× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Results 1 to 20 of 76 visibility 9389

Unnecessary Facebook Debate

Life_Is_Short's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Angry Unnecessary Facebook Debate

Report bad ads?

Today i had a big debate with my sister about facebook. It was definitely unnecessary and i want to change the way she thinks.

I deleted my account because i heard some bad stories about it but my sister thinks i am socially isolating myself. Which is true because this is the only form of communication that i have with my friends and classmates. I don't take my friends seriously and I also want to cut off bad connections.

She thinks i don't know how to make friends and i prefer to be alone but she fails to understand the real reason.

It is bad. There is no dought about it. Right? She should not be arguing and calling me a 'Loser'.

I place more importance on avoiding things that may lead you to something haram. Facebook is full of temptations. There is no benefit in it. I haven't mentioned this point to her.

Is there another way of conveying this? A way that she would understand.

2. Report bad ads?
    AlbanianMuslim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Unnecessary Facebook Debate

Facebook is evil in my opinion. It has, like you said, way too many temptations. It is also unsafe, no matter how many privacy boxes you check off, someone can still get to your profile and get enough information to harm you in some way. Not only that, but there is no privacy unless your entire profile is devoid of pictures and information, but then at that point you wont really even have a profile and people who do have profiles will most likely not want you added as a friend. Also, although there are some benefits to having that connection I feel it is still too risky.
    I had a facebook for a while myself. It was extremely distracting and it led to bad behavior on my part. Nothing major, but still it took up time I should have spent learning and reading Quran, instead I was surfing other peoples profiles and commenting friends pictures. I realized soon enough that I had an issue and I deleted my profile for good. You cant just deactivate, you actually have to delete it to be fully rid of it so that you wont be tempted to go back.
    Tell your sister there are other ways to socialize instead of facebook.

When I got rid of my facebook I found out who my real friends were in a way. The real friends email me on my private email, call me or visit me.
    If a friend cant pick up the phone or you yourself call and they dont pick up, well then that is not someone who is very social.
    Facebook doesnt bring people closer, it actually leaves them far apart because people no longer get up and go somewhere to talk to a friend over coffee and pictures in your hands, instead they do it on their computers.
    People no longer write sweet letters to each other and mail them they send silly e-cards that really have no meaning other than some words typed or prepared for you.

Social networking sites like Myspace and facebook to me are haram. I am baffled that some muslim girls think it is ok to have over 1,000 "friends" who can see and read about their actions daily. Let alone the fact that they post images of themselves on facebook for everyone to see. Whats the point of wearing a hijab if your going to post pictures of yourself in your home on the internet? Its hypocritical in my view. Im not trying to be judgemental but I am saying from experience, facebook is no good for the soul.

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

P.S. an islamic forum like this one or ourislamic.com are far better for people to "socialize" than facebook ever will be for us muslims.

Life_Is_Short's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That's exactly my point.

Facebook is like a new virus that's infecting every young person out there.

6. Report bad ads?
    Beardo's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Weirdo + Beard = Beardo
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I confess, I have a facebook. Don't bother trying to find me. I'm very secretive. You won't be able to guess the name or e-mail I use.

But anyway, I also agree it's a virus and infection. I use it to advertise some of my non-Islamic websites, but now I'm contemplating on deleting it. It's a risky website to be involved in. You can easily fall in to the evils and such.

And I'll tell you right now... Those who have FaceBook are actually those who have a hard time finding friends. Because they can't find a life on land, they go on-line to look for social interaction.

Hypocritical for me to say, since I come on IslamicBoard 24/7 lol...

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

There is nothing wrong wit facebook. I personally dont use it because I consider it a waste of time. People spend too long on facebook and it could be very addicting. I try to avoid it because I am an outgoing person and I dont want to be addicted to it by sitting in front of a computer the whole day.

Ramadhan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldskool
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

One of the worst things about facebook is the photos that are posted on it. Your friends might have photos with you on them and post them on their profiles. You can untag them of course, but those photos are still on FB for all the world to see, unless you ask your friends to remove all photos that have you on.
    And who knows there maybe some other people that are not on your friends list who could still put photos containing you on their profiles.

The most recent privacy changes by FB is so ridiculous that restrict the way you pick and choose different privacy settings for different people, and you can NOT stop FB from broadcasting EVERY moves you've made onto news feed.

I have restricted my FB profile to the max while still enabling my friends to have access, but it still is too lax.

coddles76's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Facebook is another tool that pleases the shaytaan as it takes us away from our more meaningful duties towards Allah SWT and would agree that it is totally dangerous, putting people at risk of private information stealing and a tool to spy on people. There are many stories out there where corporations use the facebook media site as a tool to spy on people and gather information on an individual which is easy to recieve no matter how much you think you've blocked. It was purely created to spy on people and there privacy by forces that you will never believe. I will never participate in such rubbish and a waste of time. Discussing deen on IB is much more advantous

"And do not Die unless you are in the state of Islam (Submission)"

Lynx's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Life_Is_Short View Post

Today i had a big debate with my sister about facebook. It was definitely unnecessary and i want to change the way she thinks.

I deleted my account because i heard some bad stories about it but my sister thinks i am socially isolating myself. Which is true because this is the only form of communication that i have with my friends and classmates. I don't take my friends seriously and I also want to cut off bad connections.

She thinks i don't know how to make friends and i prefer to be alone but she fails to understand the real reason.

It is bad. There is no dought about it. Right? She should not be arguing and calling me a 'Loser'.

I place more importance on avoiding things that may lead you to something haram. Facebook is full of temptations. There is no benefit in it. I haven't mentioned this point to her.

You know, Islam promotes communication between Muslims. Isolating yourself from friends, especially if they are Muslims is probably something bad Islamically speaking. Community is always stressed. There are plenty of people who don't fall into temptations on Facebook or any other social medium. I personally don't have facebook but I know a lot of people that do who go on just fine. So I think to convince your sister you have to take two points into consideration:

1) how realistic is the evil associated with facebook?
    2) does this evil compare the benefit of staying in touch with friends, especially since for most people having freinds and communicating is a VERY important and useful part of their life.

The key to convincing people is to understand their view of it. When you say there's no benefit from Facebook you've already lost out on convincing your sister because your premise (that there is no benefit) is a flawed one (or at least to her).

12. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    You know, Islam promotes communication between Muslims. Isolating yourself from friends, especially if they are Muslims is probably something bad Islamically speaking. Community is always stressed. There are plenty of people who don't fall into temptations on Facebook or any other social medium. I personally don't have facebook but I know a lot of people that do who go on just fine. So I think to convince your sister you have to take two points into consideration:

1) how realistic is the evil associated with facebook?
    2) does this evil compare the benefit of staying in touch with friends, especially since for most people having freinds and communicating is a VERY important and useful part of their life.

The key to convincing people is to understand their view of it. When you say there's no benefit from Facebook you've already lost out on convincing your sister because your premise (that there is no benefit) is a flawed one (or at least to her).
    You speak as though facebook is the only means in which to keep in touch with friends and family. Yes the evils of facebook far outnumber the goods it may have. Islamic forums such as this are wonderful if you seek knowledge and discussions on Islam.
    Private email and telephone can be used for people who are too far to keep in touch with face to face.
    As for those who are nearby, get up out of your computer chair, walk to your car, drive to their house, and pay them a REAL visit rather than writing on some virtual wall.

What is this garbage about being isolated if you dont have a facebook?
    What were people before facebook, isolated? I dont think so. Facebook is ISOLATING people by keeping them in their homes glued to their computer screens rather than outdoors having a picnic or something with family or friends.
    Thats what I call isolation. There are so many people I used to see on a weekly basis, I rarely see any of them now. When I speak up about it they say "well why dont you have a facebook anymore!" As if facebook is the only reasonable way to spend time with people when in reality you arent actually spending any time with them=isolation.

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Also, on your point about Islam encouraging communication between muslims. Thats what a masjid is for! My masjid holds events for socializing with fellow muslims. Little picnics for the moms and their children, sisters activities, brothers dinners etc. Thats the type of place you go and communicate with fellow muslims. Then, as I said before, if you dont have that option, forums like this are far better than a social networking site to interact with fellow muslims.

Facebook is a disease.

syilla's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Ukhtee...why you want to proof something to her? Just stick to your principle and InshaAllah one day she can understand why you're doing it.

Trying to proof others that what we are thinking is correct...just lead to disaster..lol

heart 1 - Unnecessary Facebook Debate

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.

Lynx's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I didn't say Facebook is the 'only' way to communicate with people. The OP mentioned that he does not take his friends seriously and I would have thought the Muslims here would have been quick to advise him to start taking relationships with people seriously. Unless, of course, all his friends are evil but then he just has bad taste in friends and his sister may not suffer from that same characteristic. Anyway, now I know people can communicate with others through um 'less tempting' ways like forums (this is probably not even a true statement but it won't matter) or visiting the masjid and etc. But the OP was asking for ways to convince his sister to change her mind. I was pointing out the reasons WHY someone would like facebook. If you want to change your sister's mind then you are going to have to take into consideration that 1) Facebook is an incredibly convenient way for people to stay in touch (considering busy people who cannot go to mosque as in the case with Muslimahs since they don't even have an obligation to be at the Mosque weekly) 2) it is superior to many social mediums like if you wanted to find someone you lost contact with and 3) it's not obvious that FB is so evil since there are MANY people who don't fall into temptations on FB. If someone is a strong Muslim then FB isn't much of a threat; just don't put up personally revealing information, don't put up revealing pictures and don't talk to strangers. These are common sense stuff. If you're scared of someone stumbling upon something of yours that you did not want them to find then don't put it up. If you aren't responsible enough to do that then you should really not be using the FB (Or maybe even in the internet at all).

People have different values. You can't get into an argument with someone assuming that you have the same values. You have to find things that will appeal to the values of the person you are trying to convince. I am not supporting FB or condemning it but just trying to give you the point of view a pro-FB person might have (I could be wrong tho since I don't use FB but this seems to be the thought pattern of facebookers)

Abdul Qadir's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

May Allah Guide her, you and me...Ameen...I really respect u for your religious Zeal sister...I have deleted my FaceBook acc as well...its a fitnah...i hope ur Sister realises that sooner rather than later inshallah...

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Today i had a big debate with my sister about facebook.
    And Please dun debate with her...There is to be no debating, arguing etc in the religion...just give her the evidence and advice..and inshallah, Allah will open her heart...

CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

To the op: there is no point in debating with humans. They will stick to their views, no matter what. Unless the change comes in from inside. And I hate this talk about preaching to someone that "isolating yourself is not good." Most humans do that.

Some humans are born with the desire to be separate from other humans. No other human has the right to preach to someone to not isolate themselves, it is a culturally constructed phenomenon of socially interacting with others. Probably it is important for human survival and that is why most humans find anti-social behaviors bad because they feel that its harmful for their survival and hence they condemn the anti-social ones?

Regarding facebook, I use it to find my long forgotten friends from back home. Other than that, I have no interest in advertising my life to my "friends." they want to talk to me? Call me!

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed

muslimsister1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Hope your all in gud health, im gna admit that i do have FB acc, but i do belive it depends on the individual entirley on how they use FB. i go on evrey or evrey 2 days, jst go on for bout half hour n longer if im chattinfg with some1. i understand it can lead to evil but that is if u let it, i really do think it depends on each person's intention as to why they have a acc on FB. Apologise if i have offended anyone in the process of posting on this thread.

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by muslimsister1 View Post

i understand it can lead to evil but that is if u let it, i really do think it depends on each person's intention

How wrong you are there sister..how wrong you are...

S<Chowdhury's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Facebook is just ridiculous now it seems to of taken over socialising all together, people spend hours on end sitting in front of a computer screen and forget the real world. I still have a facebook account because these days people when you meet someone they always seem to ask do you have facebook? haha though i hardly use it once in a blue moon maybe if I'm really bored. It has the pro's of meeting old school friends you haven't seen in a long time i give it that but other than that do i really need to play silly little games like farmville or what ever seriously?

Facebook is more like a stalker sight, you can type in your home address, what school you attend, your phone number etc etc, and oh yeah you can put up the privacy setting to the highest but always have a feeling when people really want something they'll get it somehow or another. And when you upload your photo's onto facebook but then later on you want to delete it does it really get deleted.....apparently it stays on the facebook database so some freak could be looking at your children photo's or something.....

33u7sja 1 - Unnecessary Facebook Debate

To my Akh's tryin to stay on their deen
    It gets mean especially when u stay on the scene
    And at the same try to stay out of trouble
    But don't forget the blessing's in the struggle...
    You gotta stay on your salats, your zakats, your Quran

24. Report bad ads?
    muslimsister1's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

How du mean brother? i may snd dumb here but please explain

26. Hide
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last
Hey there! Unnecessary Facebook Debate Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Unnecessary Facebook Debate