cell structure is thought to improve the powers of memory. High concentrations of Omega 3 in the brain and nervous system not only boost learning powers and age-related memory, but also greatly enhance mood.

Omega 3 is a particularly important during foetal development, so pregnant women should have a regular supply. Good sources include fish such as sardines, salmon, herring and mackerel. Sardines are also a rich source of the nutrient choline, which is a key brain chemical associated with memory. Try to eat three portions of oily fish a week or take a supplement of 330mg three times a week.

9 – Rosemary and sage

Essential oil made from rosemary and sage can stimulate the memory, strengthen clarity and awareness and help to relieve mental fatigue. Psychologists at the University of Northumbria tested essential oils from rosemary on memory attention and mood and discovered it made volunteers feel more alter and enhanced their long-term memory by around 15%. Some studies have found that volunteers’ ability to remember lists of words improved by more than 10% if they had taken a capsule of sage oil.

10 – Take vitamin B

B vitamins deliver oxygen to the brain and provide protection against free radicals. They help to sharpen senses and boost memory. Niacin or B3 is particularly good for brain enhancement, while B6 is essential for the manufacture of neurotransmitters, especially mood-enhancing serotonin.

B12 is important for overall health of brain cells. B vitamins are also needed to help the body form acetylcholine, a key brain chemical needed for memory – Daily Mail.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
*charisma*
12-07-2005, 03:22 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

its no wonder so many Asians are smart mashallah....but u wud never catch me tryin any of these things..

Eat Soya
Soya?? what in the world is that?

Drink Coffee
doesnt coffee stunt ur growth and aint caffiene like bad for ppl....u cud be short and smart lol
coffee smells soo gud...but no matter how much sugar u add to that stuff, through my taste buds its always gonna be bitter. bleh

Mental Exercise
is that like erm..games and stuff?

Rosemary and sage
Take vitamin B
now that i can do...

Eat oily fish
now that i cannot do..
somethin bout the word "oily" makes me feel like im gonna break out.

much gud info sis :)

oh i heard that blueberries help you avoid memory loss or somethin like that..

Jazak Allah khair
i might have to take a lot of those into consideration since my mind isn't as gud these days...sometimes i think i got alzheimers or somethin lol..
inshallah stuff like that can help me prepare for tests and quran memorization :)

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

libyanhero
12-07-2005, 03:26 AM
I do everything mentioned there except these theree

Take Ginkgo biloba- I will try that

Rosemary and sage- Whats sage?

Chew gum- well rarely I don't always chew gum

*charisma*
12-07-2005, 03:42 AM
Assalamu alaikum

I do everything mentioned there except these theree
lol

well maybe u can explain to me what the heck soya is then??
oh and erm.. do u have a gud memory? i mean since u tried out most of these things i wud assume u did.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
12-07-2005, 03:50 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by khayaL
The brain never actually loses a memory. It records each one like a computer.
:sl:
sorry but i got to pick one that.. i had to study psychology this year at school and well... that claim isnt actually proven or anything, so its not really known whether we do forget stuff completly, and btw its only some psychologist who think that the brain is like a computer! many many find this appraoch limited

sorry if that was a bit off topic! :)

:w:

hidaayah
12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Alhumdulillah i can remember most things widout eating any of these wierd stuff...*smile*..
what r rosemary, n sage..n soda..n also the bilobba thing..?
and i can't eat chewing gum!!..sumone told me when i was small that it sticks to the stomach..and since then i'm a bit afraid of it...*grin*

mehnaz
12-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Assalamoalaikum...

i dont do any of that stuff excpet for chewing gum...i dunno abt the memory part but chewing gum helps with stress....well atleast it works for me...

fiAmanillah

sapphire
12-07-2005, 06:17 PM
hmmm...interestin....i only chew the gum...none of the others because i doubt i'll like the other things......

~Raindrop~
12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sapphire
hmmm...interestin....i only chew the gum...none of the others because i doubt i'll like the other things......
salaam
same here...
im allergic to fish and some of the others i havent heard of.
i heard almonds are good for the brain :?
wassalaam

Mawaddah
12-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I think it was Imam an-Nawawi? no no no no, it was Imam Az-Zuhri who recommended eating raisins to help keep memory strong :) I would think we can take that from him right? lol..since he was a well known muhaddith masha'allah.

I drink lots of soya since I'm Asian hehehe....and...the oily fish too, and I'm addicted to gum, but I dont really do the others

Charisma soya is the soya bean, many people use it as a substitute for milk. Vegetarians especially. It looks like your regular white bean and you can blend it with water and add sugar to make some yummy milk...tofu and tempe is also a product of soya :)

*charisma*
12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

Charisma soya is the soya bean, many people use it as a substitute for milk. Vegetarians especially. It looks like your regular white bean and you can blend it with water and add sugar to make some yummy milk...tofu and tempe is also a product of soya
ah, i see..i knew it was some kind of bean lol

barak Allah feeki :)
oh and erm..how does fish oil taste like?? i dont like fish i dun know bout the oil though...

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Mawaddah
12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
Wa feeki Baarak Ukhti :)

It doesn't necessarily have to be fish oil itself, there are certain types of fish which contain a lot of oil. However if you want to take the oil itself you can too......but its disgusting..lol...for example the Cod liver oil. It has a strong taste of fish and is just....horrible ..but good for health!! they have them in pill form too though so it's not a problem

Umm Yoosuf
12-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Drink Coffee
:eek:

Really? I am quite suprised by that.

Chew gum
I dod that most of the time. Still my memory doesn't improve.

Interesting post:)

*charisma*
12-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

It doesn't necessarily have to be fish oil itself, there are certain types of fish which contain a lot of oil. However if you want to take the oil itself you can too......but its disgusting..lol...for example the Cod liver oil. It has a strong taste of fish and is just....horrible ..but good for health!! they have them in pill form too though so it's not a problem
i can imagine...
i havent eaten a fish, ever since i almost died choking on a piece of bone ;D
so yea fish dont taste all that gud to me and they can possible kill you if u dont eat them with proper caution. lol.

i might try somethin like those pills, i hope they are flavor free and efficient

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

sapphire
12-08-2005, 02:36 PM
oh yeah cod liver oil....my mum wanted to buy that and she was asking me and my sis if we would drink it...she said it tasted horrible.....now that you say im not sure if i want it......

MetSudaisTwice
12-08-2005, 02:40 PM
salam
jazakallah sis for that article
wasalam

~Raindrop~
12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sapphire
oh yeah cod liver oil....my mum wanted to buy that and she was asking me and my sis if we would drink it...she said it tasted horrible.....now that you say im not sure if i want it......
haha...lucky im allergic to fish :D

sapphire
12-08-2005, 02:58 PM
im allergic to fish aswell...i get rash and spots...but i dont know why my mum asked about the oil and if i would drink it...oh welll.....

Mawaddah
12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
assalamu'alaikum
would the oil itself also cause complications? the pills are really good, tasteless also..lol. they're those gell kinds

Z
12-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Salaam.

Ha, I was told by a Sheikh there's nothing we can really do. Allah will only place such memory in such peolpe. Come on, admit to it.. we like being stupid.

Read some verses in Surah Ta'Ha which if somebody can find and post here, I shall give them a good rep and some dua. (Message me if I forget.)

There's also (what my mum tells us) eat 7 raisins in the morning with honey before anything. And almonds. Boil the almonds first though, to remove the 'buffering' effect that they can cause to the mind after you've had one too many.

Oh by the way, men should be careful about Ginkgo biloba. It's umm for the mind to be a little confused. Makes it think a few other things too.

~Raindrop~
12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
assalamu'alaikum
would the oil itself also cause complications? the pills are really good, tasteless also..lol. they're those gell kinds
yes it would. :coolious:

Mawaddah
12-08-2005, 05:08 PM
Assalamu'alaikum

I think this is the du'a in Surah Taha that you mentioned? " Then High above all be Allah, the True King. And be not in haste (O Muhammad) with the Qur'aan before it's revelation is completed to you and say: "My Lord! Increase me in knowledge {surah Taha verse 114}

Mawaddah
12-08-2005, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
yes it would. :coolious:

Salaam ^ Oh well...at least you're let off it lucky you, my mom makes me take it:enough!: lol...

*charisma*
12-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Assalamu Alaikum

aww sis its only cuz she wuves u lol

i dunno bout this fish stuff and pills, (that just made me imagine a fish squeezed into a gel cap) and this is the stuff i found out about ginko biloba

Scientific Evidence:

• In an assessment meta-analysis of forty clinical studies, it was reported that ginkgo was able to improve the twelve different symptoms comprising "cerebral insufficiency" (difficulties of concentration and memory, being absent-minded, being confused, lack of energy, tiredness, decrease of physical performance, depressive mood, anxiety, dizziness, tinnitus and headache). The authors caution that this evidence was largely based on self-assessment of the subjects involved, and that there is a need for a more objective system of assessment, such as computer based testing, to confirm this promising evidence
  • This prior study lists the three major pharmacologic features of ginkgo as being: dilatation of blood vessels and resulting increase in blood supply; antagonism of platelet aggregating factor, reducing blood clotting and reduction of membrane damage by enhanced blood flow; and reduction in oxygen free radicals.
  • Using the Sternberg memory scanning test, two researchers in the 1980's demonstrated a significant improvement in the memory of young, healthy, female volunteers following a single oral dose of 600mg ginkgo.
  • In a study of eighty-two patients with chronic refractory schizophrenia, the experimental group treated with haloperidol plus extract of ginkgo biloba realized an increase effect of the neuroleptic, especially on positive symptoms, and furthermore demonstrated some evidence of decreased side effects of the haloperidol. The authors posit that this effect may be due to the antioxidant effects of ginkgo.
  • A alleviation of intermittent claudication symptoms (pain free walking distance) was reported after meta-analysis of eight randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trials. Authors emphasize that the effect of the ginkgo was modest, however, and of questionable clinical significance.

source: http://meded.ucsd.edu/isp/2003/thoma....html#evidence

interestin stuff

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Khayal
12-09-2005, 01:51 AM
:sl: :coolsis:

Dear sisters :coolsis: n Brothers:brother: , I posted this thread bcz i found it very useful, and most of the ingredients used here i heard about but haven't seen..:-\
I thought maybe someone might be familiar with them:)
I read all of the replies, jazak ALLAH khairan 4 all of u. :rose:

Uma Rayanah
12-12-2005, 12:22 PM

:) SHUKRAAN... Thanx...

sapphire
12-13-2005, 12:33 PM
i've started taking the cod liver oil tablets and although they are quite fat they are tasteless alhamdulilah.....

libyanhero
12-13-2005, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Assalamu alaikum

lol

well maybe u can explain to me what the heck soya is then??
oh and erm.. do u have a gud memory? i mean since u tried out most of these things i wud assume u did.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam
my memory is not perfect but super I need to work on it before i lose it.

soya is an ingredient in food, i am sure u probably had soya u just dont know what u eat.....lol

libyanhero
12-13-2005, 01:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Z
Come on, admit to it.. we like being stupid.
We like being stupid? I don't know about you bother but I like being supeior

knowledge is superior

TabTabiun
12-16-2005, 09:45 PM
You Can Also use A MISHWAK.

TabTabiun
12-16-2005, 09:46 PM
To Boost Your Memory.

afriend
12-31-2005, 07:41 PM
Well I certainly need it cos I'm becomin a haafiz (inshallah)....

Also I have problems rememberin what rak'aat I'm In sallah also if I've read the same surah in the previous rak'aat..So I need 2 go thru all those things...No matter how painful or disgusting it may be!

Shukran

:peace: :)

hidden_treasure
01-07-2006, 01:57 PM
salams...ive noticed that this is a big problem with the sisters, as a lot of us are not working or studying...(like myself, for eg)...

i really need a miracle...too many cobwebs in my head!

myInspiration
01-15-2006, 05:00 AM
salam guys ...

my grandma of almost 90 years old can still remember phone numbers easily ;D
her memory is just like young people ... only her eyesight got some minor problem

one of her amal is to read Quran as frequent as possible ... and of coz take care of her fardh prayers.

me ??? I dont memorize phone numbers ... just keep all of them in my cell phone :giggling:

suhura
02-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Soya as in soyabean usually consumed as soya milk or drink.

Rosemary is a herb usually used as a dressing in italian dish.

Sage is also a herb.

As a food student I don't think drinking 6 coffees a day is healthy. 2 to 3 cups a day should be sufficient.

Abd AlQader
02-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Assalaamualaykom

Awesome...! But something tells me Im not going to try all those:?

A great memory booster is Pomegranate (Rumman)...oh and Honey

Ibn Jurayj said that Az-Zuhri said, "Eat honey because it is good for the memory" from: "Healing with the medicine of the Prophet (peace be upon him)" page 296 (English version)

oh and here are four matters that sharpen mind power:
-Avoiding unnecessary speech, using Siwak, and sitting with righteous people an with the scholars. (page 354)

and Four matters which strengthen the intellect and the mind:
-When the heart is not busy (or concerned), consuming moderate amounts of food and drink, dieting on good combinations of sweets and nutritious foods and getting rid of the harmful substances in the body. (page 357)

All from: "Healing with the medicine of the Prophet (peace be upon him)"

Nasir_bhai
02-11-2006, 01:45 PM
does this stuff really work?! cool, thinkill try some just before my exams!!

H4RUN
05-23-2006, 06:46 AM
i remember hearing/reading somewhere that the dhikr, the remebrance of Allah is also a way to gain memory......trying to find a hadeeth or any other evidence but can't lol got 2 go and take some exams lol

afriend
08-18-2006, 03:29 AM
This is definately something to keep in mind as I am doing hifz at the moment :)

Shukran ukhti....

Samee
08-20-2006, 09:08 PM
What about almonds? I know we've all been told by our elders to eat them to improve our brain functions :)

mlsh27
08-20-2006, 10:20 PM
1. I am a vegetarian so I won't be eating the fish.
2. Coffee and caffeine are not good for you...and are gross and addictive
3. I can't chew gum because of jaw problems
4. Are there any actual facts or evidence with this????

ummi_zulfaa
08-30-2006, 03:23 AM
i'm now studying as part time student in one of uni in malaysia, and at the age of 27, married and got a baby, i found it is difficult for me to memorize what i've learned in class even i attend classes once a month.

and now i'm taking MEMORAX, a supplement from 21st century labolatories, contains ginko biloba as its major ingredients plus i'm taking vitamin B. hopefully that will help a bit.

Ameeratul Layl
09-19-2006, 07:41 PM

Do you ever walk into a room only to forget what you came into it for? Doing puzzles may help keep your mind sharp - but diet can make a big difference too.

Discover which foods are best for protecting the brain against ageing. Most good brain foods are also good for the heart, because both rely on a steady oxygen supply. Another good reason to stock up!

1. Blueberries

Sweet wild blueberries are bursting with antioxidants, which mop up nasty free radicals. Studies of rats show that a blueberry-rich diet improves memory and motor skills and reverses age-related declines in balance and coordination. Chemicals in blueberries affect the contractile machinery of arteries, and therefore have a good affect on blood pressure. Elevated blood pressure can damage delicate blood vessels in the brain and can lead to strokes.

2. Dark leafy greens

Chemicals called homocysteines are a normal part of protein metabolism, but high levels are linked with cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease (as well as heart disease), which accounts for most cases of dementia in the UK and Ireland.

According to Katherine Tucker, director of the dietary assessment research program at the Human Nutrition Research Center of Ageing: "Homocysteine has a toxic effect on arterial walls, and oxidation corrodes the arterial walls too, which makes them a bad combination." In order to break themselves down, homocysteines require folate and B12 or B6, vitamins found in vegetables like broccoli and curly kale.

3. Salmon, sardines, and herring

Oily fish are full of neuroprotective omega-3 fatty acids. Higher levels of omega-3 in the blood go hand in hand with higher levels of serotonin, a mood-enhancing brain chemical. A study from the Rush Institute for Healthy Ageing in Chicago found that people who eat at least one fish meal a week are significantly less likely to end up with Alzheimer's disease than those who regularly eschew fish.Because a fish diet aids communication between nerve cells, studies have shown its positive effect on learning acquisition and memory performance. Try to include at least two portions of oily fish in your diet each week.

4. Spinach
Spinach research has finally caught up with Mum's advice: spinach turns out to be full of antioxidant power.

James Joseph, chief of the Neurosciences Laboratory of the Human Nutrition Research Center on Ageing, finds spinach beneficial in slowing down cognitive deficits and age-related problems in the central nervous system.

A salad with spinach has more than three times the amount of folate as one with iceberg lettuce.

5. Red wine (or, better still, grape juice)Drinking red wine in moderation increases longevity. But since alcohol slows down the brain's ability to function properly, grape juice may be a smarter beverage choice.

New research from James Joseph shows that grape juice significantly improves short-term memory and motor skills. It's not just the heavy dose of antioxidants. Joseph believes that grape juice increases production of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Grape juice has the highest total antioxidant level of any fruit, vegetable or juice tested.

6. Whole grains and brown rice

One of the best things you can do to improve your intake of nutrients is to switch to brown rice. It's filled with vitamins and magnesium, which seem to be important to cognitive health. Whole grains contain vitamin B6, which aids in reducing homocysteine levels. In this country, many people often don't get enough vitamin B6, because they mostly eat processed foods.

7. Hot cocoa

Warm up with hot cocoa to help your brain as well as your frostbitten fingers. Chang Young Lee, professor of food chemistry at Cornell University, found that the antioxidant content of two tablespoons of pure cocoa powder is "almost two times stronger than red wine, two to three times stronger than green tea and four to five times stronger than that of black tea". The antioxidants in hot cocoa protect brain cells from oxidative stress that can lead to Alzheimer's and other disorders.

8. Nuts, notably almonds and walnuts

Adding to their party-mix appeal, nuts are rich in antioxidants and have been found to lower blood cholesterol levels due to their monounsaturated fat content. A Harvard study showed that women who ate more than 150 grams of nuts per week had a significantly lower risk of heart disease than those who ate 30 grams or less. And they don't contribute to weight gain as much as other kinds of fatty foods. Walnuts are rich in omega-3s.

9. Olive oil

A staple of the heart-healthy Mediterranean plan, olive oil contains the potent antioxidants called polyphenols. Olive oil has been shown to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol levels. The extra-virgin variety is best.

Ubaidah
09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Numbers 1, 2, 3, 6 & 8 make up the majority of my diet...

Snowflake
09-19-2006, 08:08 PM
I think abt changing my diet everyday..but then some junk food always takes my fancy. :-\

Ubaidah
09-19-2006, 08:14 PM
It's tough, no question about it. I love junk food. But after a while, once your body gets used to the changes, junk food doesn't taste good anymore. You can taste all the artificial junk in it.

Snowflake
09-21-2006, 11:02 PM
I agree. I went on the Atkin's diet once and all my cravings for sweets, crisps, and junk food just went out the window. But I'd like to point out that the Atkin's diet isn't merely a short term weight loss plan but a healthy way of eating for life. The later stages of Atkin's actually consists of all the foods in the first article. Simply brilliant!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-21-2006, 11:11 PM
if junk food was good for the brain, I'd be the cleverest man in the world..

anyway Almonds are my favourite but my mom only puts them out for the guests and then I cant seem to find them :D

Ameeratul Layl
09-22-2006, 02:00 PM
salam,

I like almonds..especially the salt coated ones. mmmm. Haven't had them for so long. Apparently, nuts are good to eat whilst studying.
You will see a book in one hand and a chocolate in the other with me.

Wasalam

wasalam

MetSudaisTwice
09-22-2006, 02:01 PM
salam
lol mashallah
wasalam

IceQueen~
09-22-2006, 02:03 PM
he he-nice work sis
add fish and ginkgo biloba :D

Ameeratul Layl
09-22-2006, 02:04 PM
[S]Salam, I am serious. But I honestly advise good food - not junk! Wasalam[/S]

IceQueen~
09-22-2006, 02:07 PM
oh ok-yeah i know ur serious-did i offend you? didn't mean it:(
anyway :p

MetSudaisTwice
09-22-2006, 02:08 PM
salam
i'll stcik to my pizza, chips and burgers
wasalam

IceQueen~
09-22-2006, 02:13 PM
my family has got a mixture of healthfreaks and total opposites! :rollseyes
so you get lots of greens and then top it with rich creamy cheesecakes;D

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-22-2006, 02:49 PM

Everyone forgets things from time to time. But for some people, poor memory can be a perennial problem. The brain never actually loses a memory. It records each one like a computer.

However, problems with recall begin when we don't practise retrieving this information and so the memories we had become lost. The brain, like other parts of the body, needs physical and mental exercise, together with particular nutrients, to increase the power of memory. Here are 10 things to remember to do in order never to forget anything ...

1 – Eat Soya

According to Professor Sandra File, head of the psychopharmacology research unit at Guy's Hospital in London, isoflavones, the natural plant oestrogens in soya foods, might act on oestrogen receptors in the human brain, particularly those in the hippocampus, a crucial area for memory.

As a result, new nerve connections form more readily. Medical trials revealed that those fed a high soya diet showed improvements in verbal and non-verbal memory and in mental flexibility, all of which are controlled by the brain's frontal lobes. Soya can be added to the diet through natural products such as soya milk or through a recommended daily 50mg soy isoflavone supplement.

2 - Take memory Minerals

Studies at Kings College, London, and the University of Rochester in New York showed that a reduced iron intake can have a detrimental effect on IQ levels and cognitive function.

This is because of lack of iron causes low haemoglobin levels, which affect the supply of oxygen to the brain. Iron also plays an important role in the transmission of signals in the brain. A deficiency of zinc, found in oysters, red meat and peanuts, can also interfere with memory. Take a supplement of 7 to 9mg daily.

3 – Drink Coffee

Caffeine can improve mental and memory performance because it stimulates many regions of the brain that regulate wakefulness, arousal, mood and concentration.

Researchers at the University of Arizona found that older adults who drank half a pint of coffee just before a memory test saw a large improvement in performance compared to those who drank decaffeinated coffee. However, the benefits might be confined to regular coffee drinkers. Others could suffer side effects such as shakiness, anxiety or impaired concentration.

It's still best to drink no more than six cups of coffee a day – those with heart problems should drink less. Too much brewed or percolated coffee can raise blood cholesterol – instant or filter coffee are better choices.

4 – Mental Exercise

Research has shown that mental stimulation keeps the brain healthy and increases the strength of memory.

As we age, it is normal to have changes in memory, but keeping the mind active does diminish weaknesses. Clinical psychologist Ron Bracey suggests using techniques such as puzzles, crosswords and widening cultural and social interests, all of which create different pathways in the brain.

5 – Physical Exercise

Half-an-hour of activity three times a week is enough to bring about significant increase in brain power; says a study at the Duke University Medical Centre in North Carolina.

Exercise improves the heart’s ability to pump blood more effectively. Memory benefits from improved blood flow to specific regions at the front of the brain whose functions include planning, organization and the ability to juggle different intellectual tasks.

6 – Chew Gum

Japanese researchers found that activity in the hippocampus, an area of the brain important for memory, increases while people chew. Recent research suggests that insulin receptors in the brain may be involved too, as chewing releases insulin because the body is expecting food.

But, says Dr Andre Scholey of the University of Northumbria, the simplest reason could be that chewing increases the heart rate, thus improving the delivery of oxygen to the brain and enhancing its cognitive powers.

7 – Take Ginkgo biloba

Ginkgo is the world’s oldest living tree. It has been used for memory enhancement in Eastern cultures for thousands of years.

Dr George Lewith, complementary health consultant to Boots, says Ginkgo improves blood circulation to the brain by dilating blood vessels and increasing its oxygen supply.

Ginkgo also mops up harmful compounds known as free radicals, which are thought to damage brain cells. Advised supplement dose is 120mg a day.

9 – Eat oily fish

Omega 3 fatty acids, found in oily fish, are essential components of brain cell membranes, and their role in cell structure is thought to improve the powers of memory. High concentrations of Omega 3 in the brain and nervous system not only boost learning powers and age-related memory, but also greatly enhance mood.

Omega 3 is a particularly important during foetal development, so pregnant women should have a regular supply. Good sources include fish such as sardines, salmon, herring and mackerel. Sardines are also a rich source of the nutrient choline, which is a key brain chemical associated with memory. Try to eat three portions of oily fish a week or take a supplement of 330mg three times a week.

10 – Rosemary and sage

Essential oil made from rosemary and sage can stimulate the memory, strengthen clarity and awareness and help to relieve mental fatigue. Psychologists at the University of Northumbria tested essential oils from rosemary on memory attention and mood and discovered it made volunteers feel more alter and enhanced their long-term memory by around 15%. Some studies have found that volunteers’ ability to remember lists of words improved by more than 10% if they had taken a capsule of sage oil.

11 – Take vitamin B

B vitamins deliver oxygen to the brain and provide protection against free radicals. They help to sharpen senses and boost memory. Niacin or B3 is particularly good for brain enhancement, while B6 is essential for the manufacture of neurotransmitters, especially mood-enhancing serotonin.

B12 is important for overall health of brain cells. B vitamins are also needed to help the body form acetylcholine, a key brain chemical needed for memory – Daily Mail.

IceQueen~
09-22-2006, 02:52 PM
oookay i didn't know brothers are healthfreaks too....

Ameeratul Layl
09-22-2006, 03:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Marya
oookay i didn't know brothers are healthfreaks too....
:rollseyes

1 – Eat Soya = False
2 - Take memory Minerals = True
3 – Drink Coffee = Definately false
4 – Mental Exercise = Definately true
5 – Physical Exercise = Oh yes, true.
6 – Chew Gum = Gum type dependant.
7 – Take Ginkgo biloba = Next option!
8 = SOMEONE missed out this number.
9 – Eat oily fish = Fish yes. Not oily.
9 – Rosemary and sage = Two number 9's. Hmm. Option two for me!
10 – Take vitamin B = True.

As you can tell, some things are true and some aren't. How do I know? I've tried them. Experience!

IceQueen~
09-22-2006, 03:27 PM
actually sis recent studies have found that omega 3, 6 and 9 oils in fish are important for brain development. they did stduies on kids and found their behaviour improved when they took the oils...

Snowflake
09-22-2006, 03:28 PM
^Some of the false's are true! And oily fish means fish that is rich in Omega 3 oils..not a battered Cod! :giggling:

And what suits one person may not suit another, so it isn't necessarily untrue!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-22-2006, 03:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
:rollseyes

1 – Eat Soya = False
2 - Take memory Minerals = True
3 – Drink Coffee = Definately false
4 – Mental Exercise = Definately true
5 – Physical Exercise = Oh yes, true.
6 – Chew Gum = Gum type dependant.
7 – Take Ginkgo biloba = Next option!
8 = SOMEONE missed out this number.
9 – Eat oily fish = Fish yes. Not oily.
9 – Rosemary and sage = Two number 9's. Hmm. Option two for me!
10 – Take vitamin B = True.

As you can tell, some things are true and some aren't. How do I know? I've tried them. Experience!
Yeah, what are you taking at the moment?? :X

IceQueen~
09-22-2006, 03:33 PM
^;D
she's probably just read dif stuff

Snowflake
09-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Crush almonds and boil in milk. Sweeten it with honey for the yummiest bedtime drink ever. In fact it's so tasty my son asks for it for breakfast too!

Tasty and good for ur brain and body!

Ameeratul Layl
09-22-2006, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
Yeah, what are you taking at the moment?? :X
That would be chocolate, smarties to be precise. The smooth waxy layer just does some funny stuff to me. Plus, I am suffering from a cold so the congestion in my nasal area kicks in too.

Has anyone actually tried Ginkgo biloba? It sounds interesting.

Ummah
09-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Asalaamualaikum

i took ginkgo biloba for a month onwards before my exam period and mashAllah it worked really really well. i noticed a significant change in my ability to recall information in comparison to before i took the ginkgo biloba tablets. (anyone who studies law will appreciate the need for a good a memory!)

I also drink hot milk with ground almonds, pistachhio and raisins in it nearly everynight... yummy and i believe that mashAllah it has also improved my attention span and memory.

Ma'salaama

Ameeratul Layl
09-22-2006, 06:06 PM
I study:

Biology, Chemsitry, Physics and maths. Are the tablets good enough for me?

Milk? no please, I dont like milk.

Ummah
09-22-2006, 06:44 PM
are you doing alevels? i did biology and chemistry (plus eng lit, and IT) and i think i would have benefitted loads more if i had taken this stuff.

it basically does what it describes, i doubt it can do any harm to you so nothing to lose really.

oh n.. i luuuuuuuuuuurve milk!!

Ma'salaama

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-22-2006, 07:12 PM
I think Ameeratul is going to take an overdose of Ginkgo Biloba.

Im abit skeptical about all this brain food, you sure it works or is your brain j ust playing tricks with you?

Ameeratul Layl
09-22-2006, 07:16 PM
[S]salam,

The name is: Ameeratul layl. [/S]

[MOUSE]An overdoes? Na, I did that with the smarties. The effects are amazing. Try it![/MOUSE]

[BANANA]I'm a bit skeptical too. I wonder if its all psycological.[/BANANA]

Ummah
09-22-2006, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DaNgErOuS MiNdS
I think Ameeratul is going to take an overdose of Ginkgo Biloba.

Im abit skeptical about all this brain food, you sure it works or is your brain j ust playing tricks with you?
u mean the placebo effect? could well be. but hey it worked for me and thats all i care about

Ameeratul Layl
09-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Salam

Placebo? We are speaking english... Do explain. :)

wasalam

Ummah
09-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Asalaamualaikum

Placebo is traditionally known in the medical field as a sort of pill that has no real medicine in it, sometimes its just sugar. and the patients automatically expect themselves to get well because they think theyve got something to cure what they think is their illness..hence the 'placebo' effect

=)

Ameeratul Layl
09-22-2006, 07:52 PM
salam,

oooo, smarties work wonders. I have run out of them! *sigh*

I'm doing A2 levels.

wasalam

Ummah
09-22-2006, 08:00 PM
^ i take it what i said made sense then? lol

ahh A2, yep i did those too.. theyre painful lol

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
09-22-2006, 08:42 PM
If you do the right revision you wont need any ginko binnko.

Snowflake
09-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Of course food has benefits and healing properties. Allah didn't make it jus to tickle our taste-buds u know. Funny how we believe something concocted in a Lab is of benefit but are sceptical of nature's blessings.

Even funnier is that a lot of drugs are actually derived from natural sources.

Ummah
09-23-2006, 09:18 PM
ah yeah ur right sis. thas why its so important to remember to say mashAllah (by the grace of Allah) when benefitting from anything that we have been given by Allah.
Alot of people trust in and turn to medicine more than in Allah but dont realise that if it wasnt for Allah swt we wouldnt have this medicine, and it wouldnt have an effect without the will of Allah swt....

ma'salaama

جوري
10-14-2006, 05:35 PM
becareful of being fully on Atkin's (ketogenic) diet for life... the secret is a good balance.... A ketogenic diet isn't suitable for everyone, nor is it all that healthy if consumed not in conjunction with other balanced carbs. fruits/veggies....... in the very simplest it will cause acidosis with prolonged use..... people with Type I diabetes would be screwed.... normal folk will start devloping propblems...... your kidneys would be overwhelmed with all those nitrogenous wastes from the break down of amino acids... not to mention the host of problems really affecting every system in your body..........Your body stores Glucose from carbohydrate breakdown.... through Glycolysis, until the body needs it for energy, in which case it resorts to glycogenlysis.... after those stores are depelted it resorts to gluconeogenesis which is a the process of converting noncarbohydrate material to glucose..... after that your body starts breaking down fatty acids..... you might think that is why the diet is a great thing and you'll start to lose weight breaking down all that fat...but it isn't... since all these fatty (acids) can in fact cause acidosis
the brain needs 140 grams of Glucose a day, even in strvation that is its method of energy................ only in prolonged starvation state does it (the brain that is) starts using large amounts of ketone bodies......it isn't the norm nor is it what it is accustomed to... I can't get into all the biochemical processes that take place in the body on their own volition bit by bit..... but any basic biochmistry book can give you a complete pic in details..... the body is very smart and sophisitcated...... Yes God made it that way.... and it is the same reason he created variety .... so pls pls don't give into fad diets..... just have good portion control.... but eat everything in moderation...
very few pts function well on an all ketogenic (atkin's) diet...... and these re folk who have a mal-function in one of the very complex biochemical pathways....
thank you
wasalaam

IbnAbdulHakim
05-03-2007, 04:08 PM

1 – Eat Soya

2 - Take memory Minerals

3 – Drink Coffee

4 – Mental Exercise

5 – Physical Exercise

6 – Chew Gum

7 – Take Ginkgo biloba

9 – Eat oily fish

9 – Rosemary and sage

10 – Take vitamin B

The Star – April 12 2002

'Abd al-Baari
05-03-2007, 06:26 PM

lol i'm always forgetting things :-[
very interesting article
Jazakalalh for sharing

vpb
05-03-2007, 06:51 PM
also raisins are one of the best of nutritions to increase the memory.

BlissfullyJaded
05-03-2007, 07:04 PM

*Threads Merged*

.:Umniyah:.
05-03-2007, 08:20 PM

MashaAllah i do all of these except

7 – Take Ginkgo biloba

Never heard of that before.

MashaAllah good post. Loads of people dont know about any of this stuff MashaAllah for spearding.:thumbs_up

noahs_arc
05-06-2007, 05:18 PM
eat fish and nuts (you know almonds) and go to bed on time. wake up early an eat breakfast you'l be fine!! :statisfie

flower of dusk
05-06-2007, 06:38 PM
lol.. pretty interesting article.. i think there's need for me to show this to a friend of mine :).
oh and.. i think im VERY wierd!...
CHEWING GUM - gives me a headache if i chew more than 10 minutes.
TEA - s'posed to be another form of stimulant, as it has caffiene in it (ryt?).. WELL.. it puts me to sleep!!..lol.
COFFEE - i don't drink that much.. when i do.. it puts me to sleep aswel but then my body reacts lyk 4-5 hours l8a. ..

Najm
02-08-2009, 04:17 PM
AsSalamOAlaikum WaRehmatuAllah WaBarkatuhu

SubhaanAllah!! Amazing thread, just what i was looking for!! * Subscribes*

FiAmaaniAllah

God-is-great
03-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Mashallah
Interesting thread.
I’ve found that gum really works
Coffee? Im not so sure. But im willing to try inshallah
As for Eat Soya, Take memory Minerals, Take Ginkgo biloba, Eat oily fish, and Rosemary and sage… im not even going to bother with them

Musaafirah
03-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Oily fish can include things like mackerel. Which is very edible if cooked right and very good for those who suffer from Vitamin D deficiency (One of the many problems of living in anon-sunny country)

fagp1rpp
05-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Quran, Hadith and Olive Oil
Almighty Allah has described the utility of the olive oil in various verses of the Holy Quran among these verses Surat-ul-Nakhl and Surat-ul-Momineen are included, and declared it as one of the trees of heaven. Even Almighty Allah has sworn of Olive's Tree in Suratut Teen. Likewise the last Prophet of Allah Hazrat Muhammad (S.A..W.) have described the benefits of olive on so many occasions i.e. as it narrated by Abu Ayub Ansari (R.A.) that the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) said: “Eat the olive oil and massage your body with it because it is from a beneficial tree”. Muhammad Ahmed Zahbi has narrated by the reference of Abn Aljauzi without telling the source of Rivaiya that Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) said: “Whoever massaged with olive oil the Satan will not near him”.

Olive Oil and Memory

The olive oil solves the loss of memory of problem in healthy humans. In a research old persons were selected and advised to use the olive oil from which the complaint of deficiency in memory was reduced enough. It has to be found yet that how much the quantity of fat is useful. However it is certain that it has a positive effect.

check this link:-http://zaitoonpakistan.com/benefits.html

fagp1rpp
05-09-2009, 06:33 PM
milk was liked by prophet mohammad s.a.w said that milk drives away forgetfulness it cleans heat from your heart as a finger swipe away sweat fromyour face

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.