× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 30 visibility 6148

Do not lie even in joke!

  1. #1
    Khayal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In Thoughts!
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,285
    Threads
    630
    Rep Power
    134
    Rep Ratio
    47
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Arrow *!* Do not Lie even in Joke! *!*

    Report bad ads?

    Do not Lie even in Joke!

    Do not Lie even in Joke!

    by Shawana A Aziz

    As-Sunnah Islamic Newsletter

    True belief in Allah and the Day of Judgment implies that the person is truthful in his speech If he truly believes that Allah Hears and Sees everything he does and a Day will come when he will be accounted for his actions, then he will not lie. The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Let he who truly believes in Allah and the Last Day speak good or be silent." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

    It is from the tricks of Shaytaan that he first makes sins look insignificant and minor in the eyes of the believers, and then gradually deceives them to commit those sins. Lying is one of them, and people do not show much concern about its prohibition, however, lying is a characteristic of hypocrisy, Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn Amr al-Aas (radhi allahu anhu) narrated that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Whoever has the following four characteristics will be a pure hypocrite; and whoever has one of these four characteristics will have one characteristic of hypocrisy unless and until he gives it up; whenever he is entrusted he betrays, whenever he speaks he tells a lie, whenever he makes a covenant he proves treacherous, and whenever he quarrels he behaves in a very imprudent, evil and insulting manner." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

    Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) warned us against lying by describing the severe punishments of Allah for the liars. He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) related a dream in which he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) saw people being punished; among them were two persons, whose cheeks were torn away from the mouth to the ear. He said: "I saw (in a dream), two men came to me. They said, 'The person, the one whose cheek you saw being torn away (from the mouth to the ear) was a liar and used to tell lies and the people would report those lies on his authority till they spread all over the world. So he will be punished like that till the Day of Resurrection.'" [Saheeh al-Bukharee (vol. 8, no: 118)]

    The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) explained that lying could cause one to end up in the Hell Fire, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Avoid falsehood, for falsehood leads to wickedness, and wickedness to Hell; and if a man continues to speak falsehood and makes falsehood his object, he will be recorded in Allah's presence as a great liar. And adhere to the truth, for truth leads to good deeds, and good deeds lead to Paradise. If a man continues to speak the truth and makes truth his object, he will be recorded in Allah's presence as eminently truthful." [Abu Dawood (Sunan Abu Dawood vol. 3, no. 4971)]

    Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has strictly forbade lying at all times, but he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) specifically cursed the person who lies to make people laugh, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Woe be on one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh, woe be on him." [Abu Dawood vol: 3, no. 4972.] This Hadeeth shows the gravity of lying in jokes, which has today become a very common behavior. People appreciate and encourage false jokes claiming that it brings joy and amusement - But in the above Hadeeth, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) forbade lying even if the intention of the person is to amuse people, because one who habitually lies for sake of amusement, loses the fear of lying and he is very likely to later fall into harmful lies. So, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) blocked this path from the beginning because of the bad it may lead to.

    Islam does not prohibit joking. It is known through many narrations that Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) approved joking, and he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) would himself play and joke with his companions and small children. Simak ibn Harb asked Jabir ibn Samurah (radhi allahu anhu), "Did you sit in the company of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)?" He said: 'Yes, very often. He (the Prophet) used to sit at the place where he observed the morning or dawn prayer till the sun rose or when it had risen; he would stand, and they (his Companions) would talk about matters (pertaining to the days) of ignorance, and they would laugh (on these matters) while (the Prophet) only smiled.' [Saheeh Muslim (1413)] So, joking is permitted in Islam but with some necessary guidelines,

    (a) Joking should not involve lying, Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) said that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was told, "O Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), you are joking with us." He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "I only say what is true." [Tirmidhee] Also, listening to jokes that involve lies is forbidden, because silence in Islam indicates consent. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has ordered us to stop evil or at least speak out against it, if it occurs in one's presence. If one cannot gather the courage to speak against the one who lies, then he should leave such people who engage in lies to pass their time.

    (b) Joking should not involve bad language or abusing people. Allah says in the Qur'aan: "O you who believe! A group of people should not scorn another group, for it may be that (the scorned person) is better than the other…" [Soorah al-Hujurat (49): 11]

    Always Remember Before you speak!

    Everything we say is being recorded in our actions and that one wrong word can take us to Hell Fire. Allah says in Soorah Qaf (50): 18: "Not a word he utters but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)."

    The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Sometimes, a person says a thing which pleases Allah, and in return Allah raises his status (rewards him), and sometimes a persons says something which displeases Allah, and it takes him to Hell." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]


    .
    Do not lie even in joke!


    Even a Smile is charity!


    Indiana20singingJPG 1 - Do not lie even in joke!

    khayal 2 - Do not lie even in joke!

    .


    chat Quote

  2. Report bad ads?
  3. #2
    Lonely_Boy's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Full Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    415
    Threads
    18
    Rep Power
    116
    Rep Ratio
    11
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: *!* Do not Lie even in Joke! *!*



    JAZAKALLAH sister

    Well I really appreciate ur articles regarding these type of little things which we muslim normally ignore as we people see in our surrounding and even in our self that we do a lot of religious stuff and etc but we ignore these little thing in our daily life which means a lot for strong growth

    Do not lie even in joke!

    Oh Allah! I love you and I need you, come into my heart, please.
    chat Quote

  4. #3
    TrueBeliever's Avatar Limited Member
    brightness_1
    Limited Member
    star_rate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    7
    Threads
    5
    Rep Power
    0
    Rep Ratio
    80
    Likes Ratio
    0

    Do not Lie even in Joke!

    Bismillaah Ar-Rahmaan Ar-Raheem

    Do not Lie even in Joke!




    True belief in Allah and the Day of Judgment implies that the person is truthful in his speech If he truly believes that Allah Hears and Sees everything he does and a Day will come when he will be accounted for his actions, then he will not lie. The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Let he who truly believes in Allah and the Last Day speak good or be silent." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

    It is from the tricks of Shaytaan that he first makes sins look insignificant and minor in the eyes of the believers, and then gradually deceives them to commit those sins. Lying is one of them, and people do not show much concern about its prohibition, however, lying is a characteristic of hypocrisy, Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn Amr al-Aas (radhi allahu anhu) narrated that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Whoever has the following four characteristics will be a pure hypocrite; and whoever has one of these four characteristics will have one characteristic of hypocrisy unless and until he gives it up; whenever he is entrusted he betrays, whenever he speaks he tells a lie, whenever he makes a covenant he proves treacherous, and whenever he quarrels he behaves in a very imprudent, evil and insulting manner." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

    Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) warned us against lying by describing the severe punishments of Allah for the liars. He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) related a dream in which he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) saw people being punished; among them were two persons, whose cheeks were torn away from the mouth to the ear. He said: "I saw (in a dream), two men came to me. They said, 'The person, the one whose cheek you saw being torn away (from the mouth to the ear) was a liar and used to tell lies and the people would report those lies on his authority till they spread all over the world. So he will be punished like that till the Day of Resurrection.'" [Saheeh al-Bukharee (vol. 8, no: 118)]

    The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) explained that lying could cause one to end up in the Hell Fire, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Avoid falsehood, for falsehood leads to wickedness, and wickedness to Hell; and if a man continues to speak falsehood and makes falsehood his object, he will be recorded in Allah's presence as a great liar. And adhere to the truth, for truth leads to good deeds, and good deeds lead to Paradise. If a man continues to speak the truth and makes truth his object, he will be recorded in Allah's presence as eminently truthful." [Abu Dawood (Sunan Abu Dawood vol. 3, no. 4971)]

    Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has strictly forbade lying at all times, but he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) specifically cursed the person who lies to make people laugh, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Woe be on one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh, woe be on him." [Abu Dawood vol: 3, no. 4972.] This Hadeeth shows the gravity of lying in jokes, which has today become a very common behavior. People appreciate and encourage false jokes claiming that it brings joy and amusement - But in the above Hadeeth, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) forbade lying even if the intention of the person is to amuse people, because one who habitually lies for sake of amusement, loses the fear of lying and he is very likely to later fall into harmful lies. So, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) blocked this path from the beginning because of the bad it may lead to.

    Islam does not prohibit joking. It is known through many narrations that Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) approved joking, and he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) would himself play and joke with his companions and small children. Simak ibn Harb asked Jabir ibn Samurah (radhi allahu anhu), "Did you sit in the company of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)?" He said: 'Yes, very often. He (the Prophet) used to sit at the place where he observed the morning or dawn prayer till the sun rose or when it had risen; he would stand, and they (his Companions) would talk about matters (pertaining to the days) of ignorance, and they would laugh (on these matters) while (the Prophet) only smiled.' [Saheeh Muslim (1413)] So, joking is permitted in Islam but with some necessary guidelines,

    (a) Joking should not involve lying, Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) said that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was told, "O Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), you are joking with us." He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "I only say what is true." [Tirmidhee] Also, listening to jokes that involve lies is forbidden, because silence in Islam indicates consent. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has ordered us to stop evil or at least speak out against it, if it occurs in one's presence. If one cannot gather the courage to speak against the one who lies, then he should leave such people who engage in lies to pass their time.

    (b) Joking should not involve bad language or abusing people. Allah says in the Qur'aan: "O you who believe! A group of people should not scorn another group, for it may be that (the scorned person) is better than the other…" [Soorah al-Hujurat (49): 11]

    Always Remember Before you speak!

    Everything we say is being recorded in our actions and that one wrong word can take us to Hell Fire. Allah says in Soorah Qaf (50): 18: "Not a word he utters but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)."

    The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Sometimes, a person says a thing which pleases Allah, and in return Allah raises his status (rewards him), and sometimes a persons says something which displeases Allah, and it takes him to Hell." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

    By Shawana A Aziz
    Source: http://www.shareeah.org/ba/articles/002.html
    chat Quote

  5. #4
    sapphire's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Umme Umaymah
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    2,822
    Threads
    2
    Rep Power
    123
    Rep Ratio
    37
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: Do not Lie even in Joke!

    thats true bro...Nabi (s) used to always have a moral to his jokes...may we all stop lying in the form of jokes....
    Do not lie even in joke!

    wwwislamicboardcom - Do not lie even in joke!
    chat Quote

  6. Report bad ads?
  7. #5
    ummAbdillah's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    ~Aisha~
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    london
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,903
    Threads
    30
    Rep Power
    124
    Rep Ratio
    56
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: Do not Lie even in Joke!


    format_quote Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
    thats true bro...Nabi (s) used to always have a moral to his jokes...may we all stop lying in the form of jokes....
    ameem @ dua
    Do not lie even in joke!

    وَإِن كُنتُنَّ تُرِدْنَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَالدَّارَ الْآخِرَةَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ أَعَدَّ لِلْمُحْسِنَاتِ مِنكُنَّ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا
    chat Quote

  8. #6
    TEH's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    561
    Threads
    8
    Rep Power
    116
    Rep Ratio
    11
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: Do not Lie even in Joke!

    Question...

    What if you are trying to make a point??? It isnt your intent to lie, but you do it to make a point to someone else, such as sarcasm??

    chat Quote

  9. #7
    Muezzin's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Bat-Mod
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    10,763
    Threads
    180
    Rep Power
    160
    Rep Ratio
    63
    Likes Ratio
    8

    Re: Do not Lie even in Joke!

    format_quote Originally Posted by TEH View Post
    Question...

    What if you are trying to make a point??? It isnt your intent to lie, but you do it to make a point to someone else, such as sarcasm??

    Yeah, and also what if the person you're talking to knows you're not being serious? Is it still a lie? That's the whole bedrock of ironic and sarcastic humour
    chat Quote

  10. #8
    Ibn Abi Ahmed's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,915
    Threads
    411
    Rep Power
    171
    Rep Ratio
    119
    Likes Ratio
    5

    Re: *!* Do not Lie even in Joke! *!*



    Threads Merged.

    Do not lie even in joke!

    Do not argue with your Lord on behalf of your soul, rather argue with your soul on behalf of your Lord.” - Dhul-Nun

    "It is the very pursuit of happiness that thwarts happiness." - Victor Frankl
    chat Quote

  11. #9
    ummAbdillah's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    ~Aisha~
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    london
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,903
    Threads
    30
    Rep Power
    124
    Rep Ratio
    56
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Do not lie even in joke!


    in the name of Allah, most compasionate, most merciful

    Some people joke too much and it becomes a habit for them. This is the opposite of the serious nature which is the characteristic of the believers. Joking is a break, a rest from ongoing seriousness and striving; it is a little relaxation for the soul. ‘Umar ibn ‘Abd al-‘Azeez (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “Fear joking, for it is folly and generates grudges.”

    Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The kind of joking which is forbidden is that which is excessive and persistent, for it leads to too much laughter and hardening of the heart, it distracts from remembrance of Allaah, and it often leads to hurt feelings, generates hatred and causes people to lose respect and dignity. But whoever is safe from such dangers, then that which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to do is permissible for him.”

    Sa’d ibn Abi Waqqaas said: “Set a limit to your jokes, for going to extremes makes you lose respect and incites the foolish against you.”

    The amount of joking should be like the amount of salt in one’s food.

    The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Do not laugh too much, for laughing too much deadens the heart.” (Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7312)

    ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “Whoever laughs too much or jokes too much loses respect, and whoever persists in doing something will be known for it.”

    So beware of joking, for it “causes a person to lose face after he was thought of as respectable, and it brings him humiliation after esteem.”

    A man said to Sufyaan ibn ‘Uyaynah (may Allaah be pleased with him), “Joking is not right, it is to be denounced.” He replied, “Rather it is Sunnah, but only for those who know how to do it and do it at the appropriate time.”

    Nowadays, although the ummah needs to increase the love between its individual members and to relieve itself of boredom, it has gone too far with regard to relaxation, laughter and jokes. This has become a habit which fills their gatherings and wastes their time, so their lives are wasted and their newspapers are filled with jokes and trivia.

    The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If you knew what I know, you would laugh little and weep much.” In Fath al-Baari it says: “What is meant by knowledge here has to do with the might of Allaah and His vengeance upon those who disobey Him, and the terrors that occur at death, in the grave and on the Day of Resurrection).

    Muslim men and women have to be inclined to choose righteous and serious friends in their lives, who will help them to make good use of their time and strive for the sake of Allaah with seriousness and steadfastness, good and righteous people whose example they can follow. Bilaal ibn Sa’d said: “I saw them [the Sahaabah] jokingly pretending to fight over some goods, and laughing with one another, but when night came they were like monks.”

    Ibn ‘Umar (may Allaah be pleased with him) was asked, “Did the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) laugh?” He said, “Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.”

    So you have to follow the example of such people, who were knights by day and monks (i.e., devoted worshippers) by night.

    May Allaah keep us, you and our parents safe on the Day of the Greatest Terror, those to whom the call will go out on that great Day:

    “Enter Paradise, no fear shall be on you, nor shall you grieve”

    al-A’raaf 7:49

    Do not lie even in joke!

    وَإِن كُنتُنَّ تُرِدْنَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَالدَّارَ الْآخِرَةَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ أَعَدَّ لِلْمُحْسِنَاتِ مِنكُنَّ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا
    chat Quote

  12. Report bad ads?
  13. #10
    h1jabi_sista's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Full Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Luton
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Posts
    418
    Threads
    5
    Rep Power
    119
    Rep Ratio
    10
    Likes Ratio
    0

    Re: Rules of Joking in Islam

    as salam alikum,

    subhanallah, that was very benificial. jazakallah for sharing!:sister:

    Do not lie even in joke!

    :rose: A Rose Protects Its Beauty With Thorns, A Woman Protects Hers With A Veil
    chat Quote

  14. #11
    MinAhlilHadeeth's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,888
    Threads
    276
    Rep Power
    142
    Rep Ratio
    50
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Do not lie even in joke!

    Do not Lie even in Joke!


    by Shawana A Aziz

    As-Sunnah Islamic Newsletter


    True belief in Allah and the Day of Judgment implies that the person is truthful in his speech If he truly believes that Allah Hears and Sees everything he does and a Day will come when he will be accounted for his actions, then he will not lie. The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Let he who truly believes in Allah and the Last Day speak good or be silent." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

    It is from the tricks of Shaytaan that he first makes sins look insignificant and minor in the eyes of the believers, and then gradually deceives them to commit those sins. Lying is one of them, and people do not show much concern about its prohibition, however, lying is a characteristic of hypocrisy, Abdullah Ibn Amr Ibn Amr al-Aas (radhi allahu anhu) narrated that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Whoever has the following four characteristics will be a pure hypocrite; and whoever has one of these four characteristics will have one characteristic of hypocrisy unless and until he gives it up; whenever he is entrusted he betrays, whenever he speaks he tells a lie, whenever he makes a covenant he proves treacherous, and whenever he quarrels he behaves in a very imprudent, evil and insulting manner." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

    Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) warned us against lying by describing the severe punishments of Allah for the liars. He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) related a dream in which he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) saw people being punished; among them were two persons, whose cheeks were torn away from the mouth to the ear. He said: "I saw (in a dream), two men came to me. They said, 'The person, the one whose cheek you saw being torn away (from the mouth to the ear) was a liar and used to tell lies and the people would report those lies on his authority till they spread all over the world. So he will be punished like that till the Day of Resurrection.'" [Saheeh al-Bukharee (vol. 8, no: 118)]

    The Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) explained that lying could cause one to end up in the Hell Fire, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Avoid falsehood, for falsehood leads to wickedness, and wickedness to Hell; and if a man continues to speak falsehood and makes falsehood his object, he will be recorded in Allah's presence as a great liar. And adhere to the truth, for truth leads to good deeds, and good deeds lead to Paradise. If a man continues to speak the truth and makes truth his object, he will be recorded in Allah's presence as eminently truthful." [Abu Dawood (Sunan Abu Dawood vol. 3, no. 4971)]

    Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has strictly forbade lying at all times, but he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) specifically cursed the person who lies to make people laugh, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Woe be on one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh, woe be on him." [Abu Dawood vol: 3, no. 4972.] This Hadeeth shows the gravity of lying in jokes, which has today become a very common behavior. People appreciate and encourage false jokes claiming that it brings joy and amusement - But in the above Hadeeth, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) forbade lying even if the intention of the person is to amuse people, because one who habitually lies for sake of amusement, loses the fear of lying and he is very likely to later fall into harmful lies. So, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) blocked this path from the beginning because of the bad it may lead to.

    Islam does not prohibit joking. It is known through many narrations that Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) approved joking, and he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) would himself play and joke with his companions and small children. Simak ibn Harb asked Jabir ibn Samurah (radhi allahu anhu), "Did you sit in the company of the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam)?" He said: 'Yes, very often. He (the Prophet) used to sit at the place where he observed the morning or dawn prayer till the sun rose or when it had risen; he would stand, and they (his Companions) would talk about matters (pertaining to the days) of ignorance, and they would laugh (on these matters) while (the Prophet) only smiled.' [Saheeh Muslim (1413)] So, joking is permitted in Islam but with some necessary guidelines,

    (a) Joking should not involve lying, Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) said that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was told, "O Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), you are joking with us." He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "I only say what is true." [Tirmidhee] Also, listening to jokes that involve lies is forbidden, because silence in Islam indicates consent. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has ordered us to stop evil or at least speak out against it, if it occurs in one's presence. If one cannot gather the courage to speak against the one who lies, then he should leave such people who engage in lies to pass their time.

    (b) Joking should not involve bad language or abusing people. Allah says in the Qur'aan: "O you who believe! A group of people should not scorn another group, for it may be that (the scorned person) is better than the other…" [Soorah al-Hujurat (49): 11]

    Always Remember Before you speak!

    Everything we say is being recorded in our actions and that one wrong word can take us to Hell Fire. Allah says in Soorah Qaf (50): 18: "Not a word he utters but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)."

    The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Sometimes, a person says a thing which pleases Allah, and in return Allah raises his status (rewards him), and sometimes a persons says something which displeases Allah, and it takes him to Hell." [Saheeh al-Bukharee]
    chat Quote

  15. #12
    lolwatever's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Solar System
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    4,063
    Threads
    57
    Rep Power
    123
    Rep Ratio
    35
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: Do not lie even in joke!

    jazaks sis

    wat if its infront of the person n u just makn funny comments that the other prsn dont mind

    Do not lie even in joke!

    commenthere:



    ليس بعلم ما حواه القمطر، ماالعلم إلا ما وعاه الصدر
    animationPop 1 - Do not lie even in joke!
    .::.....sabr Ayyoub.....::.
    chat Quote

  16. #13
    MinAhlilHadeeth's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,888
    Threads
    276
    Rep Power
    142
    Rep Ratio
    50
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: Do not lie even in joke!



    The article is very clear on this matter. If the joke involves lying, then this is haram.

    Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has strictly forbade lying at all times, but he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) specifically cursed the person who lies to make people laugh, he (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "Woe be on one who speaks and lies in order to make people laugh, woe be on him." [Abu Dawood vol: 3, no. 4972.] This Hadeeth shows the gravity of lying in jokes, which has today become a very common behavior. People appreciate and encourage false jokes claiming that it brings joy and amusement - But in the above Hadeeth, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) forbade lying even if the intention of the person is to amuse people, because one who habitually lies for sake of amusement, loses the fear of lying and he is very likely to later fall into harmful lies. So, the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) blocked this path from the beginning because of the bad it may lead to.

    And Allah knows best.

    Last edited by MinAhlilHadeeth; 02-28-2007 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo
    chat Quote

  17. #14
    IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fighting4Emaan
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    16,476
    Threads
    356
    Rep Power
    165
    Rep Ratio
    46
    Likes Ratio
    4

    Re: Do not lie even in joke!

    jazakAllah khair

    Do not lie even in joke!

    -
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

  18. Report bad ads?
  19. #15
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grant County, Minnesota
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    17,217
    Threads
    244
    Rep Power
    209
    Rep Ratio
    95
    Likes Ratio
    5

    Re: Do not lie even in joke!

    (a) Joking should not involve lying, Abu Hurayrah (radhi allahu anhu) said that the Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) was told, "O Prophet (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam), you are joking with us." He (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) said: "I only say what is true." [Tirmidhee] Also, listening to jokes that involve lies is forbidden, because silence in Islam indicates consent. Allah's Messenger (sallallahu alaihi wa-sallam) has ordered us to stop evil or at least speak out against it, if it occurs in one's presence. If one cannot gather the courage to speak against the one who lies, then he should leave such people who engage in lies to pass their time.


    Are unbelievable exaggerations considered lies?

    If so that has eliminated every Texas Joke I know. Just about every joke involving Texas or Texans is based on extreme exaggerations of Texas and the size and importance of Texas and Texans.


    Come to think of it many jokes are not factual, they are based on preposterous funny statements and not expected to be seen as an actual happening. would those be considered lies?
    Last edited by Woodrow; 02-28-2007 at 04:57 PM.
    Do not lie even in joke!

    Herman 1 - Do not lie even in joke!

    chat Quote

  20. #16
    MinAhlilHadeeth's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    7,888
    Threads
    276
    Rep Power
    142
    Rep Ratio
    50
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: Do not lie even in joke!



    Well, lying in jokes is haram. So if those exaggerations are so immense that they are actually lies I suppose so. All of the Prophet's (SAW) jokes were the truth. So we should try to immitate this. There also needs to be moderation on how much one jokes, as too much laughter hardens the heart. Really we should weep more than we laugh. But how many of us do so?
    chat Quote

  21. #17
    AbuAbdallah's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Full Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    124
    Threads
    2
    Rep Power
    106
    Rep Ratio
    25
    Likes Ratio
    0

    Re: Do not lie even in joke!

    Barak Allahu feek,

    When the person stops lying even while joking, other will take them seriously, and that person will be known amongst the people as a trustworthy and honest person.
    chat Quote

  22. #18
    Al_Imaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    1,490
    Threads
    33
    Rep Power
    115
    Rep Ratio
    59
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: Do not lie even in joke!

    Jazak Allah for the article....
    Do not lie even in joke!

    wwwislamicboardcom - Do not lie even in joke!
    chat Quote

  23. #19
    Khayal's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    In Thoughts!
    Gender
    Female
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    5,285
    Threads
    630
    Rep Power
    134
    Rep Ratio
    47
    Likes Ratio
    1

    Re: *!* Do not Lie even in Joke! *!*




    *bump*


    Do not lie even in joke!


    Even a Smile is charity!


    Indiana20singingJPG 1 - Do not lie even in joke!

    khayal 2 - Do not lie even in joke!

    .


    chat Quote

  24. Report bad ads?
  25. #20
    Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grant County, Minnesota
    Gender
    Male
    Religion
    Islam
    Posts
    17,217
    Threads
    244
    Rep Power
    209
    Rep Ratio
    95
    Likes Ratio
    5

    Re: *!* Do not Lie even in Joke! *!*

    This needs to be brought to mind periodicaly.
    Do not lie even in joke!

    Herman 1 - Do not lie even in joke!

    chat Quote


  26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Do not lie even in joke! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Do not lie even in joke!
Sign Up

Similar Threads

  1. saying DIVORCE as a joke
    By anonymous in forum Advice & Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 02:31 PM
  2. Got a joke?
    By Jeness18 in forum Halal Fun
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 08-09-2006, 08:04 PM
  3. A joke
    By evangel in forum General
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 02:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
create