/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed..!!

mehnaz
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
Assalamoalaikum brothers and sisters...

ok i've been confused abt this for quite some time now....maybe u all can help me out....its a very simple question...."Do the inlaws or the husband have a right to change the name of the girl after the wedding??"...i mean the surname....i've had people telling me that its allowed...whereas some ppl say that its a christian practice....:confused: :confused: ...are there any hadith regarding this matter??....plzz help...

JazakAllah khair!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
mehnaz
12-07-2005, 03:23 PM
noone????:confused:

~Raindrop~
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
salaam
only if the girl herself wants to change it, otherwise no.
wassalaam

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-07-2005, 06:38 PM
:sl:
I would agree with aisha. It was never the practice of Muslims for the wife to change her name after marriage; this is found in other cultures. Hence, the majority of Islamic scholars suggest that it is not recommended, but if it is desired then it is permissable.

And Allah swt knows best.
:w:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
mehnaz
12-07-2005, 06:41 PM
jazakAllah bro...but wat exactly do u mean by "if it is desired"...umm...u mean to say...if it desired by the girl...or by the husband??...and if the girl doesnt want to..will that be taken as being disobedient??...

Mawaddah
12-07-2005, 06:47 PM
NO, in Islam it is strictly prohibited for a girl to change her last name to follow the names of the husband. To take on the family name for example. Because then it would be as if she is leaving the name her father has given her to take on a different name and this is prohibited. Allah says in the case of the adopted child " Call them by the names of their fathers, that is more just with Allah, But if you do not know their fathers names, then call them your brothers in faith" { Surah Ahzaab verse 5}
The Ulama use this verse as a daleel that it is not allowed for someone to change their name. If it is not allowed even in the case of an adopted child.....then it would be even more forbidden in the case of someone who has been named by her father.

Wallahu a'lam

Nawal89
12-07-2005, 09:26 PM
^Thats what i know about too. I heard that even when a person converts to Islam it's not allowed to change his/her last name.

Mawaddah
12-07-2005, 09:35 PM
^ Yes that's true, but many muslims change their fathers names when they become muslim, my father for example, but alhamdulillah he knows of the ruling now and so changed his name back to his former name...I mean last name of course :)

sapphire
12-07-2005, 09:37 PM
you can change the last name...but on the day of judgement you will be called by your fathers name...so its just that you remember the name....and most people change it to their husbands last name because it creates more love and closeness and also the chilen will have the fathers name....Allah knowes best.....

Mawaddah
12-07-2005, 09:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sapphire
you can change the last name...but on the day of judgement you will be called by your fathers name...so its just that you remember the name....and most people change it to their husbands last name because it creates more love and closeness and also the chilen will have the fathers name....Allah knowes best.....

Assalamu'alaikum

Sis sapphire :) do you have a daleel for the above saying of yours please? because to the best of my knowledge it is forbidden for a person to change the name given to him by his father (last name) or family name for that matter.
You mentioned that Allah will call him by his name on Yaum al-Qiyamah. This does not show that it is allowed for a person to change his fathers name. Rather Rasululllah (peace be upon him) stated this in regards for a muslim parent to name his/her child with a noble name.

And also sister..Barakallahu feeki.....the other thing that you mentioned about the chain having the fathers name. It has nothing to do with the wife changing her name :) because if they have children, they will automatically take on the fathers name whether the mother changes her name or not.

Wallahu a'lam

Ansar Al-'Adl
12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
It is true that on the basis of the verse from Al-Ahzaab, the majority of scholars view it unacceptable to change one's family name (last name). By 'desired' I meant if the woman agrees.

sapphire
12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
it was my knowledge that i have...in Nabi (s) time they didnt have surenames.....they were known as son or daughter of...then their fathers name...so...i dont know...sorry if im wrong...just said what i knew....

Mawaddah
12-07-2005, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl
It is true that on the basis of the verse from Al-Ahzaab, the majority of scholars view it unacceptable to change one's family name (last name). By 'desired' I meant if the woman agrees.

Barakallahu Feek Akhi, but the woman has no place to agree since it is already unallowed in Islam.

Mawaddah
12-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Sis sapphire I see what you're meaning now :) but no, surnames are included in this, actually it's a way in which muslim women are differenciated from non-muslim women. They get to keep their family names and do not have to change it to follow their husbands

sapphire
12-07-2005, 10:01 PM
oh...ok...ill have to research this when i have time.....

*!~Faith~!*
12-07-2005, 10:33 PM
I remember reading that changing ur last name to ur her husbands was an old christian tradition to symbolize..basically that everything of the girl was passed on from her father to her to the husband.

sundus
12-08-2005, 03:46 AM
as salamu alaykum

i hope this helps insha'Allah.....

Why a woman should not take her husband’s surname

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The effects of imitating the west in naming ourselves are many. One of them is the way in which people have got used to omitting the word ‘ibn’ (son of) or ‘ibnatu’ (daughter of) between their own names and the name of their fathers. The reason for this is, firstly, because some families have adopted children and given them their surname, so that the adopted child is called Foolaan Foolan [where ‘Foolaan (=So and so)’ stands for a name] and their real children are called Foolaan ibn Foolaan (So and so the son of So and so). Now in the fourteenth century AH, people have dropped the word ‘ibn’ or ‘ibnatu’ – which is unacceptable according to linguistics, custom and sharee’ah. May Allaah help us.

Another effect is the habit of women taking their husband’s surnames.

Originally, the woman is So and so the Daughter of So and so, not So and so the wife of So and so! Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5].

As it is in this world, so it will also be in the Hereafter, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“On the Day of Resurrection, each betrayer will have a banner raised beside him, and it will be said, this is the betrayer of So and so the son of So and so.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5709, and Muslim, 3265).

Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd (may Allaah preserve him) said: This is one of the beauties of sharee’ah, because calling a person by his father’s name is more appropriate for knowing who is who and telling people apart. The father is the protector and maintainer of the child and his mother both inside and outside the home. This is why the father mixes with people in the marketplaces and takes risks by travelling to earn a halaal living and strive for their sakes. So the child is given the name of the father, not of the mother who is hidden away and who is one of those whom Allaah commanded (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses…” [al-Ahzaab 33:33]

(Tasmiyat al-Mawlood, 30, 31).

On the basis of the above, there is no blood tie between the husband and wife, so how can she take his surname as if she is part of the same lineage? Moreover, she may get divorced, or her husband may die, and she may marry another man. Will she keep changing her surname every time she marries another man? Furthermore, there are rulings attached to her being named after her father, which have to do with inheritance, spending and who is a mahram, etc. Taking her husband’s surname overlooks all that. The husband is named after his own father, and what does she have to do with the lineage of her husband’s father? This goes against common sense and true facts. The husband has nothing that makes him better than his wife so that she should take his surname, whilst he takes his father’s name.

Hence everyone who has gone against this and taken her husband’s name should put matters right. We ask Allaah to put all the affairs of the Muslims right.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid (www.islam-qa.com)

mehnaz
12-08-2005, 05:37 AM
JazakAllah khair !!!!....

Snowflake
12-08-2005, 11:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mehnaz
Assalamoalaikum brothers and sisters...

ok i've been confused abt this for quite some time now....maybe u all can help me out....its a very simple question...."Do the inlaws or the husband have a right to change the name of the girl after the wedding??"...i mean the surname....i've had people telling me that its allowed...whereas some ppl say that its a christian practice....:confused: :confused: ...are there any hadith regarding this matter??....plzz help...

JazakAllah khair!!

Sister, as far as I'm aware it is a girls right to keep her maiden name after marriage.

This text was taken from a website:-
"Islam liberated these women from such cruel prejudice and gave them the dignity of humanity and the pride of being a woman. Islam projected a woman as being parallel to a man and embodied the philosophy of being both equal and different. Fourteen hundred years ago, Islamic women were given the right to run their own businesses, to keep their financial autonomy after marriage and, more importantly, the right to learn-the key to emancipation."

I gather from this that if women have the right to do all the above then they too have the right to keep their maiden names and no one else can force them to change that. I think it's common sense really. if a husband can make no claim to a womans wealth then how can anyone do that to her name? I could be wrong, but I think that makes sense.

Still I'm searching for a direct answer inshaAllah.

MetSudaisTwice
12-08-2005, 11:43 AM
salam
i heard that a girl has a right to keep her surname, although i need to research on this coz i read it somewhere
wasalam

~Raindrop~
12-08-2005, 11:45 AM
salaam
but wat ab those who change their names to go with their childrens??? :?
(eg umm yahya, abu yahya etc) :confused:
wassalaam

Sanobar
12-08-2005, 11:46 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sundus
On the basis of the above, there is no blood tie between the husband and wife, so how can she take his surname as if she is part of the same lineage? Moreover, she may get divorced, or her husband may die, and she may marry another man. Will she keep changing her surname every time she marries another man? Furthermore, there are rulings attached to her being named after her father, which have to do with inheritance, spending and who is a mahram, etc. Taking her husband’s surname overlooks all that. The husband is named after his own father, and what does she have to do with the lineage of her husband’s father? This goes against common sense and true facts. The husband has nothing that makes him better than his wife so that she should take his surname, whilst he takes his father’s name.

Hence everyone who has gone against this and taken her husband’s name should put matters right. We ask Allaah to put all the affairs of the Muslims right.

Islam Q&A
mashAllah bro..! very true !:) :) :) :)

~Raindrop~
12-08-2005, 11:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by metsudaistwice
salam
i heard that a girl has a right to keep her surname, although i need to research on this coz i read it somewhere
wasalam
salaam
thats wat i read. no1 can force her to change if she doesnt want to. havent heard of name-changing being haraam tho. :?
Allahu A'lam
wassalaam

Sanobar
12-08-2005, 11:51 AM
how can some one change their name ?? with what they have lived for soo long ...?? weird...! but then its choice innit? :confused:

MetSudaisTwice
12-08-2005, 11:53 AM
salam
yes mashallah sis sanobar that is true
wasalam

Mawaddah
12-08-2005, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aisha
salaam
but wat ab those who change their names to go with their childrens??? :?
(eg umm yahya, abu yahya etc) :confused:
wassalaam

^ that is not a changing of a name. That is simply called a "kuniah" and it is from Islam that the muslims should take on a kuniah. So......the person still keeps his/her original name, but this one is just an extra :) . Like if you had a son named Abdullah, then most probably you would take your kuniah to be Umm Abdullah....it only means "the mother of Abdullah" it isn't a changing of your name

~Raindrop~
12-08-2005, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
^ that is not a changing of a name. That is simply called a "kuniah" and it is from Islam that the muslims should take on a kuniah. So......the person still keeps his/her original name, but this one is just an extra :) . Like if you had a son named Abdullah, then most probably you would take your kuniah to be Umm Abdullah....it only means "the mother of Abdullah" it isn't a changing of your name
salaam
jazakillah for explaining sis:)
wassalaam

Snowflake
12-08-2005, 12:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sundus
as salamu alaykum

i hope this helps insha'Allah.....

Why a woman should not take her husband’s surname

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

The effects of imitating the west in naming ourselves are many. One of them is the way in which people have got used to omitting the word ‘ibn’ (son of) or ‘ibnatu’ (daughter of) between their own names and the name of their fathers. The reason for this is, firstly, because some families have adopted children and given them their surname, so that the adopted child is called Foolaan Foolan [where ‘Foolaan (=So and so)’ stands for a name] and their real children are called Foolaan ibn Foolaan (So and so the son of So and so). Now in the fourteenth century AH, people have dropped the word ‘ibn’ or ‘ibnatu’ – which is unacceptable according to linguistics, custom and sharee’ah. May Allaah help us.

Another effect is the habit of women taking their husband’s surnames.

Originally, the woman is So and so the Daughter of So and so, not So and so the wife of So and so! Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Call them (adopted sons) by (the names of) their fathers, that is more just with Allaah…” [al-Ahzaab 33:5].

As it is in this world, so it will also be in the Hereafter, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“On the Day of Resurrection, each betrayer will have a banner raised beside him, and it will be said, this is the betrayer of So and so the son of So and so.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 5709, and Muslim, 3265).

Shaykh Bakr Abu Zayd (may Allaah preserve him) said: This is one of the beauties of sharee’ah, because calling a person by his father’s name is more appropriate for knowing who is who and telling people apart. The father is the protector and maintainer of the child and his mother both inside and outside the home. This is why the father mixes with people in the marketplaces and takes risks by travelling to earn a halaal living and strive for their sakes. So the child is given the name of the father, not of the mother who is hidden away and who is one of those whom Allaah commanded (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses…” [al-Ahzaab 33:33]

(Tasmiyat al-Mawlood, 30, 31).

Islam Q&A
Oh mashaAllah sundus sis/bro. Thank you that was a very beneficial post. JazakAllah.

Mawaddah
12-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Assalamu'alaikum

Sis Aisha wa iyyaki ;)

mehnaz
12-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Assalamu'alaikum

Sis Aisha wa iyyaki ;)
ummm..translation plzz??....:-\

Mawaddah
12-08-2005, 12:27 PM
^ lol sorry sis :D

When someone says to you "Jazakallah khair" it means "may Allah bless you with good" so the answer to that is "Wa Iyyak" which means "And for you also" So it's du'a answering to a du'a :)

Wassalam

sapphire
12-08-2005, 02:13 PM
ummm...ok...still confused about name changing.......i know no one who has kept there name....no one attack me on my comments...jazakallah.....i'll do some research....and of course everyone will speak what they have learnt....i always let arguments go because everyone just thinks they are right....i just then research my own and atleast i have the knowledge...if the person wants to believe they are right then up to them...Allah help us all....

Khaldun
12-08-2005, 02:21 PM

Or one can reply BarakAllah Feek.

mehnaz
12-09-2005, 07:02 AM
^ lol sorry sis :D

When someone says to you "Jazakallah khair" it means "may Allah bless you with good" so the answer to that is "Wa Iyyak" which means "And for you also" So it's du'a answering to a du'a :)

Wassalam
:coolsis: ..JazakAllah sis...:coolsis: .....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.