/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Education for women

Umm Safiya
12-10-2005, 02:28 PM
Assalâmu 'alaykum..

Today I was talking to a sister.. She was saying that it is fardh for men and women to have educations and jobs.. I can understand if it's fardh for a man, but for women? Can someone please give me some proofs of wether or not it's fardh for women?
And it something is fardh, then you are sinning if you don't do it right? So is a man sinning if he don't have an education, eventhough he still provides for his family?

Barak Allâhu fiikum..

Ma'salâma..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
12-10-2005, 02:40 PM
wa alykum a Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

i think the sisters talking about islamic education. learning about islam is really important for the muslims and i think she means that gaining knowledge about islam is wajib (compulsary) for the muslim to do that.

it is the mans duty in the house to provide the food, clothing etc. for the family members and being the protector of the household. it is not fardh on the women to do this.

but it is important for the woman and man to gain 'islamic knowledge' which is the most important, this is because gaining knowledge is what builds up iman and strong iman is needed to become a mu'min (a believer.)

wa Allaah u a'lam. (and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)

check this link out for abit more info. insha Allaah.

http://www.jannah.org/sisters/qur_wom.html

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Umm Safiya
12-10-2005, 03:11 PM
:sl:

Barak Allâhu fiik for your reply akhee.. But that wasn't what she meant.. She meant like college education, so you can get a job and a career.. Not islamic education, 'cause ofcourse that's fardh for all of us to learn about our deen..
So.. What about just a "normal" education?

:w:

- Qatada -
12-10-2005, 03:55 PM
wa alykum a Salaam warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

that isn't fardh on both people but its approved of alot in islam so its easier for them to get their income (money coming in.)

its approved of even more for the husband because its fardh on him to provide for the family, therefore its really liked alot insha Allaah.

but gaining the worldly knowledge isn't fardh, for both husband and wife. if it was fardh for everyone - some people might not have been able to afford it and therefore getting sin, but islam is an easy religion;

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him and his beloved family) said, "Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights." (Bukhari).

so because islam is a easy religion, it isn't fardh to gain the knowledge as long as the husband is able to bring in enough money into the household to support the family. however it is still strongly liked if they do gain knowledge because it will make it easier for the family insha Allaah, and us muslims are in need of people who have higher classed jobs such as doctors, engineers etc. to bring help for the muslim ummah insha Allaah.

wa Allaah u a'lam. (and Allaah subhanahu wa ta'aala knows best.)

wa Salaam o 'alykum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muezzin
12-10-2005, 04:47 PM

Good answers from the Mod Squad (TM) as usual :)

I personally think we should all strive to get a good education be we male, female or Minaz.

:p

Umm Safiya
12-10-2005, 05:33 PM

Barak Allâhu fiikum for your replies bro's.. Rep points coming your way!

format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
I personally think we should all strive to get a good education be we male, female or Minaz.

Lol @ Muezzin..

Ameeratul Layl
12-10-2005, 07:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

lol. yes br muezzin I agree. I would like to add, that once we have gained some knowledge....we should also pass it on.Would Allah not want us to do that? Im sure He would!:coolsis: :)
Allah has given BOTH men and women the opportunity to help themselves in this dunya (free will).

By the way brothers and sisters, I have heard that the word 3ilm (knowledge) is mentioned in the Quraan many times. lakin....Allahu 3alam!

Allah ma3akum

Sanobar
12-11-2005, 03:35 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ameeratul Layl
lol. yes br muezzin I agree. I would like to add, that once we have gained some knowledge....we should also pass it on.Would Allah not want us to do that? Im sure He would!:coolsis: :)
Allah has given BOTH men and women the opportunity to help themselves in this dunya (free will).

By the way brothers and sisters, I have heard that the word 3ilm (knowledge) is mentioned in the Quraan many times. lakin....Allahu 3alam!

Allah ma3akum
i agree sis Ameeratul layl .....both men and women shd be given an oppurtunity in this wrld to help them selves and educate themselves!:coolious: :coolious:

and i personally think that a woman shd stand on her feet ....!:peace: :peace: have a good education!:)

ma'salamah

Mawaddah
12-11-2005, 01:42 PM
Assalamu'alaikum....
I read this thread and I had to laugh..lol...here someone is saying that it's fardh for a woman to get an education (non Islamic) and I remember some people saying that it's Haram for a woman to get an education....weird isn't it? :p they even went to the length to say that it is haram for a woman to have an education because, (as they say) it will cause her to go against her husband and disobey him....really, it was ridiculous.
But yes I agree with most everyone who posted here, getting an education is not fardh, but very desirable :) especially if it can be done in a situation where nothing haram is included insha'allah

Z
12-11-2005, 03:08 PM
Salaam.

Education comes in many forms. It really depends what kind of education you are referring to.

sapphire
12-11-2005, 07:58 PM
if its islamic education..i'd say go for it...then the husband and wife know each others rights...and they argue less.......and then again anyone who sets out to seek knowledge is in the path of Allah untill they return home.......and other eduction aswell is important...because islam we need doctoors and people like that...so....its not a faradh or haraam...just persons personal choice..........

(MY OPINION!)

Tasneem
12-11-2005, 09:35 PM
I believe that a woman can get an education but should'nt have a job.
They say in the quran,Men are maintainers and providers for woman not woman are maintainers and providers for the men.

I have a book and it talks about the dangers of woman in the work place

I think that a woman should stay home and care 4 her children but thats just my opinion!!!

Mawaddah
12-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Assalamu'alaikum, we cannot say that a woman 'shouldn't' have a job, if the woman feels like she wants to work, and she has permission from her husband, and the working conditions are totally islamic with no harm for her, then there is no problem in this insha'allah, and the Ulama have all agreed on this. The income of the woman, will be, after all hers only. However if she works to help her husband when she sees him in a difficult situation and uses the money she earns to help her husband, then she is doing a very wonderful deed indeed...and will gain many rewards from it insha'allah. Because everything that a woman gives from her own wealth towards her husband is co nsidered a sadaqah from her to him :). Therefor I really dont think we shouldn't say that woman "shouldn't " work......there are exceptions insha'allah ;)

Wassalam

Tasneem
12-11-2005, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AsilahRana
Assalamu'alaikum, we cannot say that a woman 'shouldn't' have a job, if the woman feels like she wants to work, and she has permission from her husband, and the working conditions are totally islamic with no harm for her, then there is no problem in this insha'allah, and the Ulama have all agreed on this. The income of the woman, will be, after all hers only. However if she works to help her husband when she sees him in a difficult situation and uses the money she earns to help her husband, then she is doing a very wonderful deed indeed...and will gain many rewards from it insha'allah. Because everything that a woman gives from her own wealth towards her husband is co nsidered a sadaqah from her to him :). Therefor I really dont think we shouldn't say that woman "shouldn't " work......there are exceptions insha'allah ;)

Wassalam
Yeah,well its my opinion that a woman should'nt have a job
Its just my understanding
I feel tht a woman should'nt have a job unless she goes to saudi to work and this is jus my opinion:sister: :)
SaLaMz

Imam786
12-11-2005, 10:48 PM
of course everyone deserves an education....i think women and men should both have equal priveliges to education no matter what standard .......

- Qatada -
12-11-2005, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imam786
of course everyone deserves an education....i think women and men should both have equal priveliges to education no matter what standard .......
hey.

this is exactly what islam says, but what we're trying to point out here is that knowledge is not forced upon no-one, but it is strongly liked.

if a woman has a job - she can keep all the money because it is her husbands duty to bring in the income. so even if she is richer than him - she can keep all the money herself whereas it is the husbands duty to provide for the family.

Khaldun
12-11-2005, 11:05 PM

On the issue of Women working:

The woman’s role which befits her and is appropriate for her is for her to stay in her house and take care of the house and look after her husband and children, if Allaah blesses them with children. This is important work that is not insignificant. With regard to working outside the house, this does not suit women’s nature in principle, but if she needs to do that then she may do the kind of job that is most closely suited to her nature, whilst adhering to Allaah’s commands to cover herself, lower her gaze and not mix with men in a haraam way, etc.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

It is well known that for a woman to go out and work in men's fields leads to blameworthy mixing and her being alone with them. This is a very serious matter that leads to bitter consequences. It goes against the texts of Islam that command women to stay in their houses and do the work that suits the nature that Allaah has given them, which keeps them away from mixing with men.

The sound evidence clearly indicates that it is forbidden to mix with non-mahram women and to look at them, and it forbids the means that lead to falling into that which Allaah has forbidden. There is a great deal of clear evidence that definitively shows that the mixing which leads to bad consequences is forbidden. For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance, and perform As‑Salaah (Iqamat‑as‑Salaah), and give Zakaah and obey Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah wishes only to remove Ar‑Rijs (evil deeds and sins) from you, O members of the family (of the Prophet), and to purify you with a thorough purification.

And remember (O you the members of the Prophet’s family, the Graces of your Lord), that which is recited in your houses of the Verses of Allaah and Al‑Hikmah (i.e. Prophet’s Sunnah legal ways, so give your thanks to Allaah and glorify His Praises for this Qur’aan and the Sunnah). Verily, Allaah is Ever Most Courteous, Well‑Acquainted with all things”

[al-Ahzaab 33:33-34]

[Source]

Tasneem
12-12-2005, 12:57 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

The woman’s role which befits her and is appropriate for her is for her to stay in her house and take care of the house and look after her husband and children, if Allaah blesses them with children. This is important work that is not insignificant. With regard to working outside the house, this does not suit women’s nature in principle, but if she needs to do that then she may do the kind of job that is most closely suited to her nature, whilst adhering to Allaah’s commands to cover herself, lower her gaze and not mix with men in a haraam way, etc.

It is well known that for a woman to go out and work in men's fields leads to blameworthy mixing and her being alone with them. This is a very serious matter that leads to bitter consequences. It goes against the texts of Islam that command women to stay in their houses and do the work that suits the nature that Allaah has given them, which keeps them away from mixing with men.

The sound evidence clearly indicates that it is forbidden to mix with non-mahram women and to look at them, and it forbids the means that lead to falling into that which Allaah has forbidden. There is a great deal of clear evidence that definitively shows that the mixing which leads to bad consequences is forbidden. For example, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance, and perform As‑Salaah (Iqamat‑as‑Salaah), and give Zakaah and obey Allaah and His Messenger. Allaah wishes only to remove Ar‑Rijs (evil deeds and sins) from you, O members of the family (of the Prophet), and to purify you with a thorough purification.

And remember (O you the members of the Prophet’s family, the Graces of your Lord), that which is recited in your houses of the Verses of Allaah and Al‑Hikmah (i.e. Prophet’s Sunnah legal ways, so give your thanks to Allaah and glorify His Praises for this Qur’aan and the Sunnah). Verily, Allaah is Ever Most Courteous, Well‑Acquainted with all things”

[Source]

Yes,and i toatally agree with this.
I believe that ONLY if a woman HAS to be out in the work place like if her husband dies or something and even with this she should have a suitable job tht lets her wear her jilbab.
But rarely do woman find a job like that.

SaLaMz

Muezzin
12-12-2005, 03:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sapphire
if its islamic education..i'd say go for it...then the husband and wife know each others rights...and they argue less.......and then again anyone who sets out to seek knowledge is in the path of Allah untill they return home.......and other eduction aswell is important...because islam we need doctoors and people like that...so....its not a faradh or haraam...just persons personal choice..........

(MY OPINION!)
No arguments in a marital relationship? Where's the fun in that? :p

Mawaddah
12-12-2005, 05:52 PM
^ LOL :D a little argument sometimes spice up a marriage isn't it? haha.....but no, everyone wants their marriage as peaceful as possible and arguments usually just turn out for the worse if the couple dont know how to give and take and are too hardheaded :D so I guess no arguments are better

Jihad_spun, Saudi is not the only place where a woman can work under those conditions, I'm in the Bahamas and alhamdulillah I have an office job where I work fully covered, not mix with any men and still do my work as I am supposed to :). But yes I also agree with the conditions. Like I said in my post above, if the environment is Islamic then its' no problem insha'allah.

Nawal89
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
^Thats true. But if the education she's getting will benefit her, then i guess its best to go for it.

TabTabiun
12-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Well We (Sisters) need to also be educated so we can educate our children.
e

Rabiyal
12-16-2005, 10:10 PM
ok I am a new comer...AND WHAT I HAVE SEEN SO FAR...this is a great forum, and has helped me educate and learn alot about QURA'AN, and our prophets(pbut) but I am really sorry to say that now days people have made Islam so complicated, difficult with their Hypocrite thinking and misunderstanding or Manipulating the concepts in Qura'an to suit their needs.
THIS IS THE REASON MALE OR FEMALE need education to learn what's written in Qura'an and understand so they can educate their kids and future generation about our BEAUTIFUL RELIGION. Even our beloved Prophet (pbuh) has said if you have to go far to learn, you should.
MALES NEED education for bringing home the bread...
and FEMALE NEED education FOR THE UPBRINGING OF THE THEIR KIDS. So she can teach what's written Qura'an and understand it herself without depending on her HUSBAND (THE MALE)

Thanks
Sorry for being so harsh...but I hear that alot. That males need to be more educated or females are not allowed or need or suppose to have any education.

Rab-

Umm Safiya
12-16-2005, 10:14 PM

Just to point out here, I wasn't talking about an Islamic education! :)

Anywhoooo.. I was talking to a sister the other day, and she told me about this islamic education you can take over the internet.. If I live in Denmark, as I do, they (the teachers) will send the exams to my mail, and when I have an oral exam, I'll either fly to London, or they'll call me.. It's in London.. You can get educated in hadeeth etc. I don't know much about it.. Can someone tell me about, maybe give me phonenumbers or a website, and the adress, jazak Allâhu khayr..

sapphire
12-16-2005, 10:16 PM
the text of the Quran is safe guarded....the hadith explains to us the laws of teh Quran.....but there is alot of Bid'at...and people enjoy making Masails out of there pockets...such people have been cursed by the prophet (s) and tehy will recieve their due...May Allah save us all form this evil...Ameen...

samina1
12-17-2005, 05:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by TabTabiun
Well We (Sisters) need to also be educated so we can educate our children.
e
:) true.. thts so true... we get educated n we pass it on to our childern in da future inshalah...:sister:

Bittersteel
12-17-2005, 05:26 AM
yes do get educated or we may hear the common allegation "Islam does not allow women to educate themselves".

Muezzin
12-18-2005, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abrar
yes do get educated or we may hear the common allegation "Islam does not allow women to educate themselves".
I agree.

Especially in countries such as Turkey or France where they make it so damn difficult for practicing sisters to go to school. Bloody idiot governments.

TabTabiun
12-23-2005, 08:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Imam786
As-Salaam Walikum- Women do not deserve the same rights as men because Men and women or different.
.MaSalaama.

TabTabiun
12-23-2005, 08:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samina1
:) true.. thts so true... we get educated n we pass it on to our childern in da future inshalah...:sister:
As-Salaam Walikum-Yeah..And it's so sad :confused: .How some women think that were not supposed to be educated.
.MaSalaama.

sapphire
12-23-2005, 08:53 PM
yeah they are different...but they can have rights that are equal.....i mean we do need educated women....say in the hospital there was no women.....then what would happen .........!!!!!!

TabTabiun
12-23-2005, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sapphire
yeah they are different...but they can have rights that are equal.....i mean we do need educated women....say in the hospital there was no women.....then what would happen .........!!!!!!
:sister: As-Salaam Waikum I Didn't mean like that PLEASE Do not Take it that way.
-MaSalaama-:coolsis:

sapphire
12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Hey that wasnt directed to you...i was generally speaking replying to the thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

TabTabiun
12-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Oh...:phew .Al-Hamdiullah Because I would hate to think that you or anyone else think that I think that Women should be Stupid.
_:coolsis: .MaSalaama_:coolsis:

sapphire
12-23-2005, 09:07 PM
LOL!!!!!inshallah no one will.......course not........everyone is entitled to their opinion........

TabTabiun
12-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Inshallah....

Issa
12-31-2005, 02:34 AM
:sl: ,
I am a new muslimah and I am 29. I live in the U.S.A and I am going to school. I am going to school to be a lawyer. I am a single mother and I cannot afford to not work when I get out off school. What about woman who don't have a family to look after them until they are married? and Can I be a lawyer? There isn't alot of jobs here in America that don't have men around... I would like to know what is said about people like me... What should I do? Thanks
:-\ Allah Hafiz, Issa

[Source][/QUOTE]

muslimahsays_hi
01-01-2006, 06:14 AM
I think sisters should gain knowledge so we can teach our youngins' we cant advance as a race if only half of the race is educated!! just my thoughts.

afriend
01-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Well Allah has made Women equal to men(except in some points)...so I don't know why it wouldn't be allowed for women to educate themselves!

That's just my opinion....:peace:

:coolious:

s_123_v
01-01-2006, 02:46 PM
it is compulsory to seek knowledge for every muslim and muslima.

muslimahsays_hi
01-01-2006, 06:43 PM
assalamu alaikum,
thats very true, and Allah swt knows best. education is so important. It can also be used as dawah by way of intelligence. Just another thought!

Ra`eesah
01-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Assalamu'Alaykum

Anas ibn Maalik (Radhiallaahu Anhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, ‘To seek knowledge is compulsory upon every Muslim and Muslimah.’

this is a saheeh hadith

There is your proof, From the authentic ahadith.

sunnah_rox
01-01-2006, 09:06 PM
that so true sis, everyone should seek knowledge as well as learning from other people.

Takumi
01-02-2006, 02:47 AM
We must have women in certain fields.

I find it rather hypocritical that some muslim brothers who would deny education from their daughters.

Look brothers who don't really care and brothers who REALLY believe that women education should be restricted to Quran and hadeeth.

To whom will you send your wife when she's pregnant? To a non muslim women doctor? A brother who is your best friend who happens to be a doctor so that he can "look" at your wife? or to a sister who grew up in spite of the humiliation that she got from scholars who decreed that she's doing haraam because she goes to college and got an education so that she can serve this messed up ummah.

I wonder where the scholars send their wives for delivery..hmm...

muslimahsays_hi
01-02-2006, 06:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Takumi
We must have women in certain fields.

I find it rather hypocritical that some muslim brothers who would deny education from their daughters.

Look brothers who don't really care and brothers who REALLY believe that women education should be restricted to Quran and hadeeth.

To whom will you send your wife when she's pregnant? To a non muslim women doctor? A brother who is your best friend who happens to be a doctor so that he can "look" at your wife? or to a sister who grew up in spite of the humiliation that she got from scholars who decreed that she's doing haraam because she goes to college and got an education so that she can serve this messed up ummah.

I wonder where the scholars send their wives for delivery..hmm...
You got that right bro! This who thing about female education is ridiculous, eventually it will lead to depending on the kuffar for something, or having to interact closer then we would like to the opposite gender. As a female, I would never let anyone refuse me education if that is what I want to do.

dianputri
01-02-2006, 09:09 AM
of course woman need education.
for work, socialize, even between sisters.
to be house wife also need an education.

education doesn't need a gender. It's only need people who really want to study it.

clever woman doesn't mean arrogant woman.

thanks

shudnt_have
01-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Bismillah Hir rahmah nir rahim
As the first verse was revealed, all Muslims are required to obtain knowledge! there should be no question asked, when it comes to education. that will help the Muslimah's family to grow and prosper inshallah. so it is fard to all muslims

wasalam

Rose
01-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Salem,

Im a firm believer that sisters must educate themselves first in the knowledge of Islam and second any other halal education according to their abilities and if they can, engage with their communites when time permits in a halal manner doing what they can to improve themselves and others inchAllah. Being cooped up in the house all day does nothing for a sisters personal developement / experiences which she can pass on to her children and at the same time show them how to cope with the outside world. Yes, men are maintainters and providers but that doesnt mean that a sister has to become a recluse in her own community. There is so much talent wasted because half or our Ummah stays at home - no offence to any mothers out there because I understand that raising children is a job in itself however, not all sisters have children and children do not always need 24 hour care when they begin school. Knowledge is a duty upon every muslim male and female and knowledge is power because without it we really would be lost. Therefore I say (knowledge) use it or lose it!!

Wa Salem Aleykoum

Syed Hussain
01-08-2006, 02:46 PM
ASW
both males and females should be educated otherwise how will the next generation remeber their deen and their way of life or it will be lost. they all are equal to education and everyone needs it otherwise evryone will become dumb and rely on the media for knowledge.
ASW

ma541
01-18-2006, 04:19 PM
i think its a person's own choice whether they want an education or not.
and everyone shud have da right to a free education.
women shud also be allowed to have an education and a chance to gain ilm(knowledge)

A7med
01-19-2006, 06:20 PM
first the thread title........
Does women need education?
:-\

:rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes
i think that shows they do............. lol

only j/k

Muezzin
01-20-2006, 08:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by brown clown
first the thread title........
:-\

:rollseyes :rollseyes :rollseyes
i think that shows they do............. lol

only j/k
No, you're right.

It should be 'Do' in the thread title, not 'does'. :p

Edit: RESULT!

salman128
01-21-2006, 07:40 PM
women and men have equal rights to education

Uma Rayanah
01-21-2006, 09:49 PM

That is one thing 4 sure... mothers are school teach her childern, da mother should be educated inorder to raise a gud educated well behaved children..

iqbal_ibn_adam
01-24-2006, 08:55 PM

the thread is so big by i haven't read it all but, one thing we are forgetting is that when the first verse of Al-Quran was revealed Allah (swt) said IQRA (read). 1. it was addressed to prophet (saw) 2.to rest of the men 3. all the women . 4 to all the jinns etc

if u study this verse i dnt see a point we having this thread called DO WOMEN NEED EDUCATION?
It is very clear that women MUST educate themself for their own good and others. You also have to remember is well that islamic education comes first than the rest.

I can't quite remember the saying but it goes sumfing like: men repesents himself/family but women repesents a nation.

SO IT IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE SHOULD LET OUR WOMENS LEARN ISLAMIC/DUNYA KNOWLEDGE.

james
02-04-2006, 09:15 AM
THAT IS THE FUNNIEST QUESTION I HAVE EVER HEARD.........do woman need education?........ARE YOU SERIOUS?????.......well, according to some MEN the answer is no...but then they are MEN ..and want to keep their woman under control....and make their decisions for them.........LADIES......SISTER'S ......WAKE UP!........use your OWN brains.....God gave the same brains to YOU as he did to US so .....don't be afraid to use them........Men generally dont use their brain's but do what a BOOK or a religious leader (who is only a man)...tells them to do.......

iqbal_ibn_adam
02-04-2006, 12:39 PM
There is no one who can deny a women from education, if there is is one then pls come forward and show me/us your proof?

We have a great example as our mother Aisha (ra) who was very educated, this should be enough for sisters to educate themself

The Ruler
02-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Do women need education?

course dey do. didnt ayesha (ra), the Prophets wife, a famous teacher in jurispudence? (i hope dats da word) :rollseyes but she was.
so there you go.

n also that the hadith:

knowledge is compulsory for EVERY muslim.

:happy: :)

iqbal_ibn_adam
02-04-2006, 07:32 PM
:grumbling Can sum1 tell me what was the point in creating this thread?

If it was a freshy then i can understand;D

sapphire
02-04-2006, 11:34 PM
^^tht wasnt funny!!!!!and im sure the topic just went off topic for what it was created for!!!!!

Nabal12
02-05-2006, 12:41 AM
Well without question we know that all women are considered just as smart and equal to men. So even without this thread, we know this. And I'm sure we all agree that the female race is considered the more intelligent one. (No offense)

Prawned
02-05-2006, 03:33 AM
I for one am glad that the Islamic community is enlightened enough to be able to ask such tough questions as "Do women need education" and also to be able to debate about it. I am learning a lot here.

Muhammad
02-05-2006, 12:04 PM
Greetings and Assalaamu Alaykum,

Well Allah has made Women equal to men(except in some points)...so I don't know why it wouldn't be allowed for women to educate themselves!
Please see the following link: http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...&QR=1105&dgn=4

format_quote Originally Posted by Prawned
I for one am glad that the Islamic community is enlightened enough to be able to ask such tough questions as "Do women need education" and also to be able to debate about it. I am learning a lot here.
I believe the question posed by this thread is one which asks whether it is compulsory for women to have education rather than the benefits it brings.

Islam does not deny women the opportunity to study, but at the same time it lays down guidelines for how to fulfil the role both men and women play in society to the best of their ability.

Peace.

Umm Safiya
02-05-2006, 05:25 PM

:heated: Can sum1 tell me what was the point in creating this thread?

If it was a freshy then i can understand ;D
Hey no need to diss my thread here.. I was asking a serious question..

Barak Allâhu fikum for all your replies..

Well.. To search for knowledge about Islâm, of course that is fardh for everyone.. I knew that.. But, the question was, is it fardh to get an education Like, when I tell some sisters I don't want to work, I wanna be a housewife and I don't wanna go to college or university.. They tell me it's fardh to go to college or university, because an education is fardh..
Why is it fardh if I rather want to stay at home, and gain knowledge about Islâm at home..

No, you're right.

It should be 'Do' in the thread title, not 'does'.

Edit: RESULT!
And I'm really sorry if I'm not good at explaining what I mean and if I made a mistake in the title, but I'm not even english, I don't live in an english speaking country, I don't speak english everyday.. :rant: :okay: :mmokay:

iqbal_ibn_adam
02-05-2006, 06:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ms. Amira

Hey no need to diss my thread here.. I was asking a serious question..

Barak Allâhu fikum for all your replies..

Well.. To search for knowledge about Islâm, of course that is fardh for everyone.. I knew that.. But, the question was, is it fardh to get an education Like, when I tell some sisters I don't want to work, I wanna be a housewife and I don't wanna go to college or university.. They tell me it's fardh to go to college or university, because an education is fardh..
Why is it fardh if I rather want to stay at home, and gain knowledge about Islâm at home..

And I'm really sorry if I'm not good at explaining what I mean and if I made a mistake in the title, but I'm not even english, I don't live in an english speaking country, I don't speak english everyday.. :rant: :okay: :mmokay:

Okay point taken, but u know what i ment when i said what was the point in creating this thread.
coz there are ppl who say women dn't need to be educated which is wrong and you might be aware of it is well.

shorouk
02-06-2006, 12:24 AM
the prophet mohammed sallahu alhee wa salm gave women the right to learn work praticpate in politics and economcs the right to inherit the right to own
the propeht sallahu alhee wa salm said taht it is obligatory for every muslim man and women to obtain education...

imagine the muslim ummah did not have educated ppl where would b
the muslim ummah needs to have educated men and women
so that it may prosper...

regardign wat IF THEY DO NOT OBTAIN an education will taht b rong ?
well if they had teh $ and time and didnt then i think yes they may b asked bt this...

if a man or women could not find time or $ then it is not their fault and ...

muslimahh
02-06-2006, 10:18 PM

im gonna restate what Suhaib Webb says in his "Mothers of the Believers" audio lecture set. Basically if you're incapacitating women, in whatever way, then you are essentially incapacitating (keeping behind) half of the ummah.

The reality is that women are mothers and mothers teach their children, religion, manners and education.

If you have a mother who is uneducated how much of an advantage will her children have? even the male children. Aisha (radhiallahu anha) was the expert not only in fiqh, hadith, etc. but also in medicine, mathematics etc. (quoting again from the mothers of the believers set) so essentially she was also a very well educated woman..

The key, I think, is that this education should not be taking away from her duties at home....the duty of a woman to her children is fard 'ayn (a personaly obligation) whereas the running of a community (i.e. working outside etc) is fard kifaya (community's duty...) so the mother will be asked about her children first, if she neglected them in favour of outside work then it is up to Allah swt to judge her. HOwever this is not to say that once she has taken care of these responsibilities she cannot take up others....know what I mean?

main pt- women need an education, but dont use it to ignore your family obligations :)

so0x0xsweet
02-16-2006, 08:50 PM
its important for women and men to be educated but she was probably talkin about islamic education

aamirsaab
02-16-2006, 08:57 PM
I think the title should be edited. By saying "do women need education" implies that women are a different species to men - those of you who have been in/or still in school will know that they aren't. Unless of course you are a freak, in which case the freakshow is that way --->.

Men and Women are equal. Guys have somethin that woman won't ever have and women have somethin that guys won't ever have. (replace "won't" with "shouldn't" as neccessary :p)

If it was my daughter, hypothetically speaking, I'd be like: "girly, go to school". No problems, she grows up to be even more intelligent than me and wife put together inshallah and she gets far in life. Booyah.

iqbal_ibn_adam
02-17-2006, 07:03 PM
I think the only ppl who object to women being educated are those who have small brain and are very narrow minded.
ppl need to understand is well that if the mother is uneducated and it's most likely this will effect the child in many ways.
Do dua that these ppl open their eys and see the truth.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.