star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

cinema in saudi make a comeback

Report bad ads?

RIYADH ( News Agencies) - Cinema has made a low-key return to Saudi Arabia after a three decade absence but a sharp reaction by the religious police chief shows efforts to relax Saudi's strict Islamic laws face tough opposition.

A locally produced comedy, Menahi, premiered in two cultural centers in Jeddah and Taif this month before mixed-gender audiences, a taboo in Saudi Arabia whose strict Islamic rules ban unrelated men and women from mixing.

Menahi stars new comedy sensation Fayez al-Maliki as a naive Bedouin entangled in a get-rich-quickly scheme in Dubai, the region's tourism and trade hub where lifestyle is far less restricted.

Turnout for the movie, produced by billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal's media company Rotana, was so big the film had to be played eight times a day over a 10-day period, the organizers said.

It had to be stopped in Taif due to overcrowding in the hall, Rotana spokesman Ibrahim Badi said, Reuters reported on Saturday.

Royal Blessing

Showing the film was the latest attempt to introduce reforms by King Abdullah, who has said the world's largest oil exporter cannot stand still while the world changes around it.

Political analysts say Alwaleed could not have gone ahead without the blessing of royals with key decision-making roles.

"We have obtained permission from the Information Ministry and from the governorate of Mecca to show the movie in Jeddah and Taif," Badi said. The province of Mecca is governed by Prince Khaled al-Faisal, a pro-reform son of late King Faisal.

Badi could not immediately say if Rotana intended to show the movie in other provinces of the kingdom.

Rising Anger

While the kingdom's Grand Mufti Sheikh Abdul-Aziz Al al-Shaikh has not commented on the issue, the head of Saudi Arabia's religious police condemned cinemas as a pernicious influence.

Sheikh Ibrahim al-Gaith, head of the feared Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice says that "movie could possibly be acceptable if it serves good and is suitable under Islam," Sheikh Gaith said.

Gaith pulled back from comments he made two days earlier branding movies "an absolute evil" in the wake of screenings in the Red Sea port city.

"I did not say that we reject all cinema, but I said that we were not consulted during the organisation of these movie showings," he explained, AFP reported on Sunday.

Before the first projection of the film, local religious police inspected the facility, a 1,200 seat conference hall, to make sure that men and women would remain separated, adhering to the country's strict laws on separation of unrelated members of the opposite sexes.

For the three showings daily, women sat in the balcony of the hall while men and boys were on the ground floor.

Saudi Arabia had some movie theatres in the 1970s but the conservative clerical establishment managed to snuff out the industry. Saudi film buffs had to travel to neighbours like Bahrain to see movies in cinemas but a new generation of young Saudis has begun making films in recent years.

sourse : islamonline.net

what i dont get is why they don't take measures to educate their youth and overhaul society's thinking under true principles of Islam
    chat Quote

2. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Re: cinema in saudi make a comeback

format_quote Originally Posted by themuffinman View Post
    what i dont get is why they don't take measures to educate their youth and overhaul society's thinking under true principles of Islam
    Seems to me that Saudi Arabia they have done exactly that? Sounds like something that is hard to do though, "overhauling society's thinking"!
    chat Quote

IbnAbdulHakim's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Showing the film was the latest attempt to introduce reforms by King Abdullah, who has said the world's largest oil exporter cannot stand still while the world changes around it.
    this man makes me sick

-
    My tears testify that i have a heart
    yet i feel me and shaytan never part
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Account Disabled
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Greetings,

I'm so glad I've never lived in a country with "religious police".

Peace
    chat Quote

6. Report bad ads?
    KAding's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Atheism
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by czgibson View Post
    Greetings,

I'm so glad I've never lived in a country with "religious police".

Peace
    Well, you stil have vice police and laws on sexual or otherwise explicit content in movies. It is all just a matter of degree!
    chat Quote

Periwinkle18's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    *reading mode*
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

i heard abt it too. its so sad now they're opening a cinema over dere.

Allah made everyone different thats what makes them special,so no matter what ppl say just remember you're SPECIAL!!
    "You are with the one you love"
    Nem0
    080411014129621 zpsf15d01de 1 - cinema in saudi make a comeback

chat Quote

Al-Zaara's Avatar Jewel of IB
    brightness_1
    made of awesome.
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Oh, cool!

If only I had checked myself
    Guy who wrecked himself

True leaders don't create followers...
    .... They create new leaders.
    chat Quote

Wilma_Hum's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    star_rate star_rate star_rate star_rate
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by KAding View Post
    Well, you stil have vice police and laws on sexual or otherwise explicit content in movies. It is all just a matter of degree!
    But isn’t the difference between a nice hot bath and being boiled alive, just a matter of degree?
    chat Quote

~Taalibah~'s Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Oldtimer
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

bah! they ruin the name of Islam.

Welcom to my sites
    ~~~~~~~~~
    chat Quote

12. Report bad ads?
    TrueStranger's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Karin Rika
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

Where in Islam does it say you can’t watch a movie?

It's better if Saudi Arabia and other Muslim nations started making their own movies, which promote Islamic values and beliefs, and attributes, then maybe young Muslims won’t have to watch movies that are created for Western audience.

People really need to stop over-exaggerating staff and take advantage of the technology around you.

70:28 Lo! the doom of their Lord is that before which none can feel secure
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ the day we become like the west is the day we become destroyed

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Karin Rika
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by Fighting4Iman View Post
    Destroyed? Aren't we already a destroyed Ummah? But anyways, we are not becoming like the "West" for merely watching a movie.

Easy there.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by TrueStranger View Post
    Destroyed? Aren't we already a destroyed Ummah? But anyways, we are not becoming like the "West" for merely watching a movie.

Easy there.
    sis remember that to create a huge fire you need small pieces of deviation.

stuff like cinemas contribute

the atmosphere etc should be enough to show you it aint right. music which cant be turned off, kissing scenes which cant be forwarded.

sure you can say depends on what you watch but the fact that those things are in the majority and prime should PUT you off and make you HATE it for the sake of Allaah

-
    -
    chat Quote

wth1257's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

These dichotomies between "the West" and "the Muslim world" are only useful as generalities and vague references. When you treat them as though they have some sort of ontological stability or real existence you miss how intertwined the two are. The Western "enlightenment" was in many ways a harvesting of the fruits planted my Muslim philosophers. While secularism is not firmly imbedded in "the west" this is not the totality of western culture. Like it or not "western" and "Islamic" cultures are inexorably intertwined and we must learn to live together. I don't understand what's unIslamic about movies in themselves. Rather than rejecting them out of hand why not adapt? Learn from the American success of exporting cultural values and norms from through cinema and adapt it to Islam.
    chat Quote

18. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ the typical picture painted by the west is children who treat parents as holidays to be seen and dealt with rarely, mannerisms are completely different and unacceptable to most muslims in many ways (such as freemixing ie handshaking of opposite genders).

Honestly the music/fun live life for the thrill of it culture certainly is NOT entertwined at all with islam.

and that is what i see in the west - people living life to fulfil their desires.... getting eaten by them...

pubs every night, getting drunk for fun etc.. its sickening !

-
    -
    chat Quote

aadil77's Avatar Full Member
    brightness_1
    Glory Be To Allah
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by wth1257 View Post
    These dichotomies between "the West" and "the Muslim world" are only useful as generalities and vague references. When you treat them as though they have some sort of ontological stability or real existence you miss how intertwined the two are. The Western "enlightenment" was in many ways a harvesting of the fruits planted my Muslim philosophers. While secularism is not firmly imbedded in "the west" this is not the totality of western culture. Like it or not "western" and "Islamic" cultures are inexorably intertwined and we must learn to live together. I don't understand what's unIslamic about movies in themselves. Rather than rejecting them out of hand why not adapt? Learn from the American success of exporting cultural values and norms from through cinema and adapt it to Islam.
    Good idea, but you could imagine movies about islam difficult to produce. 'The message' is a good example, it would be difficult not depicting certain people and some movies might have issues over accuratly portraying certain events - due to lack of information. Also how long would it be until the whole islamic history is covered? lol

33 43 1 - cinema in saudi make a comeback
    He it is Who sends blessings on you, as do His angels, that He may bring you out from the depths of Darkness into Light: and He is Full of Mercy to the Believers. [Quran {33:43}]
    www.QuranicAudio.com
    www.Quran.com
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    Karin Rika
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

sis remember that to create a huge fire you need small pieces of deviation.

stuff like cinemas contribute

the atmosphere etc should be enough to show you it aint right. music which cant be turned off, kissing scenes which cant be forwarded.

sure you can say depends on what you watch but the fact that those things are in the majority and prime should PUT you off and make you HATE it for the sake of Allaah
    We have a fire that is blazing and it isn't about cinemas, it is the State the Muslim nations are in. The killing, injustice, and the disunity that is taking place in the Muslim world should receive more attention than this. We as Muslims should be able to create an environment that is clean, friendly and Islamic. Our Cinemas should not be like their cinemas, our movies should not be like their movies, our dramas should not be like their dramas, so on and so forth. If the movies are Islamic then there shouldn't be any kissing or music, or anything that is obscene. .

As i said before if Muslims created their own movies and documentaries which promoted Islamic values, and taught Muslims about Islam, then young Muslims won't have to watch movies that are created for "Western Audience".

I don't watch movies any more, I might watch few documentaries and chef shows, i don't know if you will consider that haram or not. But it would really be nice if there was a Islamic Corporation that carters to the Muslim Youth. We could express ourselves in a halaal manner.

chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Addict
    Religion
    Islam
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ you know i feel sometimes people use the big picture to deflect the small problems.

EVEN if you see cinemas as a small problem that would mean a lot to me.

these days it seems like most people dont even want to recognise it as a problem.. IT IS

it should ALWAYS be avoided.

even before i knew anything about islam my dad use to hate any of us going anywhere near cinema's !

-
    -
    chat Quote

brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77 View Post
    Good idea, but you could imagine movies about islam difficult to produce. 'The message' is a good example, it would be difficult not depicting certain people and some movies might have issues over accuratly portraying certain events - due to lack of information. Also how long would it be until the whole islamic history is covered? lol
    Not necessarily historical narratives, but just ordinary movies of acceptable morality, but one that placed Islam in a positive light rather than the "OMG! Da Moluems is gonna blow me up!!!" that one usually sees in so many movies.

I understand how difficult it would be to compete with Hollywood though. Much of Islam's glory days were marked by an amazing ability to adapt to and improve external traditions in so far as they were compatible with Islam. Look at Al-Ghazali. Rather than reflexively rejecting Greek Philosophy as "UnIslamic" like some scholars he carefully studied it, discovered 20 doctrines that were incompatible with Islam, and adapted the rest to further Islam.
    chat Quote

24. Report bad ads?
    brightness_1
    IB Senior Member
    Religion
    Unspecified
    Threads
    Rep Ratio
    Likes Ratio

^ you know i feel sometimes people use the big picture to deflect the small problems.

EVEN if you see cinemas as a small problem that would mean a lot to me.

these days it seems like most people dont even want to recognise it as a problem.. IT IS

it should ALWAYS be avoided.

even before i knew anything about islam my dad use to hate any of us going anywhere near cinema's !
    But what is inately wrong with Cinema?
    chat Quote

26. Hide
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Hey there! cinema in saudi make a comeback Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and share your thoughts. cinema in saudi make a comeback