× Register Login What's New! Contact us
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 20 of 39 visibility 5102

Violence as Discipline for Children

AhlaamBella's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    To Allah I belong, and to Him I will return
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Report bad ads?

Me and my husband are debating over the best way to discipline a child. He was beaten (even with a belt) and claims it was the best thing his parents did for him. I wasn't even hit as a child. My Mum communicated with me and explained why things were wrong. I believe this is the best way.

Being Muslim we have decided to both search in Islam for evidence supporting both our cases. I found this story online but it had no reference. Anyone heard it before?

One day the Prophet was sitting with his companions when he saw a young child in the group. Having a great love for children, he called him and sat him on his lap. The people around him watched as the Prophet (s) gave his attention to the child. Suddenly the boy, over-awed perhaps, urinated on the lap of the Prophet(s). Embarrassed, the father sprang forward. “What have you done, you silly boy” he shouted. His arm shoved forward to grab the child away from the Prophet(s), his red face showing his anger. Fear and confusion showed in the face of the child. The Prophet(s) restrained the man, and gently hugged the child to him. “Don’t worry,” he told the over-zealous father. “This is not a big issue. My clothes can be washed. But be careful with how you treat the child” he continued. “What can restore his self-esteem after you have dealt with him in public like this?” - Taken from http://www.islamic-voice.com/raising-children.php

JazakAllah Khayr in advance

New2BAdLogo 1 - Violence as Discipline for Children
    http://www.lastinglilies.wordpress.com
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    Beardo's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Weirdo + Beard = Beardo
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: Violence as Discipline for Children

^ I never heard that Hadith before. Can someone confirm its authenticity?
    chat Quote

Ummu Sufyaan's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    is in need of dua
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i think one should discipline their children according to the capacity of the child's own mindset. for example, sometimes its not best to shout or hit your child in front of others as this will probably humiliate them. that's not to say to not discipline or use effective methods (as children dont like being told off in the first place so not disciplining them at all over their little "issue" shouldn't be an option), but ones that none-the-less are considerate to the feelings of the child.
    perhaps even disciplinary methods may differ according to the child's gender? maybe not

i strongly believe that a child rarely does something so bad that actually deserves a whack. in other words, a stern glare and a few stern words should cause the child to realize that what they are doing is wrong.

hitting should be the last option and even then it shouldn't cause bruising, traumatic, stress, etc. it should be enough, again, just to make the child realize what they are doing is wrong.

...desperate for husnul-khitaam...

please make dua that Allah grants me a good end (to my life). please make dua that Allah guides me.

chat Quote

Abdul Qadir's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by AhlaamBella View Post

He was beaten (even with a belt) and claims it was the best thing his parents did for him.

JazakAllah Khayr in advance
    May Allah save us from being in this situation. I was hit with belts, cane, was burnt...etc..and so were my cousins...if i had not gone thru those ordeals, maybe i will never have been the person i am now..then again, i would never do that to my children..inshallah...the sunnah is to love children...but love does necessarily have to be sweet and soothing always...heard of tough love? i pray that Allah Blesses us with good offsprings...
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    Maryan0's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I've been hit growing up not with a cane or belt though. My parents decided to try grounding and it was the worst punishment to me, lol, I prefer getting beat and getting it over with than having my freedom taken away. So maybe grounding is the best route to go.
    Salam
    chat Quote

Beardo's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    Weirdo + Beard = Beardo
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Lisa0 View Post
    I've been hit growing up not with a cane or belt though. My parents decided to try grounding and it was the worst punishment to me, lol, I prefer getting beat and getting it over with than having my freedom taken away. So maybe grounding is the best route to go.
    Salam
    My parents never really grounded me. It could be because they didn't believe in it, or because they're Desi. They took my laptop away a number of times, but not like most kids my age where if you stay up 2 minutes after bedtime or eat desserts and snacks before dinner you get "grounded".

We all say we won't beat our children. That's probably true. But as Ummu Sufyaan mentioned, it's actually about making the child understand that what they did was wrong, and the severity of the punishment has to be consistent. You can't slap them for eating dessert before dinner and stealing equally. Obviously, stealing has to be a higher punishment. Did that make sense?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad View Post
    We all say we won't beat our children. That's probably true. But as Ummu Sufyaan mentioned, it's actually about making the child understand that what they did was wrong, and the severity of the punishment has to be consistent. You can't slap them for eating dessert before dinner and stealing equally. Obviously, stealing has to be a higher punishment. Did that make sense?
    Yeap, even the Prophet(sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) has said beat ur children if they dun pray when they are 10...(but im not sure about the authencity of this Hadith though...)
    chat Quote

Maryan0's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

My parents never really grounded me. It could be because they didn't believe in it, or because they're Desi. They took my laptop away a number of times, but not like most kids my age where if you stay up 2 minutes after bedtime or eat desserts and snacks before dinner you get "grounded".
    My parents also didn't believe in grounding but they decided to try it since beatings did not work for the longterm. Truly their version of grounding was extreme it was like solitary confinement. Needless to say we all started to listen after that.

I understand and I agree. Making the child understand their wrongs and the different severities will work better in the longterm.
    chat Quote

CosmicPathos's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Anathema
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Children should be beaten, if they have not obeyed after constant reminders, but not excessively. Lets admit, you can always tell what an excessive beating is. If you see that you are beating someone while you are in fits of rage and absolutely crumbled them then that is torture and Islam does not accept that. But giving a spank or two on the face in situations where lets say a child has done zina after telling him its wrong, is absolutely called for. Minimal physical torture and maximize psychological torture by not buying them what they love.

its my observation that more of those kids whose parents always gave into their desires turn out to be spoiled people when they grow up and they treat their parents like crap. That's why I see, relatively, more obedience in desi kids than lets say white.

But I also know that torture can destroy a child's esteem and childhood experiences can greatly shape the way you observe things when you grow up hence I believe in moderation. Moderate love with children and moderate spanking if they do not obey the rules.

And they should not be beaten after a certain age. I believe that age is around 12-14. beating after that severely damages their psyche.

I wonder if Umar (ra) was the man that he was after such a rough and tortuous childhood, how would he have been if he grew up in the luxury like most of us on these forums. Just a thought.
    Last edited by CosmicPathos; 02-19-2010 at 03:11 AM.

Help me to escape from this existence
    I yearn for an answer... can you help me?
    I'm drowning in a sea of abused visions and shattered dreams
    In somnolent illusion... I'm paralyzed
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    syilla's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    save $ 4 hajj
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Thats why we need Islam...

Islam has restricted that if you hit your children...you don't hit the face...not leaving any mark, and don't hit them when you're angry.

How many parents will hit their children when they are not angry???

heart 1 - Violence as Discipline for Children

25:36 And the true servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk the earth with humility and when the ignorant address them, they respond with words of peace.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by syilla View Post
    Thats why we need Islam...

Islam has restricted that if you hit your children...you don't hit the face...not leaving any mark, and don't hit them when you're angry.

How many parents will hit their children when they are not angry???
    That's an excellent point sis! Hitting children is something i have always been dead against. I cry at NSPCC adverts and have an urge to hold a child i see being hit. I can't help it so the thought of my husband hitting my child is too much to bear. He mentioned a story where a prophet nearly killed a child for being disrespecful to his parents. Anyone heard of this?

chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

That's an excellent point sis! Hitting children is something i have always been dead against. I cry at NSPCC adverts and have an urge to hold a child i see being hit. I can't help it so the thought of my husband hitting my child is too much to bear. He mentioned a story where a prophet nearly killed a child for being disrespecful to his parents. Anyone heard of this?
    im not sure about the prophet story...i dun like beating children too...May Allah protect us from that...yes, tough love is needed but anything more than and occasional whip with a cane on the legs is not very good...
    chat Quote

Dagless's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Qadir View Post
    im not sure about the prophet story...i dun like beating children too...May Allah protect us from that...yes, tough love is needed but anything more than and occasional whip with a cane on the legs is not very good...
    That sounds quite extreme.

I'm also against hitting children. How can you beat someone when they barely know who they are, let alone what is expected of them?
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
    That sounds quite extreme.

I'm also against hitting children. How can you beat someone when they barely know who they are, let alone what is expected of them?
    u call that extreme? ok...ur one nice daddy..lol
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    Dagless's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Getting a Wimpy...
    in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Qadir View Post
    u call that extreme? ok...ur one nice daddy..lol
    Not yet but inshallah one day
    I just remeber the canes people got at madrasa, and they weren't nice
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
    Not yet but inshallah one day
    I just remeber the canes people got at madrasa, and they weren't nice
    lucky i've never been to madrasah...madras yes..but not madrasah..lol
    chat Quote

Trumble's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Buddhist
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Violent punishment is the refuge of the incompetent parent.
    chat Quote

Life_Is_Short's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

I have been beaten both at school (typical back home) and by my aunt who taught me Quran. This one time (at school) my teacher twisted my arm so badly that it hurt for a week and we used to get hit with a stick too and sometimes for no reason.

Looking back now i think it was probably a good thing especially in the case of learning Quran.
    Last edited by Life_Is_Short; 02-20-2010 at 07:58 PM.
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The prophet s.a.w said hit the child if he refuses to pray, not if he struggles to learn Qur'an

chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    Life_Is_Short's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

The prophet s.a.w said hit the child if he refuses to pray, not if he struggles to learn Qur'an
    Well, my teachers probably didn't know that at the time.
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Hey there! Violence as Discipline for Children Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. Violence as Discipline for Children