× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: New Years

  1. #1
    Beardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Along the Coast
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    6,144
    Threads
    639
    Reputation
    75999
    Rep Power
    105
    Likes (Given)
    541
    Likes (Received)
    474

    New Years

    Report bad ads?

    Anyone doing anything for the New Years? Do you stay up until midnight?

    It's pretty pointless, really. Just watch the YouTube clips if you really must the following day.

    But it's just out of curiosity.

    I know one of my local Masajid is having a Qiyaam...

  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #2
    glo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Christianity
    Posts
    8,472
    Threads
    395
    Reputation
    61734
    Rep Power
    119
    Likes (Given)
    1366
    Likes (Received)
    1512

    Re: New Years

    My children are desperate to stay up until midnight, but hubby and I will probably go to bed at our usual time (around 10 pm).
    I appreciate the sense of reflection, fresh hope and new beginnings which the New Year brings - but by the end of the day (pun not intended ) it is just another ordinary day.

    Every day brings fresh hope and new beginnings, so why make a big deal out of the turning of the year?
    New Years

    Peace
    glo

    Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

    Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

    [Psalm 95]


  4. #3
    GuestFellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    6,328
    Threads
    180
    Reputation
    37817
    Rep Power
    86
    Likes (Given)
    1605
    Likes (Received)
    922

    Re: New Years



    Anyone doing anything for the New Years?
    Nothing special.

    Tomorrow I will have finished paying off my course fees so I'm happy about that. I'm not looking forward to the exams and job hunt.
    New Years

    I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.

  5. #4
    Aishath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    365
    Threads
    90
    Reputation
    742
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Re: New Years

    Nothing at all. Trying to struggle through my immense coursework

  6. Report bad ads?
  7. #5
    R Khan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    76
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    396
    Rep Power
    54
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Re: New Years

    Call of duty black ops.

  8. #6
    ~Raindrop~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    3,939
    Threads
    56
    Reputation
    48994
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    675
    Likes (Received)
    606

    Re: New Years

    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    I know one of my local Masajid is having a Qiyaam...
    How does New Years' Eve fit in with Islam and the Masaajid?
    SubhanAllah.

  9. #7
    Danah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    CyBeRsPaCe
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    6,959
    Threads
    212
    Reputation
    81003
    Rep Power
    118
    Likes (Given)
    51
    Likes (Received)
    123

    Re: New Years

    Nothing!! its already 1:30 AM here which mean that its already the new year here, on that time I was talking with my nephew and didn't pay attention to the so called "new year eve" instead I am doing some work on the computer.
    Human should think of everyday as a new start not only the new year!

    and about those who are doing Qyiaam!! From where they come up with such practice? Did the prophet prayed like that? whats wrong with those people?
    Last edited by Danah; 12-31-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    New Years

    Visit my website
    ProtectedPearls.com

    Your way to find the truth


    Follow us on:

    YouTube
    Twitter
    Facebook


  10. #8
    purple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    173
    Threads
    6
    Reputation
    1849
    Rep Power
    56
    Likes (Given)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Re: New Years


    Who care what others do? Why do people seem to have hizzy fit over it?

    I like watching the firework that is it really.
    It is 21:38 in the UK. If I am awake, I would watch the firework on Telly.

  11. #9
    Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,049
    Threads
    57
    Reputation
    8985
    Rep Power
    73
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    212

    Re: New Years

    Quote Originally Posted by R Khan View Post
    Call of duty black ops.
    Same.

    (>'.')>

  12. Report bad ads?
  13. #10
    R Khan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    76
    Threads
    2
    Reputation
    396
    Rep Power
    54
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Re: New Years

    11 Killstreak - Gunship: Pew pew.

    That's how i'll end this year.

  14. #11
    Ğħαrєєвαħ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dunya
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    4,987
    Threads
    123
    Reputation
    39497
    Rep Power
    84
    Likes (Given)
    598
    Likes (Received)
    683

    Re: New Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubah View Post

    Who care what others do? Why do people seem to have hizzy fit over it?

    I like watching the firework that is it really.
    It is 21:38 in the UK. If I am awake, I would watch the firework on Telly.
    Assalaamu`Alaaykum sis

    Nobody is having a Hizzy fit over it sis, the new year thing hasnt got anything to do with Islaam as the Islamic year has already begun and the sistahs are explaining how things that arent "Islamic practices" are taking place today which is kinda classed as almost "Bidah" which is something we as muslims should take into account.

    What about the Islaamic year, nobody could care less about when that begun.

    Anyways this could go on for ever as its called generalising. I agree with sister Glo its just another "ordinary day" and in reality we are just getting closer to the day we shall return to our lord!

    The things we should try do is something that benefits us such as memorising some Quraan, bettering our Salaah anything we feel we should improve that pleases our Lord SWT.

    and no im not tryna sound harsh just about time we take some things seriously insha`Allaah. And may Allaah grant the Ummah strength to stay away from that which is harmful towards us and guide us to what which is best for us Ameen.

    peace
    New Years

    "Allah! La ilaha illa Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), Al-Hayyul-Qayyum (the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists).".."[Al Qur'aan 3:2]

  15. #12
    purple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    173
    Threads
    6
    Reputation
    1849
    Rep Power
    56
    Likes (Given)
    74
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Re: New Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм View Post

    Assalaamu`Alaaykum sis

    Nobody is having a Hizzy fit over it sis, the new year thing hasnt got anything to do with Islaam as the Islamic year has already begun and the sistahs are explaining how things that arent "Islamic practices" are taking place today which is kinda classed as almost "Bidah" which is something we as muslims should take into account.

    What about the Islaamic year, nobody could care less about when that begun.

    Anyways this could go on for ever as its called generalising. I agree with sister Glo its just another "ordinary day" and in reality we are just getting closer to the day we shall return to our lord!

    The things we should try do is something that benefits us such as memorising some Quraan, bettering our Salaah anything we feel we should improve that pleases our Lord SWT.

    and no im not tryna sound harsh just about time we take some things seriously insha`Allaah. And may Allaah grant the Ummah strength to stay away from that which is harmful towards us and guide us to what which is best for us Ameen.

    peace

    This actually the first time I heard of any mosque doing this. And how do we know the mosque is even Sunni? And how do we know they are actually doing this not just a rumour? But that doesn’t shock me. Yes I am well aware of what Bidah is.

    I simply don’t think we should even care about it. We don’t know what kind of Muslim run the Mosque, whether it is a mosque, whether the “mosque” is run by “Muslim” and whether it is true.

    It like ground zero community centre where people assume it is a mosque run by Sunnis.

  16. #13
    Woodrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grant County, Minnesota
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    17,217
    Threads
    244
    Reputation
    163073
    Rep Power
    179
    Likes (Given)
    177
    Likes (Received)
    694

    Re: New Years

    No choice here we are snowed in for the next few days. I took this from the window. I'm not getting out of the house again until the snow stops



    Click on the picture
    New Years




  17. #14
    Aishath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    365
    Threads
    90
    Reputation
    742
    Rep Power
    0
    Likes (Given)
    23
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Re: New Years

    Asalaamu alaykum,

    I do actually know a lot of Muslims who just have the habit of wishing each other happy new year but then not actually go out 'celebrating it' or even believe that it is actually a real new year since obviously our new year is Muharram 1 (which coincidentally was when I was born as well). I think it's more to do with custom now than actually believing it to be the 'new year'...


    Quote Originally Posted by Danah View Post
    Human should think of everyday as a new start not only the new year!
    Well said! I am going to try and set myself some goals but once I've got my work out of the way (or when I'm on one of my many breaks) but just because I want to self improve really. I do this thing where I write out something I would love to achieve over the year insha Allah, and I put it away and much later, I take a look at it and see how I've got along in terms of getting closer towards that goal.

  18. Report bad ads?
  19. #15
    Rafeeq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Continuously running, hence do not live
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,271
    Threads
    13
    Reputation
    9830
    Rep Power
    80
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Re: New Years

    I was awake until midnight due to some personal works and when I went to bed, I could not sleep almost all the night due to sms' on my cell phone (my problem, I never switch my mobile off or put it silent)
    New Years

    When there is nothing left but Allah that is when you find out that Allah is all you need.

  20. #16
    Adil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK LONDON
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    39
    Threads
    7
    Reputation
    134
    Rep Power
    66
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    22

    Re: New Years

    Salam
    I dont do anything on new years night,I was playing videogames then pray my and went to bed....the daily stuff

    Salamu aleikum

  21. #17
    glo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Christianity
    Posts
    8,472
    Threads
    395
    Reputation
    61734
    Rep Power
    119
    Likes (Given)
    1366
    Likes (Received)
    1512

    Re: New Years

    The beauty of not staying up on New Year's Eve is that you wake up refreshed and energetic the next morning, when everybody else is sleeping it off.
    Now, should I go and set off some early morning fireworks in the street, I wonder?! To entertain the neighbours ...

    New Years

    Peace
    glo

    Here I stand.
    I can do no other.
    May God help me.
    Amen.

    Come, let us worship and bow down •
    and kneel before the Lord our Maker

    [Psalm 95]


  22. #18
    Amoeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    351
    Threads
    62
    Reputation
    2235
    Rep Power
    55
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: New Years

    It would be nice to live somewhere that this kind of stuff is frowned upon rather than accepted as the norm. I HATE HATE HATE new years eve! It's so difficult to sleep when your walls are rattling due to loud music from the two different neighbours you're sandwiched between! And there's not a single thing you can do about it (I know these neighbours, rough, nasty people that you can't really negotiate with). It's the one time of year people can get away with such loud noise, because the police pretty much told me over the phone that noise patrol are off and the police said they probably wouldn't be able to get anyone to check it out... which they didn't.

  23. #19
    Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,049
    Threads
    57
    Reputation
    8985
    Rep Power
    73
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    212

    Re: New Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
    It would be nice to live somewhere that this kind of stuff is frowned upon rather than accepted as the norm. I HATE HATE HATE new years eve! It's so difficult to sleep when your walls are rattling due to loud music from the two different neighbours you're sandwiched between! And there's not a single thing you can do about it (I know these neighbours, rough, nasty people that you can't really negotiate with). It's the one time of year people can get away with such loud noise, because the police pretty much told me over the phone that noise patrol are off and the police said they probably wouldn't be able to get anyone to check it out... which they didn't.
    Just join the party.

  24. Report bad ads?
  25. #20
    Amoeba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    351
    Threads
    62
    Reputation
    2235
    Rep Power
    55
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: New Years

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrion View Post


    Just join the party.
    I was about ready to crash the party. Baseball bat to the speakers!


  26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! New Years Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. New Years
Sign Up

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create