× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 95 visibility 12612

Should Muslims be using facebook?

Raphael's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Question Should Muslims be using facebook?

Report bad ads?

This thread will probably get ignored, but I'd be interested in hearing what peeps here think....

I've heard the "depends how you use it" argument a lot but surely that can be used to justify a lot of things.

"Actions are but intentions", an often misquoted hadith, especially when nuffs are involved.

I've also heard a lot of imams are using it, but perhaps they are naive to the way the youth use it?

chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Mujahideen92's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Should Muslims be using facebook?

I very rarely use Facebook, if i do its to talk with friends and family.

wwwislamicboardcom - Should Muslims be using facebook?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Mujahideen92 View Post
    I very rarely use Facebook, if i do its to talk with friends and family.

Fair point, but in the age of technology surely there are many avenues to be able to do that?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Yeah mostly i just email. As i said i very rarely use Facebook

chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    GuestFellow's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I don't need facebook. I don't have anyone to talk to. Muslims can use facebook but not to mix with the wrong sort of people.

I was looking at myself talking to myself and I realized this conversation...I was having with myself looking at myself was a conversation with myself that I needed to have with myself.
    chat Quote

Woodrow's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    May Allah have mercy on him رحمة الله عليه
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Face book seen in it's basic sense is a computer program. Like all programs it is a tool and like all tools it can be used for good, evil, or indifferent. My only argument against it is too many people use it for bad purposes. But, that does not mean Facebook itself is wrong.

Herman 1 - Should Muslims be using facebook?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
    Face book seen in it's basic sense is a computer program. Like all programs it is a tool and like all tools it can be used for good, evil, or indifferent. My only argument against it is too many people use it for bad purposes. But, that does not mean Facebook itself is wrong.

A bar seen in its basic sense is just a room. Like all rooms it is a place, and like all places it can be used for good, evil or indifference. My only argument against it is too many people use it for bad purposes. But that doesn't mean a bar itself is wrong.

Forgive me bro!

I feel a public stoning is coming round the corner. Go easy I'm new!
    chat Quote

Hayfa's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Facebook is a huge distraction, people can use it for Islamic purposes but i feel 90% is fitnah.

What i dislike about FB is the pointless pictures people post especially the one were there in the toilet mirror taking snapshots of themselves with their mobile phones. haha (why does everyone have one of them?)

Its good for businesses and Islamic event purposes but that's all really...i was glad to get rid of mine mine seemed pretty boring compared to the rest, when your on and not indulging with all the haram stuff you might aswell get off. You can stay in contact with family and friends through the phone man.

Another thing i hate about FB is how people have made it a matrimonial website, most people i know have apparently found there soul mates. pufft.

I just can't stand facebook, sorry for my complaining but i think youth should stay away from it and then the pass rates will also increase. teehe
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Hayfa View Post
    Facebook is a huge distraction, people can use it for Islamic purposes but i feel 90% is fitnah.
    Since facebook is not required in peoples life, or something they cannot escape (photo id comes to mind) shouldn't even a 1% fitnah be enough to make someone sincere want to leave?

chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Raphael View Post
    A bar seen in its basic sense is just a room. Like all rooms it is a place, and like all places it can be used for good, evil or indifference. My only argument against it is too many people use it for bad purposes. But that doesn't mean a bar itself is wrong.

Forgive me bro!

I feel a public stoning is coming round the corner. Go easy I'm new!
    No public stoning today. Maybe a small pebbling.

To use that as an analogy with Facebook. It would be the room is the program. Adding the alcohol to make the program function as a bar would be evil use of the program. A bar is not simply a room, it is a room stocked for a single purpose, that we find to be evil.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My point in the analogy was not necessarily the alcohol. What about all the lovely peoples who sit in a bar and don't drink. A little coke and lemon doesn't break khamr rules does it?

The analogy was meant to point towards free mixing, and I'm not talking about the DJ. *

*I thought it was funny at the time
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My point in the analogy was not necessarily the alcohol. What about all the lovely peoples who sit in a bar and don't drink. A little coke and lemon doesn't break khamr rules does it?

The analogy was meant to point towards free mixing, and I'm not talking about the DJ. *

*I thought it was funny at the time
    No problem, I see your point now (check your reps). You present a strong case as to why Muslims should not use it.

chat Quote

Hayfa's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Since facebook is not required in peoples life, or something they cannot escape (photo id comes to mind) shouldn't even a 1% fitnah be enough to make someone sincere want to leave?

Indeed, i agree...
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I'm surprised there is such little resistance, I was told that a lot of Muslims use it. I don't know of many who actually don't use it in the US!

I guess times are a changin'
    Last edited by Raphael; 11-07-2009 at 02:28 AM.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    mahfuja's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

*rolls in a fb user to argue her case* :P

I dont agree with the bar analogy ... a bar has alcohol ... free mixing ... music ... u enter a bar u can CHOOSE not to drink alcohol or free mix but ultimately you are in a negative environment

let me give you an analogy that probably wont be agreed on ... but here goes ... TV is not haram/evil ... what you CHOOSE to watch is where your good/bad deeds lie ... ie tune into Islam channel/peace tv = good ... x factor and what not = bad

similarly ... fb itself is not an evil medium ... it has enough privacy options to block out who you want and allow who you want. you choose whether u want pics up ... u choose whether u want to free mix IF you free mix that is ... its all down to youuuu

I personally think fb is a great way to publicise isoc events ... or any events for that matter and to be informed about great upcoming events ...

hmmm ...

WithHardship Indeed There is Ease [94:6]

Sponsor me www.justgiving.com/mahfuja-ahmed. Running 10K for Nour (Domestic Violence).
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by mahfuja View Post
    I dont agree with the bar analogy ... a bar has alcohol ... free mixing ... music ... u enter a bar u can CHOOSE not to drink alcohol or free mix but ultimately you are in a negative environment
    Firstly jazakAllah for taking the baton up. It reminds me of University, where most of the lecture room have no idea whats going on, but they wait for someone else to ask the first question....

I disagree with the TV analogy because you are responsible for what you watch.

However in a "social setting" like facebook, the actions of others can have a direct and negative impact on you. That is why the bar analogy I felt was better.

Let us strip the bar from alcohol and music, just so that we are clear what I mean about free mixing. Imagine a sister just sitting in this room. The fact that she is in an environment which makes her approachable to a male is evil enough, without any alcohol or music present.

Correct me if my information is wrong, but a user can be searched for and contacted via facebook, regardless of settings? Considering that the average *pious* unmarried Muslim male is constantly thinking of "marriage", and the fact that a platform exists that gives him the opportunity to contact a sister he's *seen around* directly and unmoderated is enough reason for every sister to leave the site.

Islam came not to abolish an evil, but to destroy every path to it.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I dont really like Facebook that much, people post the most pointless stuff that nobody cares about.

"Joe had a great day"

NOBODY CARES.

chat Quote

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Tu kaun hai paiiii?
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have one but rarely use it...i have family and friends on it. I see no point in posting photos, tho many do. It's all part of the net...you are responsible for what you do in every part of it, not just facebook. Anything. Just like we are on this forum...yea it's Islamic..but people can take it as an avenue to chit chat or anything else.

*Without Allah, without Islam, life would be meaningless. If I've ever learned patience, it's because of this. Alhamdulillah...*
    chat Quote

mahfuja's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Let us strip the bar from alcohol and music, just so that we are clear what I mean about free mixing. Imagine a sister just sitting in this room. The fact that she is in an environment which makes her approachable to a male is evil enough, without any alcohol or music present.

Correct me if my information is wrong, but a user can be searched for and contacted via facebook, regardless of settings? Considering that the average *pious* unmarried Muslim male is constantly thinking of "marriage", and the fact that a platform exists that gives him the opportunity to contact a sister he's *seen around* directly and unmoderated is enough reason for every sister to leave the site.

Islam came not to abolish an evil, but to destroy every path to it.
    man now i feel like i'm an ambassador for fb ... but anyway ... i still agree with my tv analogy because its all down to OUR choice of how we use/misuse a certain material.

fb has privacy settings whereby only YOU can contact others and no one can contact you ... if they search your name you'll appear blacked out ... nor can they see your picture ... nor can they privately message you or add you as a friend. hence i said its all down to one's own action.

BarakAllah feek bro.

WithHardship Indeed There is Ease [94:6]

Sponsor me www.justgiving.com/mahfuja-ahmed. Running 10K for Nour (Domestic Violence).
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    cat eyes's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i don't use fb nor will i ever the sisters on it make me showing there big faces to non mahrams as the sister hayfa said its full of fitnah

ae8iug 1 - Should Muslims be using facebook?

chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Should Muslims be using facebook? Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Should Muslims be using facebook?