/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Urdu/Arabic schools???

Snowflake
12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
:sl:

I'm so worried about the youngsters in UK. I know the majority of children aren't being taught Urdu. I fear this beautiful language will die out in the west. Another thing that really bothers me is that, (I can only talk for the Pakistani population) when we learn Arabic, it is in parrot-fashion. We can read but not understand, therefore need translations.

I know it's a long shot, but I believe where there's a will, there's a way. So I am looking for brothers and sisters in Birmingham, who are qualified enough, to teach youngsters. I know lots of parents would send their children if there was somewhere to go. At the moment there are only personal tutors available. The majority of people cannot afford the fees. Also in mosques, only arabic is taught, nothing about Islam is taught. I realise education begins from the mothers lap, but many simply do not pay attention to their kid's behavior. Children are becoming increasingly disobedient and fall victim to peer pressure. Instead of parents explaining right from wrong, they just beat the child, which can make things worse. I so want to set up a school, where kids can be offered Urdu & Arabic lessons as well as basic Islam & Islamic etiquette.

Are my dreams too far-fetched? I want to do this for the muslim ummah. Please let me know if you think this is a good idea. I think is it, but it would help if I had some encouragement. So please, say something, even if it's one line. I'll really appreciate it. JazakAllah.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kikkuli
12-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Why learn Urdu? Ok, arabic is worthwhile because it is the sacred language, but what will you get from Urdu? Why not learn German and French? that can help you get a job: and they too are God's languages.

Rabi'ya
12-30-2005, 07:43 PM
:sl: sister Nadia

i think its an excellent idea. As for preserving urdu definitely. Can you imagine how, if, Britons, or Americans were to migrate to say Spain, and all the second or third generation kids only learnt spanish, possibly the parents would be upset that english had died out as is it their natural language.

InshAllah something will be done to preserve urdu and you will be able to teach the kids the meaning of arabic too :)

May Allah help you...ameen

Rabi'ya:rose:

- Qatada -
12-30-2005, 07:48 PM
:wasalamex

masha Allaah i think its a really good idea. you say you want to open some kind of urdu classes - so why not start at home? once you start teaching your child - then invite some other women over who have young children so you can study urdu together with them.

As time progresses - you can start increasing the amount of children that join the classes, with the mothers of the children helping out. This can gradually build up, you can advertise it to the sisters in the masjid, and form a group of people wanting to learn urdu, and the islamic studies into a mini nursery which the children can enjoy and the moms can relax.

I know it may seem unrealistic - but you have to take the first step..

..Lo! Allah changeth not the condition of a folk until they (first) change that which is in their hearts.. (13:11)

:wasalamex

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Andaraawus
12-30-2005, 07:55 PM
As-salamu alaykum ...i think its a good thing that urdu will die out in the west .....because then Islam will be taught in english and the masjids will then free themselves from the grip of this urdu only mentality ...i hyave had more pakistanis encourage me to learn urdu than the language of the Quran ...i even know of a pakistani Scholar who was takfeered becuase he tryed to introduce english itno the school ciriculum .....muslims from the subcontinent call english the devils language and i have heard this with my own ears ....i dont mean to offend but pakistan is not zindabad and neither is any other home land ....so really i cant wait to see the end of this pakistani supremacy that is happening in the masjids where if you dont agree with their ways or practices ...then they call you a wahabie ... bye bye pakistan .....and hello to Islam in england .....for to long Muslims have been bringing pakistan to the u.k and leaving Islam at home...its just the time is changing ......and to speak urdu would only help in the decease of asabiyyah ....whats the point of speaking urdu to a brittish speaking people ??? wasalams

Snowflake
01-01-2006, 03:00 PM
JazakAllah for your words of encouragement Rabi'ya sis and Fi_Sabilillah bro your advice was really good mashaAllah. I can read and write urdu, but I am not confident enough to teach it. Still, your words gave me so much strength that I feel if I take the time to learn how to teach kids, Im sure i will be a piece of cake. Thank you for such good advice : )))

Rabi'ya
01-01-2006, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andaraawus
As-salamu alaykum ...i think its a good thing that urdu will die out in the west .....because then Islam will be taught in english and the masjids will then free themselves from the grip of this urdu only mentality ...i hyave had more pakistanis encourage me to learn urdu than the language of the Quran ...i even know of a pakistani Scholar who was takfeered becuase he tryed to introduce english itno the school ciriculum .....muslims from the subcontinent call english the devils language and i have heard this with my own ears ....i dont mean to offend but pakistan is not zindabad and neither is any other home land ....so really i cant wait to see the end of this pakistani supremacy that is happening in the masjids where if you dont agree with their ways or practices ...then they call you a wahabie ... bye bye pakistan .....and hello to Islam in england .....for to long Muslims have been bringing pakistan to the u.k and leaving Islam at home...its just the time is changing ......and to speak urdu would only help in the decease of asabiyyah ....whats the point of speaking urdu to a brittish speaking people ??? wasalams
:sl: brother
unfortunately, it is tru that a lot of pakistani Msulims do try to lead people down the wrong path. I agree with what you say to this extend but that does not mean that urdu is the main issue here. Its up to us to enforce Islam with our chlidren and peers as well as maintaining a happy society.

You say whats the point of speaking urdu here in UK....well whats the point of speaking spanish, french or any other modern language?

I thinks its a good idea for young Muslims to learn their mother tongue as well as perhaps another language too.

Im Wales, Welsh has become a compulsory modeule at GCSE, to be honest, there are so few Welsh speakers around but it is part of heritidge(sp?) and to that extent we should try to learn it. Its fun too!!

I think what sister Nadia is propsing is an excellent idea, inshAllah

Rabi'ya:rose:

Snowflake
01-01-2006, 03:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Andaraawus
You're entitled to your own opinion so regardless of what you think, urdu is a beautiful language and is an Indic language that is the official literary language of Pakistan, essentially identical to Hindi in its spoken form but in its literary form heavily influenced by Persian and Arabic and written in an Arabic alphabet. Don't just relate it to Pak, as the best urdu speakers are lucknowers in India and being literate in the urdu language I know the benefits of it. I'm not talking about how pakistanis behave, I'm talking abt the urdu language. You're confusing two entirely diff things here.

Andaraawus
01-01-2006, 03:36 PM
As-Salamau alaykum

true , im sorry for my outburst of frustration .... urdu and the ignorant ones are two differenet things .... i would like to see Islam being taught in the U.k in british and urdu though ....

I have asked educated people why havent the Scholars transalted books in english ...there are so many that need bringing across and on two occasions i got brushed of with thew answer that these classical books should not be translated into english because it would then destroy the purpose of learning Arabic ...but yet agin i find that many books are translated into urdu ....one Scholar said to me ...the scholars will translate them when theres a need for them .....so what do i do firework myself into the air and explode in letters spelling it out for them ? ...sorry excuse my frustration ....i accept what youre saying as correct ...

wasalams

Snowflake
01-01-2006, 04:50 PM
:sl:

It's OK brother no problem. The majority of urdu books sold in the UK are shipped from pakistan and India. I didn't only mention urdu in my post, I do very strongly believe that arabic should be made compulsory in all muslim countries. Every child should be taught arabic, so that when they read the Quran, they know first hand what they are reading and not have to rely on translations and transliteration for tajweed. We can do our bit in bringing some change to the current teaching methods. I have so many plans, but do not want to say anything until I put them into action inshaAllah, watch this space :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.